Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lately my jiu jitsu has felt like its really been sucking. I'm getting submitted way more than I should and Im just not as "in tune" with my body. I know Im only a blue belt but is this normal? How do you guys get out of this funk? Im still going to class and Ill continue going but it kind of sucks when you're the guy always getting submitted. I honestly feel like im going backwards and its a horrible feeling.

google blue belt blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Haha generally I've gotten quite warm by the time the warm ups done. Its motivation to keep moving.

:thunk:

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

I can't imagine being seen by the girls in my gym in pyjamas, I look daft enough in a rash guard getting my rear end kicked, and there's always an audience as about 60 treadmills are pointed at the ring and cage.

are you in a YMCA fight club or something

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Any person for whom "Being assaulted" is a significant problem needs to reevaluate his or her life choices.

could you say this a little whiter please

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ha ha epic trollery my dude, here i thought you really did steroids and practiced mma in a janky rear end rec room and fantasized about vigilante justice. boy is there ever egg on my face

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Humor has different contexts in different threads. For a thread where people come in asking about self defense and have legitimate fears about their safety, your vigilante puffery is not funny or helpful.

I think forums poster willie_dee is a caricature of the sort of person that has an interest in martial arts as anything other than a very gay healthy hobby, and him being universally treated like a retard for his beliefs is a wake up call to others. maybe you've been the hero of this story all along willie

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

only thing you're getting into with hapkido is a sleeveless kimono and a room full of dudes with ponytails

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

cigaw posted:

A good part of it is just the ground fighting itself. I just don't like rolling around on the ground with another dude on top of me trying to go for a submission or whatever. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Plus, every single gym I went to and tried out for a class or two had a pretty lovely culture associated with it. To choose a single example, they consistently don't wash their gi so it stinks to high heaven. You know, so your adversary will be disgusted and you gain that little bit of an edge that maybe allows you gain an advantage. Tons of guys admitted to smearing ammonia on their shoulder so they could force their opponents faces there and again gain some sort of advantage. poo poo like that rubs me wrong way; it's not only disgusting in more levels than one, but it's ridiculously unsportsmanlike.

Also,

This is absolutely true. Not exclusive to BJJ but, in my experience, it featured very heavily there.

lol did cobra kai open up a bjj division

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for gloves that can take the place of hand wraps? I'm doing muay thai and looking for something I can get on quickly and wash easily.

if you're hitting anything with any sort of force and repetition, please do not get those weird thin lil bag gloves or whatever they call them, they are a criminal product and will make your wrists explode. once you get the hang of wrapping it is a very quick process and you can throw most in the laundry & hang dry

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Hand wrapping is badass and I wish BJJ had an equivalently cool preparation ceremony. Belt tying is close but doesn't make me recite the speech from gladiator in my head.

i feel extremely cool when I do that weird lil crab squat motion to fully fit into my spats

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

That's awesome I'm doing this in future

willie no it was ironic

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

one of the many reasons I do not wear a cup. i've rendered my balls impervious to pain through years of hard grappling. go ahead bitch, knee cut to your heart's content. they are useless to me now

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

go on bitch. punish my balls. im not using them anyway

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i seek to keep my opponent's pummeling elbows, knees and fists safe from the vicious horrors of my teeth

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

that guy has the smallest possible dick and balls and no belt will ever make up for it

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I have never seen anyone do muay thai with wrestling shoes. you can splint toes together or otherwise essentially duct tape whatever is wrong but if you're breaking your toes while kicking there's not really anything that's gonna help except working on your form & power with your newly healed toes after a nice rest

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

<:mad:> This is why we don't have more tradmartial arts goons around.

good

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this week they brought a caricature artist to work and I had to sit there as he drew me listening to him talk about his japanese jiu jitsu experience and how his green belts would tap out 3rd degree BJJ black belts with their secret moves. he was so fat and his pony tail was so long and I didn't know that people like him existed in real life. i didnt want to believe

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

...do you work at a carnival?

no i work at a big 4 tech company office and they treat us like children

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I know one guy who has done JJJ whose opinions I trust - he has also done BJJ and he's a very good brown belt in judo, not to mention a bit of military experience. He likes JJJ as a self-defense thing because in his experience they just go right for the testicles and eye gouging. The impression that I get is that these are good moves to use on someone who isn't expecting them, and who you don't care about injuring.

So maybe the guy's green belts went into the guard of the 3rd degree black belt, and just started punching the motherfucker in the nads, and then grabbed his nads and twisted, and then when he broke their posture they started gouging him in the eyes and at that point the black belt was like "ok gently caress this poo poo" and tapped. Secret move!

And they found multiple green belts and 3rd degree bjj black belts to do this experiment multiple times. :mrgw:

i care not of my eyes or balls. go ahead bitch. pummel my orbs

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i want to see a tournament between guys that actually train & 'i do ufc' guys or ones that have been going to their rec center gym for a few months or whatever

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Why would you want to see trained guys vs amateurs? They would be too one sided.

because watching pretend tough guys get thoroughly humbled is quality entertainment. i developed a crippling sexual fetish for it after being owned once by a post early in my forums career

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my ask was more akin to the roman colosseum side shows where they'd throw slaves in with literal lions but this might be cool

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Odddzy posted:

How I understand it is that (here in Québec at least) the amateur MMA guys need a spot given by a promoter to pad their record. To get some fights they get given a bunch of tickets and have to sell them. basically, the promoter doesn't even NEED to promote as the fighter is going to be desperate and ask for everyone at his gym to come over, friends and family too. The first and last amateur MMa event I went too was super sketch. Everyone had t-shirts repping their BJJ or MMA club and lots of fights looked really fixed. An MMA guy I used to train with that retired from that racket pretty much admitted the fights were fixed in many instances.

the first bit is tragically accurate, but I can't see what they'd mean by fights being fixed, unless they were referring to horrible missmatches which happen all the time. maybe I don't run in the right crowds but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of money changing hands over the outcome of amateur fight sports from my experience

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Squirrel Burger posted:

Found out my sensei, who has been kind of an rear end in a top hat lately, was dating a student. And they broke up, which is why he’s being an rear end in a top hat, including intimidating students during open mat and injuring others during sparring.

