Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not being critical, just razzing you guys. Someone linked an essay about how decomposable the mechanics of judo throws are from their names, and that the primary barrier is just the foreignness of the individual terms.

I'm 100% sure that I would have better throw techniques if any of the throws we're taught in sanshou had names. Having a name for something is an extremely useful mental handle/abstraction for the move while you're unfamiliar and trying to learn the muscle memory of it. You can accumulate what you're learning hands-on to the name you're thinking of in your head, instead of an unnamed concept.

As much as it bugs me, Eddie Bravo has had a lot of success with this. The names may be real dumb poo poo like crackhead control, but the point is that there's a lot of names for lots of positions, they're distinct and hence memorable.

For most BJJ sequences, it's the end goal or maybe the entry that gets the name. In 10th planet often individual steps gets their own names, which encourages people to focus on them and practice from these positions specifically.

My very first instructor was this serious, gruff guy who was bad for this. I was constantly asking him what the names of things were and he'd just say "I don't know", in a tone of voice that said I shouldn't care either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OWLS! posted:

decided I wanted to get back on the punchsports train, and started going to a muay thai gym a week and a half ago.

Four classes later: Everything loving hurts, and I'm assuming it doesn't really ever stop hurting, you just hit harder.

I was mangled when I did my first BJJ class (happened to be all rolling) for several years. Couldn't turn my head. Raising my left arm hurt bad.

But these went away, and things got progressively better.

You'll always have pain from bruises, strained muscles and the like. poo poo like your joints hurting is a big deal though, don't try and power through those.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hi liter posted:

there is universality to learning the japanese names. theyre actually not hard, and gives people from different nations a standard language. i've trained with people who dont speak a lick of english and gotten great instruction from them because i have a basic grasp of a judo terminology.

any martial art is just as full of jargon. wtf is a kimura or a americana or a x guard or a de la riva? none of these things are descriptive at all.

Yeah. This doesn't mean we can't use english ever or that every single technique needs to be written in japanese, but the fact that osoto gari is the same in the USA as DR Congo as Kazakhstan as Vietnam is handy for international competition and also pretty neat generally.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

Guys, I've seen all three Ip Man films. Wing Chun is legit.

A good friend of mine has this exact opinion. "Wing Chun is good against boxers". He was really into Bruce Lee for a bit too, and would practice the 1 inch and 3 inch punch on a heavy bag we had when we lived together.

At one point I got tired of him talking about this, so I asked him to 3 inch punch me. He could do it as hard as he liked. I'm real skinny so my sternum/solar plexus/gut isn't really shielded my muscle. And he's a big guy, 6'5 200lbs, with a little boxing experience. It stung a bit with repeated blows, but it mostly did nothing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

I loving love watching full-contact karate.

Is it actually fun to watch the events, or just highlights like this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I like the Glory rules. Not perfect but pretty fun.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

How many of you guys/girls integrate yoga into their BJJ regimen? How has it helped you? Just curious.

I'm just getting back into BJJ now, but I fully intend to regularly train yoga at the same time.

So while I can't talk too directly, I can say there's a lot of nice overlap. If you train BJJ you'll find yoga a very natural thing to get into-- twisting your body into interesting positions and holding them will feel normal to you. If you stretch after a BJJ class to try and increase your flexibility, well you'll get similar or better results from taking yoga. Give it a try.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DC has some good looking BJJ places. Just avoid the self-defense ones.

This one's instructor is a black belt under Drysdale and has done well in a bunch of big competitions.
http://abmarbjjacademy.com/instructors/abmar-barbosa/

I own a book written by the instructors here. That's neat.
http://www.rjjanova.com/about-ribeiro-jiu-jitsu-academy-nova/

A pure BJJ school won't get you far in MMA mind you. But if you take a free trial class at one (and if they don't let you try for free, you shouldn't be there at all) to understand just how useless your skills are right now. Having a 130lbs blue belt dominate you for 5 minutes will be quite educational. Then remember that your Muay Thai experience will be similar, just more brutal.

