Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I would just like to point out to everyone that tons of phone accessories use the headphone jack (like those credit-card readers food trucks use for a prominent example) but now if you want your accessory to plug into an iPhone you absolutely need to use their proprietary Lightning connector

for which you will pay Apple extra to license their patent

but it's the only way to plug anything into the iPhone now

wheels within wheels man, follow the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Aren't the new bullshit headphones super expensive too? I'd heard somebody saying they cost triple digits.

$160 for the privilege of earbuds that will fall straight to the ground when they inevitably slip out of your ears like earbuds always do

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait, hold up, do airpods not have a mic, because it seems like they don't have a mic

wtf :psyduck:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

935 posted:

Ok for everyone bitching about how you can't charge and listen to music at the same time, how often are you at 3% battery and say "drat I sure wish I could listen to music right now while charging my phone?" Be honest. I think this is a BS complaint.

Are you telling me it seems unlikely that tons of people might, say, sit at their desk listening to music on their phone at work all day and not want to burn through their battery in the process

Because I do that sometimes

I also smoke up and listen to music in bed at the end of the day when depending on what I did that day my phone might already be at like 35%

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

935 posted:

If you listen to music for 8 straight hours your phone might go down 20%, 30% if you have a super old phone. 50-80 hours of audio for the 6 series.

I dunno man, even if your numbers are right, an extra 20% of your phone's battery life is actually a large amount to suddenly have to account for, as opposed to the conventional use case where it is negative something percent

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ork of Fiction posted:

The 7 uses a proprietary bluetooth tech too. That's why you can't just buy 10 dolla BT headphones and gotta shell out $170 for Apples airbuds.

This seems unlikely, it has to work with regular Bluetooth. If it doesn't connect to cars or speakers or whatever else it's not usable for a lot of people. Like, are headphones a special case with this or what?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Every single day. Plug my phone into my aux jack in my car and the cigarette lighter for while I drive with Waze and music.

Oh poo poo yeah, the GPS factor, I forgot this

Like, the iPhone 7 as-is is basically unusable as a GPS with a normal car

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a retard posted:

over in iyg some rear end in a top hat who runs some lovely smartphone gaming blog is using the fact that 99.93% of the people who browse his site don't leave a comment as proof that the "no headphone jack" thing is overblown nerd poo poo

well drat, that's ironclad logic right there

Seriously how exactly does one swallow the idea that only nerds want headphone jacks, do all the "normies" out there have bluetooth headsets or are they all really jazzed to trade their regular headphones for Lightning headphones or what because y'know what that sounds like nerd poo poo to me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I honestly can't tell how many layers of irony are at play here

I'm old now, it finally happened

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can we agree that even if headphones do switch to digital connectors it'd be a horrible outcome for everyone to use their own proprietary ones so certain headphones only work with certain devices

Because right now literally any headphone will plug into literally any device and that is honestly fantastic and I just loving know they're gonna ruin it.

Like if they all used USB-C or something I'd complain but I'd accept it, but if Apple headphones only work with Apple devices with Lightning connectors and Android devices only connect to headphones using Googlatron ports and PCs only use headphones with Microsoft Windows Headphone Sound Connector XBox Digital Pro Technology 2018 I will move to the woods and live in a gutted VW bus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

Why pay twice as much for a metal case when you are covering it in plastic? You are covering your thin sleek EXPENSIVE metal case with plastic and make it look like a much cheaper phone.

You are like an old lady that puts plastic covers on her sofa.

I used Nokias for years because (a) I really wanted Windows Phone to work :negative: and (b) they were basically indestructible. I hate cases, they look tacky, they make your phone bulkier, and it's bullshit that they're basically a necessity with a lot of phones. Now I have an S6 Active because it seemed to be the best option AT&T had for phones that do not shatter immediately at the slightest tap, and so I still don't need a case.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It has the best UI out of any of them, it was just way too late to the game and was then driven into the ground by MS's horrible top-level business decisions

Like the Zune: a good device, ruined by awful decisions

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

If you tihnk this UI looks good you need to pull that pencil out of your brain.