Anyway, looks like I’m finding a new gym

these people are the worst

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Squirrel Burger posted:

There are many health reasons to not juice, but I’ve been of the mindset that you can do what you want if you’re prepared to accept the risk. My background is amateur bodybuilding, so I’ve worked out with people on gear and generally not given a drat because they were adults who could make their own decisions. not with martial arts though. If I knew one of the students was juicing I’d absolutely refuse to roll or spar with them. There’s too much at risk when your practice equipment is another person’s body.

oh no they'll uuuh recover faster at you, stay away!!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

How many of you guys/girls integrate yoga into their BJJ regimen? How has it helped you? Just curious.

I've done yoga stuff intermittently. I'm the surprisingly flexible guy at my gym. it probably has helped prevent an injury or two

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nestharken posted:

I don't know if it's because of too many movies or it's just in our DNA or what, but there's something special about fighting that makes people completely blind to the skill gap between themselves and the professionals at the top of the field. Nobody thinks they could make it in the NBA or beat Magnus Carlsen at chess just because they played a few recreational games, but everybody thinks they've got magical instincts that beat thousands upon thousands of hours of hard training when it comes to martial arts.

it's a deadly combination of men being truly inherently stupid & the kid's tv show dragon ball z

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

starkebn posted:

You're 28 and out of shape and think you can make it to UFC? Wow. You're 10 years too late.

Just do BJJ to get into shape and have fun.

but my street fights.. my mentality..

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Just started up at a gym doing BJJ and Muay Thai and it is a good experience so far.

Two questions:

1) What is the go-to youtube for basic BJJ technique? They have us noobs rolling and I feel like I don't have enough committed to memory to get proper practice out of that yet, I remember how to pass guard into armbar and how to shrimp out of trouble and that's about it

2) Do people usually train though those annoying twisting back stinger pain things, or take a few days off?

sorry but what is a 'twisting back stinger' besides the finishing move of my pro wrestling alter ego The Scorpion

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Here's the thing about jiu jitsu, unless your school has a very well developed fundamentals class, it's kinda on you to work on the fundamentals during live rolling. That means asking your partner to teach you something rather than just spar. Rolling is fun, people like to try out moves they learned on the internet and incorporate them into their game etc. Communication with your partners is really important. That being said, the brown belt sounds like a dickhead.

Vida BJJ is close to you and maybe worth checking out to see if the atmosphere is better.

Yeah so you really have no understanding about what you're prattling on about.

nah dude. if the guy that owns the gym or one of his trusted circle isn't teaching you the basics and making sure you don't get hurt it's not just bad jiu jitsu, it's bad business

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

firstborn, sorry about the hellword you inhabit. I feel like your intro to BJJ isn't indicative of how things are run in most legitimate places and hope this experience doesn't stop you from visiting a more established gym if you get the opportunity

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Every ranking I've attended - across styles and gyms - has been a fait accompli. If you're there you're getting the promotion.

i failed my blue belt test. there were 30 some-odd moves you had to execute perfectly. three strikes and you're out. iirc one of my docked points was because I kept the grip on the arm after a lasso sweep which ended in a position that could have been considered a bicep slicer, and another was I did the math wrong after adding up the score in a hypothetical exchange

i still got the belt bc of my powerful scrapping or perhaps pity

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

slidebite posted:

Regarding fail rates, I'd say black is probably (best guess) 60%+ for at least part of it. However, they'll allow just a retest of the failed section, so an entire retest isn't necessary.

Also there is a fitness test for blackbelt candidates that they have to pass. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think they take a baseline at the beginning of the process and expect an improvement on it or, if it's excellent, no backsliding. Regardless of age, if you're 17 or 60. We do have a few current active BBs that earned it past 50.

that's uplifting to hear. it has been my experience with traditional martial arts that black belts must instead pass a fatness test

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ElHuevoGrande posted:

How do you know when its time to quit? I've been at my bjj gym about a year, mostly no gi, started gi two months ago. I'm the only female in the gi classes, and despite being 5'9 and 165lb, the other white belts run away from me like I've got the plague. I'll directly ask to roll and half the time they say "Sorry, no." The gym has womens classes, but the girls tend to top out around 120lb and are easy enough to muscle that I feel like my technique isn't getting better. Plus they're no gi only, and I'm finding I like gi much better.

Obviously the dudes are kind of being dicks. But maybe I need to suck it up because its a male dominated sport? Feel free to tell me if I'm being a big whiny baby.

find a gym with fewer weird cowards

e: is this exclusively with other white belts?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you're a class act willie dee please video the next scrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Someone a few rows back bellows: "just shed thy ichors"