Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cynic Jester posted:

ES is a very flawed game on many levels in terms of gameplay, but holy poo poo did they do interface and interface interaction right. I can't think of a single 4X game up until that point with such a smooth and easy to navigate interface. Even 4Xs released today often fall short of what they did back when it released.

I love all of the interface design for the Endless games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jastiger posted:

Where are these"meet the races" videos?

On the Endless Space Youtube account. They've also got an overarching info-trailer from last week for the Early Access that I haven't seen posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3PQR_vS9M

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They were on Auriga long enough to forget who they were, so the may or may not be the Mezari if they're put in ES2.

Edit: Should have refreshed before posting, oops.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hey, here's a cool thing.

Check out the Endless Space website and watch the trailer. Move your mouse from side to side as you do it.

Also, there's something that feels really sinister going on in those...

Individual videos were also put up on YouTube: Vodyani Sophon

Edit: And the Visual Design contest for the community faction, the Unfallen, ended yesterday.

quote:

Ships: The vast Unfallen ships, with their twisted and gnarled appearance incorporate inorganic materials such as stone, metal and built structures throughout the living wood superstructure. Powered by large solar sails rather than conventional engines that serve both to sustain the living ship and push it through the void of space.

Civilian: "Unfallen posses 5 glowing eyes, a unifying feature among them. Their growth is limitless to some extent, while some prefer to remain small, tens of metres high; others will swell into immense beings hundreds of metres high with as many appendages, leg(s) and limbs as they see fit."

Military: "Many older and certainly larger Unfallen cloak themselves in a “mane of leaves” and develop natural clothing, serving as a symbol of status, appeal and role. They tend to fuse gems, ores, metals and parts of Endless ruins into their frame which lends both to aesthetic value and protective purposes."

The Narrative Design, and final, phase is under way now as well.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 6, 2016

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You always lost all of your movement when moving into and out of water, though I'm not sure if the expansion changes that.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I missed that part, but the line about meeting other peoples and turning them into patriots is really something. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

Edit: There's an Update 2 preview stream in a couple hours from this post, 5pm CET, so I imagine this is going to be a part of it in addition to whatever else they're planning for it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They've got it up on the beta channel on Steam, so you could opt into it there if you want. Otherwise, I'm not sure when it'll get pushed live. Maybe later this week?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If it's not out already, I'm guessing Update 2 for ES2 is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkgwKaQLpc

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You're getting a lot of unsure advice here, so let me add mine in as well. :v: They showed in the update overview video that somewhere, I think where you set up combat before it starts, you just drag and drop ships into whichever you want.

Megazver posted:

AFAIK there's basically no reason to even go into that mode, other than wanting to look at pretty spaceships.

For this and other scan modes they'll be adding and improving the information available, specifically with the next major update I believe. I think they're meant to provide a quick overview of information you can bring up, with what it's referencing depending on the screen you're on.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe this is the first we've heard for a release date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm6Flesu_Fk

May 19th.

Edit: Actually it was first mentioned about 3 weeks ago, I just missed it. :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Speaking of things to talk about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHLH_e12o0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGOCNWX7AA

Here's hoping for a launch/Unfallen update video sooner rather than later that goes more into them and how they look and play.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, a thing is happening, I guess?

I'm busy so I can't check it out myself, but here's a link.

https://enfer.games2gether.com/

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe the policies you enact, buildings you construct and science you research influences the shifting parties in the political system. I haven't played since the first major update though, so I don't know if they've changed the system in that time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Over the past week there's been a set of videos put up on the Endless Space 2 YouTube.

Explore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm6Flesu_Fk

Expand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6_Ep_PGtE

Exploit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJNpxquRlw

Exterminate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMTXsnrGL0

The game's out tomorrow, and they've been dropping pretty blatant hints and nudges in these and other videos that there's something pretty significant hidden past the content available on the Early Access build. I'm pretty interested in finding out just what exactly that is. I'm guessing it's something like the return of the, or an, Endless, but that's pretty drat huge so I'm not holding my breath.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally got a launch trailer on YouTube. They showed it on their Twitch Stan announcing the early launch, but they didn't get it up on YT right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo-4f3b90o

Makes me even sadder that I'm stuck here at work rather than losing horribly as I learn how to play ES2.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Conot posted:

^^^^^ :argh: I was literal seconds from posting it but decided to check back a couple of pages to make sure it hadn't shown up yet.

Seriously though, thats a real good trailer. The music choice and the aesthetic are great.

