Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/783297286239621121

Release date of October 14th confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

They're just portraits.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

New EL achievements, from reddit

Curious about the highlighted one. Win while in an alliance?

Demiurge4 posted:

Aren't the Mogwr basically the weird hosed up dudes you fight in Dungeon of the Endless?

Looking at the enemies they're all either minor factions, necrophage or chimera. Chimera zombie maybe?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

I played a game as Sophons and I was always so broke. Their science is nice, but I was always struggling to make ends meet for a fleet of 3 attackers and a hero. Pacifists won the senate and never let go.

The Lumeris are really fun though. I enjoyed playing them a lot.

Isn't one of the pacifist laws something like +20% to dust from trade? Dust generation seems like it's their thing.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

To be fair I had dust issues related to ships at the end of my sophon game too but that was because I just kept making GBS threads them out all of my systems which had nothing left to build :v: Also I had terrible approval from over expanding causing pop to drop constantly.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Are there any techs that let you convert industry to anything else this time around? I hate leaving my queues empty...

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Must have overlooked it while beelining for military techs for ENFER. Would definitely have helped me though, had some great industry planets towards the end.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Siphons have the fun ability to research era 2 techs from the start. Sadly they don't seem to actually get the T2 weapons from the tech until you actually progress to that era so no crazy Sophon war supremacy from turn 3. That said I'm gonna try getting the T2 ships and see how they fare against a craver AI in era 1.

I lost a battle before my first election which helped push the pacifists to a majority and take that law away from me :(

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

-Influence generation so some neighbour AI doesn't overwhelm your influence sphere and lock you out of your own planets with a Close Borders

Took me far too long to realise it was influence doing this, a lumeris system was threatening to take over the entire galaxy this way towards the end of my first game.

Dallan Invictus posted:

And the AI will DOW you very quickly after meeting, especially if they're Cravers, so you ALSO need to tech up weapons and build enough ships so they don't roll over you when they do (or at least so you can hold out long enough for the forced truce - how or when does that even work anyway, the game never explains it?)

I think this (the quick DOW and forced truces) are a feature of early access only, to make sure people get to experience war but not be able to just dominate the ai straight away.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Beta patch is out https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/474-beta-patch-on-the-way-turn-limit-removed-influence-anarchy-fixes-and-more

quote:

Removed the turn limit
Fixed an error when an empire is eliminated and it had planet-related improvements queued
Added the revision number in the battle ship card in battle screen & fixed an inconsistency in data between tooltips of ships in the BattleShipItems in the fleet list, and the little triangles EncounterShipItem in the flotilla card 3D
Fixed fleet being considered as busy when loading a game where a ground battle was finished
Fixed Religious law allowing to cross open borders
Fixed GuiElement having temp text instead of localization keys
Fixed special nodes notifications being displayed when loading the game
Fixed loading issues with some Vodyani games
Fixed conversion by influence feedback
Fixed fleets in movement between two nodes getting stuck when their destination becomes invalid
Fixed religious law allowing to attack enemy systems even when in enemy influence zone
Fixed laws getting cancelled one by one after elections if more than one needed to be cancelled
Fixed force law (base party law) not activated when changing political alignment
Fixed anarchy duration not corresponding to what is displayed
Fixed the attack action not breaking the guard for the attacking fleet.
Fixed cycling through idle fleets including those that are doing something
Fixed issue with a technology for the Vodyani
Fixed feedback issue with multiple economic modules on arkships of the same type
Fixed Hero healing cost
Fixed anarchy duration not being affected by game speed
Fixed feedback issue on ships speed bonus in ship design
Fixed the user not being informed that anarchy duration is modified by the empire's approval rating
Fixed misleading Close Borders and Open Borders notifications
Fixed bonuses generated by a government still being present while in anarchy transition
Fixed error happening when the player has 0 total population and recruits heroes
Fixed notifications being displayed during a space battle cinematic
Fixed being able to vote laws while in anarchy
Fixed skippable error being generated when hovering the cursor across ship icons after retreating from battles
Fixed conversion by influence not working on minor empires
Fixed missing parenthesis that created issues in Endless speed
Fixed error being generated when clicking Quit Game
Fixed missing descriptors and lowered heal cost
Fixed launching a ground battle between two turns generate an error
Fixed ground battle crash when the invaded system disappeared before the end of the ground battle.
Healing a hero now repairs their ship
Fixed "hero not assigned" notification happening even when the hero is assigned
Added -novideo command line to skip all videos to isolate possible crash sources
Added --disable-ai command line argument that disable completely the AI (no dll loaded) to isolate possible crash sources

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Tanith posted:

Are symmetrical weapon mounts on either side of a ship just cosmetic as far as damage-dealing goes?

