Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Goons, I'm a baby and my shins really hurt from kicking the bag after one week of kickboxing. Am I supposed to not kick the bag as hard as I can, or is this just pain and my shins aren't actually damaged so I should continue kicking the bag? That and my wrists kind of feel weak from punching the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KildarX posted:

Are you kicking a boxing bag or a banana bag? Because you shouldn't be kicking a boxing bag as hard as possible..

I dont know what a banana bag is, but the bags at the gym are long and heavy I guess? Like man-sized bags

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Best advice for concealing/diminishing a black eye? Held on to an arm bar during a scramble and posted with the side of my face.

I just tell people I fell down the stairs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Hey goons, just a friendly reminder to keep your drat hands up when assaulting moped thieves

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I have the gel wraps and they add padding but no support whatsoever. For bag work they're not helpful imo.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spb posted:

My ear has been sore, to the pointing theres discomfort when sleeping on my side. I've started wearing ear protectors when rolling but we were doing drills tonight and I realized it was getting sore from that too. Going to look like pussy wearing ear protectors for drills..

I think the dudes wearing ear protectors at my gym look badass. Like they are geared up for real business.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

I am Otis posted:

Headgear is cool but so are hosed up ears.

So: get your ears hosed up, THEN get headgear to protect them from getting unfucked up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mewse posted:

When will Crossfit Defense debut in the UFC?

Never. It's too deadly.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Novum posted:

Thats probably the more helpful way to phrase it. Judo nerds this applies to you too.

Yeah seriously, why use the japanese words for all this stuff? Why not just say things like "hook" or "advance foot sweep" instead of deashebarai or w.e., we aren't Japanese

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Goons, how do boxing gyms without classes work? The MMA gym where I went to striking classes near me closed. Theres some boxing gyms in the area where its cheap to sign up but theres no classes, seems you have to pay for personal training from one of the fighters or coaches (or figure out workouts on your own). Anyone have experience with these types of gyms that you can describe your routine there?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Is it one of those circuit training gyms where you follow a set routine every time?

Nope its definitely not like a Title Boxing gym or something like that, it has a ring and several local amateur and professional fighters fight out of it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
people throwing up or feeling nauseuous when doing something physically difficult for the first time in a while is really not that crazy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think it depends a lot on area and art. Around here, 125 to 200 gets you unlimited classes for mma or bjj. 30 to 50 gets you in the door at a boxing gym, but then classes are usually 20 each.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
if a place doesn't allow me to sign a month to month contract (i.e. they demand a prepaid year or whatever) im not going there no matter how good they seem otherwise

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
one reason that many noobs are out of breath when doing martial arts is that they forgot to Breathe. make sure to breathe

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Morter posted:

So one concept about what I'm learning (Wing Chun) is about keeping light on your feet, so we bounce on our toes for a couple minutes at a time. It makes my shins ache if I do this for more than 30 seconds, whether in the school mat or at home on my semi-thick carpet. I can certainly walk for extended periods of time and even run a little without this pain happening at all, and it's not a high impact jump or hop. Edit for clarity: Nothing I do in my daily life generates this pain other than me hopping on my toes. Is there any reason for this other than me being overweight (5'8", 235 as of now)? Is there anything I can work on besides my gut to make this more tolerable?

IME shin pain doesnt get better if you keep doing the same thing, take a break from whatever is giving you shin pain and build back up slow

If it is a dull pain maybe its just regular muscle soreness and youre fine. But if you are experiencing any kind of sharp pain on landing you should stop

Im not sure why people get shin pain but ive seen it in even fit people doing just a small amount of e.g. running. And if you try to run through it, its not gonna get better

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
cant you just have a powerpoint or excel sheet or something

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I like my Hayabusas because the second wrist strap makes my wrist feel way more secure, it made a big difference for me

I don't like the cloth sweat-wipe thumb pad though on mine (I think i have the T3?). Its not very effective at actually wiping away sweat, yet it absorbs stuff so I got to clean it. I would get the hayabusa model one step dowm that still has the doubel wrist strap but no fiber thumb if I was buying again.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Hollandia posted:

The P4 has the thumb thing and only one wrist strap.
The T3 types have regular thumb and double strap but are :10bux::10bux: .

Ah well might have to go for something cheaper like the Fairtex and then see where I'm at from there.

The t3 definitely has the microfber thumb unless youre looking at the leather one

The h5 has the double wrist strap also for less $$ than the t3

Either way the t3 is too mucch, go for the h5 at the most

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone got good recommendations for boxing shoes, preferably low cut? I been wearing some merrell vapor gloves and looking at the bearfoot ursus since I like quite low cut shoes, but thinking about actual boxing shoes too.

Even then the low cut boxing shoes still look kind of high to me and Im worried Ill get blisters or chafing with my regular athletic socks (ankle socks)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Team sparring in the form of like a 5v5 brawl sounds unsafe but really fun to watch imo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

slidebite posted:

This might be a crazy question, but does anyone use an app (android/Ios) specific to your club?

We were talking about communication with senior belt, general members, maybe a calendar and sharing news, and a simple app came up in discussion.

I, personally am a fan of a web board (much like this/phpBB, etc) as you don't need any software or agreeing to waivers a mile long, just a log in and an active email address. To my surprise I learned that some people don't even really go on the web anymore with a browser and instead use apps? :iiam:

We do NOT want to get handcuffed to something like Facebook or anything along those lines because some people (like me) never joined, don't have any desire to and actually believe that people are leaving some of the big companies.

But what do I know, I'm old.

Are club apps a thing? If so, are there quasi out of the box options you can customize? Or it is swiftly moving into "Hey, you need to hire a developer for this or else it's going to be a hot mess."

Maybe just use Discord or make a private subreddit if you truly must have an APP

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If youre worried about people not checking their email, isnt that going to be a problem with literally every other method of communication you could think of except maybe direct texting or calling?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo try out a few gyms with different martial arts and see what you enjoy (and which place you vibe with).

MMA gyms usually have both grappling and striking and sometimes combo classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

standing heavy bag

those are gonna move around a lot no matter what especially if youre kicking them hard

Imo use it more like a technical tool, like a double end bag, not power shots

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 10, 2024