Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I was planning on going in order of release.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

beat the first case, almost got stuck on the second part of the Divination thing, but I managed to stumble into the answer. Game's not bad so far. I like being able to keep up with the pace of the mysteries without it being too obvious and dumb, and also without it being too obtuse and hard to figure out on your own, and so far it's kept that pace.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i'm about halfway through case 2 and I'm somewhat baffled at the order of the information being presented. After they show off the note signed by Trucy that says she knew about the "prank" (which is a pretty stupid twist btw, but I'll see how it goes after I'm done with the case) I expected that we would have to bring up the potential for the signature to be faked through that bogus clipboard. Instead, they all panic and the judge is about to decide a verdict, and suddenly we're talking about the murder weapon instead? It doesn't seem like a very natural transition at all. It makes no difference if we assert that Trucy actually used a rubber sword onstage then, as opposed to earlier. Why wasn't that one of the first things brought up? The argument Apollo gives is super flimsy too. "Well, maybe the blood was tampered with after the fact!" This case started off strong but this whole bit feels really bad to me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Uuugh I can't believe I'm going to have to put up with Trucy again. I suppose there's no way to just skip the Apollo sections..?

Apollo's awesome, Trucy is cool, and Athena sucks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OK I finished case 2. Aside from the thing I complained about earlier it was pretty good.

I called the twins twist as soon as they talked about how mysterious her teleportation trick was, and how different her personality seemed. But then I figured that was too ridiculous and they already had that twist in the third game, and just figured she was two-faced. But then it actually came up and go figure, I was right. I also called Retinz being Mr. Reus when Trucy pointed out his disappearing camera was a high level magic trick, but again I thought it was a little too absurd but once again, the game proved me wrong and I was actually right. The reverse fingerprints was a good final bit of evidence, a nice detail that kind of went under the radar until it finally mattered, I liked that. Overall a solid case. All the lawyer and defendant hate is getting old though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

The hardest part of Case 2 for me was presenting the clipboard when you press Retinz, I assumed it wouldn't work because you couldn't connect it to him. I did try the contract though, so that pissed me off when I finally selected the clipboard and Apollo starts talking about the loving contract I'd tried before.

This also pissed me off.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As an aside to everything, the idea of specifically Apollo being involved in increasingly more difficult to localize japanese culture cases is really funny to me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fronz posted:

Athena is cool out of the court but analytical psychology sucks

gimmicks are aight in investigations, but courtrooms don't need gimmicks, especially ones that are completely obvious like "why is ___ happy that their friend died??"

this is what i meant when i said athena sucks

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Halfway through case 3.

Just saw the picture of baby Apollo in the rebel base. Somebody kill me please.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Halfway through case 3.

Just saw the picture of baby Apollo in the rebel base. Somebody kill me please.

I'll say this about my spoiler (just my initial impression, and opinion): If the game pulls this off right it might just be the best Ace Attorney game ever, but if it doesn't, it could be complete trash and ruin the series. They're playing a dangerous game here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Case 3

I'm glad Inmee get dressed again before reverting to Maya, but I'm not sure the whole topless dude thing needed to happen. Poor Maya :(

Good case though

I wish he didn't get dressed again before reverting :mrgw:

Man Case 3 was fuckin bonkers man. I had no clue what was going on near the end. I was certain that Mrs. Inmee was going to be Lady Kee'rah or whatever, as soon as I saw she had the steel samurai watch in the photo, and that would be evidence in the Seance, but things took a tragic turn there and I didn't even consider suicide until the answer was staring me in the face at the end. What a wild ride.

whole game speculation: And Dhurke is totally Apollo's dad. Datz said Apollo was his adopted son but the dude has the exact same eyebrows. I bet the prosecutor was the adopted son.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just starting case 4.

did this rear end in a top hat seriously fly out to America the day after case 3? What the gently caress.