Nope. Whatever you put there will cost twice as much (including resource) but you double it's firepower.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

I've been playing through more EL games to the end (I'm really bad at getting myself to play past the midgame in 4Xs) and just won a scientific victory with the forgotten, which I though was kind of amusing. I don't know if it's a lot in general but towards the end I was generating a fuckton of dust. Easily over 20k per turn.

Looking forward to starting my next game with tempest.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

The wild walkers are a good starting point when just learning the ropes. Good industry production and they can see where all units are in areas adjacent to ones they've settled. They're the least gimmicky in terms of the asymmetrical design.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Patch notes here : https://www.games2gether.com/endless-legend/blog/477-free-update-pact-of-the-seas-is-out-today

Haven't combed through it all yet but hell yeah unique random factions!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

There's a TBD thread for ES2: https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/21182-endless-space-2-improve-list-post-early-access

One the things there under high priority is "Space Battle : Play Deck management". Battle cards coming back?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Any major features gated behind the DLC for Endless Legend? I don't have a lot of spending money at the moment so I can't buy the DLC, but I don't mind playing without the new factions.

The bundle is only £13 and only the very latest dlc is missing. If that's still too much then the base game is still good, though I do personally like what Shifters and Shadows add.

e: to expand more on features, shifters adds new a new type of resource, mechanics and improvements/buildings relating to winter as well as a faction whose strengths change when the season does. Shadows adds the ability to spy on other cities and a faction based on that and pillaging and so forth.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 13, 2016

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Haven't played cravers in es2 yet so I don't know if it's already in the game but I'm liking their theme https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/driven-by-dna-cravers-theme?in=flybyno%2Fsets%2Fendless-space-2-ost-demo-early
e: hah, maybe I should have read his description

Also that led to me finding this :3: https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/snoring-hedgehog

Overminty fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 14, 2016

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Yep, they can still get highway outposts in era 3.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

If you're making regular use of cat's paw and dissent it can get quite expensive. I think it's costing me something like 200 inf for a roaming army around turn 100 now. I also don't remember how much black mark costs.

Does attacking a fortress in an ai controlled ocean require being at war? I want to say it doesn't but I don't remember.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

cerious posted:

The name of the game is pillaging, I think in tech era 3 the pillaging rewards become really substantial that if you invest in the pillage time accessory for the forgotten heroes, you can fully pillage a tile in one turn and acquire mass amounts of dust, resources, etc. Stealth lets you get around pillaging stuff and running away without the AI knowing where you are, and you can bait the AI into picking fights while you have substantial reinforcements waiting on the sidelines. Rinse and repeat until your armies simply outstat everyone else, at which point you can walk over enemy capital cities.

Of course getting to the point where you can pillage effectively is a little tricky, and since they're so dust-reliant it's much harder for them to snowball out of control in the early game. But they're definitely late-game powerhouses if you can get to that point.

Echoing this. Don't forget to pillage lookout towers too, there's no risk at all because you can get them from your own borders and you need all the dust you can get.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Not sure why that would be petty seeing as they just introduced that in the latest patch for legend.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

There's been a couple more minor faction reveals in the last day or so and they've just announced the next major going into the next update.

