Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

How bad is a pretty bad? Can you put weight on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

On the other side, my bjj instructor is an awful salesman. I don't even think he wants new students. I only kept up with it because I had friends already doing it, and now a decent portion of my social life is hanging out with people I've met through class.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

if anyone ever does the hand slap and fist bump thing to me outside of the gym i instantly shoot a double and lay atop them panting

That might be less awkward than pulling guard at least.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks. It's just small cuts on my fingers I've noticed today, stemming from training last night I reckon, wouldn't dream of training with open cuts or anything. I keep everything covered, finger tape, rash guard, gi, even yoga socks to cover my feet if there's any cuts on them (much to my teammates' amusement). I'm big on hygene too, showering before and after, fresh uniform every class etc. I DO have dry skin though, have done since I was a teenager. I normally use standard shower gell, would you or anyone else be able to recommend anything better? Cheers again.

Isn't it considered not best practice to shower before rolling, unless necessary? I was under the impression that the skin already has some good bacteria set up as a first line of microbial defense, but showering can mess up that balance for long enough that immediately rolling after can be (marginally more) risky.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Cephas posted:

Wait is $75/month supposed to be high for judo? The cheapest martial arts I've seen offered have been $80/month. What's the typical going price for judo if not $75+?

The big club in DC is pay what you can, and until recently it was free. I think they want at least $10/month.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I've actually been surprised how few people we get in January. We get out largest membership bump in May when recent grads/interns start moving into town that have trained previously. We'll lose a few in August, but gain a few grad students. Our average new member who sticks with it doesn't seem to actually be fresh white belts.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

willie_dee posted:

How easy is it to finish an arm bar to the point where the arm is broken? I witnessed a fight on NYE between two people who had no idea how to fight and as it went to the ground one the one on the bottom was full mounted and put him arm up dead straight and it was an absolute gift of an arm bar, and it got me thinking about how easy it is to actually snap the arm. I have tapped people with arm bars and with Kimura's and stuff I can totally feel the arm give way and be snappable, but arm bars don't seem like the arm would actually snap, just do serious damage and cause a lot of pain.

Also what's the protocol for getting in a fight, would it be ok to break someone's arm, I'm not planning on but if I was the guy on top I would of seriously been tempted to do it and end the fight that way.

Just buy running shoes, man.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Thirty seconds of a blood choke can cause permanent brain damage and definitely kill (plus eggshell issues abound). One of the signs of damage occurring is rigidity, which can feel like they are resisting further, their eyes don't necessarily close, and people still breathe. It can look like an opponent is still resisting the choke, even though they are completely out and experiencing brain damage. Not something for someone pumped up on adrenaline to call.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 4, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

Although I am a BJJ practitioner I don't particularly care if someone wants to learn another martial art. But I would strongly suggest that whatever your motivation for taking a martial art or combat sport is you take one that has the added benefit of being practical as a self defense application (boxing, wrestling, muay Thai, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, etc). Although, if your main goal is to resemble Steven Seagal, by all means take Aikido.

I fenced for a long time. Maybe one day someone will try to duel me for my wallet.

I'll probably still just give him my wallet.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyoS8fppB0

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Subyng posted:

What can I do when someone is trying to pass my open guard, but I'm blocking them with one knee on their belly? I find myself in this situation a lot and it seems pretty trivial for the opponent to just push my legs away or spin around, and when they're sinking their weight down on my leg I kind of feel stuck.

Vids that JaySB posted are good. It's not really a spot where you can sit and wait for them to take initiative from. Playing guard is an active process; it's not just stopping them from passing, it's also them stopping you from improving position, too.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah the jock/bro culture is really annoying at first as a new mma gym member. Nobody even wants to drop acid in the locker room or go to the women's march, they're insufferable. Thankfully there seems to be more women than men at my gym and they are much less annoying. I don't think I get to hang out in that locker room though.

My gym is pretty chill. The worst thing that can happen is if one of the two Trump supporters will corner you in the locker room and ask if you believe in "family values."

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

spiralbrain posted:

Thanks. I do worry a little bit though. Im getting old and my back aint what it used to be. Are there any excercises you guys recommend for strengthening it up?

JaySB posted:

It will get stronger as you roll, just take it easy to start and gradually ramp up intensity. However, deadlifts, kettle bell swings, turkish get ups, and power cleans are never a bad idea to supplement your workout routine with.

