Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Siivola posted:

I got the lighter Sisu for judo on the thread's recommendation. Never gotten a chance to test it, though, since I haven't been to judo after busting my ankle in the spring. :(

You could always wear it under your fencing mask for the thrill of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Music Theory posted:

If running away is the ultimate form of self defense, then is free running the ultimate martial art?

Can't outrun a bullet.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He said he was considering taking up BJJ on the side just because it would annoy his parents.

So overall a happy ending. Or jumping into a new cult depending on where he lands with BJJ. Lots of culty bullshit in BJJ too.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Neon Belly posted:

Yes but doesn’t it work on the streets?

We've been through this. Only gunkata works on the streets.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Nope but as you get older you need to adjust your goals and training methods. You are not too old to start a martial art at 30.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well you are unlikely to be a top competitor ever (if you want to compete) and you can't go spar hard every day all day. Common sense adjustments and realistic expectations you'd have with any sport.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Everyone here is apparently 31 including me. For reference I started at 28 and have been doing BJJ, HEMA, Fencing and kickboxing. For self defense I carry one of those personal alarms and wear running shoes.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

kimbo305 posted:

BJJ is perfect then, but.... there's a lot more Japanese terms in judo.

He can always be that guy who uses the judo terms for BJJ moves.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Yeah. My post was kind of just a dig at how much of BJJ is just Judo but pretending it's not. :P

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm curious, Siivola. Where do you train HEMA? I can't imagine the circles are that large in Finland. I remember you mentioning it maybe in the fencing thread but can't recall.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
That sounds oddly. Yeah I used to train with THMS and have been trying to get back into it as of late (as well as going the modern route) but life has been getting in the way.

Kind of wish there was more sidesword stuff but HEMA is all about them scary longswords competitively...

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Xguard86 posted:

Hand wrapping is badass and I wish BJJ had an equivalently cool preparation ceremony. Belt tying is close but doesn't make me recite the speech from gladiator in my head.

Clipping your nails?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
HEMA also has the Historical part. Some people will do things a certain way because that's how a 14th century Italian manuscript depicted it while someone else will do it a different way because that's how a 10th century German woodcarving depicted it.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Yuns posted:

When HEMA guys are researching early sources, how do they determine whether something is the medieval equivalent of an army field manual or a medieval version of black belt magazine. How do you winnow out the 14th century Ashida Kims.

References to the authors and manuscripts in other historical sources mostly. I haven't done HEMA in a while but that was a pretty common discussion topic. "Does this Fiore dei Liberi guy actually know his poo poo or is he full of it?"

It's an open question but in the end it's just learning the techniques as described and pressure testing them through sparring or competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Heh... Look at these guys thinking there is not people insane enough to do live sparring with sharp swords...