You could also go to a local MMA event, ideally one featuring amateur fighters, and pay attention to the gym affiliations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

You're 28 and out of shape and think you can make it to UFC? Wow. You're 10 years too late.

Just do BJJ to get into shape and have fun.

He's got TMA experience though, don't forget that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

I've been doing judo for a while now, and I'd like to catch up a bit on my ground techniques. I know a few holds and submissions for my yellow belt, but I have gaps in some of the more technical stuff like escapes, mounting positions, ways to get past someone's guard, and stuff like that. In judo there are a bunch of kihon/basic techniques, like breakfalls, footwork, posture, and gripping, and they all have specific names and specific ways to perform them so it's easy to learn. Like if I knew someone who wanted to learn judo from scratch, for standing techniques I could be like "okay, here's the footwork, here's how you fall, here's how you grip," and so on, and could catch them up to speed on the fundamentals. Is there an equivalent like that for newaza or bjj?

I know how to shrimp and how to bridge, and how to try to peel someone out of a turtle, but that's where my ability to move around on the ground ends. Are there like, some basic terms I should look up and practice? My dojo doesn't do ground stuff too often so I want to get a little bit extra in on my own.

BJJ is built around a hierarchy of positions. Start at the weakest, and work your way up.

Guard
Side control
Mount
Back

A good place to start is to learn how to move between these positions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Makes sense, given that the IOC keeps trying to remove it from the Olympics to grandstand, and as mentioned there's no money in it except for the best of the best who learn some striking and go MMA.

Is money the only driving factor here? Colleges do all kinds of sports, and while some of them are platforms to build a career on, others like say volleyball clearly aren't a way to make a living and yet they're still practiced.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I recommend watching the original video, and the follow-up he did ~ a year later. They're a bit less, click baity maybe, though its only in this one he seems to have given up on practicing aikido altogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUXTC8g_pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3IwxR2Ar-I

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

This makes me wonder what context a lot of these aikido moves are supposed to be applied. They don't seem to work well against an opponent who is boxing, but perhaps they would work better against someone who was wielding a weapon?

Even if the techniques were valid (and they mostly look like they are not) since they're never practiced with resistance, or used in sparring, or used in competition, there is no way to actually apply these techniques.

Apparently back in the day aikido was taught to people that already had judo or karate black belts, and that it was meant as a sort of supplement. I don't know how true that is.

In this vein is Roy Dean, black belt in BJJ, judo and aikido. He made popular instructional videos back when I did most of my training. He likes to talk about aikido but it mostly comes out in his frequent use of wrist locks in BJJ. Anyone interested may want to check him out.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Those slips though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Odddzy posted:

It works, reading now, is the guy from French Canada? I was surprised at the french in his intro.

McGill is a university in Montreal, Quebec, so some french isn't that unusual.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bruce Lee

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wear wraps. You get the added benefit of feeling cool as you put them on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Magnus Manfist posted:

In my gym - just a normal weights gym, not martial arts - there's a group who train muay thai with no head shots. They have no equipment beyond pads, no ring or heavy bags, they always just have two pairs at once sparring in basically the little stretching area. It's kind of a weightlifting/bodybuilding gym so the guys are absolutely loving stacked, but they have no idea how to box. It's actually fascinating how badly it screws up the mechanics of boxing. You can't keep distance at all without jabs and straights. Basically attack is just walking into close range without a care in the world, leaning way forwards with their hands down (so the torso's pretty well covered, but they seem to have no idea their chins are just hanging out there) and throwing body shots. Defence is basically just turning sideways a bit and covering your torso with arms, at which point body shots become completely ineffective, you're just bashing their shoulder and forearms. So every exchange is just two massively hench dudes swaggering up and throwing body shots and the occassional leg kick until they get tired and break apart, over and over.

It's incredibly bizarre.

Take a video, please.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Duke Roufus has an ancient video instructional you might be able to still find. I liked it.

Do you have a heavy bag at home?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

No, I've got people to train with at home (we have pads) though.

http://www.groundfighter.com/ This it? Is 150 really pricey? Or is it worth it?