Also, I don't think I'm ready for this lady's balloons...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cas 4 is single handedly being saved by Simon Blackquill. This case sucks except for him.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Well Case 4 is certainly, uh, a thing that happens. It kinda feels like (Case 4 Spoilers) someone tapped them on the shoulder and reminded the devs Simon needed his sequel cameo, so they wrote a random case he's pretty much the best part of. I think it kind of hurts Athena as a lawyer, though, because almost every single big breakthrough is

"blackquill help me nahyuta is scary"
"OKAY CYKES-DONO *SMASHES PODIUM*"

Speaking of that, Nahyuta is at peak petty rear end in a top hat during that case. Really? You're trying to incite the GALLERY?

I was okay with it because Blackquill's cool and funny, and he can carry it, but the whole case doesn't feel that strong as a whole. Geiru is a pretty lame villain (Except for her balloon sword) and it just feels like it lacks the best part of any AA case, which is the big "HOLY poo poo" twist that makes everything click. Also the game's understanding of Dissociative Identity Disorder is on par with Metal Gear Solid's understanding of genetics ("I GOT ALL THE RECESSIVE GENES"), but it's Ace Attorney so that doesn't really matter, "believability" isn't really the most important thing.

Apparently Case 5 is amazing though, so I'm looking forward to it.

I just beat case 4 and this is 100% my thoughts as well, except I'd use stronger language like "it sucks rear end" and "I hated it all, except for Simon". Honestly I don't understand people calling it their favorite "filler" case at all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

It might not be as good as the Orca classic, but (6-4)the characters were generally likeable, and crucially it didn't overstay its welcome. Not having to slog through an investigation phase immediately puts it pretty high up compared to most filler cases.

A poo poo case being short so you don't have to deal with its shittiness outside of the courtroom is a pretty poor defense of it. The case was an excuse to have Simon be awesome, and come up with more gimmicks for Athena to use her mood matrix on.

I don't know if the Japanese-ness of the case affected my enjoyment, but I think it's more the disconnect I felt with the cast. Athena is literally thrown into the case on trial day with no knowledge of anyone involved. I get that they did it so they could have a case for Athena to solve on her own with limited info (by which I mean save time and money by making a short trial only case).

I actually think the case would have benifited greatly from having investigation portions, so we, as the player, could actually have a better connection to the characters involved and actually given context to how they all relate to each other. The clown chick was a weak villain because we didn't know anything about her outside of court. The whole emotional crux of the case is the relationships between these characters and their master, and that couldn't be effectively conveyed only in court, so it falls flatter than the ballon girl's chest.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

^ (not quoting to avoid case 5 spoilers) I guess that's where we disagree, because I didn't think it was good in the first place :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just started case 5 seriously this wasted no time and I already can't handle this. i thought maybe they'd tiptoe around the issue but nope, this is what I'm greeted to right off the bat. The man is right here, in the office, in front of Charley.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I legitimately can't figure out how "Athena is bad at her job" comes from this and doesn't apply to literally every lawyer in the franchise. Phoenix Wright had to be saved by his dead mentor coming back from the afterlife on multiple occasions.

it's annoying because Athena seems to be characterized solely by the fact that she's young and inexperienced. Phoenix obviously was inexperienced at a point but by the third game you actually got the feeling that he was competent and experienced. I'm not saying Athena is supposed to be super competent, but I am saying that her inexperience is an obnoxiously big part of her character. Have I mentioned that Athena sucks?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm nearing the end of case 5 (i think, anyway) and I think I can say this case is dumb. sorry folks, but the game is bad. Case 2 and especially case 3 were really good but a broken watch is only right twice a day. Ace Attorney is dead. Unless somehow the ending of the case redeems all the dumb stuff that's happened so far, but we will see.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nahyuta is "confessing" his crime of killing Igna, and I think the way he has been handled this case has been dumb as hell. Sure, he's being manipulated to go along with the queen, but jesus, it's so dumb how comically evil Ga'ran is. She looks like an anime version of the witch from Snow White. One of her royal guards shot Amara right in the courtroom as she was about to name her as the murderer. I don't think this case is awful but it's definitely dumb. I'll have more to say when I'm finished, but that's where I am right now. I'm sure there's still some crazy stuff on the horizon when we get into the assassination attempt and Jove Justice, but for now it's all really dumb. I'm saying dumb a lot because it's the best word to describe it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

All of this is cool as heck!!!!