:hfive:
If there's one thing I don't think Amplitude has ever gotten wrong it's aesthetics, though I played very little of ES1, it was long after it had released and quite a while ago so I might be off there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm pretty sure any system with your celestial vines and with a colony counts as part of your empire. Post a screenshot of a system that should count for the quest?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ahh, that makes sense.

And, speaking of gravity anomalies...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
All ships are wireframe in the galaxy view for everyone. Edit: It helps keep them clear and adds less clutter as you zoom out.

It's a shame people are having issues with the tutorials. I started out my first game as the Unfallen and it flowed really well for me. It probably should have had some time during the Early Access to iron out some kinks from the sounds of it.

Although, a lot of the questions asked so far are explained in tooltips. There are a lot of systems in this game, I recommend taking some time and hovering over buttons, reading all of the text in a tooltip, and going through the menus. I find the interface pretty easy to follow after I got through the first 20 turns or so of information overload.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 20, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A note for people wanting to pick this up, Amplitude is giving away Steam codes on their Twitter occasionally, if you can figure out the replaced letter or number.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/865945219866513409
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/865863496772329475

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe it's based on your Influence income. I don't think it's super important in your first game or two, and I've only just started looking into what it and demands allow you to do, so I'm not real solid on it yet.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you don't plan on taking to free upkeep skill, I suppose. The wording almost makes it sound like it's Empire wide while the free upkeep is not so that could also be a benefit, but I haven't taken it so I don't know if that's true or not.

Assignment duration locks your hero into an assignment for a certain number of rounds when you first assign them. It's usually 10 turns. So, what normally happens is you assign a hero to a task and then you have to wait 10 turns before you can assign them somewhere else, even if it's the same task but a different system or fleet. It doesn't come up much in normal play.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a manpower cap? Or should I go hog wild with food production when all my planets are full, along with those military upgrades

There is. The military screen shows you what it is. It is expanded through the military research tree as a tier bonus.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jastiger posted:

I see and how abiut my chapter 4 quest for the ue. Is that just broken?

I can guarantee that even if it isn't fixed in this experimental patch, it won't stay broken. Amplitude are pretty good at getting bugs fixed. It is the weekend, and while they've got some fixes up and running I'd expect most of them to come Monday or Tuesday.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Delacroix posted:

Curiosities are a type of planet modifier randomly distributed among systems. You need a ship in orbit with probes and use one probe for a "curiosity expedition" to reveal what the curiosity does. It's like the goody huts in Civ Beyond Earth that require explorers to expend a limited charge, but better implemented even if not as obvious.

:science: You can also do this through a system's construction queue, just click on the curiosity while you're in the system menu that lets you add things to the queue.

Sekenr posted:

Instances like that could have been solved by a proper tutorial but the tutorial is awfully picky about what it chooses to explain to you. And it chooses poorly, there is a tutorial for a very straightforward and intuitive tech screen which requires no explanation but 0 info about things that are not intuitive, for example "Curiosity expedition Pow. 2". WTF is that?

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, Curiosities require a certain level of curiosity expedition power to see and interact with. I believe certain techs in the Science (bottom) quadrant and the tier bonuses (what you unlock by researching a set number of techs in a tier) let you see and interact with the higher levels. For example, I think there's a tier two tech that lets you see and interact with level three Curiosities, while the bonus for reaching tier three will set your ability to see them to level three, but you can only interact with level two. (I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't double check, but if someone else can or already knows and can confirm or disprove this that'd be appreciated.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I very much doubt there's an optimal ship design. It likely depends on the battle plans and modules you have available, techs researched, what your enemy is using, hero skills unlocked and so on. People are a little disappointed in the lack of micro available for battles, which is understandable, but the prep you have available beforehand​ adds plenty of depth for me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Baronjutter posted:

What I haven't begun to figure out are the advanced options where you can group ships together in formations, I have no clue how that works or what it does.
You want to assign your ships to the flotilla that best works for their weapons based on the tactics you're using.

Onean posted:

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, Curiosities require a certain level of curiosity expedition power to see and interact with. I believe certain techs in the Science (bottom) quadrant and the tier bonuses (what you unlock by researching a set number of techs in a tier) let you see and interact with the higher levels. For example, I think there's a tier two tech that lets you see and interact with level three Curiosities, while the bonus for reaching tier three will set your ability to see them to level three, but you can only interact with level two. (I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't double check, but if someone else can or already knows and can confirm or disprove this that'd be appreciated.)
Finally at my computer and able to double check this. I was partially correct and partially wrong.

The tier bonuses are for Luxury resources, like Redsang and such.