*edit* It's on amazon for 75$

Here's a clip of the one I'm thinking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0bHqiM1Is

I wouldn't pay 75 bucks for it myself. If you're just starting and have a willing training partner (which is amazing btw) I'd practice basic stuff. The guys here would be better able to suggest drills than me, or you could just take drills from your gym home with you.

Man I wish I lived with a training partner, there's so much stuff I'd like to drill at home.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Scruff_McGee posted:

If you are interested in free high quality Youtube videos - it was mentioned earlier in this thread I believe, but Joseph Valtellini has some great videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?JosephValtellini?videos especially if you have a training partner. Its largely kickboxing focused but he does have some Muay Thai specific stuff. I've been going through this list as a beginner, and could totally see building a training regime from these.

Another Youtube source is "FightTips" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?FightTipsVideos?videos with videos ranging from bag work drills, to '5 mistakes in your jab', to analysis of UFC fights.

The first link doesn't work, but searching on youtube for the name finds the channel.

Which is loving awesome. I've seen that guy in Glory before and liked him. And I really like seeing video #70-- that's a lot of content right there.

Thanks.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

I've been doing judo for almost 8 months now, and I've been picking up a few little pains around certain joints of my body. Like, my thumb/wrist, my shoulder, one of my big toes. And tonight I was doing some light ne waza with someone a lot heavier than me and when he was turning me over I heard a loud series of little cracks/pops around my humerus/ulna area. It doesn't seem like anything major, but I have the feeling that this one is going to join all the others and linger for a while.

Is this normal? Like, none of them hurt enough to get in the way of performance except maybe my thumb/wrist, and that's only when I'm doing chokes. The pain's pretty minor, but I'm a little worried that since these aches are happening around parts of my body that are pretty much always going to get used every time I practice, then they might never fully heal/might start degrading further over time.

is this anything to look out for or am I just living the judo life

Pain of all shapes and sizes will be your constant companion if you train hard and consistently.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

Will an average Judo session constitute a strength training day?

I'm currently working on a 3 days a week body weight exercise routine. I tried doing to training on the same day as Judo once, never again, and have instead taken to doing the exercise regime Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with Judo on Wednesdays. The trouble is, Judo sessions have slowly been getting harder and harder as I've improved and now that I'm a red belt I'm basically allowed to participate mostly fully. This wrecks me for Thursdays which means my form is poo poo for body weight training. Which even further wrecks me on Fridays if I ever do manage to complete the full routine, to the point I've had to call in sick to work last week.

I'm trying to find a way to balance it all, but if I could just wash my hands and count Judo as a strength training day, things would be a lot easier to work with.

What's your priority?

I train BJJ, and for me that's my number 1. All my other training takes a back seat-- if I'm too tired/sore during BJJ, then I cut something else out. It sounds like you're over-training, so the only real question is what you cut.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Once I was walking by a park and saw people "fighting" with foam swords. I started talking to them, and challenged one to a duel. I won, with no training in this "sport". Can't say I respect it much.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

Alright, so, a few people at my Judo club (the Sensei included) have been hinting at the fact that there is a grading competition happening in January thats "around my skill level."

On the one hand, it is something I would like to get into eventually. On the other, I really don't think I'm at a level that's worthy of competitions yet, no matter what anyone else may say or think. That, plus I don't think I'm anywhere close in any other area of training; I can only manage 4 pull-ups at most for example.

But with that in mind, what is the best way to go about training for such an oppertunity in the future? Not just the techincal skill, but the strength and endurance as well.

Asking your sensei is probably a good start. Frankly he has a better awareness of your relative skill than you do.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Jamie, pull up that video.
https://i.imgur.com/fgakRrh.mp4
Yeahhhh.. Wow. Look at that fuckin horse, jumping in air, turning, looks back and then fires off that sidekick.

