Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tulip posted:

One thing I really like about EL and ES that makes the Cravers and Necrophage stand out is that they don't just have war and peace, but also cold war, which allows limited hostilities and is the status quo. Cravers and Necrophage can never have true peace, but they can get things down to a cold war.

Yeah, it's nice that there's a buffer state between agreeable peace and all-out war. How EL handles cold war is interesting too. In neutral or home territory, you can engage in hostilities without much repercussion because they're on your turf (or in a place they have no claim on).

The new Mograwr faction looks pretty interesting in EL's Tempest update. They can make Minor Faction villages un-pacified again and mind control minor faction armies to harass the enemy, or put a curse on an enemy empire so anyone can attack them without repercussion and get dust for killing their units. It's nice that the aquatic faction has more tricks up their sleeve than JUST "is good at sea combat" which is where Civilization: Beyond Earth's sea-going faction's uniqueness ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I have 98 hours in Dungeon of the Endless and have yet to beat it a single time. It is a good game but rock hard. I refuse to play on very easy because it is beneath me.

Hah. You know that the game's so-called "Easy" mode is really its hard mode and it's just the developers mocking you with a label? (though there's a module that makes things even harder)

It's a pretty drat good game, though. It's satisfying in a lot of ways I can't ennumerate.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Cultists in EL were a fan-submission, if I recall correctly. A pretty badass one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This company is literally one of my favorites even though Endless Space isn't that great of a game. Luckily the other ones are so good, it doesn't matter.

They were learning the ropes with ES. EL was a huge huge huge improvement.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If they bring Harmony back, I'd like one major change to them. The ability to rush construction. Since they don't use dust, you could rush it some other way, like by sacrificing population or something.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh, apparently I missed a whole xpac for EL, how is Shifters? The Allayi look pretty cool, but how about the other new features?

Hopefully it'll go on sale when the new xpac comes out.

Shifters and the Allayi are really good. The Allayi are an interesting mix of exploration and city management. Their cities grow slowly and they get double expansion disapproval, , but all their districts are special and produce huge amounts of FIDS, so they're a quality over quantity race. They are better at scooping up pearls from the land (special gems that appear during winter now) and one of their units is a flying manta ray that just sucks resources out of the ground when parked over a deposit, even in unclaimed territory. Plus all their units shift from defensive during summer to offensive during winter.

For non Allayi races, the pearls can be used to craft rare items or build special buildings. You can also spend pearls to try to control which bad effect the next winter will bring.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Frankly, I'm more hype about EL's new expansion. The seas are like the #1 gap to fill in that game.

Yeah, water was just an obstacle before, you didn't even have rudimentary sea combat. This could be one of the most substantial updates yet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Cravers, same as in ES1.

How is their devouring gimmick this time around? In ES1 they would get bonus FIDS for a certain number of turns, but over time a planet would get devoured-out and they'd need to continue to exploit more.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think they were always supposed to be cyborg insectoids but it's a bit clearer now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually wouldn't be surprised to see Harmony back

I kinda hope they are back, just balanced slightly differently so their early game is less of a slog.

EDIT: I never noticed, in that Craver picture, he's pulling one person out of the pit with one arm while two other arms are holding an assault rifle and pointing it at them. Nice.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 21, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

frajaq posted:

So any pointers at how to play as Cultists in Endless Legend? I like the idea behind them a lot, but the Only One City thing makes them weird to play, also not starting with actual soldier units...

Cultists are not much of a "sit back and wait" faction. They work best if you're aggressive.

Cultists have one major way to overcome the weaknesses of having one city: lots of brainwashing. Convert as many Minor Faction villages as humanly possible (you'll need to generate a lot of influence to do so) and you'll soon be rolling in resources.

Those brainwashed villages will produce lots of free conscripts that you can't equip or upgrade, so the best use for them is to either research the Mercenary Market to sell them off for cash, or to use as many of them as possible as a huge fuckoff swarm army to annihilate your foes. Cultists are pretty good at momentum conquest this way.