It's not awful, and I don't completely hate it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Turnabout Storyteller is a good case and I will write a strongly worded post towards anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Go for it, dude.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

while im here im gonna ask for help because I'm stumped. case 5 later part of trial 2 on Jove's Divination Seance, after I point out that the hand in the vision is wearing gloves, I have no idea what comes next.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nova Odin posted:

Both the hand and wrist should be clearer in the reflection now.

oh duh. I was overthinking it. I actually thought it looked like Dhurke's sleeve, lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

well i beat it. Here's some thoughts on everything, mostly on case 5

Before I played the second half of Case 5, I was willing to say that this game was the best Ace Attorney fanfiction I've ever read. Case 1 was ok, case 2 was great, case 3 was amazing (probably the best case from the last three games), case 4 sucks, and the first part of case 5 was pretty good. Even the investigation part of Case 5 Part 2 was looking hopeful. Some of it was dumb and fanservicey (Edgeworth) but it wasn't bad. But then it started getting dumber and dumber.

A lot of what makes case 5 dumb are the details surrounding the key points of the mystery. I think the main twists with the spirit channeling being used to cover up the murder, and the twist that Dhurke was also dead, were good. I also liked the fact that Datz and Ahlbi's nonsense in the bazaar ended up being vital in establishing the real time of death. That's the good kind of silliness that can be put in a serious and important case (like Larry in 3-5). However, everything else seems very stupid when you look at it.

For starters, is Igna just an idiot? We're lead to believe he wanted spiritual power from the Founder's Orb, but he didn't know the founder's name, and more importantly, even if he did get that power, he could never use it because of his "can't see faces" syndrome. I thought for sure that would be brought up and there would be another element to his plan to get the founder's orb but I guess not? Dumb.

Why have Amara be such an important part of the case as a suspect when they're showing absolutely no subtlety with Ga'ran? For a short while I was willing to believe that Amara was just as villainous as Ga'ran or perhaps even more so, but that got shot down pretty quickly, literally. Maybe if Ga'ran was not so blatantly evil from the minute she steps into the courtroom, there would be room for doubt, and it would make it more believable that Amara was the culprit. It honestly makes no sense to me at all why they start the trial with Ga'ran at the prosecutor's bench. Even if you think her evil anime spider witch outfit is cool as hell, wouldn't it be better to save that reveal for when you formally accuse her? Dumb.

Why did anyone even believe Nahyuta when he tried to confess to the crime? He just said he did it with no evidence. Nobody asked "well how did you get there? how did you hide yourself from witnesses? what about the channeling?" It's so obvious that he couldn't have done it if you think about it at all. I get that the whole reason behind it is to have you figure out why he's protecting Ga'ran, but surely they could have found a better angle to work that in. Dumb.

This isn't necessarily a mark against the case, but I really thought there was going to be a deeper mystery hidden behind the assassination attempt, and Jove Justice's presence, but it turned out a lot more straightforward than I thought. Not dumb, just whatever.

The last bit with Ga'ran going nuts and all the dudes pointing their guns at you was dumb but I don't know if it was good dumb or bad dumb. I do think that the final mystery that the queen didn't actually have any spiritual power was anticlimactic, especially since I figured it out as soon as she started threatening Nahyuta with the DC Act. I think the case as a whole just bit off a little bit more than it could chew.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

meristem posted:

Late Case 5 Day 2 and ohgod this is so dumb are they implying that Ga'ran used Dhurke's clothes to kill Inga and then patiently dressed back the several-day-old body? I really hope that's not it.

oh yeah I totally forgot about this too. And wouldn't his clothes have bullet holes in them? wouldn't they notice the bullet holes???