The techs are all that unlock other curiosities, for example the tier two Baryonic Shielding tech (the free movement tech) lets you see level 3 curiosities and explore level 2 curiosities. Any tech with the curiosity symbol, the 3D wireframe cube with a question mark, improves your ability to see and interact with them. It goes up to level 4, along with another one that I haven't taken yet and don't understand what it does since you can basically do that from the start. Maybe it shows curiosities on starlane systems that reveal non-starlane systems?

I'm taking a closer look at combat right now, just to get information out. I'll write up another post for it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

Baronjutter posted:

What I haven't begun to figure out are the advanced options where you can group ships together in formations, I have no clue how that works or what it does.
You want to assign your ships to the flotilla that best works for their weapons based on the tactics you're using.

To elaborate on this, to unlock the extra flotillas you need to have a certain amount of command points and ships. You'll want to pick up the Autonomous Construction tech in Military tier 2 fairly quickly to enable this. Then, you can drag and drop ships between flotillas to best assign them.

Now, a little in depth look for combat. This is based off the Unfallen tech tree and the Unfallen starter hero's ship (Fedez-class named Drop) with all modules removed. The majority of the techs are the same, but other factions may have specialties or replacements I'm not addressing.

There's two types of damage and two types of weapons for each, so four different types of weapons. The range effectiveness determines a weapon's accuracy. Each weapon interacts with defenses a little differently as well.
  • Projectile weapons are Missile and Kinetic.
    • Missile range is: 100% long and 80% medium and they cannot fire at short. They are generally second for damage and have the lowest crit chance.
    • Missiles have 10% hull plating penetration and 90% shield penetration.
    • Kinetic range is: 80% long, 100% medium and 100% short. They can shoot down missiles. They're fairly even with Laser damage and have the second lowest crit chance.
    • Kinetic weapons have 30% hull plating penetration and 80% shield penetration.
  • Energy weapons are Laser and Beam.
    • Laser range is: 100% long, 100% medium and 80% short. They're fairly even with Kinetic damage and have the second highest chance to crit.
    • Lasers have 80% hull plating penetration and 30% shield penetration.
    • Beams are 100% effective at short range, and cannot fire at any other range. They have the highest damage by a large margin and the highest crit chance.
    • Beams have 90% hull plating penetration and 10% shield penetration.

Defenses contain the actual equations for how damage is dealt. Both projectile and energy defenses use the same formulas:
pre:
                                             Projectile/Energy Defense
Hull Plating/Shield Absorption % = --------------------------------------------- x 100
                                    (Projectile/Energy Defense + Hull Weakness)
You then take that value and compare it to the penetration of the weapon type using this equation:
pre:
Damage Absorbed % = Hull Plating/Shield Absorption x (1 - Hull Plating/Shield Penetration)
Damage absorbed by the shield is applied to the shield while damage absorbed by the hull plating is removed, any remaining damage is then applied to the hull. I'm not seeing anything that says if one takes damage before the other, or if they take damage at the same time.

Now, battle tactics. Turns out these are super important while starting out. Turtle adds 55% to Hull Plating absorption. Most starting ships have two hull plating modules which provides 17% absorption, so this raises it to 72%. Power to Shields adds 75% to Shield Absorption. Note that without shields this likely does very little to nothing, so refitting your ships with at least one shield module is probably mandatory. Doing so with even just a starter shield module bumps that up to 87% and 120 points of potential damage prevention.

If you want to look at this information for yourself, for example to check Hull Weakness, while designing ships enable the Detailed stats toggle on the top right. This is all from the tooltips of the various information that gets added by that toggle.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It also provides a damage bonus to your weapons in space battles. 20% when full.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Delacroix posted:

Perhaps they toned down the AI's behaviour because the AI previously changed their fleets to counter yours all the time. If you had sensor range into their empire you could see ships of a higher Mk with completely different loadouts within 2-3 turns (as fast as they could produce them). Maybe it's tied to difficulty?

I don't know. During my first game I was up against the Cravers. The first battle we had the were heavily energy focused, while I was heavily projectile. The next combat I had refit my defenses to counter them. The third combat had them refit to counter my weapons and defenses. This was over the course of about 10 turns while I was holding a choke point against them.

I've been kind of floundering in the early turns as I explore the tech tree and other mechanics, so I haven't had another game where I've had more than a couple battles against the AI. Maybe that was a fluke, I don't know.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Can you go back a system and cut off the ship there?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe I missed it but the game doesn't seem to have a lot of feedback on how defenses and weapon systems interact. For most games I'll just go with the piddly starting weapons and grab a quest reward for an upgrade while I go full economy. The UE start off with a pretty decent all-ranges laser gun that does a lot of work through most of the game for me.

