Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched this video and think this is the first time I've seen a bodybuilder beat the MMA fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14yjsulv7w

It made me sad. :(

Maybe Yuns can answer this, from a strategic point of view, are triangles kinda a bad idea with that much of a size imbalance if you are not mega lanky in no gi? Compared with attempting omoplatas, sweeps, armbars, or taking it back to standing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Shane isn't an MMA fighter, he's more of a kickboxer. Sparring isn't real fighting, but the guy who weighs almost 100lbs more than his opponent should almost always win. Fighting ability doesn't make you super human.

Believe me I know, but the bodybuilder dude pretty much let the guy throw on, to my purple belt eyes, a not bad looking triangle and dude pretty much just postured out of it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

The Ranking was sort of disappointing, even though I went in expecting it to be. I sort of get the feeling that it's a "so long as you keep showing up, you'll keep advancing, whether or not you practice your forms or do them right and well or not doesn't matter".

Which sort of takes some of the oomph out of it, I guess, it feels... less than deserved? And like it's almost not worth putting effort into in the future because its a sure thing anyway so why bother, you know?

But then I guess ultimately I'm only really doing this for myself anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

This is most traditional martial arts. People that are bad and just stick with it will get promoted regardless of their ability to demonstrate or teach what ever it is.

source: Mid level in a few TMA's, gave the finger to all of them once I realized that if I literally just showed up and didn't piss off the owner I'd get promoted.

edit: It's up to you, if you feel its worth it, I know dudes who are competent in BJJ who got their black belts in some TMAs and just collected them because it was fun.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2019

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Since you're new to grappling you're not being efficient with your movements and you're going to gas yourself to death regardless of being a goony goon or a guy who DOES CROSSFIT at an elite level. More rolling time will improve your stamina far quicker than any other thing you can do, barring that lift weights or do Yoga. If you don't want to do either of that go run or play tennis or something it'll probably all be about even anyway.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Anyone here know anything about THE DEFENCE LAB?

Yep, not great for much other than looking bad rear end in movie fight scenes.

IIRC: The dude who made DLab is the same dude who made Keysi, so he took keysi added some Silat and Eskrima stuff and called it a day.

edit: Source: When I had copious amounts of time in college and wanted to get fit, I went around collecting various martial arts and I learned a little bit of the DLab stuff from a Dan Inosanto affiliate down here which may or may not tell you the level of stuff you're dealing with.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I skimmed over what I could find about it and it just looks like a scammy MLM with lots of neon green t shirts.

I mean it's as much MLM as any other martial art affiliate kind of thing is right? If you're a Gracie Barra affiliate what do you get from them other than marketing assistance and a check you have to cut to Carlos?

but, yes it is bullshido although it is very flashy bullshido.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has your club approached the paper and been like "Hey we're doing self defense fundraiser thing taught by actual fighters"? A lot of the time you gotta go out and promote your self, journalists are like every one else and wouldn't be able to tell bullshit self defense advice from something legit useful like "buy running shoes" so if a dude from dlab came up and said :smug: "Look at these weirdos they don't know how the streetz is, we're running the true sauce over here" they'd might run with it thinking they're doing a public service.

edit:

kimbo305 posted:

Presumably higher priority for famous Gracie black belts to come by to do seminars / belt ceremonies?

I suppose someone has to find this stuff useful or no one would do it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Some dog brother/hema guys should armor up and go at it for my amusement. The Batman fight league BFL

Yea, I'd like see what those guys could do to each others with effectively spiked gauntlets

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

They’ve got a video where their advice on how to get out of an RNC is “stab the guy”,

Well.... it's technically not an incorrect answer.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not gonna train beyond fitness stuff during this time, but I'm also gonna keep my membership rolling. My worry is that poo poo gets bad enough that my favorite gym ends up closing from lack of funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Another quick question about eyeing eventual amateur competition: I'm not super concerned about BJJ, but at an amateur level, how dangerous is boxing / Muay Thai from a potential brain damage perspective?

If you're worried about drain bamage then striking competition probably isn't for you. You run a risk of an accidental concussion even if your partner isn't intentionally trying to put you down. While I am not saying that you'd definitely not get any sort of brain damage doing grappling competition, I've seen enough people get dropped on their heads and I personally got concussed when some dengus tried to escape a leg lock the dumb way, it's far more unlikely.