All of this and don't forget to stretch. At the end of the day, an injured training partner isn't a training partner anymore.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah but when he has athlete guests are the only episodes that are bearable to listen to.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

So I've been going to BJJ for about a year now. It is hard to believe. I have been trying to keep up with my rolling but lately I'm running into a couple of consistent problems. The first is that I always seem to set myself up for armbars from virtually any position almost without fail, but that's obviously just something I have to keep working on.

The second is the question I'd like to ask the thread: when you're rolling with someone, what's the best way to initiate the roll? Usually when I'm rolling with someone else, we'd both start in combat base and try for a few grips, then the other guys always sort of bull into me and get me in a bad position. Evidently I need to rethink my approach. What are some good methods for starting off a roll?

We usually start with one person playing guard, the other trying to pass.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

We have an ex-aikido/TKD guy at my bjj gym. He's a decent blue belt, competes often, pretty athletic and smart. I only do OK against him because I have 25kg on him. Anyway, sometimes he wrist locks me when I'm in his guard and I hate it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

willie_dee posted:

My experience taking steroids is enough to prove to me that this is the case for pretty much any martial art. To go from rolling BJJ with a couple of heavy weights who could power out of a kimura or just flex their arm stiff to prevent it moving meaning I have lost an attack and probably a position because of being off balance concentrating on the offense of the Kimura, to suddenly them not being able to do that and me tapping them repeatedly because they don't recognise the actual techniques of defending a Kimura against me using technique instead of strength made one hell of a difference.

One dick head I know talks about tapping purple and brown belts, hes 240lbs ish and hes rolling with 165'ers and leg locking them, who gives a poo poo, stop bragging about it, gosh it annoys me, he doesn't ever mention rolling with 300lbs heavy weight blue belts and getting loving flattened ever, or gassing against little old me in the boxing ring and asking to stop and have a chat about technique.

Sorry, I didn't realise how much he had annoyed me, I need to get over it and not care.

It's such a huge no-no for a people to brag about tapping upper belts, especially from white/blues. Pretty sure if it happened in my gym that guy could expect to be tossed around for a few weeks.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I've been doing this whole training things for years and still haven't gotten a black eye :(

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

hi liter posted:

Also every grappler here should purchase a foam roller right now. Using one regularly will do wonders to keep your hips and back in good shape and not feeling like your muscles are trying to shrivel up and die.

Also a lacrosse ball. Easy to keep one at work.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Does BJJ work on the trail?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB if you dojo storm an aikido school please record it and share it here with us for posterity. Thank you.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Subyng posted:

Do you know how much it costs to train at openmat? I heard from someone that it's around $170/month which sounds really steep.

Would be cheap by DC standards :eng99:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's a Jean Jacques Machado black belt who visits us sometimes who is also a krav maga instructor and I'd like to think he's legit and wouldn't want his school to be teaching a bogus system.

He could also just be trying to make money, though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Edit: Wrong thread.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 23, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

spiralbrain posted:

Tore my intercostal cartilage yesterday sparring. Apparently this is a common injury??

What does that feel like? Months ago our coach decided we weren't moving fast enough and ended class with a 100 count pushup set. I haven't been able to do a pushup since due to chest pain.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Any time I think of fencing I am drawn to the hit anime series Gundam Wing.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

People rude as heck, that's for sure.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

please don't talk back to noted forum user willie dee

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Is it ok for someone else to bring up steroids?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Kekekela posted:

Paulo Miyao would probably disagree.

Paulo's argument for doping was that he didn't know he couldn't :v:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Congrats!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Day A
squat/barbell bench/row

Day B
squat/ohp/deadlift

Whatever for accessories.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

this is stronglifts & it's what I do. I'm very powerful, and good looking as well. https://stronglifts.com/

Stronglifts might be a bit much if you're also training a lot, though. Definitely adjust reps and weight increases as needed, assuming the focus is better at fighting over better at lifting weights.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I live in a city with an exceptional amount of police agencies (few dozen in and around) and I'm surprised my gym has no cops training with us.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Did you switch to knee on clavicle after that?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

"The loving Mentalist" is still available, you're good to go.

People may confuse him with a sex advice column spinoff of the hit tv show, The Mentalist.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

He's got a PHD in BJJ? :D

Professor means teacher in Portuguese.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It's his life. In Brazil, the driver'd have a gun in his face in a few seconds after trying that maneuver.

willie exists in a country with gun control laws

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly