Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Franziska was kind of that way in T&T. She did nothing underhanded, and she'd only whip Nick, Larry and the Judge. Well, and Edgey if he pressed Bikini about her bath time. She kind of regressed in Investigations, but she was in a pretty good place at the end of Investigations 2.

Also I beat Spirit of Justice. It had some of the issues I also had with DD, but on the whole, it was an excellent Ace Attorney game. I did pretty heavily dislike how (endgame spoiler) the motivation for every case 5 character and their grandmother was "blackmail," with the exception of the actual main villain and Inga, the one character for whom it would have been an interesting twist.

It may also have had the most on-point cast of any Ace Attorney game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AlphaKretin posted:

It's not even like it's hard to imagine a legitimate for Phoenix to support him, I can see the closest friend of the Fey family having a stake in the Orb's identity as the Crystal of Ami Fey.

E: Huh, that's almost a joke about Final Fantasy 1. Debating whether something plot important is an orb or a crystal. :v:

(still case 5-1 stuff) And it wouldn't be that unreasonable to conclude that it would be safer to keep the Founder's Orb out of Khura'in for as long as Paul Atishon's benefactor was at large. Boom, Phoenix opposes you because he genuinely believes you're in the wrong.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-3 is the worst in the series for many reasons, including having a notably sloppier localization job than any other case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've gotten to 1-5 in my series replay and it feels super weird to be against a prosecutor who respects your opinion, refrains from manipulating testimony and doesn't call you stupid nicknames. I was kind of hoping that's how Nahyuta would be when he was described as a devoted monk and gentleman, but alas. Also Edgeworth has yet to physically abuse anyone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My main bug about Robin is that Japan apparently has some really weird notions on what constitutes hypermasculinity.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I do wonder why this character in a comedic visual novel would have traits that are highly over emphasised on both their masculine and feminine personas. I wonder if this character was being played for humour and levity as opposed to being a serious social commentary on being forced to play a gender role you do not identify with in society. Nah, surely not.

I have no idea what you think I'm saying.

I just think it's weird that the entirety of Robin's male persona is "shouts a lot" and "smashes pottery," and everyone around her goes "wow, what a man's man."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I, for one, am ready to face off against a grown and tempered prosecutor who is Debeste.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Agreed. I'm playing through the last case of AAI2 right now and I really like how the game kind of calls you out for basically bullying a child throughout the entire game. Debeste had a good character arc and I'd like to see him again in some capacity (maybe as Edgeworth's Apollo/Athena)

Plus, his second theme is too great to not be used again

I wouldn't say "bullying." Everyone else treats him like poo poo, but Edgey is the first person to actually challenge Sebastian, which is what kicks off his character arc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
5-3 did at least give you a fantastic sidekick who understandably never got around to doing any sidekicking in AA6.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It kind of gets glossed over, but Apollo Justice was definitely the best looking game in the series. The sprites in that game were just lovely, and it's especially noticeable if you replay it after having played DD or SoJ. 3D Apollo is still cool because he got a bunch of good investigation phase animations, but Trucy and Klavier look noticeably worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AJ in general had a really solid soundtrack. I dig the synth jazz theme.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silver95280 posted:

6-4 :(:argh: Our old friend: The Dying Message.

1-2, 1-5, 2-1, 3-5, 5-1 (sorta).

I thought this was in more than five cases. Did either AJ or the AAI games do this?

4-3 had one written by the actual victim, and I-1 had "GUMSHOE"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gumshoe is chief of detectives, not police. Try to keep up. Also Phoenix manages to run a (vacant!) law office and raise a child for seven years as a hobo. The man does not need paying clients to get by.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Phantom never really struck a chord with me. Pointing them out was a twist, sure, but it was far weaker than any of the other big finale twists.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 24, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

cloofish posted:

I mean the fact that the Phantom was someone you've known throughout the game was pretty cool. I'm not going to say it's unprecedented in Ace Attorney, because it's not, but it was a legitimately awesome twist, the kind that makes you look back on the entire game.

He isn't really, though. The Phantom is two completely different characters before and after the reveal. As soon as the cat is out of the bag, he's a lovely liar who can't keep a straight face, but when you look back on the game, there's never a crack in his facade or any indication that there's more to the character than meets the eye. Even Athena, who specializes in hearing emotions and poo poo, never picks up on anything.

Also "some foreign government paid him to do it" is by far the weakest motivation of any villain in the series, let alone main villains.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
3-5 is kind of a special case. I had the killer spoiled for me by accident, but due to the way it was set up I was still caught off guard.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wyvernil posted:

Also, it's interesting how it feels like they weaved in elements from previous final cases in the series for this case. You've got the final prosecutor being the true culprit, and manipulating the main prosecutor into taking the fall for it (AA1). And you've got the culprits attempting to manipulate Phoenix by taking Maya hostage (AA2). And finally, you've got one of the key players in the case being a loving ghost (AA3).

