Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
ema is fine

I hope this game will be too

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't like the first case a whole lot, mainly because of that long, long introduction and how contrived that setup was for the whole thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fronz posted:

The intro was a little too long but the case was fun. I was annoyed that it took Phoenix so long to figure out how to open the box.

I tried presenting the lyrics twice before I was actually able to, I wasn't a fan of that. Metal Jesus gimmick should probably have been more endearing to me, but coming off the last game it came off as "people liked Marlon, right? Let's do that guy again." except without anywhere near as good a character design.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Case 2 ending spoiler: I like that, for all Retinz' gloating about how he finally got one over on the Gramaryes, that "uninvolved" lawyer he credited with taking him down is themselves a Gramarye.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

What broke you about him, Alcharagia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

he made ema eat snackoos again. this sort of evil is on another level from simple prosecutional cruelty :mad:

:yeah:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

How did it take ten games for Ace Attorney to do a twins twist? (Case 2)

It didn't? It was a thing in at least one case in the original trilogy, and probably two.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nobody knows it's forged until after the fact. Where immediately upon realising Apollo decks Phoenix in the face and storms out.

Well, one guy knew but admitting to it would confirm he was guilty and he had no adequate proof of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
hi I just got to case 5's 2nd day of the trial and what the gently caress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
no seriously what the gently caress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Actually, going by twitter, it is in fact a poo poo game with bad names that doesn't hold a candle to the greatness that is Apollo Justice.

I loving hate this fanbase sometimes.

Apollo Justice does have some good qualities to it that the games before had, that the games before didn't have, and that the games after will likely never have. It's also very unique in the series for it's atmosphere, and that's in no small part thanks to the brilliant music and the great look of the game.

I can legitimately see the tonal differences between the first 4 and the later 4 games being a problem for people, especially how -- speaking as somebody who liked both 5 (and especially 6) hamfisted and fanfiction-y the writing in the two games get compared to the older ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair for Apollo at least, dude legitimately had no history until DD. And even then the stuff revealed about him this game I thought fit surprisingly well with what we knew of his past in AJ. Although him being the adopted son of a revolutionary leader/husband-to-the-queen of a foreign country was kind of out there.

Though, in general DD and SoJ are way more over-dramatic and like ridiculous than the original games (not really a bad thing in my books). Which now that I think about it might have been what he meant by fanfictiony-y but I could still be wrong.

No, you hit the nail on the head there. And it works for me, but I can see it not working for other people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's 3 in the morning and this case still isn't over :stare:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Case 5 spoiler: drat it, Phoenix Apollo's leaving and you still didn't think to tell him about his half sister?

That is actually a gigantic change for the series though, he'll probably show up again in the next game for at least one case but drat if he wasn't the best part of the last two. I hope they can keep it up without him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I missed most of what Nahyuta said in the end credits, anyone remember roughly what he said?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's definitely clear from playing this game that the staff took some things away from AA vs. PL; among other things, (case 6-5) Ga'ran came off to me as them wanting take another crack at Darklaw, who had a really great design and animations...and then had absolutely no presence beyond that. Also that theme is sick, she made up for Nahyuta and how insufferably boring he was in spades.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

He was essentially misunderstanding Rayfa being, for lack of a better word, tsundere about him being her big brother.

I was really disappointed they mentioned nothing at all about Apollo being, as far as Dhurke would've been concerned, her brother. Dhurke knew that she existed, right? It was disappointing nothing came of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

(Case 5 major spoilers)It's not surprising that she's closer to Nahyuta. "A person adopted by her biological father, neither of whom she's ever met or knows exist" is a pretty distant relation compared to "brother she'd grown up thinking was a cousin". Nahyuta was still a member of the royal family even if he was disliked, so between that and court she would probably have seen a lot of him over the years.

You misunderstand; (Case 4 minor spoilers)I mean that it doesn't waste time with what I would consider the bad bits, and only has what I would consider the good bits. I would have no objections to it being twice as long if it maintained the same level of quality throughout, but generally filler cases do not do that.

I mean sure, but she says NOTHING at all about it. :( Poor Apollo has all this family that just doesn't want him around at all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, finished Case 2.

In a way, Reus might in fact be the most successful and also most evil culprit in the entire series to date because of how flawless everything went and it would've been completely perfect if it wasn't for Bonny's mistake. Gotta feel bad for the victim as well. Manov Mistree wasn't even involved with the case history at all save for being the unlucky kid he decided had to die to get revenge on the Gramaryes for being reasonable people for the first and last time ever... and the only reason he drew that short straw was because he liked Reus in the first place.

Most successful is probably still (AAI2 spoilers) the mastermind in that one, because you're only tracking him down after they've already achieved everything they set out to do in the first place, using you as a puppet to do half of it. The villain of 6-2 though is a real loving solid contender for the latter point though, considering the psychotic zeal with which he tried to get a 17 year old who he'd never met humiliated and executed as a gently caress you to a group that as far as he knew was entirely dead and gone.

E: Man Kristoph's theme is still really good, I hope an understated villain like that shows up again someday.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say my least favorite gimmick is Apollo's bracelet because it's so drat slow even if you find the quirk quickly. (Well, least favorite protagonist gimmick. Fingerprinting is the worst overall.)

The plaster cast mold of the foot was neat, same with scanning the paintings and getting the underlying sketches.

