Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Xander77 posted:

I was just about to say that people were bringing that up as an alternative.

What's wrong with it?

It's kinda dead, staffing is virtually non-existent, and it's horrible for SSLPs because it doesn't have pagination, just infinite scroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like to believe I do good work. I put a lot of effort into my LPs, and I think that it shows. That said, I can't afford to host my SSLPs myself, and I don't think I have enough of a built-in audience to really get away with setting up a Patreon even if I didn't have to solve hosting. The Dark Id managed to make it work, and I'm glad for him, but he's probably the most well-known SSLPer around and he's been doing this like, three times longer than I have. I'm not ragging on TDI, love that guy and love his work, but I hope we can put SA back in our own hands or at least find a new forum (hopefully one that uses BBcode, heh) because I'm pretty much doing this entirely because I like making jokes and I get the good brain chemicals when people say nice things to me on the internet, and while I'd love to be able to have people sending me tips like that I don't know that it's a viable solution for myself or anyone else. I also really just like the format of forum discussions, and I'd hate to lose that.

I think SSLPs might just kind of die if they don't have a proper home, and that would be a real shame.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do not trust BnR

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They had a hundreds-page-long thread "ironically" discussing transphobic conspiracy theories

People noticed, the thread got locked, there was a large ruckus in QCS, and FYAD got locked down for a while

Lowtax stepped in eventually, gave FYAD a warning, then reopened it, and FYAD immediately started up a thread about sucking off Hitler or some poo poo

Then FYAD got nuked

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS is throwing a big benefit concert to save the rec center!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sally posted:

at the risk of tripleposting, i also wanted to requote this.

anyone interested in making tags for these? we absolutely could add this to LP if we want. it was just done to QCS and A/T a d SA Mart already have it... we have the technology!

Someone can probably do better but I hosed around in Photoshop for a bit and made this one:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

3's probably a little too fast, yeah. I would go with 2, it seems the closest to what I would be used to in this kind of game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, I've been planning a 13 Sentinels LP for a little while. I'm not ready to post it immediately, but I drafted a first update today and I'm wondering about a few things.

First update

So, because I love making bad decisions, I decided to do multiple portraits for various emotions here, but I ran into a major problem: the sprites aren't ripped anywhere, so I need to grab them manually. Which compounds with the problem of the background and lighting changing depending on the scene, so I run into parts where this will happen:

quote:

But seriously, Amiguchi… We gotta catch that guy, and quick.
You want to hang out again that badly?
He’s got all the good video games! They’re just waitin’ for me to play ‘em.

quote:

This sucks, man. Can’t find Amiguchi anywhere.
Waaaait a minute. What’s goin’ on here? You two are lookin’ awfully cozy.

In the first example, it looks kind of weird and is hard to scan quickly that the background will change, and with it the entire color of the portrait, making it hard to tell that the first and third portraits are the same character. That's less of a problem to me than the second example though, where consecutive portraits for the same character, already something I'm not fond of doing, change dramatically in terms of general color and make it hard to tell at a glance they're the same person. Can someone tell me if I'm worrying over nothing here?

Also, is (parentheses) for internal monologue readable enough? I worry I should just change it to italics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks all, I wanted to show off the good character art but I replaced all the portraits and they look better now with one per character.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cropping is probably the best solution if you only need specific segments of the screen. For my Disco Elysium LP I used a Photoshop routine to automatically crop every single image to the portion of the screen that was centered on where the dialogue box pops out and then manually sorted out and cropped any others.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got an email from YouTube I thought I should mention, if you've got unlisted videos that were uploaded before January 1st, 2017, YouTube is going to make them all private unless you opt out. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who does SSLPs who uploads any incidental videos as unlisted, so just warning people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think you could probably find a medium between those. I tried resizing that to 60x81 and it looks mostly fine to me.

It all depends on preference, though. I tend to err towards larger portraits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People have LP'd romhacks countless times, I don't see an issue

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I make long updates and I am constantly straining against the character limit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mix. posted:

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how long you should pause on a dialogue section before moving to the next one when it comes to a video LP of a VN/RPG Maker/Etc type game?

I'm teaching myself video editing (slowly :shobon:) to expand the range of stuff I can LP (and also, like, for practical purposes, I already edit audio for a podcast I'm part of so adding video to my repertoire would help tremendously), but my reading speed is absurdly quick so I have no personal sense of what a good amount of time would be for the average person. (Obviously if there's voice acting that helps set its own metric, but this is for stuff without voice acting).

The advice I've heard is read it in your head twice, though I do SSLPs so it's not really relevant for me :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IGgy IGsen posted:

Well, this one guy's been pissing for weeks and nothing happened. So he must be doing something right.

https://twitter.com/tactfulogre/status/1347278500076654594

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Confession: I transcribe everything by hand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Acerbatus posted:

haven't you LP'd persona 5 like 3 times???

