Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I just realized I had Endless Legend in my steam library and I'm actually really digging the aesthetic and gameplay from the tutorial. Also it's really cool there's a story for each faction. I want to rock the Cultists but I hear their gameplay isn't the same as the others in terms of strategy or something. Any tips?

They can't build additional cities, instead they go around to all the little Minor Faction villages and Convert them, adding more population/resource generation to their capitol. They're pretty fun and depending on your playstyle you might find them easier to grasp, but generally people recommend Wild Walkers, Drakken, or Vaulters if you're new to the game.

Wild Walkers because they're the most generic/least gimmicky and have a ton of Industry and strong ranged military units so it's hard to fail with them. Vaulters can use Strategic Resources (Titanium/Hyperium/etc.) as if they were Luxuries to gain bonuses and can teleport units from city to city, but are otherwise pretty standard mechanically. Drakken are also pretty vanilla aside from being able to impose diplomatic relations with other factions, so if you're in a war(s) you can't handle, you can force a truce to protect yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

I picked up EL in the Steam sale because it's always looked really interesting to me. I haven't played a Civ game since 4 (and I really didn't play much of that, even) but I've always loved Alpha Centauri and I was told that this was similar. Mostly I'm just bookmarking this thread by posting in it, but here's a question: I ran through the tutorial and it was very informative... except it never actually told me what the winning conditions are. Are they unique to particular factions? And are the Vaulters supposed to be the newbie faction? That's what the tutorial uses.

The actual victory conditions themselves are available to every faction (though some are better than others at specific conditions); the main difference is that each faction has their own personal quest line, which gates the Wonder and Quest victories.

You can check the win conditions (and turn them on/off) in the Advanced Settings menu when creating a game, or in the Empire Management/Status screen in-game.

Brief summaries:
Elimination/Supremacy - be the last surviving faction, or control all the capital cities (you can tell if a city is a capital by the little crown by its name).

Expansion - settle/control 80% of the map's regions.

Economic - Acquire a lot of Dust over the course of the game (you can spend it freely).

Diplomatic - Acquire a lot of Diplomatic Points over the course of the game. These are not the same as Influence; you acquire these Diplomatic Points by maintaining positive relationships with other factions (i.e. Cold War/Peace/Alliance). You also get points for brokering contracts which the other party willingly accepts (more points per Influence spent on the contract).

Scientific - Research 5 of the 6 technologies in Era 6 of the tech tree.

Wonder - Build a very expensive structure which you unlock after completing your faction's main quest.

Quest - After you finish your faction's main quest, you'll unlock another quest line which will win you the game if you finish it. This quest is the same regardless of faction.

Score - Have the highest overall score by the end of the game.

Wild Walkers, Vaulters, and Drakken are all good to start with; Wild Walkers have silly amounts of Industry, Vaulters are good all-around and get big bonuses for using Strategic resources in the same manner as Luxuries, and Drakken can force other faction into various diplomatic states (including Truce, which is helpful if you get overwhelmed by war).

Grab the Guardians, Shadows, Shifters, and Tempest dlc while it's on sale; you can turn it off before setting up a game and add it in as you feel more comfortable.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 27, 2018

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I dont know posted:

As someone who only ever played the base game a few years back, are the the expansions for EL worth picking up? I'm thinking about starting up a game.

Tempest and Shadows probably add the most content (oceanic gameplay and espionage, respectively, plus a new faction in each). Guardians adds the eponymous unit type (big elemental giants that are essentially armies by themselves) as well as Legendary Deeds (objectives & buildings that can only be achieved/built by one empire). Shifters adds a faction and greatly enhances the Winter aspect of the game.

They're all definitely worth it at sale price, and they go on sale often. Content-wise I'd say they all make the game much better than just using the base, so it might be worth the full price to you. When Inferno releases they'll likely put everything on sale again since they've done that historically.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Megazver posted:

I'd like to see an RPG released in the Endless Legend setting. At least a tabletop RPG sourcebook/campaign or something.

ZearothK posted:

Hell, same.

Some dude is working on something like this over on Amplitude's forums. Not certain how confident I am in it but Amplitude gave it the ok so I guess we'll see.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Please post a link here if you get a chance, I will be busy at work and not needing to search for it would be really nice.

Twitch link. Should be up in about half an hour.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

I'm about halfway into one game as Umbral Choir. Not liking them.

Biggest problem is that hacking feels really unreliable. On top of being a slow expansion mechanism. Just feels bad to fail, repeatedly, for what feel like dice rolls. For clarity, I started sandwiched between an Unfallen and a UE. I've been dividing my hacking between the two, more on the Unfallen. I have 1 sleeper in their entire empire near turn 70. Basically every action seems to just be dice rolls with little strategic interaction.

Which may be a symptom of a larger if less annoying problem: these guys are opaque. I've never felt lost in EL or ES before, every other system has clicked, even if I've been totally wrong about whether or not my plan will work. But here I'm just stumbling in the dark.

On the other hand, I don't feel weak. There's one other human, playing Hissho, who's #1 and I was able to force a stalemate in a conventional war with 1/3 the points. Which gave him Keii but also meant he wasn't invading somebody with actual territory, while hacking continued unabated.

Anyway, I like UC more than their last attempt at stealth with Forgotten, but it still just is much less fun than normal gameplay.

The hacking will be unreliable until you start increasing your "hack speed" via programs/tech/hero skills/etc. Before you start ramping that up, you'll need to route your hack through other systems so that their trace takes longer to reach you; if you try direct routes early on, you'll fail constantly, since traces move faster toward the source of the hack than hacks move toward their target node, plus once your hack signal arrives at the node, it actually takes time to hack it, while a trace just needs to reach your source node.

Something that took a bit for me to parse was that there's basically 2 aspects of hacking; your "signal" reaching the target node, and the actual "hack" once it reaches the target node. Once your signal reaches your target, then it becomes a race between their trace and your hack speed (your offensive programs like Accelerator aren't going to do anything until your signal actually reaches the node). It's definitely the subsystem with the least clarity I've encountered in an Amplitude game, but once it clicked I really started liking it. UC are probably my favorite faction now. There's more to hacking that I don't fully get yet, but I've had a lot of success with it so far with just the above worked out.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do when I get a "someone's trying to hack you" message?

There are defensive programs you can place on your systems to gently caress with enemy hacking, they're visible in the tech tree and attached to many things you'd research anyway.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hryme posted:

The last DLC of Endless Space II is really bad. Hacking is just a chore, and the Umbral Choir is not fun to have as an AI in a game or play.

I've been having a lot of fun with the UC, mostly because of their really tall play-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have any tips on Umbral Choir? I'm not sure I get how to play them.

When you hack unoccupied systems, you can place a sanctuary on a planet you have the colonization tech for (if the system is colonized, you'll need to establish a couple Sleepers first). Each of these count as planets for buildings/techs that say "+X per planet on system" and apply to your home system. Once you start getting population on your sanctuaries, the output of those planets gets concentrated on your home system too. Eventually, your home will have ridiculous output.

The concentrated output of the UC's home system makes building the Wonder victory obelisks pretty easy; the fact that systems with Sanctuaries count as colonized makes the Expansion victory easier (just watch your empire happiness); or you can just build a bunch of ships/behemoths & kill everyone (made easier since you can have any ships you build pop out at a designated sanctuary system when their construction is complete).