If Ema comes back again I hope she brings more of that kind of stuff with her (and not Sahdmadhi, may he drop into the same pit they dropped Klavier into).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://askaceattorney.tumblr.com/post/145664710287/famitsu-aa6-popularity-polls

Some of these are accurate and some of these are very, very wrong (also the Oldbag vote is powerful)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theshim posted:

Also, Ema is cute and wonderful and her new theme is great and she is great.

:yeah:

I hope she sticks around as detective for a while.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

you either get Ema returning where she's changed as a person, or you get Pearl in AA5 where she's still written like she's 8 years old

They went for a half and half with Ema in AA6 and I think that worked pretty well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I thought I was there but NOW I'm there.

I'm also stuck! C5T2 Amara's Perceive. Dish.

Take a look at her fingers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Hey, remember this thing we never talked about? We still aren't gonna talk about it!

Phoenix really needs to have a speakerphone conversation about it before Trucy sneaks on another Khura'in-bound plane.

There aren't many ways to rip the title of "WORLD'S WORST DAD" from Blaise Debeste but that would be one of them!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm actually super curious as to what they're going to do with AA7 and going forward. I hope they don't bring Apollo back immediately, it's a good excuse to have an Athena-centric game, plus Apollo can have his own 2-4 Great Revival moment in like AA8 or 9.

Temporarily (possibly permanently?) writing out Apollo was a really bold move and I'm surprised they did it. It's a great end to his arc, but AJ was the game I started with so in a way he's the defining attorney of the series for me. He'll for sure get at least a cameo case, they're not known for retiring gimmicks they've used previously in the series and since seances can only be done in Khura'in, it pretty much guarantees his return, but I'll miss him and Athena working together. :(

I wonder how much time he spent thinking about it before he realized it was cleaning toilets and being a magic show practice dummy vs. living in a palace and being the most prominent lawyer in the country?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cloofish posted:

Tell that to my friend Dick Gumshoe. :(

Well it's not like the Chief of Police can just show up when and where he wants

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

You'll want to hold onto this for later

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Apollo is objectively the best

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

god daMNIT I'M LAUGHING AGAIN gently caress

don't lose your head alcharagia

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god

Case 5 big spoilers:

Amara channeling Inga and Dhurke should be a big plothole because of the hair colour, right?

Except when you go into Inga's room and check the table there's a bottle of hair dye sitting there. L' Belle brand black hair dye.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man. The game obviously wants you to think of Acro as a tragic individual instead of a villain, but he wanted to murder a 15 year old girl for basically no reason and then tried to frame someone else when his incredibly stupid plan went wrong. He's a sack of poo poo.

The 15 year old girl crippled him for life and put his brother in a coma with no guarantee of waking up with absolutely no repercussions or knowledge that she had done anything wrong.

What he wanted to do was hosed up but that isn't "basically no reason", as far as motives go in this series that one actually makes a huge amount of sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

well i beat it. Here's some thoughts on everything, mostly on case 5

Why did anyone even believe Nahyuta when he tried to confess to the crime? He just said he did it with no evidence. Nobody asked "well how did you get there? how did you hide yourself from witnesses? what about the channeling?" It's so obvious that he couldn't have done it if you think about it at all. I get that the whole reason behind it is to have you figure out why he's protecting Ga'ran, but surely they could have found a better angle to work that in. Dumb.

The reason Nahyuta confesses is because the entirety of case 5 is to demonstrate Apollo's progression and just how far he's come as a lawyer by taking on Phoenix's greatest hits (Von Karma with an engineered confession and a higher, evil attorney taking over, Engarde with Phoenix roped into defending a client who is coercing him, Dahlia with two very similar sisters, one of whom is good and the other evil, with a strong spiritual connection for one of them) on in an extremely narrow span of time and defeating all of them. It's a little contrived but it worked well for me and it was a great sendoff for Apollo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

AA6 sucks because Apollo and Ema don't kiss.

Gonna cross my fingers Sad Monk is the seance victim we see in Khura'in (is that how it's spelled) next game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I would love to face off against Prosecutor Newman in AA7.

Prosecutors always have to be somebody new for whatever reason (I'm guessing advertising?), so this seems unlikely to happen.

My big hope is one day they'll take advantage of all the models they now have and have a different defence and prosecutor for every case.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I beat the case late last night but uh case 5 stuff: given the time period the AA games take place in, Jove woulda died in 2005. are we seriously implying that despite the fact that people knew that a famous(?) musician was one of the people who died - The judge even comments that he seemed to know who he was, that no one could punch his name into the internet and find a picture of him in 23 years? I know Kur'ain is sorta old timey but out of all the dumb stuff in AA I find that a little too absurd.

Nobody actually knew the guy's name until very recently.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

That's a weird way to spell out "courting Ema Skye." :allears:

That's what they said about Klavier before he mysteriously dropped down a well

E: And Nahyuta's somehow more insufferable than that glimmerous fop

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Regarding the ending, I hope Apollo gets a slight redesign when he inevitably shows up in AA7, just so he looks less like a rookie and more like the owner of a firm. Give him his own jacket at least.

give him dhurke's jacket

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I still think AJ had the best court begins theme in the series, it fit that game really well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

AJ's Allegro is my favorite in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUD7ccpZx0

e: man look at that little babby apollo in that picture there

I think AJ might actually not have a bad track in the OST, most of the games have at least one, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
AA6's "beginning of the case" theme is super good and I want to say how well they used it throughout this game.