I'd take this over the "wall of icons" thing both Android and iOS have going on ten times out of ten, and I miss it :colbert: (I don't miss it as much as I appreciate having a phone with a healthy ecosystem though)

radiatinglines posted:

Also the way the back button works is weird and illogical

I don't have any specific memories of this messing me up in any way but iOS doesn't even HAVE a back button

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

George Orwell feared the wrong kind of future. This is the real terror.

Not even Shadowrun saw proprietary fragmentation coming :ohdear:

"Sorry, chummer, I can't hack into this Matrix terminal because my cyberdeck has an Aztechnology port and the terminal only takes NeoNET cables"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah again I could absolutely accept this with only a little griping if they were using a standard instead of their own proprietary poo poo. I had the same reaction to Sony pushing Blu-Ray instead of HD-DVD. Maybe this'll turn out to be as largely irrelevant as that one did :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've been thinking about this and Apple really is uniquely suited to cut out poo poo whose time has passed but which everybody still loves and make otherwise unpopular decisions, because everyone fuckin' loves them and will defend whatever and get in fist-fights with each other because they're so eager to buy everything. And then they get credit for being visionaries. When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

This also grants them freedom to make this progress in really lovely ways w/r/t their proprietary technology (luckily they were never able to force FireWire on everybody so maybe the Lightning-headphones thing will blow over)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

The projector is $300 and only works with that phone

Sounds like a billion-dollar idea if it were made of molded white plastic and had an Apple logo on it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mange Mite posted:

It was rumored but nobody wanted to believe it because it sounded too stupid to be true. The same thing that happened with the apple watch

I still have never seen a smartwatch on the wrist of anyone who is not a software engineer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

Android Wear 2.0 is going to have SIM card support so the watches won't necessarily need to be tethered to a phone. Finally real life will catch up to Dick Tracy.

The entire concept of a smartwatch is dated, you can just tell that everybody who greenlit the idea watched a ton of sci-fi shows in the 70s

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

canpakes posted:

Goons are stupid as hell.

True in the general case but I'm not seeing it here *clicks ur question mark* oh there it is yeah

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

Hell yeah can't wait to add another line to my wireless plan!! This is a great idea.

If Verizon wasn't behind this feature idea I'll eat my hat

They're already trying to get people to pay for data plans for their tablets, this is the next logical progression

Ideally you pay for three data plans per person in your household for a total of $400 a month on data alone

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also are we talking about nokias because those ruled

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sagan posted:

lol if you think Apple was the first to ditch the headphone jack in their smartphones.

Apple, as it has been for years; is still playing catch-up with the features/tech in existing Android phones. They're the ones following suit, not the other way around. Hell, even Windows Phones have been ahead of iPhones for years.

My last WP phone was garbage and even it had features the iPhone 7 doesn't have, like an idle-screen display, wireless charging, NFC, oh yeah and a headphone jack

Hell, WP7 phones had automatic wireless music syncing that Just Worked before they broke the music experience for WP8

e: oh yeah and doubletap to wake

ElGroucho posted:

If my old Windows phone had any apps,I would have never abandoned it

:same:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 10, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Lol'ing at the guy who loves SD cards so much in tyool 2016. hey bud,
2005 callin it wants its sandisk back. He thinks he left some really good eminem mp3s on there.

MicroSD cards in phones are a great way to add more storage without paying twice as much for a higher tier of iPhone which includes more storage and nothing else

And they're reusable from phone to phone too!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

ive never run out of storage on any of my phones ever :shrug: especially now that everything is streaming what the hell do you need to use so much physical storage for unless you use tons of gay apps

I have a huge MP3 file collection because I really like to have some sort of ownership over my music and also I don't want to stream tons of data over cellular for it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

To be fair, a decent solution for that is hoarding the MP3s at home while also dumping them into Google Play Music, which will stream your MP3s to you, but also cache them on your phone.

That said, that solution still needs a bunch of space for the cache.

