Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What do you have to present to Butz to show him Cindy loved him back? I missed that. Otherwise enjoying this series for the first time on Steam, doing the 2nd trial right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The clock.

Oh gently caress I am dumb ya I forgot he literally says it was a gift for her but didn't he then give to Mia so I didn't think of that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The problem solving of this game is great so far but I really love the personality/humor it has. The bellboy trying to commercialize his hotel after a murder in trial 2 was hilarious.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

i went back a few pages in this thread. remember when we were expecting a new game on switch along with new ports of 1-3 AND 4-6 all in 2018? :smith:

Whenever Capcom release hd remasters or collection they often have something else coming for it as well(Megaman/DMC).

I am still in game 1 of the trilogy but the 2nd trial when you go on trial after Maya made no sense. So the entire first testimony was bs now? That seemed kinda odd.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Get used to it. Witnesses bullshit, misremember, etc. a LOT in this series.

Hah ok. That's my only complain but it kinda makes things even funnier.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

The Japanese court system is like the US, prosecutors have unbelievable amounts of leeway to shove lovely evidence to trial and an absurd amount of chances to contort their evidence to fit. A defending attorneys single greatest achievement is convincing their client not to sign a confession and actually defending their client at trial is a distant second.

Basically your objective is to assume a prosecutor did enough due diligence to build a case but not enough to make it airtight; they just went with whatever was easiest.

Ya I remember reading some article that the conviction rate in Japan absurdly high, so if you get trialed you almost always lose.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Feels good when Edgeworth attacks his own witness.

One thing I wasn't really expecting the humor/writing in this to be this good. I remember watching Danganronpa's anime and it felt so jarring whenever there was humor because the deaths were all so gruesome(and mainly kids). In Ace Attorney there is murder but the light hearted parts are done so well that you can feel bad but then also laugh at Maya/Gumshoe being a dork.

Also how the heck did no one in court notice that Mia was next to Phoenix Wright when they had just gone through her murder case the last time...Because I thought it was just Nick who could see the different forms but other people also comment on her being different.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also it is weird that people treat Nick like a rookie despite him beating like the best prosecutor in his first few cases. The old judge always throws shade at Nick.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i think you will find that every game is about edgeworth, and phoenix wright's love, and pointing at each other in freudian metaphor

and don't forgetting slamming their desks for no reason.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't played Layton Vs Ace Attorney, I am still going through the trilogy for the first time but from what I remember of Layton the first game. It had almost no humor. I mean the side characters are weird and eccentric but it's not really funny. Also Layton has that little boy as his assistant meanwhile Nick has Maya who is basically a bundle of joy in human form, I never really got attached to Layton's assistant, he seemed to just be there to ask Layton dumb questions.

Also the puzzles in Layton games are very hit n miss. Some are pure fun but others make you feel like you are back in school but you don't really feel that way in Ace Attorney. That being said I am honestly interested in the combo but have no desire to play on a handheld. Hopefully they release the other AA games on PC in another trilogy and that comes along with it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Man I'd hate to play any of these games on anything but a handheld, they were made for playing in bed.

Ya I normally just read something if I am on my bed because I feel like reading sitting is way too uncomfortable.

Also after finishing this game will I be able to represent myself in court if I accidentally get accused of murder? If not gently caress this game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just noticed the confetti's when you get the verdict, I've never been to court so maybe it is true..

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Am at the rise of the ashes right now and man the cough up queen aka lunchbox lady has committed an insane amount of perjury even for an Ace Attorney game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know if this happens to anyone else but sometimes it feels like you solve a certain part of the case but the game won't accept the answer until you get to a certain point in the trial. Like in one of the cases I already knew it was impossible for the witness to witness the crime with her current testimony and I kept presenting the right evidence but that only became relevant in a following testimony.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Podima posted:

Yep you're not alone there, it happens from time to time and is one of the few frustrating things that can happen when playing.

Dragonatrix posted:

Can only ever think of

Good to see I am not the only getting annoyed by this.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the first game in the trilogy, The Rise from Ashes is probably the best case. Turnabout Goodbyes felt like mini Rise from the Ashes with a past case being relevant.
Way less comedy in this case during the trial but Ema(Poor mans Mia) was still funny during investigations. Also this case felt more "serious" than the others. Damon Gant and Lana Sky were both really unlikeable for different reasons.

Hopefully the 2nd game is as good, I did have to give up on some testimonies cause I couldn't figure out which evidence to present even though I knew what had happened. The last case was pretty obvious after you figure out there was no double murder after that point it felt very obvious even the switchback surprise that happens at the end wasn't that surprising from the midway point. Still great case though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I hated in the first game is how everyone treats you like some lucky rookie when basically you poo poo on Von Karma and Edgeworth(multiple times) both whom are the best prosecutors.
Japanese sure do love their underdog story, they also do this anime, they keep trying to push the MC as an underdog despite him always randomly overpowering the baddies.
I mean in games at least it makes sense since the player's skill will be low at the start so it makes sense in the narrative if he also is a rookie or sucks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

chumbler posted:

Everyone loves underdogs, frequently inaccurately both in the underdog being the hero or even being an underdog at all, to the detriment of many things. I don't know why you would pin that as uniquely Japanese.

No it's not purely a Japanese thing but in Japanese media it's a lot more abundant. Like many shounen character is the same, powerless/hardworking type of character. That's why the satire on shounen anime is One Punch Man who is the total opposite of that when the show starts.
Basically my point still stands as how everyone thinks Nick is so incompetent when he has already shown to have beaten the best prosecutors in his 2nd and 3rd case.

Best part of the end of the trial is when the guilty person completely go hysterical. Wellington was such a good character for tutorial trial, I wish there was a way to read what they say when they talk super fast. Also I always struggle in the tutorial trial because there is no context and I always forget you can use profiles as evidence. Is that something that happens a lot in game 2?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Everybody treating Phoenix like some idiot is explained by the system treating defense attorneys like trash.

If he was smart he'd be a prosecutor see.

To be fair Phoenix is an idiot, so many times I've figured out the case and have to wait for the game/Phoenix to get to that realization so I can present the evidence. It's just that everyone else is stupider than Phoenix.

That Wellington guy who calls you a third rate lawyer who studied in a no name college was funny as hell. Do any of the small characters from previous games ever comeback? I saw in JFA the first trial Maggey is wearing a blue badger t shirt.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was actually thinking of using a fan patch or something down the line but this is fantastic news. I wonder if the soundtrack is as fire as the regular series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Fear not, the soundtrack is transcendant

One of the few VNs where I get excited for the soundtrack.