I have no idea how laser and kinetic defense works though. They're just stat points but I haven't actually had a hard game yet, I think I need to bump the difficulty up another notch because the AI always rolls over in a war.

I mean, you missed my post on the last page. It's all information available in-game in the ship design screen once you turn on detailed stats.

Also, after combat resolves take a look at the Advanced option in the results screen. It will tell you damage done, shots missed and crit, and damage mitigated during each phase of a fight.

Edit: Actually, scratch the damage mitigated, I'm not sure if it shows that or not. The rest it absolutely does.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

toasterwarrior posted:

3) The problem with the above two points, however, is that I'm unsure of how battle phases and targeting work. Does a flotilla target one ship as a whole, or do they get to spread their attacks once the enemy ship has no more defensive ships? A big ship could very well insta-kill a smaller one, but if it only gets to target one ship per phase, does that mean its potential damage gets wasted? How bad is the missile's lower rate of attack in a pitched battle where phases get stretched out?

Tooltips! You're almost there based off the rest of your post, but there's a couple you apparently haven't checked. The ship's role tooltip will tell you it's targeting priorities, and there's another one, the name I can't think of at the moment, that says things like Focused that explain how it targets within a flotilla.

As for your first point, I'm pretty sure weapons being split across two sides is entirely cosmetic and doesn't effect their damage. If you watch a battle and turn on Scan View it will show damage numbers if you want to double check for sure.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Drag and drop to move ships.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, for anyone that hasn't tried it yet, the Full Reserves battle tactic is really loving strong if you've got a fleet even slightly stronger than your opponents. It gives you a free action point after the battle for the cost of reducing your weapon modules by 25%, and as far as I can tell if you keep using it, you keep getting free points. It lets you attack multiple fleets with one fleet in the same turn, including across different systems if needed. It's also perfect when chasing down those annoying fleets that retreat as you still get the action point.

It's late though, needing tier 5 military, but very worth it in my opinion.

Tulip posted:

It's on Bandcamp, if you're willing to buy from them.

Oh, poo poo, I've been waiting for a notification from bandcamp that it was up. Link here, if anyone wants. I even checked G4F's page a couple days ago and didn't see it. Thanks for mentioning it, otherwise I probably would have waited a little longer.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

The need to fix auto-build so it queues up more than one item and doesn't waste production overflow. Especially when building something that takes less than one turn. It should also automatically interrupt infinite items when you research a new building. It did both these things in ES1, so why can't it do this in ES2? After you pass a certain point you stop caring exactly what every single colony is building, as long as they're always building something.

If it works like EL (and ES1 apparently), you don't waste overflow on production or science. Any that isn't used carries over to your next selection, even if it isn't queued. I haven't double checked this yet, but I'd be really surprised if they took that out.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's two scales for terraforming. Hot > Temperate > Cold and Sterile > Fertile. I haven't payed a lot of attention to terraforming yet, but the ones I have noticed slide along only one of those scales, except for the Unfallen's final quest reward which let's them do some huge swings, like taking an Ash planet straight to Forest in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Safety Factor posted:

I know it's already been said, but ground combat is some bullshit. I'm currently playing Cravers and started invading my neighbors around early- to mid-game. The first couple of planets went easily as they hadn't had a chance to build up. Then I hit a 3 planet system and ground to halt. I've spent like the last 20 turns ferrying manpower in and have only now managed to get through their population, preventing them getting more troops. Dropping a never-ending stream of invaders is Craver as gently caress, but this is just lovely gameplay.

I typically wait until later when I can build up a dedicated bombardment/invasion fleet, but I figured I'd get a head start since I was playing Cravers. It wasn't worth it.

Ground combat is really my main complaint about ES2 so I guess I can live with it. Hopefully Amplitude takes another look at it later. Space combat is kind of bland too, but at least it's not nearly as aggravating.
There's early techs for manpower modules. There's also a fairly early tech for a module that increases the siege damage you do, and it stacks both on a ship and across a fleet. You can have more than one of each class of ship. Building a ground combat focused fleet using the small class ships is perfectly possible early game.

orangelex44 posted:

I made a new discovery today. Horatio is (are?) absolutely insane late game, and absolutely a "build tall" faction (weirdly), because apparently unused food rolls into production. I was just dicking around the galaxy, being all peaceful and poo poo, and suddenly I realized my capitol now had 1800 production because of it's 1400 food surplus. Instantly. I make a fleet EVERY TURN from a single system, and at this point I'm basically obligated to declare war on everyone and crush them under my unending waves of beauty.

...I've always enjoyed Amplitude's philosophy on balance, where "if everyone's totally broken somehow it'll probably work out".
There's a tech for that! It's pretty late though.