Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"These are artifacts I collected to help us restore our memories."

"Look at all this junk."

Erza, never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just saw that trailer and holy hell am I hyped. And no I see all the connections with Rogue One they were hinting at. Before, I was like "where is it?" and now I get (in hindsight, it was obvious) it was being saved for after Rogue One airs. There is so much cool poo poo they got brewing for the second half of this season, man. Obi-wan returns, trying to recruit the mandalorians, the birth of the rebel alliance, and the final showdown with Thrawn

Like, gently caress, this is going to be awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The loving Buck Rogers space suit that Erza wears is loving perfect and works so well for the feel of Star wars. Dark Troopers everywhere. A real deal dissection of nuCanon mandalorian culture.

gently caress, things are turning out so nicely for season 3 part 2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Clone Ward TV series is canon and he was in that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also all those Inquisitors which adds up to a whooole bunch of people running around with lightsabers who aren't aren't Jedi or Sith.

The Inquisitors aren't returning in Rebels anymore. I think they're kind of playing it by the ear on this one. They could all be dead or not, but they're not going to tell. Considering the Darth Vader comic, which is canon, never features them despite featuring some of Palpatine's backups for Darth Vader (none of which are force users) suggests that they're all dead by the end of a New Hope. But, it wouldn't be the first time Palptine lied about such things (see: Inquisitors and Emperor's Hand in Legends).

NTRabbit posted:

There's also the race of force empaths from the Mace Jar Jar buddy cop story on TCW, unless Palpatine went on and wiped them out after finishing off the Night Sisters.

I mean, they aren't Jedi. Jedi is a religious order with a particular belief system and actions. You can be a force sensitive, but being a Jedi requires a particular religious mindset. They're really trying to drive that home in nucannon.

Aphrodite posted:

And Snoke.

You mean Erza "Snoke" Bridgers? /s

thrawn527 posted:

"Luke, you are the last of the Jedi™."
*Jedi is a registered trademark of the Jedi Order, and is not intended to imply general force user.

Well, yeah. Jedi is a religion. So, saying you're the last Jedi means you're the last member of the religion. There were other force users, obliviously. The force is everywhere and in everything and its a big galaxy after all. Besides, Leia was also a force sensitive and he knew about her when he said that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe it was lovely writing.

StarWarsLore.Txt

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

There's no such thing as Jedi. Never have been. The Jedi, just...there's never been any such thing as Jedi. You think there used to be Jedi? That's just sad! Now, lets talk about the Death Star. We're going to make the YUUGEST, most luxurious space station. Of all time. Just the best. We're going to make this station, it's going to be great, people will think it's a small moon. We're going to build this station, and we're going to make the outer systems pay for it. They're going to pay for it.

Back to 'only Luke can defeat the Sith' talk: Obi-Wan always did seem to have a thing for prophesied 'great ones.' And it also ties in to the theory that Luke and Leia are his, not Anikin's. He made Vader, so it's up to him and his kid to fix things.

Really, we were five minutes away from Vader being on the Springer show, talking about how much he loves Padme and his kids, and he's sorry he lost his temper, and he's going to try harder, then Jerry says 'Well, Anikin, Padme has a surprise for you. Turns out, those kids aren't actually yours! Lets meet the real father!' And out comes Obi-Wan, dancing away, and looking smug, talking smack like 'Looks like you weren't the Chosen One....IN BED, BITCH!' Then Vader goes after him, and it's JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!

Yes, I was asking the Senate if they could pay for the Death Star. Yes, but, you got to see the picture here. This thing is bigly important. It's YUUGE! We need to front the cash then the outer systems will reimburse us. They're going to reimburse us! Don't let the lying crooked rebel media with their fake news trick you!

Covok
May 27, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I dunno,Rebels doesn't have any Wacky Jar-Jar Antics, or any FAAAAABULOUS Hutts,which edges it out for me.

Eh, Clone Wars made Jar-Jar tolerable and the fabulous hut appeared in like 3 episodes [spoiler]before being killed off.[/b]

Aphrodite posted:

Why would you build an inaccurate robot?!