Cultist heroes have a lot of racial abilities that are very good for both their combat style and their city management. Their "everyone attacks harder in my army" or "everyone has more health" abilities go a way to upgrading all the un-up-gradeable troops, and all their other racial skills are really really good at maximizing the FIDS output of a high-population city. Cultist heroes are also all pretty tough in combat so even though you only start off with two preacher support units, you can have your hero do most of the fighting during the battles.

Research the techs that let you assimilate up to three Minor Factions (any village you've converted works) and you will be able to build lots of upgradeable units as well as reap the benefits of having five or six villages of a single minor faction, which boosts whatever bonus they provide through the roof.

Since you only have one city, the influence cost of the Empire Plan will be relatively low, so you can max it out. Some of the policies you unlock give you big bonuses to attack and movement speed of your armies, all of which will help improve the output of your brainwashed conscripts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

I have an Endless confession to make.

The Forgotten are my favorite faction :ohdear:

They have their uses, they're just so different from everyone else you need to unlearn a lot of habits.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There are so many ways that de-pacifying villages could be used to gently caress with your enemies. I love it, it's a form of subterfuge we haven't had access to before.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

Do you have tons of cash? Assign the hero as governor of brand new city and buy every possible building in it

There's also a couple of luxury resources, one in particular doubles hero XP. And, of course, make sure you have a massive garrison filled with as many units as possible because that's how you grind up XP the slow way for heroes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The other thing is that a lot of Era 1 techs are really really useful while later ones are more specialized. You don't have enough science or time to get *everything* but you can do well to get a lot of early stuff.

I usually don't go for the Pillaging tech that was added in Shadows, but I went for it during a recent Necrophage game, when I wanted to take out some pacified villages a bigger empire had and get myself some resources in the bargain. The pillaging tech also lets you add camoflage-while-in-trees accessories for your armies, but I've never actually tried that out. The spyglass that lets you detect invisible enemies would probably be pretty useful against Forgotten.

Tulip posted:

So I'm fairly seriously considering doing an LP of EL (there's technically an ongoing LP, but it hasn't had a post since July).

*cough* Sorry.... I was gonna start it up again once I started feeling better, then we got the news of the next expansion coming out...

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 5, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've seen the intro movie for the Morgawr. It's not narrated by them, it's narrated by some guy in an old recording, talking about how he confined them to an undersea lab facility, and wondering how bad it would be for Auriga if they ever escaped. The animations show them, indeed, escaping. I like it.

The quest dialogue for them is weird too. They seem to have even more of a hive mind than the Necrophages, but rather than seeing everything else as food, they just see everything else as something they hate.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Are Vodyani at all related to the Broken Lords, technology-wise? They seem to sustain themselves using Endless technology in a similar way.

EDIT: So, looks like how Tempest works is pretty different to how Civ: Beyond Earth handled sea expansion. It's just several atolls per ocean zone, each of which may produce a several resources surrounding it as long as you control it. Not exactly cities, but definitely control points that make life easier for your land cities and such by providing resources.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 7, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Avasculous posted:

Actually, that's kind of a running theme for EL races.

The Vaulters' questline is to build a ship, the Cult mentions taking their crusade beyond Auriga, the Necrophages say that when they've eaten everything on Auriga, they'll "look to the stars, still hungry", etc.

Yeah, they all have ambitions bigger than the world they're on. Which is good, since everyone knows the world is going to freeze to death.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Tempest is enabled for me.

Morgawr seem REALLY weak on the land; their only unit is a support unit, to start. So it seems like assimilating at least one good land-based Minor Faction is how you want to roll with them as far as land units.

Catspaw doesn't require you to have a unit near the barbarians. You just need to have vision on it somewhere and click on it and take 'em over. Interesting. Could be really good for messing with the enemy. Only problem is, Catspawed units cost a LOT of financial upkeep.

Looks like you really want to make sure your sea units are equipped with the "Fomorian Slayer" capacity too.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 13, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

With Vores and Leviathans, is there any reason to build the generic sea units like the boarding ship?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

I am playing a game of Endless Legend as the Wild Walkers, finally.

I have a quest that says go to these ruins with 4 ranged units and 2 minor faction units. Can I use 2 from the same faction, or do I need 2 different ones?

same, I believe. So just assimilate one faction and put two Sisters of Mercy in the army or something.

