Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Jastiger posted:

Speedball are you serious? Easy is hard?

The game's two difficulty levels are Very Easy and Easy. It's a joke on how some games have Normal and Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Remember that as cultist you can sell the free units you get to the mercenary market.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess it's just a matter of strategy to time your discoveries and production allocations so that you can always be doing something useful with them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Do people really think fleet bypassing is a bug though? Maybe it's a new way of doing things they are trying out - so that you have to keep defenses one system out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not really seeing the difference between traits and affinity here. Like in MOO 2 lithovore and creative were both traits and you could potentially have both.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

When a hero gets the apex 'winter immunity' skill, does that also apply to output from the city where they are governor?

Yes, that's the main use for it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Amplitude was interviewed in the latest Three Moves Ahead podcast.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/amplitude-studios-and-the-endless-series

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I really liked the original, it was like a true follow up to Master of Orion 2. Then they decided to recreate MOO 3 for some reason.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You know, this is where the whole lore kinda falls apart a bit. It's okay having dust be basically currency... But then how does trade generate it? I mean if it was fiat money, or we could just change the value of dust that would be fine, but dust is an actual substance that needs to be mined. It shouldn't just appear because you are real good at trading.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To whom? Who's got this much dust just sitting around?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Avasculous posted:

I'm a huge fan of MOO2 and tried repeatedly to get into Sword of the Stars without success. I'm sure it's a great game if you put the work into circumventing the painful UI and figuring out what the gently caress is going on, but I couldn't do it.

It's not easy to learn for sure, but I didn't think it was that bad.

quote:

You know fiat currency is not all that old, right?

That's a debatable point, but what I meant is that dust acts like fiat money in that you can create it through government policy and able administrators, but the lore has it as a physical object with a set intrinsic value.

Historically you can't set an empire plan and get more gold, you had to either mine it or invade someone and take it off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Espionage is on paper interesting in strategy games because it's a method of interacting with the game that does not 'clean up' the board and make things more boring the better you are at it. That's why I assume it's appealing to designers.