We know for a fact they could build better robots from some stuff that showed up in the clone wars. But waging galactic war is a big deal. Someone estimated that it'd require around 12 Trillion battle droids to pull it off. At some point, you got to consider budget.

Covok
May 27, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

They couldn't have done that exposition earlier because the last couple seasons were All Ezra,All the Time. For some reason.
And also, the worst character is actually Ezra. For the reason I gave above.

Rebels would be better if season 1 and 2 were not all about Ezra and more time was given to the entire ghost crew, like season 3.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Not rebels, but...

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/823561256078548992

Covok
May 27, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is 100% what it's going to be. The Jedi and Sith destroyed each other down to the last man and now brand new space religions will take their places in the universe.

The diminishing importance of the Jedi in the new EU is hilarious, in a way. In the old EU, EVERYTHING was Jedi v. Sith at one point and everything was all about them. They were everywhere and did everything. As a reaction to that, the new EU is really slicing things down and making the Jedi and Sith just two religious groups where the former got a lot of political power for a long time until the later took power for a short time and then they wiped each other out. In a weird way, they are no longer this end-all, be-all, but just two religions that have a lot of power and now are just faint memories.

Covok
May 27, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

Wow, so how is that different from the end of ROTJ?

To be honest, not much. The only difference is the writers who follow-up won't make it all about Luke trying to restore the Jedi and instead about making a new way, possibly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Give me Revan or give me death :colbert:

A recently relased deleted scene from Clone Wars would have made Revan canon.

https://youtu.be/zSSyZifehf0

It's an animatic so it looks and sounds like poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dodged a bullet there. Good thing they remembered Sith can't be ghosts.

This was before NuCanon. Sith could be ghosts back then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Seems more likely to me.

Well, Fett's weakness is the blind.

Cad Bane has been confirmed for the Darth Maul prequel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

'Should have clarified that I meant comic. Ironically, person who told me about it also just said Prequel and I also jumped to thinking it was a movie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

The nostalgia goggles are quite strong with Kyle Katarn. Like I dig the dude, but how the heck do you square his many different personalities?

Probably the most fruitful is all the background with him being a former imperial agent, Jan Ors as a rebel spy, and him peacing out of the academy. But the show has told similar stories.

Gruff mercenary dude is fun, but I don't know if we need another one. Certainly would be better than Dash Rendar, though.

And the whole "ex-jedi who swears off force powers but not really" is basically Kanan's whole schtick.

I really, really, really don't get the love of Kyle, Dash, and, for that matter, Revan and Kreia. A lot of this likely has to do with the fact that I never played any of their video games. I just don't get why vg orginial characters are always so beloved by fans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Always a good time.

I just noticed that the guy on the right in the foreground has blaster earrings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

The imperial brass cracking down on the local authorities was a surprising turn. In particular my jaw dropped when the defecting minister was killed.

I mean, it's an empire. If it is to thrive, it has to keep all its bits and pieces in line

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I honestly think it's weird they made them posers rather than real Mandalorians. You have the most visible and popular members and they say "they're not really them". Maybe they wanted to get as far away from Legends as they could. In that, the Fetts are both Mandalore, which is funny becuase they run around as low ranking bounty hunters rather than the leaders of an entire culture. I wonder if they called them Mandalore the Absent.

Mandalore The Absent, his only weakness was blind luck

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

He was a Mandalorian weeaboo.

We don't get to hear Bobba talk a lot in the OT. Well, at least not on his own time. When he was off the job, he would often go to Mandaboo conventions where he would be the talk of the convention for his impressive cosplay of a Mandalorian soldier. He loved it when actual Mandalorian soldiers would attend so he could get parts of his armor signed by a true Mandalorian.

It's a little known fact he only turned to bounty hunting to afford the upkeep for his Mandalorian Armor cosplay and con going habits.

Like father, like son.

Covok
May 27, 2013

IronSaber posted:

My big question: will we get to see Dantooine, and will it look like KOTOR's grassland planet? Lothal was already our grassland/savannah biome planet, so I'm curious if they will change it up.