:shepicide:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That seems readable. A better font would help at that size but that's probably out of your control.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sally posted:

it was so bad we got two LPs gloriously ripping into it simultaneously

Remember the four minutes I was going to do an LP of it and got spared because a second YIIK LP had hit the forums?

Lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The two things I remember about that aborted LP were coming up with a joke while recording that GrandmaParty and his co-commentator for that episode had already ended up making at the exact same point, and also this post, which I'm still pretty proud of:

Arist posted:

Hey guys, I've been working on a little LP of my own of this game! It's in screenshot format, and I put a lot of work into it! Enjoy!

Part 1: Holy poo poo Why Is The Music So Goddamn Loud

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PurpleXVI posted:

It helped a good deal when I learned that Irfanview let me save cutting/resizing templates.

Huh, it does? I did all my mass crops for the Disco Elysium LP using Photoshop batch actions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Depends on how long the updates will be. Speaking from my perspective as a reader and less from my experience as a creator, you somewhat paradoxically run the risk of losing readers if your updates are too long and happen too frequently because SSLPs require an attention investment and it's easy to fall behind if the updates come too often.

I realize I do really long updates, but that's just me being a hypocrite :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

limeicebreakers posted:

I was wondering something about archived LPs. If I, say, split up a single update into two posts due to length, will it be archived separately or on one page? A bunch of my updates have been a few thousand characters above forum post limit, so I opted to split them. Only just now had the presence of mind to ask about this.

I don't think baldurk merges posts, though I might be wrong. If you want to merge two posts I'd just copy the text of both into the testposter, change the update text to a link to the testposter page, and notify baldurk about that update when you submit your request. Though, I heard that baldurk can't scrape forums smilies from the testposter, so if the post contains any of those maybe don't do that.

e: also, if you ever want a handy trick to get your updates down within the character limit, you can actually delete everything between the lpix image number and the file extension (so, the image name) in your lpix image links.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually recommend doing that unless you need the space, for the record, because I find it really helpful for the image name to be in the link itself, especially if I have to go back and re-edit things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheMcD posted:

Do you not use an uploader like ShareX that can just give you a list of URLs after upload?

This is exactly what I do. Shift-click the first and last pictures and voila

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mix. posted:

i like doing it manually because its also how i check for typos or character dialogue boxes i might've missed :v: (I also have all the dialogue portraits pre-uploaded and in their own document with URLs for easy copy/pasting so usually I don't miss anything lol)

Friend, someone should really introduce you to FaceCopy

(I also used the "word doc fulla portrait image URLs" method for the entirety of the original P5 LP)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hahahaha. Update reserve. Hahahaha.

I almost never hold back an update, I finish that poo poo and immediately post it. I barely even look it over first. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Seems mostly fine from what I can tell, but it'd be nice if like half the image in the wide shots wasn't just black space. You can use batch actions in Photoshop or even just the batch crop utility in IrfanView to cut that stuff out pretty automatically.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd just censor that, assuming it's an sslp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm unfamiliar with Detention, but I LP'd Disco Elysium, which is also extremely political, with no real issues.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even if you don't plan on sending it to the archive (the archive maxes out at 900 pixels wide), those images are much too big to view comfortably. I would figure out what you need to be showing in each image and crop them down to the important information.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please sticky my threads so my loyal and devoted fans will harass me into updating more frequently

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ultrafilter posted:

IMO most people who write SSLPs write updates that are a little too long.

It's true, I do

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He had soundtrack uploads and they did a copyright pass

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like that the T-Rex is having fun on the raft too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The etiquette there is definitely a bit weird. If they haven't posted their LP in that thread making a post in their own thread to remind them to do so is probably the polite thing to do instead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mix. posted:

how do you successfully fight the urge to not pull the trigger on starting a new LP until you're close to the end of the one you already have going

because i made the mistake of starting the next one to have something to do as a break in between working on updates but now i just want to start that one too and do both :v:

if you're me, you mostly just don't

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

timg is also not supported by the archive, but yeah, it's annoying to click through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you need to do frequent crops and it's at all possible for the game you're LPing, I recommend making a batch crop script in Photoshop or what-have-you to automatically crop to specific screen regions. It was the only thing that made it possible for me to LP Disco Elysium, for instance.

For DE, I would do several prep steps because in addition to crops for the text boxes I would also have manual crops for wider shots. Take screenshots, batch crop to the text box, manually sort out of the original shots anything that doesn't include the text box for a manual crop later, manually crop those images, replace the redundant images from those by combining the folder with the one you exported the batch crop to (which is easy because the images have the same names so they're automatically replaced), and then a final batch resize/conversion to jpg. It sounds like a lot but it was fairly simple.