Also the Queens were basically Morgan and Misty dialed up to 11

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"What's crack-a-lacking, homies" and talking about burgers are by far the best Nahyuta moments, alas

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I rank AAI2 much lower than most people around these parts, but it did definitely fix every single issue I had with AAI1.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Godot played totally fair, believed in the guilt of the defendant, and opposed Phoenix for personal reasons rather than some obsession with a perfect record. He prosecuted by building rapport with witnesses and adapting to developments and arguments on the fly. Also he was just cool as heck. Every main series prosecutor since has tried and failed to be Godot. Blackquill is by far the most successful of those, and he does have the advantage of getting to hang around and be a huge weeb after the conclusion of his arc, but he still can't match up to original recipe Godot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I never got the impression Godot believed in the guilt of the defendant, or if that was even important to him. I thought it was all about him proving Phoenix Wright to be a stupid loser.

Well he seemed convinced of Ron DeLite's guilt right up until the end. He may have been a bit iffy on Maggey's guilt after meeting the Tiger, I'll grant.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"...Upon meeting a beautiful lady, always ask for her name and profession. That's one of my rules."

"Ha...! Well, I guess I owe you one then. But you can go now, princess. It's time for the big boys to take the reins."

"Hey, Filly. Know your role, and shut your mouth. I can't stand women like you."

Also his whole "kitten" thing with Mia.

A character can be flawed and cool also.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, yeah, that's the point of his character. Misty died because of Godot's pride and hatred, while Phoenix was the one who carried on Mia's legacy and foiled Morgan's schemes. Godot's faults are part of his character, unlike Klavier who plays fair except when he feels like withholding evidence for the fun of it, or Nahyuta who's serene and a gentleman except when he spends the entire game being a total dickweed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well Godot had intended to save everyone, and just did a poo poo job and admitted he was an idiot fucker at the end. Acro had consciously decided to murder the child his brother loved and only apologized harm caused to the unintended victims. Intent matters a great deal.

E: They weren't dating until after that case. There's a whole thing where he calls her Mia at the end because she's earned his respect.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure how you can hate his AA2 or 3 appearances either. His appearance in 2 was the high point of the game, and it was the first time you went up against a prosecutor who wasn't hostile or working hard at putting innocents in jail. Miles von Karma in AA3, besides being badass in his own regard, was sandwiched between Godot and the return of Franziska, and highlighted how different the former was as a prosecutor as well as how much the latter had grown since AA2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You should go full chronological next time and play I2-3 (until the start of the final segment), I-4 and 3-4 first.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

Not only did that predate the court system overhaul, Yogi was declared innocent due to insanity, a dirty strategy used by his lawyer that kinda ruined his life since he had to ACT crazy to get it to stick.

Learn the lore.

I never got how that worked. Was it declared that he could not possibly have killed a dude because he was busy suffering brain damage, or was the insanity plea just a freebie that allowed for a complete acquittal even if you did kill someone?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Special episode Investigation 1: I am going to be real let down if it turns out that the butler did it.

E:

Clarste posted:

A plea of insanity means that, although you killed a person, you did not have the requisite mental state to commit the crime of murder because you didn't understand what you were doing in some sense. In that sense it's become legally considered an accident, sort of. In that a death happened, but it's no one's fault. However, you'd probably get yourself committed to a mental hospital instead of just walking free.

Mental state (known as mens rea) is an important element in most crimes, but especially murder. If you accidentally killed someone, for example, that's manslaughter.

I get that, but that doesn't explain how DL-6 was considered unsolved for the following 15 years. If Yanni Yogi had been conclusively ruled as the shooter, that would have meant the case was solved. Plus the whole reason Misty Fey and spirit channeling had been tarred as fraudulent was because she had claimed that he was the culprit, regardless of mens rea. I can handwave that he was released to the streets without evaluation or institutionalization, but it is pivotal to the case that Yanni Yogi was ruled to not be the shooter, and I'm not sure how an insanity ruling gets around that.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 29, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Beat the DLC case. It was pretty okay, but definitely no Turnabout Reclaimed.

Villain transformations are definitely overplayed at this point. Going from steampunk butler to nonsense surgeon isn't even a transformation that makes sense, and it felt like you were taking down a completely different character in the end.

Sorin annoyed me a lot in the beginning, but I liked his twist and how it tied into the "time traveler" theme.