I don't see why they would. Keeping it as is makes a callback to Lothal and, honestly, it would be weird if they suddenly changed it to an ocean planet or a volcano planet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ShineDog posted:

I've seen some people pretty bewildered, Because the mentions of other cells and the appearance of things like a fairly formal seeming rank structure, uniforms, made it seem like the rebellion was pretty much under way. Even if it hadn't come together in one space, it was presented as being very definately a thing. But here is Mothma now making it even more formally a thing? OK.

I think that was just that General's cell. All of these groups have their own hierarchy and their own leaders. Mon Mothma just united them into one rank and one file.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

As a counterpoint to the bolded, Sabine's inner conflict in relation to her past has been referenced as far back as Season 1, when she got all *trust issues* on Hera in that episode with the abandoned Republic base. Even went as far to (vaguely) mention her sordid history with the Empire.

I definitely agree that the show could benefit from a tighter focus on characterization - the training episode is evidence enough of the benefits of that - but I can't really recall any unearned character moments, or at least, none that I haven't been able to justify in some manner.

Really am hoping that something comes from ambiguous-morals Ezra at some point, though.

I think Erza in the Darothmir episode pulled away from the Dark side. Like, I feel that was the entire point of the episode. You could argue they didn't do much with it, but I think that came from them deciding to put the focus on Sabine and a few others this season. It does come a bit unfocused, in hindsight, but I wonder how much of that came from being told they needed to do some Rogue One tying and if that ended up delaying episode writing. To elaborate, animation takes a long time and you need scripts in early. With the Rogue One rewrites and reshoots and the such, I wonder if that delayed their writing so they made more filler episodes than normal to buy time, episodes totally disconnected so they couldn't step on their tie-in shoes, so to speak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am glad I am not the only person in this thread whose worked security at some rear end-end little place and couldn't give less of a poo poo what happened to it as long as the checks came in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, Maul is, essentially, a well-spoken thug who failed at everything he tried then died in the middle of nowhere with only his rival, who had far surpassed him in every category, to comfort him in his final moments?

drat, Filoni, his writing staff, and Sam Witwer did an amazing job turning Darth Maul from a villain with only two lines into one of my favorite EU villains of nucanon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

DancinBrud posted:

To be fair, he did create a vast criminal syndicate on a whim one day before lunch. It's just that his old boss couldn't stand to see him succeed.

Getting crushed by a competitor is a form of failing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Ah but did you miss how at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon, Mace Windu does massive damage to Grievous which explains why he's such a bitch in episode 3?

I almost have to wonder if that happened because he actually saw Grevious in the films and went "oh poo poo, this is a mismatch in expectations if I've ever seen one. Welp, got to unfuck this."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Elentor posted:

So what you guys are saying is that the Death Star planet-destroying laser is inherently light-side.

It was before the Sith corrupted it. I mean, couldn't the same be said of all Force Sensistives in NuCannon? Since we've yet to hear of any species in NuCannon with natural affinities to the Dark Side?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I wish I knew what the code is for the emoticon holdings its head up with its hands with glee because I am so hype for this.

:allears: Those spacesuits are 50s as gently caress and I love it!

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

That also works. But, no, I'm thinking of a different one.

No, not that one either. Also, why is its code neckbeard?

There's the one I wanted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Who would have thought force storms would become canon again?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hope so, if only because he's been the best antagonist on the series thus far and his continued presence will make EU-hating goons irrationally angry. I wonder if we might see the Emperor now that the rebel cells are organizing and forming what will become the Alliance.

I don't get people who hate the EU and watch Rebels as Rebels is literally the EU! It's like eating a plate of snack food when you aren't hungry and just going, with every bite, "oh, this is so awful! God, why am I eating this?" I don't like the idea of the super weapon of the week cycle the New Jedi Order books got stuck in so I don't read them. Doesn't mean they aren't dumb, most likely, and doesn't mean they don't have flaws, most likely, but it also doesn't involve me wasting my time consuming them and gettng mad over it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

galagazombie posted:

God I hope not. I'm so sick of everything these day's having to be about how the good guys are just as bad as the villians and how taking a stand is a bad thing. I really liked it when Kanan called out the Bendu for being a coward who let evil happen to others so he could feel smug. The central pillar of Star Wars is the Jedi as these big mythological heroes. Whats the point to the story otherwise?