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Case 5: Re: Inga those aren't really problems for him. Amara knew the founder's name and he could easily get it out of her by just getting Rayfa to ask. He was also probably planning to give the power to Rayfa so she could take over as queen immediately - she'd likely do whatever he needed her to anyway.

This is what I was thinking as well, but it would have been nice if they were explicit about it somewhere.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

2-3 is the worst in the series but I don't think it deserves all the vitriol it gets. Moe is far less annoying than I remember and it had one of my favourite resolutions

2-3 The ending didn't involve you catching the cartoon villain doing something cartoonishly villainous. Acro was a decent person who had enough of someone unknowingly shirking their responsibility for him and his brother's life changing injuries. And he ended up killing the only person other than his brother who ever cared about him. It was unsatisfying in a good way.

On the other hand, gently caress that ventriloquist guy.

I agree with this completely, except I don't know if 2-3 is the worst in the series.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The reason Nahyuta confesses is because the entirety of case 5 is to demonstrate Apollo's progression and just how far he's come as a lawyer by taking on Phoenix's greatest hits (Von Karma with an engineered confession and a higher, evil attorney taking over, Engarde with Phoenix roped into defending a client who is coercing him, Dahlia with two very similar sisters, one of whom is good and the other evil, with a strong spiritual connection for one of them) on in an extremely narrow span of time and defeating all of them. It's a little contrived but it worked well for me and it was a great sendoff for Apollo.

I see the parallels, but contrived is the perfect word for them, and in a bad way, at least in my opinion.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't believe I'm commenting on this, but you're an idiot if you think Robin is the reason 5-3 loving sucks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if Pearl became a prosecutor.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Did anyone else think that (whole game spoilers) Dhurke was going to turn out to be Apollo's biological father somehow? I thought for sure he was when I saw the picture in case 3. They've got the same pointy eyebrow thing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I came across the gamexplain review of this game, and the dude was harsher than i was on it. I agree with him though about most of it, though I think case 3's twist was really good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sprites >>>> 3d models

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh absolutely I don't disagree with you there. That's why I had to disqualify them to call AA2's the best. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBymcg6lDWY

this makes me wanna replay AAI2 sometime. The investigations games were made after apollo justice, right?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Phoenix is still milking Will Powers for all he's worth. I wouldn't be surprised if he's secretly blackmailing Ron DeLite either.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

So I'm...some amount of the way into the second trial day of case 5, probably nearing the end, and I just have to say I get how necessary it is to have the one-on-one with Nahyuta that shows him the error of his ways and that he doesn't need to shackle himself to Ga'ran anymore and whatnot, but it's also really goofy that we spend all that time proving how the murderer did the deed and the necessity of channeling and all, but then Nahyuta can just jump behind the witness stand, say he did the crime and the judge is all but willing to just go with it without any need to go into details about how he could have done it in the face of all the evidence.

yeah

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Hey is this going to function as the general Ace Attorney thread now? I'm going to be playing some AAI2 now before the AA6 DLC drops, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with irrelevant conversation.

It's always relevant to talk about the best game in the series.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Franziska is probably almost last in terms of prosecutors, only just above Klavier. She's terrible to fight and basically relies on attacking you rather than interesting gimmicks and drained the satisfaction of victory when she beat Phoenix unconscious after he won.

I'd honestly rank the prosecutors as Edgeworth > Von Karma > Blackquill > Godot > Ga'ran > Nahyuta > Franziska > Klavier.

Franziska getting better outside of course doesn't make her any less crappy as a prosecutor you face.

I personally do not think that the spoiler thing listed here should count.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Why wouldn't it count?

Because I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Godot's sexism drops him far for me

Yeah, the antagonistic character having a negative quality to give you a reason to hate him more is bad.