Sad that Apollo was entirely absent, but I guess it makes sense. I like how Athena spent the entire case getting snubbed like he did in 5-6.

Ema had the strongest showing of any recurring character. It's nice to see her working with a prosecutor who isn't awful.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What was Edgeworth's reason for choosing death before Rise from the Ashes was made, anyway?

It went from Phoenix clearing Edgeworth of his father's murder to "Thanks, Wright. Going to kill myself now. ttyl".

I guess that's why they went back and added the case.

He spent most of his life going against his father's legacy at the hands of the man who turned out to have orchestrated the whole thing and was just using Miles as a pawn in a supremely hosed revenge scheme. Then he gets betrayed by said evil mentor and gets a taste of von Karma justice. Then he realizes that he's doled out the exact same thing to possibly hundreds of innocent people.

That messes up a boy way badder than anything that happened to him in 1-5.

Maple Leaf posted:

e: also, would anyone happen to know the name of the song that plays in case 5 when Apollo realizes that Dhurke's been dead the whole time?

A Cornered Heart

smenj posted:

I know it hardly makes up for the rest of them if you thought they were all lacking, but you didn't mention (Case 2) Retinz's breakdown, which I thought was amazing.

Well, everything about Retinz is amazing so that almost goes without saying.

E: 1-3 is also a solid breakdown.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

DLC Case

Speaking of Edgeworth, I thought he was acting kinda dickish for post-enlightenment Edgeworth, especially his multiple calls to end the trial immediately. If you care about the truth so much why are you in such a big rush, you dickhead?

Yeah, I thought the same. The writing in the whole case seemed a bit 'off' to me in a way I can't quite put my finger on. It's kinda weird coming from the same team who did Investigations 2 and Edgeworth's part in Dual Destinies

Also, what is Blackquill up to these days, aside from being a weeb and tough loving on Athena? Edgeworth makes numerous references to the prosecutor's office being full of crooks and bitches and that's why he has to ship in Nahyuta or take on cases himself, but he went to great lengths to get Simon off the hook and it seems weird that he doesn't even get mentioned in passing. Also I guess we're still pretending Gavin is a competent prosecutor and he's around.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
1-3 is the only case in the old trilogy to have Phoenix and Maya facing off against Edgeworth. Every other case has had a different assistant or prosecutor.

E: Oh, and I guess day two of 1-2. That makes my observation less exciting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AA6 did a much better job throwing curveballs than AA5 in general. The only thing I managed to predict about 6-5 before the case started was that Dhurke would be the defendant, and even that was only half true and the follow-up twist took me way off guard.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At least Nahyuta didn't say he was gonna take away your badge every other time you cross-examined someone, or spend the entire game undermining the best character in said game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished Case 3 at last and jesus was the truth behind that one of the most depressing things. And as an added bonus, I do believe that was the first case of the main series where one of the victims was really a suicide. I didn't even figure it out until midway through the Thought Route, because of how unexpected it was for this series I'm kind of an idiot and it should've been more obvious once Puhray's real murder location was revealed.

You're forgetting Magnifi Gramarye

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The three flowers he actually knows are sunflowers, tulips and possibly roses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Apollo Justice had the best investigation segments in the series as a whole, as well as the best case 1. Case 4-4 was solid as heck until the final trial day, which belly flopped like that olympic diver. It's a real shame it didn't stick the landing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

Apollo Justice has a great:

Case 1

Apollo Justice has a bad:

Case 2, Case 3, Case 4, prosecutor, mentor character, character arc for the protagonist.

Also, large parts of what makes case 1 interesting are later made bad when the game fails to account for the motivations of the major players in the case. It's a case that raises interesting questions the game never gets around to answering.

Case 2 is good and case 4 is like three quarters good stuff. Even case 3 at least has good investigation segments.

Klavier is poo poo, but hobo Nick and Kristoph are cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Perfect Potato posted:

Almost the entirety of the first case 2 trial is Wesley the Panty Snatcher, case 2 is not Good

I'm sorry you hate good witnesses.

Momomo posted:

Having the assistant be the killer is not a good plot twist when you don't even know the assistant at all. The drama in 4-1 fell completely flat to me because of that, and felt more like a cheap twist.

The twist was that you obviously thought Olga was the killer (she even has a costume change!) until Phoenix drops the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
AJ Ema is actually supremely good and she's only grumpy when Klavier gives her poo poo postings and withholds key information for shits and giggles. She's her old self when she actually gets to do forensics, and she has a good working relationship with Apollo because they get along and respect each other. You can be a complete, well-rounded character without being steeped in high-stakes personal drama and tragic tortured history.