I'm with you there, to a degree. I really didn't like Kreia's B.S. in KOTOR II for the same reason, even more so when I found out the behind-the-scenes reasons for the character.

I think a thing to remember, though, is that the prequels were trying to get across that the Jedi had lost their way. It isn't that being a Jedi is bad or that good and evil are the same or that smug inaction is good, it's that the Jedi became too obsessed with politics to the extent they allowed themselves to become soldiers and were too distant from the population that they knew little of the actual concerns of people. The Jedi were, after all, extremely privileged under the Republic with political leniency (they had their own courts and were protected from normal prosecution, unless the council waived it), currency (most of the galaxy lives in poverty while they lived in luxury: yes, they had a charitable works core/humanitarian efforts core, but they had forgotten the monk lifestyle to a degree), and political power (the previous chancellor often trusted their advice above all others and this was implied not to be uncommon). Their very system of recruitment was designed to ensure members knew little to nothing of the struggles of the common man and it showed.

Hell, they even refused to hunt down the Sith after Darth Maul attacked and killed Qui Gon Jin because they were arrogant and couldn't believe the sith could operate under their nose. They became soldiers in a war where millions of individuals were being bred and sent to slaughter with no choice in the matter without speaking out.

They had lost their way and had become an upper class that preserved a corrupt status quo.

It isn't that good and bad are the same, it's that the Jedi needed to rediscover themselves, which is what Luke's journey and, presumably, what Luke and Rey's journey will be as well. Even if they end up renaming themselves (considering the newest movie will be called he Last JedI), they needed to be reborn in fire to return to their roots. It's what Qui Gon Jin was pointing out, it's what Ashoka was pointing out, it's what Yoda and Obi-Wan to a degree realized over their exile: the Jedi needed to be reborn.

I think even George Lucas in an interview somewhere wanted people to take that away from the Prequels: that the Jedi could only be so effectively conquered if they had already allowed themselves to be corrupted and weakened from within.

Covok
May 27, 2013

tsob posted:

What was the behind-the-scenes the scenes reason out of interest? Not that I ever played KOTOR II to he familiar with her, but still curious since I've heard a bit about her and remember enjoying KOTOR I.

From what I heard, one of the game's lead writers preferred harder science fiction and didn't really like the fantasy and objective morality aspects of Star Wars. When his company picked up the project of doing a sequel to KOTOR I, he decided to subvert and have a character mock those elements as a criticism of Star Wars and its writing. At least, that's how I heard it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

To be honest, the writing in Kotor I was fairly shallow and simple in my opinion. Kotor II is much more complex on all levels, for good and bad.

From my understanding, it was more Star Wars' writing in general, not just KOTOR I.

Covok
May 27, 2013

There was setup for the next season: they're going to Yavin IV to join the rest of the Rebel alliance.

This just dawned on me: they need to get them out of Yavin ASAP. It would be majorly stupid if they were on Yavin during the Deathstar thing and didn't help out so, for canon's sake, they need to vacate asap.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn I saw that the end of Rogue One and the start of ANH is a matter of hours.

How I see it is that the Ghost was chosen to take Mon Mothma and others to a safe place so that if the rebel base is destroyed, it's leadership is not lost. Dodonna probably volunteered to stay behind and command the defense. That's my No Prize answer for why no Mon Mothma on Yavin.

To be frank, might be less than a matter of hours. I mean, it literally goes Rogue One --> Leia gets away...and then is immediately caught --> A New Hope. I wouldn't be shocked if it was just a half and hour or so between the films. It is one of the most literal prequels I've ever seen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mllaneza posted:

They should be heading for Dantooine. A rally point already established in S3, and there's an on-camera line about there being an abandoned rebel base there. Gavin IV will prove to be a better choice for some reason and they relocate there, but it's off to Dantooine next.

Didn't they specifically say they were heading to Yavin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Sir Rebel ships coming out of Hyperspace.

Identify!

Sir, it's the Recreation Comission and the Office of Budget.

Sir, more are coming in! They appear to be the, uh, Department of Agriculture and the Department of Parks and Recreation.

• Locked thread