Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

tin can made man posted:

The lore around Boba Fett and the Mandalorians is complex, self-contradictory, and has been revised numerous times over decades, even before the Disney purchase. Here's what I have in my head, but it's by no means 100% accurate or comprehensive:

Yea, and don't forget you had Karen Traviss writing them as they were the super bestest at everything everywhere anytime but they were all farmers and cared about the land, but also built the best ships in the galaxy and all kinds of dumb poo poo.

I felt after 300 came out, there was an underlying attempt to make them feel more like Spartans, but that may have just been me. I actually prefer the current incarnation of the Mandalorians over any previous one. I love the idea that their culture being so war like finally led the entire planet to ruin and the survivors were all "gently caress this we just want to live" and banished the douchebags who still wanted to fight.

I also really liked the doomed love between Satine and Obi-Wan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was a good episode

But Oh know, Kallus :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I expect that Thrawn will catch Kallus in the act, and then use him as bait to draw the Rebels out because he knows that they're not going to let one of their own be executed when they think they have a chance of rescuing them. Though something will happen that Thrawn didn't anticipate, like another Imperial was a Rebel Agent, or didn't account for Sabine and her family showing up or something else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the most likely outcome is Thrawn feeding Kallus false info and then completely blindsiding the Rebellion, making him look like a triple agent.

That was my other choice, it depends on how they want to end the season. I'd rather see Kallus become a full rebel that the Ghost crew interacts with on a regular basis, but a heroic death would work too.

And yea, Thrawn is certainly someone that would notice that in his map of 92 planets, Dog Doo 8 was replaced by Cat Puke 9.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheCenturion posted:

I also liked that Thrawn's SD was identified as the Chimera, and the two lizards on the artwork behind his desk are probably references to Ysalimiri.

There's some talk that Wulf is an analog of Pellereon.

BTW, Chopper is a login reward for Galaxy of Heroes this month.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I see it like this.

Before this episode all the rebel cells operated independently, with only broad support among each other. From now on, things will be more organized, resources will be pooled and operations will be carefully planned and executed as to strike at the Empire and minimize damage to either the Rebels or civilians. By the time Rogue One happens, the Rebels have organized into a proper fighting force with a command structure and a well organized and trained fighting force.

One of Gold Squadrons pilots remarks that some of the Ghosts actions have actually caused problems for other cells.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can certainly see the Battle of Scarif depleting the Fleet that was at Yavin so that's why there was just fighters, and lots of ground troops.

Also, didn't the destruction of the first Death Star bring in a lot more support to the rebels? By destroying the ulimate symbol of Imperial power, it showed that the Rebels were more than they seemed, and may have a chance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I found out people didn't like the brief musical scene, and I wonder what it is like to live without joy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gennedy Tartarkovski made General Grievous an unstoppable Jedi-killing motherfucker. Boy was that a disappointment when Episode 3 came out afterwards.

Ah but did you miss how at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon, Mace Windu does massive damage to Grievous which explains why he's such a bitch in episode 3?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked the Bendu stuff. It actually felt very KOTOR 2-ish in that, no, the Force is actually neutral and the good/evil poo poo is just something the jedi/sith use as an excuse to fight each other constantly.

That's one of the theories about Episode 8, Luke has realized the Jedi failed because they were exclusively Light Side and by going either purely one or the other causes problems. The reason it's called The Last Jedi is that Luke will train Rey to be something other than a Jedi.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And the theory isn't saying that Luke and Rey and future force users would be going around being like Synder Batman or something, it's more letting yourself open to more aspects to the force than just one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the later EU books, following the Prequels release, had one of the New Jedi remarking that because the Jedi forbade love and other basic emotions that tied them to the people they were supposed to be protecting, it weakened them by making them an elite class that believed that they were working for the greater good but without that connection to people, either through family or romantic partners, they has no real connections.