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/801425074494455808
I never played as them in the original, I assume they play as standard military types. As for the minors

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/799645348104957952
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/800733615881474050
https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/801088187653386240
The Z'vali bonus seems pretty good if you keep approval up.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

I hadn't actually watched the trailer or read the wiki page when I posted that so whoops.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Yeah I've had end turn hang ups a couple of times and I'm not at turn 20 yet. Looks like it's a known issue though https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/73-tech-support/thread/22242-known-issue-performance-issues-since-update-one

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

So I found out today that all the soundtracks (barring ES2 obvs, hopefully they will be added some point after release) are on google play music so I put them all in a big playlist if that's something you'd like. https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXylUwrpEAXBw6i0IZycWlo_vyXimVjJ4ipJ4exp8PyLOTDUZi7_74wvXwcbk1P2O98JY5Jkb6Wjl1P2hrdvCWGKJQLWeJg==

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh cool, maybe I'll check it out again, then. Thanks.

e: wait it only works on battle animations, not the map animations? those are what I'm talking about

There is no option for the map presumably because everyone moves at the same time, so it allows people to react to whatever they're doing.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Has the stream started yet? Wondering if they're delayed or if my work network let's me on the page but not load anything.

e: nm, just went live

Overminty fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

The update will be available tonight on the beta branch. Apparently it's password protected but they'll be making it public on the site, facebook etc later.

Horatio's unique ability seems to be something called splicing. Their pop units can gain permanent fidsi boosts by splicing other races that settle on their planets. Their ships are more expensive than normal, because they have to be beautiful, but will be more versatile than others. Not clear on how that's the case.

There are 3 new minor factions, including the community created one. Former pets that collect endless artifacts? Wasn't concentrating at that point.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

New battle mechanics are in. Cards are back but you now arrange them into a deck. Looks like you can have 5 in said deck. There's a cooldown between swapping cards out but you can pay influence to bypass it. The battle setup now let's you arrange your ships into flotillas, so you can mix up long range, short etc.

There's a scan view in battle now. Lines represent ships trajectory and you can see their targets. Not sure entirely how useful this will be.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

The splicing bonus is tempered by a couple of things. The first is that it destroys one of the pop units you splice. The other is that the food requirement for pop growth goes up. The bonuses seem to be about 1/2 or 2/3rds of whatever the race normally has.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

The idea is that the Horatio are perfecting themselves by using alien genes to turn themselves into perfect people that are better than everyone else.

It kills more and more alien population the more splices you've already done. So the 4th one takes 4 pops, etc.

The fourth one they did on the stream only used 1 pop, don't know if it's just not been implemented as you say though.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, I might have mistook what I saw, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about that penalty. Specifically that you'd have to be careful about the order you splice them in.

I was trying to be sneaky at work and had a small window open so maybe I just didn't see it properly :v:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That lines up with what I'm seeing, thanks - that seems like a particularly egregious bug for the game to have, but...well, Amplitude, small studio, everyone's probably busy with ES2.

Tbf there was a patch with bug fixes just on thursday :v: It's worth having a look on their forums and seeing if it's already been raised or not. The devs are pretty good about responding.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Onean posted:

If it's not out already, I'm guessing Update 2 for ES2 is coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkgwKaQLpc

Yeah their twitter posted about half an hour ago saying it'll be out today.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Gameplay vid is out. Not a lot new, Riftborn ships are really pretty though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl254O6do4

Can't wait for modeing support in the next patch (release?).

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

^^ nice

Unfallen update is out

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/524-data-cache-found-unfallen-revealed

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

The thing I'm having trouble with is that there are so many loving techs that I really don't understand which one to research first.

I usually go for ones that allow me to colonise one or two new planet types and the ones that let you travel outside of wormholes just to start with.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Look what a dev posted...

Nice pop name/icon combo.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Is there a way to change the resolution outside of the game? Mine has spazzed out and made it so big I can't even access the confirm button in the options menu to change it back. It's locked so I can't even move it about.

Not at my pc right now so I can't confirm this but have you checked the documents folder for Endless Space 2 to look for an ini or xml file? I think there was one for Legend called Registry.xml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Serf posted:

Wow, that is a good cinematic trailer. Nice stuff.

Does the tech tree in this game change at all depending on your empire choice? Just curious from a story standpoint because some these techs seem odd flavor-wise.

Some techs are unique to your faction, though I haven't seen many besides the ones that unlock ship types. You can tell because they have the empire icon beneath them on the tech screen.