Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

That would be good as hell, get it done Amplitude :colbert:

Okay so, just started a new game as the Mages and I'm curious about where y'all think I ought to settle my first city;

I can see a lot of possibilities and I'm too dumb to know if any of them are clearly way better than others, though I'm currently leaning towards on the cliff directly above that oasis, gets me the approval bonus along with river and forests.

Yes, I agree. That is where I would go, it is 17 F and 10 I, which is OK in my books. It nets you the river and several decent anomalies to expand out towards. I can't see anywhere else on that screen that comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think I value the extra industry over the extra science gained by settling east, though admittedly it's only 1. The Mages can get the science from their Stele things. I would certainly build my first district (Museum of Auriga?!) Out to the east to grab the Science though and possibly work towards the coast. Perhaps I am also overestimating how important it would be to expand West to snag the other anomalies.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think the hacking is OK, but it takes so long. I really can't be bothered to spend 15 turns to hack my neighbor x5 to install sleepers. Great after 100 turns I now get a small amount of Dust from them (assuming they don't fight the hacks or get rid of the sleepers).

I think I would make it so that each hack gives you a sleeper AND one of the other options. If I hack my opponents capital world, why would I ever waste my time installing a sleeper or preventing movement when I can steal technology worth thousands of science?!

Another huge bugbear I have with it is that if the AI manages to hack your homeworld and topple your government, it can truly gently caress up your whole game. For me, my entire worlds became mutinous and I just couldn't recover.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The extra art and music makes it OK for me. I'm a huge fan of their whole aesthetic and ethos.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It is really janky to use. You essentially send out "hacks" from one of your systems to an enemy system which take a number of turns to complete. If your hacks pass through enemy systems on the way, they can trace you and ruin your hack. This happens very frequently. When you successfully hack an enemy system you can do something like install a sleeper, which gives you some information about the system (useful I guess) or gain influence with a minor faction. The real meaty hacks require you to hack the AI capital systems, this usually involves your hacks passing through multiple other enemy worlds on its way to the target, each can trace and ruin your hack. These hacks also take a really long time to complete ~ 6 - 10 turns. If you acquire 5 sleepers within an enemy empire, you will begin to siphon some of their FIDSI (good), this has never happened to me as the AI seems to frequently root out the compromised pops. Conversely enemies hacking you seems to work really well. In one game all of my worlds suddenly rebelled and I had no idea why. Turns out that the riftborn toppled my government and all my laws went away.

I think at the very least, you should be able to do most of the stuff that requires a capital system hack, from a normal system, like stealing techs or so on. I would probably pay more attention to it then.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just bought the endless legend collection, what is the most fun and overpowered faction to start as that isn’t elves?

I think the Broken Lords are pretty nuts, but then a good argument can be made for pretty much all the factions. They are all OP in their own way, except maybe the Allayi and the Forgotten who are both fairly rubbish. Go broken lords and go hard on dust generation. See how you get on. Alternatively Necrophage and eat the world.

Edit: I would also turn off the Shadows and possibly Tempest for your first few games. having all the DLC together to start can be a bit overwhelming and these too mainly add espionage (which doesn't add a whole lot except annoyance) or outposts in the ocean to capture (game breaking due to the resources and luxuries they spew out).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I really enjoyed the Kapaku DLC (Inferno). They were a good addition to the other races and their storyline was quite bittersweet in a way you might not expect. Weirdly even though I own it and love Endless Legend I've not actually played Symbiosis at all.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Agree that the Vaulters and Hisso DLC are, in my opinion, the best additions. I do like having the smaller quest DLCs too, but perhaps not as essential or substantial. Harmonic Memories is also really good as it adds more sweet FlyByNo tunes including my favourite Forgotten Moon. Penumbra adds an espionage / hacking system which feels a bit half-baked imo and doesn't add enough to the game to be worth the hassle of managing all the hacking. Awakening I did not get because of mixed reviews and a general vibe of it not being great.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

No you can only disable the entire DLCs.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Seems like a big series of connected quests. Nothing huge, but more of anything Endless Legend is very welcome.

Does anyone have any tips for the Mykara? I've just started a game and it feels a bit slow. I take it I am supposed to heavily focus on Food and sending fungal blooms all over the land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ditto on disabling Prenumbra, the hacking stuff is just a bit naff really. I didn't even bother with Awakening after the negative feedback. Shame, because the theme song for the hacking species is amazing.