I wonder if season 4 is going to be based out of Yavin, with the Ghost Crew being more into recruiting than earlier seasons. The Star Wars Explained guy mentioned how he expects to see Cassian and K-2s0 in season 4, but I'd also expect to see Krennick, Madine, Akbar and other characters we saw from the original trilogy. Though I've seen some people speculate about Han Solo, but A) There's a movie that's going to detail his early life and B) it was pretty clear he stayed far away from the conflict. I've also seen other popular EU characters being tossed around in theories, like Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Corran Horne, and of course Kyle and Dash. Mara seems way too much of a long shot, because her role was basically the Inquisitors role.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do will still need spoilers?

Anyways, I assume the Intredictors are pretty new and rare so having 2 is actually a huge thing.

But yea seeing what it's like to be on a receiving end of an orbital bombardment shows how terrifying it would be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could have sworn I saw that the end of Rogue One and the start of ANH is a matter of hours.

How I see it is that the Ghost was chosen to take Mon Mothma and others to a safe place so that if the rebel base is destroyed, it's leadership is not lost. Dodonna probably volunteered to stay behind and command the defense. That's my No Prize answer for why no Mon Mothma on Yavin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IronSaber posted:

"She's built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro!"

Dammit I was going to say that.

"Sir we have Imperial Ships coming out of Hyperspace....It's Trump Tower!"
"Launch all Fighters!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Covok posted:

"Sir, they are deploying their shields!"

"Get the EMP devices ready."

"No, sir, it's...a concrete wall!"

I'm imagining all the faceless Imperial Officers's caps replaced by MAGA hats now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Kylo does not get redeemed. It would be nice to see someone beyond redemption out of choice for once.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's another today near the end of today as well

Also, I don't know if anyone cares but here's the Last Jedi trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been watching Star Wars Explained and his reviews of the new canon novels make me interested in checking them out. How are they in general, and is Lost Stars the first one?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Twin Suns is one of my top 5 episodes of the series.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

teagone posted:

Someone in the CineD Star Wars thread said Rebels is the worst Star Wars. I almost got triggered.

Someone in CinD once told me The Trueman Show was better than Fargo. They are beyond hope.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot about that scene, the little tink is hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TARDISman posted:

Not Talzin, The Mother of the family from the Mortis arc, in Legends she was essentially was a Dark Side Lovecraft monster except not that great. Hopefully she's different this time.

She made all the Jedi kids think everyone around them was imposters in some of the most annoying plot threads I've read in Star Wars novels, and I read A LOT of those.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am surprised that there are people who still don't have Shbobdb on ignore.

You know who I'd love to see show up on Rebels? Dr Aphra. She's great in the comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VolticSurge posted:

I just want Triple-Zero to show up. His interactions with Chopper would be the stuff of legend. Especially if he's voiced by Creepio.

Yep, that would be amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cross-Section posted:

The new comics range from "fine, but a bit forgettable" to "loving great" with the majority of them unfortunately massing towards the former category.

To get into specifics:

- Star Wars (Ongoing): Totally passable and worth a read, but not terribly memorable outside of the "Obi-Wan's Journal" side issues and that bit where the whole main cast got lightsabers and went ham with them

- Darth Vader: Mon-Cala-Grievous is a standout Dumb Thing for sure, but like Grievous himself, the whole point of his character is to be a inferior shadow of Vader himself, and is pretty much treated as such in the comic. Regardless, it's insane how they managed to make Vader/Aphra/Creepio/ArDIE work in a way that adds narrative depth to everyone involved.

- Chewbacca: Harmless little miniseries about a rebellious girl and her reluctant dog-person friend. Good art.

- Han Solo: HOLY poo poo THIS ART and the story's a little rote but HOLY poo poo THIS ART

- Princess Leia: Is profoundly boring. :sigh:

- Doctor Aphra: Is basically Indiana Jones in Space, right down to the ancient religions, rival-esque antagonists, and daddy issues . So far, a fun read.

- Shattered Empire: A decent epilogue to RotJ. Come for Poe's parents (don't actually come for Poe's parents), stay for the possible The Last Jedi foreshadowing.

