Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I was encouraged in another thread to post here.

An introduction:

I started like most 5 year olds in World Taekwondo. At the age of fourteen in 2001 I started to privately study Hapkido. I studied until my grandmaster’s death in 2011.

Unfortunately, my grandmaster was also my father.

My father was the senior student of his grandmaster. My father’s picture was on the wall of the dojang from well before I trained there to the schools closing. They were also best friends, so growing up martial arts were a family affair.

I stopped teaching and practicing after he died. (I still studied academically. Books, DVDs, etc.) I tried to keep up, but when I moved martially, my father was both present and unbearably absent. I was also diagnosed with a Bipolar disorder and put on a couple meds that shot my weight through the roof.

I finally started to train honestly again. Before I would start a school, last a month, then quit. But this time I’ve managed my grief so that I don’t have to worry about that and also I’ve decided to go into it with a beginners mind. Honestly I’m pretty much a beginner at this point as my body just can’t do what it used to. I’m training Aikido and my ukemi is awful, despite doing advanced ukemi with the old man. The beginners mind and empty cup are kind of nice, I’ve forgotten so much of Hapkido both in my mind and my body’s muscle memory that I don’t feel like I have to prove myself anymore. It’s ok to suck. As long as I train hard and with earnest then I have fulfilled my fathers (literal) dying wish that I study the arts in some form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

CommonShore posted:

I often think about them in a positive way when I'm practicing.

In Aikido, when we start class, after the bow we clap twice. At the end of class when we bow out we clap twice again.

Different teachers will tell you different things but Ueshiba was a religious man and in Shinto/Shinto-offshoots clapping is meant to invite the kami/spirit into the practice space and then send them away. As a Catholic I don’t believe this literally happens but I do think of it as asking my father and “uncle” to train with me and then thank them for their presence.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

I've often wondered what it would be like growing up as the kid of a master/grand master.

I wanted to post about this, but needed some time to think about it. Being the child of the Master is a beautiful burden. There’s this unspoken understanding that the only way to be as good as your parent is to become better than them. It’s the whole big-shoes-to-fill mentality but worse. But every teaching is immensely more meaningful.

Between my father and his master/best friend/my uncle, there were 5 children; my sibling and I and his three kids. We all trained until the school closed, my sister and I continuing training with Dad. By the time everyone was in college I was the only person still studying. To this day I am the only person amongst the five of us that could be called a martial artist.

My father by trade was an engineer. I have a degree in Theology and Religious Studies. I cannot inherit that trade, but I can inherit his “Do/Dao.” That’s why I feel as though when I train I am the successor to the family business.

It’s different for everybody, but that’s a glimpse into my experience.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Every year on Facebook I tell an embarrassing story about myself. This year’s is martial arts adjacent.

“Back in college I had a girlfriend who was selling a guitar over Craigslist. She found a buyer and called me to come with her because she felt unsafe and wanted to be protected. So I think to myself, “Well if the guy’s got a gun all we can do is be compliant. But is he’s got a knife if I can keep distance she can run to safety.” So I grab my cane I used for training. When she saw me she was livid. She thought it was ridiculous and unnecessary. So we go to the spot and from a bit of a distance I see a young man with a severe limp walking towards us. As he gets to us he greets us, looks at the guitar and exchanges the cash, then looks at me, smiles, and says “Hey, what have you got?” I instantly lie “Oh, back problems.” He responds “Yeah, I blew my knee out in Iraq. Well, thanks, have a good night!” She was so pissed and I was just sitting there looking up to the skies muttering “But I was right! I was right!””

Anybody got any good embarrassing martial art stories?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was once rolling with a lady wearing a tanktop and her boob came out and she didn't notice and I did not know what to do

:stare:

Count Roland posted:

While rolling I put my toes directly into a woman's crotch, with some force. Could feel vagina. She was cool about it.

:stare: :stare:

I’m not sure I could have ever gone back to class.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Excellent video! Good find.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

'Kano was the founder of all martial arts, the concept of martial arts'.

I knew there was a reason he turned off the comments. :D

It was a very simplified (and wrong) way of talking about the change from -jutsu to -do, which is a philosophical and practical distinction.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Area street fight manages not to go to the ground.
https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1259982680369901569

That karate stylist is pretty high level. I assume he's not TKD cuz he's keeping his hands up. He doesn't flinch when the punches come, stays centered over his feet on punches, and has the balls to throw a spin kick on uneven ground in a streetfight.
His unguarded stance switch at a distance is very sparring mentality, but it was fine.
Too bad the last kick didn't land the liver.

Am I seeing this right, shirtless guy is giving an indication that he gives-up and the kicker strikes him from behind. If he wasn’t in danger and the guy was surrendering kicking him from behind where he can’t see it coming seems brutish and cowardly.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Can't believe he threw spinning poo poo on the streetz.

I think he wanted to land a clean blow to teach a lesson.

And then there's the 2nd video where shirtless grabs a 2x4, so he wasn't exactly harmless.