The speed at which the person flies back looks almost fake. I hope they were wearing armour.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dave Grool posted:

staring at the wall when passing/breaking guard is good practice for maintaining correct posture too

Yeah. I often find myself looking above uke's head at some random spot on the mat while rolling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I did my Muay Thai class a few days ago. It was pretty good. It consisted of doing warms and working on form when striking and kicking. I was a bit shocked to see that there was no "ring" in the gym as I assumed people would spare there. Not sure if that's a red flag or not.

How is the sparring done? Often light sparring is done wherever there's space. Its harder to do heavy sparring or dedicated training when you might bump into people fighting 4 feet to your left.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great points in this thread. The place has high reviews, but then again so does almost every other gym.

Would it be okay if I posted places that I would consider trying out instead or will you guys get mad at me spaming?

I think posting them is fine, but you could also just go and try them. Seeing a variety of different schools will give you a better perspective on the matter.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Seen on the internet:

quote:

-Tae Kwon Do: due to increasing circumference around your middle, you lose the ability to touch your toes and often to even see them. You cannot say no to weapons with metallic or glitter paint. You believe hairstyles and fashions reached their pinnacle in 1983

-BJJ: You've developed the lightning fast ability to flop down on the ground upside down anytime someone threatens you or even raises their voices. You own more funny rashguards than ties. You know 30 ways to pass a Spider Guard but have no idea how to defend a punch.

Kung Fu: you lack any ability to cut your hair after you start to go bald - You are the king of the balding ponytail. You also have no ability to use your thumbs for anything, preferring to act like you have stiff mannequin hands. You've also never found the secret technique to defeat your virginity

Wrestling: your head is permanently tilted back 15 degrees to try to make your traps look bigger. A childhood of constant weight cutting made sure you never got taller than 5'4. You think the Bowl (Moe) haircut is the best thing ever

Army Combatives: you passed level 1 so you think you're basically a UFC Fighter

Marine Combatives: you got your tan belt so you think you're basically Rambo

Kali/Escrima: you're ready to pull your weapon and go to prison for 30 years if someone even looks at you wrong. You bring up how many knives you have on you at all times in even the most casual conversation.

Gracie Combatives: You've trained. for 14 months and can't resist criticizing "Sport" Black Belts with 20 years of experience. You've also been running your own school for 9 of those 14 months. Your gis are spotless.

Krav Maga: you think you're the only people in the world who figured out that hitting someone in the eyes or balls would hurt them. You've basically turned spazzing out as hard as you can into a "martial art"

Karate: see Tae Kwon Do but with more grimacing, angry faces, and broken boards.

Systema: Russia gave the world Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Kandinsky, Stravinsky, and more. That almost makes up for them inflicting Systema on us.

Judo: You're 27 but have the body of a 117 year old bull rider. You make sure to tell every other grappler the correct Japanese name for the move they're doing and how it actually came from Judo anyways.

Ninjitsu: you're name is Dylan and you're from the suburbs. You're Dad's a dentist. You're not a ninja.

Boxing: kicking isn't fair, grappling isn't fair, clinch fighting isn't fair. Take those out and Boxing is the most realistic, manly fighting style there is. Also, all shorts should be made to slide all the way up to your nipples

Muay Thai: yes, we know, you broke a baseball bat with a kick once. It takes longer to pronounce the names of the fighters in a Muay Thai match than it does for them to fight.

Sambo: Like the readout in the Terminators eyes, all you ever see are the words "dive on foot". You shave your legs but your gis have epaulets so that's pretty awesome.

Aikido: you're basically powerless if no one grabs your wrist or comes running at you with an overhead chop (the way most fighters do). I Don't know if it's worse getting thrown by an Aikido practitioner or smelling like patchouli wherever they touched you afterwards.

Hapkido: a thousand different organizations and each one will tell you why all the other ones suck. They are extremely dangerous if you attack them exactly the way they ask you too. And, you don't resist.

Catch Wrestling: the Krav Maga of grappling.