Heck I think even mercenaries work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Onean posted:

You always lost all of your movement when moving into and out of water, though I'm not sure if the expansion changes that.

The Morgawr definitely don't lose all their movement going in and out of water, maybe they're the exception.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That'd be an interesting challenge. A land-locked Morgawr game would still benefit from rivers and lakes, but they'd have to rely heavily upon assimilated troops for their ground forces. They'd still have their Black Spot ability and Catspaw, so they could probably mess up enemies that way. You'd have to get creative, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, this new patch seems to have made the game pretty drat unstable. It keeps crashing, I've had like five or six crashes to desktop. Maybe it's an OSX thing.

EDIT: And a new tiny patch downloaded, hope it fixes it.

This game is still drat gorgeous, though.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahaha, one of the first fortresses I got in this game was something that produced industry stockpiles regularly. Just blasted straight through the first two Legendary Buildings and am well on the way to the third.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yup. So it's pearl towers or bust for them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, the thing that keeps getting me is goddamn Fomorian boats appearing out of nowhere to kill my fortresses. You really need to garrison every one of them or you run the risk of losing them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The giant rock monster guardian is my favorite. That guy one-shots entire armies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Forer posted:

So wait, doesn't that mean the optimal way to get diplomatic points is every turn call someone an rear end in a top hat, their country is crap, they are crap and awful!

Also you should ally with me because yeah!

Maximize the spending of alliance with insults I mean.

Nah, insulting Declarations don't count towards your Peace Points. Beneficial compliments do count, though.

Also, the game doesn't mention it much, but if you're allied with another nation against a third, killing units of that third empire grants you more Influence automatically. Useful.

One of the best ways to get ahead as the Drakken is to work on unlocking all those assimilation slots early so you have tons of micro-benefits for having friendly monster villages. (This also works CRAZY good for the Cultists.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Raphus C posted:

Forgotten have weak units so punch them in the face.

Have to find them first! :haw:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love that effortpost. Could we put a big link to that in the OP?

The Forgotten racial skill that makes forests pay out Dust is also pretty great. You're getting food, industry and dust all from the same tiles.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It chugs more for me too. I think all the water and storm effects are a bit much on my old computer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty essential for keeping your economy from bottoming out as the winters get worse and worse.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I picked up Endless Legend while it was on sale, and does anyone have a good beginner's guide? I'm muddling along decently well as the Ardent Mages, but I'm unclear what I should be doing to make the most of things. I have Drakken and Vaulters for neighbors and both have been chill so far.

There should be a few effortposts in this very thread linked in the OP but the basics are:

1. Unlike Civ, you can't research everything. Even older techs get more expensive as you keep researching stuff. So prioritize. Also older-tier stuff tends to be more essential while later-tier stuff is more specialized.

2. Pursue your Main Faction quest to the best of your ability. It usually unlocks special nice stuff for you and is one of the paths to the ending of the game. Two, in fact. (The Wonder Ending requires you to build this gigantic thing that takes a buttload of production and time to finish, but once it's done, you win instantly, while the Quest ending requires a lot of running around to gather spaceship parts to get the hell off the planet).

3. Every faction is balanced by having one thing they do way, way better than everyone else. Wild Walkers are great at building stuff, etc. But you can tap into the strengths of other factions by buying heroes of other races; their racial abilities are pretty powerful either as battlefield generals or governors of a city. Get the Mercenary Market tech early on so you can buy heroes. Oh, and generally speaking, Cultist heroes make the BEST governors overall since they're geared towards maxing the productivity of a single, high-population city.

4. Heroes level up faster the more units they have under their command, they get XP per turn based on their minions. In a large formation as an army, or as a bunch of units in a garrison of the city they're a governor of. (Also, general heroes level up by killing stuff and searching ruins, and governor heroes level up by building stuff). The most important skill a hero can have is at the top center of the skill tree; it's called Cold Operator and winter-proofs their army/city, which is IMPORTANT since winter cripples armies and cities.