That seems like it'd only really help if you listened to the same stuff a bunch of times in a row. I like to shuffle-all, knaamean

thathonkey posted:

it's too easy to get these turbo nerd losers frothing at the mouth over iphones god i live for this

We're talking about music storage :confused:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internaut! posted:

remember when the consumer protecting USB consortium came out with one godawful incompatible low rent poo poo tier connector after another for decades until Apple showed them how to do it right

I remember when they invented the USB connector and the micro USB connector and those both worked fine for years, is that the same thing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

etalian posted:

The older USB connectors were very bad from a mechanical perspective and also some of the horrible made in china cables would use the wrong resistance which could burn out the charging device.

All the above problems got fixed with the never USB-C standard.

This is a surreal post to me because I've never had a problem with USB as a standard and I've never used USB-C

and I use USB poo poo all the time, like, literally everything plugged into my computer right now is plugged into a USB port (ok the monitors are HDMI and the speakers are 3.5mm analog jack lol)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blockade posted:

protip: It's not about the headphones.

They got rid of the headphone jack to stick it to Square and all those other easy vendor payment processor things and to try and get all the small shops using apple pay, I bet their next round of tablets wont have a jack either

I suggested this a while back, my conclusion wasn't that they want food-trucks to be iOS-only establishments though, I thought they just wanted to force Square to make Lightning-compatible card readers and pay to license their patent in the process

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

"the 3.5mm jack has been around for decades, it's so archaic and useless"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple is literally allergic to technology standards, every single thing they use has to be their own proprietary poo poo so they can control and profit from every aspect of every device that works with their technology provide the best experience to the end user

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

also allergic to paying taxes apparently

remember when they testified in front of congress and said that they don't pay taxes because tax code is complicated and they believe in simplicity of design

:lol:

the most Apple thing

I'm guessing this means they of course all voted for Herman Cain's simple and effective 9-9-9 tax plan

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

I think they've also said something about the headphone jack not supporting "HD Audio" (96khz/24 bit) which is some real bullshit. The iPhone 6 DAC didn't support 96 khz audio, but that's okay because our ears don't support it either.

Calling an audio standard literally not detectable by human ears "HD" is sheer marketing brilliance and I'm not surprised Apple is doing it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple only switched to USB on desktop because they couldn't convince anyone to care about FireWire, and they've never used anything but proprietary connectors on their phones (y'know, the thing the thread is about) and tablets. They couldn't control what devices used the headphone jack for so it's gone now. I am a huge prick and I hope this helps.

but please tell me more about how you obviously don't care about any of this :allears:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

it used to be on the front of the mouse but then people would use it while it was plugged in and they wanted it to be wireless all the time

thats the actual for real reason, they said so

Apple would rather sabotage their product than allow you to use it in a way that is even slightly contradictory to their ~~~vision~~~

whether that vision is a mouse being wireless 100% of the time it is in use or Apple being paid by accessory makers to license their data port patent

lorn Wayne posted:

This is all a big dumb joke right? like apple is literally testing the waters to see how many retards come out of the woodwork and defend them for this or something?

We saw this during the Dem primary too, being exposed to people on the Internet who disagree with you on something trivial can make you say some loving crazy poo poo and mean it 100%

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It grows in bunches

I've got my hunches

It's the best! Beats the rest!

cellular modular interactive-odular

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone at work actually devoted a half hour or so of his time to trying to convince me the Apple keyboard layout was noticeably superior to the PC/Linux one

also since we're talking about numpads another guy at work literally got a USB wireless numpad so he could have a numpad and still use his Apple keyboard

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like wireless mice because you have to move the thing around a lot by definition and the cord gets in the way sometimes, but there's not really much point to a wireless keyboard

I have a Das Keyboard at home because someone gave it to me as a wedding present (my wife was not pleased because it was her stepbrother giving "us" a gift that was actually just for me lol) and it's pretty drat nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Btw there's still people unironically defending the headphone jack decision in the YOSPOS apple thread

• Locked thread