Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

HEMA is cool because you get to hit people with swords and spend way too much money on hand protection without feeling guilty at all.

Example:

Edit: also if you're reasonably fit you'll already be at an advantage over the majority of fencers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Yesterday was the International Martial Arts Festival in Florida. The final event for their televised segment was the Longpoint South open longsword finals. You can check out the fight and the after-fight interview here: http://youtu.be/lZPOQDkcu4c

This is pretty big news for HEMA. It was apparently well received by the audience and production staff, and it was well-represented by the fighters at the event.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I wrestled a muscle lady and accidentally grabbed a handful of her vagina. Then she squatted me. Then we had booze afterwards. It was cool, can't wait to have disposable income so I can do more of it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Just started taking muay thai classes. Jumped into a free class, loved it, and signed up for the month. Picked up some handwraps to practice wrapping at home.

A couple questions:

1) Does anyone know any stretches/at home exercises that would be good for muay thai? I've learned one stretch so far that is supposed to help open up my hips, and the instructor recommended lots of running and jump rope.

2) Are there any videos/instructional material you can suggest that could be useful for an absolute beginner? My martial background is in fencing, so this is all very new to me.

3) Any gear you would recommend? I haven't picked up gloves, shorts, or shin guards yet.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone know where I might be able to buy rattan sticks for cheap, online and in person? Living in NYC so I figure there's at least one place. Trying to start up a baton fighting club.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Looking for something similar to the grand baton sold on Purple Heart, 55” in length with a similar diameter. Worst case scenario I go through them which isn’t so bad but if I could get something cheaper that’s preferable, since I plan on ordering bulk.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Is $17 not a good price? How long does it last?

I've seen them go as low as $10 for similar lengths, or you can buy them in cheap 9" poles and cut them yourself. They can last fairly long if you're training relatively slowly. In competition tho I've seen them fray and shatter pretty easily. That's usually because of brutal people swinging them like crazy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone involved in sumo, or know someone who is involved in sumo? Please PM me or email me at jmartinez729 at gmail. I have a research question regarding the sumo diet and the history of sumo foods for a project.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

In fact, while I'm putting myself out there, if anyone has any martial arts recipes they wouldn't mind sharing with me, or even just the names of meals, that would be very helpful. I'm working on a small project to collect traditional recipes from various martial arts/athletic cultures from around the world.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

chanko nabe was my inspiration for this project, actually. Made a vegetarian version this weekend for meal prep and was amazed by how good it is. It’s even better the next day! I have a background in Japanese cuisine so I knew my way around the ingredients, but it’s definitely worth giving a shot to cook, especially if you’re feeding a bunch of tired, hungry martial artists after training.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I recommend watching the original video, and the follow-up he did ~ a year later. They're a bit less, click baity maybe, though its only in this one he seems to have given up on practicing aikido altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3IwxR2Ar-I

This makes me wonder what context a lot of these aikido moves are supposed to be applied. They don't seem to work well against an opponent who is boxing, but perhaps they would work better against someone who was wielding a weapon?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Has anyone else ever had the experience of having a guest instructor from another school teach a seminar and despite them being very good at the art, the seminar goes against everything you’ve learned?

And I don’t mean in a “oh wow this makes so much sense” kind of way, but more in a “he’s saying these fundamentals that are necessary and good and practiced by far better fighters are actually bad” kind of way.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 26, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Yuns posted:

Any concrete examples? I haven't had that happen but I have had instructors explain that some fundamental details are a bit different at advanced levels when you really understand them because they are simplified for beginners.

It's a lot of fencing stuff, but for example he cuts with his hands forward rather than his sword tip forward, which presents his hands as a target in the motion of the cut. It also causes issues with the cut itself by making it shorter and less effective at cutting overall.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and saying to myself he was speaking strictly about the context of that particular drill, ie cutting short is the "point" of the exercise in order to emphasize something else, but then there were other (difficult to explain) examples where he seemed to indicate this is the way you're supposed to cut always. Which I think might be a case of "it works for me, therefore it works for everyone", but we're not all 6 foot+, long-limbed Norwegian dudes.

Overall I liked some of what he taught and disliked most of it, but it did help me pinpoint certain deficiencies my own fencing is suffering from that can be hopefully ironed out with some of the drills he prescribes. I just find this situation very fascinating, and was wondering if other people experienced something similar.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 26, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

It's really the problem with any historiography - you just need to use solid historical methods and compare to other sources to figure out what a text would have been in context.

HEMA actually has an advantage over normal historical sub-fields in that it's actually kinda testable in a way that "Did religious tract A influence political event B" or "What led to figure C making decision D" questions aren't.