Ah ok, the context makes more sense.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m trying to get my kicks back and I have a physiological question. Which is a more efficient sequence of training for getting better leg flexibility: 1. Warm up, stretching, kicking training or 2. Warm up, kicking training, then stretching.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

As a sport doctor, static stretching can reduce power output, not strength, if done before training. No real injury risks.

A warm up should include dynamic stretches and self-myofascial release. This will get you the mobility you need pre-kicking training without reducing you power output. As part of your cooldown do static stretching.

Great, thanks for the input.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m glad Jeff is going to be OK. My brother is a Wing Chun Sifu and he always says when teaching self defense “you won’t see the knife until it’s already coming out of you.”

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

LLJKSiLk posted:

https://youtu.be/u_AT_qYm-qc

My first time power breaking. Tried 8 10-inch boards. I made it through 6.

Didn’t hurt at all, but any tips/pointers are welcome.

I don't practice breaking but from what I've seen classmates and pros do everything looked solid. Do you practice visualization? For example, are you hitting the first board really hard, or are you punching the floor? This can make a massive difference, in my opinion, in breaking and combat.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Where do you guys shop for martial media? We probably all know Century, but where do you go for video or book learning? I have a few:

My favorite is Plum Publications. They specialize in Chinese Martial Arts and have a fantastic selection. They’ve been good to me for many years.

My favorite place for Japanese and BJJ is Budo Videos.They have a TON of BJJ material, but I tend to pickup their Aikido and occasionally Karate material.

Martial Arts Mart is the online store of the now defunct Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine. Their media supply isn’t quite as rich, IMO, but I’ve grabbed some interesting videos there.

This last one I mention more out of nostalgia. Wing Lam Enterprises was the brainchild of the late Grandmaster Kwong Wing Lam who put to video his Bak Siu Lum, Hung Gar, Xing Yi, Taiji, and Bagua. Since his passing, the store, which is still active, isn’t quite what it used to be user interface wise. The content is still very good.

Apologies if this topic has already been done to death.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 22, 2020

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Internetjack posted:

Hi Martial Arts Thread,
I have hardly ever posted in this thread or the previous one, but do try to catch up a couple of times a year.

I just had a fun morning. My teacher kindly and unexpectedly awarded me with 1st degree blackbelt rank, "shodan", this morning. Hooray!
I was wondering why he seemed to being running me through my paces a bit more than normal today. Hadn't had to wipe the sweat out of my eyes multiple times in a class in a while.

Doesn't really change anything, but its a nice milestone to hit after years of training.

Oh, and I train in the most deadly of martial arts Aikido!

Just wanted to share with other MA nerds cause I'm all giddy this afternoon.

I hope everyone's training is going well.

Aikido is dope, congratulations on Shodan! What lineage do you train in? I’ve put some time into Iwama-ryu. Does this mean you finally get to wear the Hakama?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Internetjack posted:

I hope I spell this right... Ken Kyu Kai, study of motion. I forget which student it descended from. Schools out of western Canada, though we have no official affiliation. Trained with a few other branches over the years too. And yeah, I guess I can order a hakama now. My instructor and friend does not wear one, because "they are a pain", lol, but I'll probably get one and train in it this winter just for practice, and drop it in the summer when it gets warm.

Well, your instructor isn’t wrong, trying to teach footwork in a hakama is like trying to do ballet in a wedding dress. It sure is pretty, though!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Do any of you own a Wing Chun dummy? I've been getting into woodworking since I can't grapple, and someone has asked if I can build one. I'd really like to see the mechanism that holds the limbs in place.

You might find this book helpful.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! I'll consider it if I get stumped - there are only a couple construction aspects that I'm still a bit unsure of how to construct, notably the base. None of the bases I'm seeing look like they're worth a crap.

I bought that book back when it came out and if I remember correctly it was too advanced for me (a young teenager) but was easy enough for my engineer father who wasn’t a wood or pvc worker. We never did get the chance to build one, unfortunately, so I can’t attest to the stability of the end product.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Grifter posted:

Someone from here who knows more than I do should go make Judo thread in the Olympics forum.

:hmmyes:

Judo and Fencing are the only Summer sports I care to watch.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Curious about karate:

How do the control and "hit too hard" rules compare to TKD?

Oh poo poo I forgot Karate made it in this year. I might watch some Kumite matches.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

CommonShore posted:

It better be Kyokushin where they have to stand in a phone booth and they're not allowed to strike to the head but they're allowed full force kicks to the dome. That'd own.

It's shotokan point fighting with extra safety gear isn't it

The best thing about Kyokushin rules are the insane number of suicide kicks folks do that just wouldn’t work in other rule sets.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Not getting into the conditioning debate on either side, but I did read an interesting essay written by one of Sifu Kwong Wing Lam’s students for Sifu’s book on iron palm. The author was a concert pianist by profession and was hesitant about doing martial hand conditioning but Sifu Wing Lam encouraged him saying if he did it as taught he’d be perfectly fine. Long story short after going through the training he said not only could he break better but his hands, especially his fingers, were actually more sensitive using the piano.