- Lando: The premise is "Lando and his buddies accidentally steal the Emperor's ride". It delivers. :allears:

- Obi-Wan and Anakin: Come for the TCW-style salvaging of Anakin's character, stay for the wait I already did this bit

- Kanan - The Last Padawan: It's fine, I mainly remember this one for people losing their poo poo when it and a then-new episode of Rebels synced up and featured the same recurring character.

- Poe Dameron: Best currently-running comic at the moment. NAILS the dialogue in regards to Poe, I can practically hear Oscar Isaac whenever I read it. Is beginning to stretch it a bit with the whole "finding Lor San Dekka" plot arc.

Yea, I've not read as much as I'd like to, but this has been my experience as well. And the whole idea of Aphra running around looking for artifacts and other places she shouldn't be would work well with a Rebels episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will buy the comic that feature Rex leading the team while the Main Characters are having their own adventures.

And I can certainly see Inferno Squadron not being called in until things look like they're about to go pear shaped, because the Empire was always over confident.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AndyElusive posted:

As per one of the first trailers Inferno Squadron were essentially standing around in time to look up and see the Death Star explode.

By that time the Ewoks had ambushed the Imperials, the Rebels had lured the remaining garrison out of the bunker and subsequently destroyed the shield generator and the Alliance Armada caused the Executor to crash nose first into the surface of the Death Star.

Yea and by that point Palpatine was dead, and even before that he was too focused on turning Luke to the dark side to probably order them into action. Probably one of the Grand Admirals were responsible.

It's still early to wonder what exactly is going on with Inferno Squadon on Endor, when the game comes out or at least closer to release we'll probably learn exactly what was going on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw some more realistic Rebels art today and I never thought of Sabine being asian, but I guess that makes sense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It was in a youtube video but i'm sure I can find the image

Well, everyone but Zeb is realistic.

NTRabbit posted:

I always thought she was, seemed like a conscious decision they'd made by the shape of her eyes, and some other features

It's just never something I thought about, mostly because of the art style. Even thought Sato is very clearly Asian.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jng2058 posted:

Eh, seems odd to me that they'd make a big deal about "your Jedi friend" if Ezra and Kanan were right there and available. I mean, sure, they could be away on Jedi business (maybe the spirit quest thingy with the wolves or something?) but equally it could be that they're both dead or disabled by the time Rogue One happens.

The assumption is that Bail was talking about Obi-Wan, which is why Leia is headed there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Krennick being mentioned makes me think we might see him in this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cross-Section posted:

Sadly not gonna happen, according to this EW interview:

That's too bad. I really enjoyed Rogue one and wanted to see more of its characters. Saw's crew isn't the same thing. I'm going to assume that Cassian and K-2S0 aren't going to show up either.

I like how the Empire is being shown to be more like Nazi Germany than just dressing snazzy and oppressing anyone who isn't a white human, they're also having its desingers and industry compeating for funds for their crazy projects. The best thing is the Death Star is a complete turkey and its resources could have been better used to make SSDS, regular SDs and Defenders. But the Death Star is such a perfect symbol of what Palpatine wants to project. Massive Overwhelming power.

Historical Context, the Panzer IV and Panther were more than good enough to deal with Allied and Soviet tanks if they had kept developing them to iron out all the kinks, but Hitler loved big rear end tanks so he forcused resources into Tigers and KonigsTigers rather than perfecting the already good tanks. Not to mention the Maus tank.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 4, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want either something to build on the New Canons verison of Knights of the Old Republic. While it still would feature Sith vs Jedi, it would spare them from just running side stories for Saga characters.

That or what is probably more likely, something that takes place between RotJ and TFA. Though at the same time, there's a lot of books dealing with that.

I am as old as A New Hope for the record.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

drunkill posted:

Snoke is 3 porgs in a trenchcoat.

Snoke Adultman

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was playing Galaxy of Heroes Palpatine event, and my team consisted of Hera, Zeb, Kanaan, K-2S0 and Cassian, and yea, I could totally see that as a strike force to take down Palpatine. Ezra, Chopper and Sabine are ready to get everyone away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's going to be another Thrawn book, so they're speculating that he won't die in season 4.

Though that's assuming the new book isn't a prequel to the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This comes back monday at 4am or something?

• Locked thread