There's a bit of a divide now between people who are trying to determine what's effective and viable through pressure testing and cross-referencing with living swordsmanship traditions, and people who strictly adhere to the historical documents. I prefer the former since I come from a school with mixed heritage, and I train JSA as well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Cyber Dog posted:

Where can you test fighting regularly in an environment that isn't rules based lol

with weapons, no less.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Hooo boy. Yeah, they exist, and nothing would make me run the other way faster than 'how about controlled sparring with sharps'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn372yYgivA&t=17s

Obviously :nms:

Apparently someone else in this same group died because they're doing stupid poo poo like this.

We have some unarmored, full-speed "secret" fencing that happens around here, but it's done with blunt swords and they fight to first blood on the highest point of the body. They also wear mensur goggles and pull their strikes so they (hopefully) don't give each other concussions. It's invite only and practiced by fencers who actually know what they're doing, but it's still mega stupid.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CommonShore posted:

It's likely that if we went back in time and visited such clubs we'd find that everyone involved was a weird goober

I mean the Nazis were big into mensur so yeah it checks out

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Mmmm? I know it was a thing amongst the officer corps, but that existed prior to the nazis.

It did but when nazis started taking over/dismantling certain fraternities they maintained the traditions, though I think they banned them eventually. I have a book on mensur somewhere, if I can dig it up I’ll share some of the photos. It was from a collection of mensur photographs taken between the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, really fascinating stuff.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I discuss this a lot with women and trans fencers in HEMA. The conclusion we came to is that if you're accounting for differences in physical attributes by gender, but NOT accounting for physical attributes within genders, then the issue isn't about physical attributes at all so much as it is about social stigmas regarding transgenderism, especially if people are OK with the idea of women and men fencing each other, which is often the case in HEMA circles.

The only real solution I've come to is further scientific analysis and differentiation between fighters in an attempt to reduce physical advantages, and thus draw out a more accurate assessment of difference in skill, while also mitigating the potential for injury. Differentiate fighters with regards to weight, height, arm-length, shoulder-width, twitch muscle fiber, etc., but not specifically gender. I'm not sure where the line can be drawn to say "we'll measure up to this point, but any differences beyond this are OK", but it's a foundation to build on. One of the largest HEMA tournaments in the country is going to implement categorization based on weight, with mixed-gender pools, and I think that will go a long way to alleviating issues with this system.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 26, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Having no gender separation in sports would make women disappear. Even in relatively technical sports like golf, the top women can't compete with the men, because they can't, on average, hit the ball as far.

To be fair, height makes a huge difference in distance of a drive, and male golfers average much taller than female golfers. The argument can be made that societal issues keep women who would physically make excellent golfers from participating in the sport due to social stigma, or other expectations with regards to gender.

Not to say that diminishes your point, but options can and should be explored. Sports change rules to accommodate physical changes over time relatively frequently.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 26, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tried a local jiu jitsu school (Sheridan bjj in New Jersey) but found I didn't really enjoy it. The students were young and kind of aggressive, and when drilling would often spaz out and didn't make very good drilling partners. The spazzing worried me most, where people would wrench hard during drills. I have never felt so sure I was going to get injured in any other martial arts school I've been to. The instructors didn't encourage this behavior, but they didn't do much to discourage it either. When they explained techniques for drilling they would explain the entire sequence at once rather than breaking it down, which I didn't appreciate. They also had a lack of knowledge when it came to modifying maneuvers for people with different body types. Like I'm small and have relatively short limbs, so I might need some modification for certain moves. One answer I received was "I probably wouldn't do this move if I were you", with no further modification or adjustment, making my drilling for the day feel kind of wasted. They also require you to buy their gi ($100) when you sign up, which I didn't appreciate since I have my own gis, and they're branded heavily so you can't really wear it elsewhere. There was also a general attitude in the gym that I didn't like.

Coming from Kano martial arts in Manhattan really set my standards high, where they teach everything in a step-by-step method and by the end of class you feel confident with the technique you were working on. The instructors also have a seemingly infinite well of knowledge to draw from, and the students were generally cool and chill.

I've since quit the BJJ school and started up at a hung ga school nearby. The sifu is enthusiastic and has been practicing for 30 years, and it's a much better atmosphere. It's very different from what I'm used to, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

butros posted:

Kano is on my radar for when we are ordered fo go back to office sometime next year. Are you able to share what their tuition options and covid protocols are (vax requirements etc)? They are in a p good location and have a p good schedule for what I’m looking for so trying to weigh options.

I haven’t been there since covid started, so I wouldn’t be able to say what their covid protocols are. It was around $150/month for unlimited classes last I paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Anyone have a rec for a good judo school in north jersey?