Anecdote /= evidence but that’s not the point, I found his account incredibly interesting from the perspective of the trust this man had in his Sifu and am curious if there could be hand condition methods that would increase sensitivity in highly dexterous situations rather than destroy the area being trained.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Sorry, Facebook post. Somebody colorized a video of some Swedish guys doing “jiu-jitsu” back in 1919 and it’s a fun watch. https://fb.watch/7E11gXMryP/

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Now I want to refer to him as “Sabumnim Trump” but I am afraid people won’t get that it’s satire.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

Well, he's in amongst favorite company. WT also awarded Putin a 9th.

WT gotta do what WT does. They really should go back to their old abbreviation WTF.

I will say this though, it's a quality belt and knot tie.

At least Putin is a martial artist. I’ve heard his Judo is respectable.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Red Crown posted:

I'm hoping to take up TKD. The biggest local establishment has a "student creed" to recite at the beginning of class, requires "yes sir/ma'am" for instructors and black belts, and has a little closing creed. Is this weird?

Not weird, really. It’s more common in schools that identify as “traditional” and emphasize martial ethics.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

It's interesting how some of the same/similar moves are differently named. TKD is so fractured lol. We're like the most dysfunctional family ever.

Having been in both worlds, I respectfully disagree. Wing Chun is bonkers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

Does Wing Chun use traditional Cantonese/Mandarin names?

Cantonese names, yes.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I used to live near a Bujinkan school that explicitly would not teach people with a mental illness. I hope that’s not a pan-Bujinkan policy.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

Okay I stand corrected.

Utter and complete bullshido.

Holy moly is it bad. And real dumb

Please post the details!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I found a local Sifu who teaches Wu (sometimes called Wu-Hao) style taijiquan. He teaches it as a martial art rather than just a Chinese health dance so I am very excited. In preparation I got running shoes. ;)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

How does he differentiate his curriculum?

I haven’t been to class yet but we had a good discussion. Basically, when you are taught a movement from the form the “first level” application is taught and drilled. They also practice push hands and the advanced “fast form” which is also more about martial application. He told me that if my interest is on martial arts he will be sure to teach me that. (His class sizes are very small, especially for his Taiji program, so everyone gets a lot of attention.) He also teaches kung fu but the style he teaches doesn’t grab me.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

That's awesome; one of my really good friends studies martial taijiquan and is an absolute badass, so I can only imagine how amazing his instructor is. They both also run a Chinese medicine place and I had him do some accupuncture on my shoulder a couple of months ago.

When I got out of undergrad I was going to get my degree in acupuncture and herbalism but I read a book about making money in the field and… let’s just say as a shy white guy I had NO chance.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

HAHAH well, I mean, my friend and his partner/sensei are both white guys but adapted pretty well by dropping the poo poo out of their prices and basically working in volume. I'm sure living in tourist alley Florida doesn't hurt that, but yeah, I can see where if an average person went for TCM and it wasn't Pai Mei sticking needles in them, they'd bolt.

I had a Korean acupuncturist tell me to my face that white people can’t practice Oriental Medicine because we can’t understand the philosophy and mechanics of it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Shut up, Steven.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I have a good friend who is a brilliant martial artist. He was good enough he could have gone semi/pro in kickboxing rule sets but he has a rare ocular condition because of a nasty spin kick he took to the side of the head. His doctor told him if gets hit again like that he will go blind. My friend, being a reasonable person with a wife and daughter to love and support, no longer does sparring as part of his training. You can tell it bothers him, but it’s the right choice.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Goons, how do boxing gyms without classes work? The MMA gym where I went to striking classes near me closed. Theres some boxing gyms in the area where its cheap to sign up but theres no classes, seems you have to pay for personal training from one of the fighters or coaches (or figure out workouts on your own). Anyone have experience with these types of gyms that you can describe your routine there?

Is it one of those circuit training gyms where you follow a set routine every time?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Oy, weird question. I started training Aikido again (at the moment I'm cross-training with Wu Tai chi) and I'm having a very specific problem. When I'm being thrown and standing back up over and over I find that my underwear isn't keeping everything together and I get into a position where if my pants were to suddenly fall down everyone would see... everything. I wear briefs, does anyone recommend a different style and brand for keeping things tight that works well under a gi?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks for the underwear recommendations, folks. I had no fears of dangling my unmentionables to everyone on the mat. Which was an especially great blessing today as I was THE ONLY MALE ON THE MAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I have never heard random people on the street talking about martial arts before, but this couple was talking about their friend needing to travel or move and having to pick up some new thai pads. One person said, "I said he should just go with Fairtex because those are the standard."

Smdh at not going with Boon.

My “uncle” (my father’s best friend and Hapkido master) had jackets made up for the dojang which only had the initials of the school, not even a Korean flag. I regularly had folks ask me if it was a dojang/dojo/martial arts school. Fortunately they were all cool and we swapped stories about training.