5. Approval. Unlike Civ 5, happiness is sort of a mix of global and local. Individual cities' Approval affects their Food and Industry, and the average happiness of your empire determines bonus Science and Dust. Approval goes down whenever you expand or overpopulate, but there are three ways to buff it up. One is by building districts so that one is next to three others; the negative approval for expansion starts turning positive. Another is by researching and building approval-boosting buildings like sewers and city markets; these are nice because they have bonus effects that kick in if your approval is already high, so they're never redundant. The third is luxury resources:

6. Luxury resources! Unlike Civ, you collect specific amounts of them per turn based on your extractors (or as lucky finds in quests and stuff) and you then manually click on them in the empire screen to burn them on a temporary boost. They all have different effects, but the collective one they all have is boosting approval. The more cities you have, the more luxuries you need to burn for a boost.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 28, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There was one time I caught the AI buying lots of mercenaries and I decided that was too dangerous for my taste, so I cut them out of the market.

Also note that when playing as Cultists, you can sell off the extra minions you get in the converted villages.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stabbatical posted:

Same here, except I've been playing as the Wind Walkers first. The game is very good so far, but I do wish that it had more of a tutorial and a Civilopedia that I could actually read in game. Otherwise, I'm really liking it. The type of battle system EL uses is very novel (to me) for a 4X game and it's a refreshing change from Civ V. Likewise with the claiming of different regions with cities.

Thanks for the tips, Speedball. One of the things the tutorial didn't make clear to me was that I'm actually meant to be following the main faction quest. I've been playing it too Civ-ly so far and trying to make cities, build armies, and get loads of techs. I may start a new game with that in mind. How worthwhile are trying to build the legendary buildings or do the era tasks? Also, how do I increase my Influence points? The AI's diplomacy screens say they all have thousands of them but I keep finding myself at the times when it's time to make empire plans and I can't get enough to do anything with it. I've not been spending them, they're just accumulating really slowly.

Anytime.

Oh, early on, the best way to get more influence points is manually, by making citizens in your cities assigned to the purple influence slot. You can't mine it out of the ground like science or food. With exceptions. There are some buildings later in the game that let you generate it based on the number of districts you have too. Having workers grinding out influence is VERY key if you want to go around brainwashing villages as the Cultists.

One of the exceptions is the Drakken faction. If a city is next to one of those Ancient Ruins, it generates a fairly good amount of Influence per turn for them (downside is you can't build OVER them). The Drakken's Empire Plan opens up one level higher than everyone else's, so they can use it to tweak their factional needs. In general the Drakken are one of the more flexible factions in the game, since there's more than one way for them to burn their influence.

Another tip I forgot: ASSIMILATION! When you pacify villages (or brainwash them as the Cult) you can make one minor faction part of your empire. This gives you a bonus based on how many of that minor faction's villages you have, and also lets you build their units. This is really important if you have a strategic hole in your army's composition. For example, the Aquamen are crappy on land, and the Forsaken's units are based around agility rather than raw strength.

Oh, and EVERY time you reach a new tech era: click on that fist icon and upgrade all your units' weapons to the next tier. It'll cost some dust to upgrade existing units, but it's worth it. Everyone else will be upgrading their units and yours will fall behind if you don't keep their equipment up to spec. I prefer giving all my units the accessory that boosts movement speed since speed is invaluable, but it's up to you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

As the Ardent Mages, I assimilated the hydras immediately and never regretted it. Stopped building warlocks entirely, the hydras did a wonderful job manning the front lines while sorcerers annihilated everything. Not even sure what enequa wings do besides their respawn ability, hydras and sorcerers were a sufficient one-two punch to gut everything that crossed me.

Hydras are amazing. Huge, powerful, and they attack everything around them. In the kind of clusters most battles turn into these guys rip up enemies. Their assimilation bonus isn't half bad either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tanith posted:

I think I've got this sea monster thing down now.

Niiice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geldrius are pretty awesome considering they're naturally immune to winter. In combat they're nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Seriously, where is this drat city I need to conquer for the Vaulter quest? I exterminated the Necrophages on general principle with my deathstack of marines and daemons, and still haven't found it. I don't really want to go conquering all of Auriga looking for this one city.

Since I'm not at your computer I can't help you much, but...

Okay, does it say the city/territory name? Is there a little compass icon you can click on in the quest description to warp your quest location?

If neither of those are true, then trade for the maps with every faction you can. That ought to reveal most of the territory you haven't covered yet.