Savate: a truly terrifying martial art. Because anyone who lost a fight to a French guy would have to kill themselves in shame. Cheap to learn because you only need to borrow your sisters ballet slippers and you have your outfit

Sumo: gotta love any martial art where the weight classes start at Obese and go up from there. From Japan - the nation that loves fat guys in diapers slapping each other and tentacle porn.

Kenpo: or is it "Kempo?" Which is it? Actually, never mind. No one cares.

Capoeira: weird to name a martial art after the worlds largest rodent from South America. After a capoeira fight, you're not sure who won or lost but you are pretty sure one of you is pregnant

MMA: you can't "afford to pay for training" but have roughly $30,000 worth of tattoos. You get confused how to make a complete sentence without "bro" or "brah". You're 3-7 amateur but tell everyone you'll be in the UFC in the next 6 months. You have at least one serious injury at all times

UFC Style: You don't actually train. Your closet contains only wife beaters. You have the same amount of tattoos as the MMA guy but only spent $22.13 on them. You've never trained any real martial art or fought but have your own fighters page on Facebook.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I used the medium range boil and bites, they cost like $25 or something. I'm sure I could get better, but I don't even notice it my mouth anymore and its definitely saved me from a few knees to the jaw.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Conceptually, Judo is probably my favorite martial art, largely for historical reasons. But the rules are just terrible. Attempts to keep it pure have only hampered the art and prevented natural evolution.

I do not want BJJ to become an olympic sport for this reason.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

It really sucks too because you don’t see a lot of Judo guys dominating in MMA these days. Clearly it is a useful skill to have but without the gi and rule set it, few judoka have really excelled and many argue that you’d get a lot more mileage out of time spent learning wrestling.

Or sambo!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Judo. Bring comfortable in standup grappling will be useful. Judo is also typically cheap and has quality instruction.

Muay Thai will get you used to range, and people trying to get you with things at different ranges. You'll probably get a very good cardio workout.

Honestly, you should just try them and see which clicks with you. The best option is there one that you'll actually go to.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Update. Moped crime has significantly decreased now police officers are allowed to ram them.

The big thing now is knife defence. The only thing I've ever heard that's worth doing if confronted with a knife is run.

If running isn't an option. Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of survival against someone with a knife?

I've heard of really fun-sounding drills for knife defence stuff. Basically you have a dummy knife and you put lipstick or something similar on the sharp parts. Then you have people try their knife defense moves. The result seems to be that you get a lot of lipstick on you. I bet it would be an eye opening experience.

I agree with the "just run" sentiment, but I don't think that should discourage you from looking into it. Just don't pretend like you're invulnerable to knives, no matter how much training you have.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

In Borges's short stories about Argentinian knife fighters, children practice by using charred sticks as training knives.

Neat.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Siivola posted:

It's not leverage. It's moment of inertia.

Its both, and more.

Moment of inertia is a property of an object, namely how hard it is to get it rotating. This is what makes a staff hit hard.

By holding a staff at different points, you are effectively changing the length of the lever arm as you swing. If you hit with the far end, but hold somewhere closer to the middle, then this is leverage.

And since this is all rotational, its more proper to use torque rather than force.

In any case, I think we all knew what was meant by leverage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I'd say this guy's sparring looks pretty good for one year of training, assuming it was 1-3 times a week. He's got a lot of flaws that will take a long time to iron out, but looks about as comfortable in there as people who trained from scratch for 2 years. It wasn't obvious to me what if any habits or anti-habits he picked up from aikido. His biggest flaw defensively is leaning back to avoid strikes, but that looks the same as people who have 0 prior experience would do.

I think in the video he said he trained 6 times a week. And yeah he looked pretty good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are you a kid? Because that's all I see on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The Muy Thai is "adults only", (which actually means 13+), but from what little I've seen it's mostly actual adults. Their Kenpo stuff is very kid focused though.

My comment was a bit glib, but what I was implying was that it isn't great for you, an adult, to go to a website to check out their services and see only children in the photos. It implies that adults aren't their main customers or what they focus on.

School's whose bread and butter is kids classes are often very different from those focused on adult stuff. I'd be wary.