Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
I really hope the Harmony return, I loved their Dust Filtration gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

I set it to 4 players, one for each race.

Also, Harmony disconfirmed? One of the Sophon quest chain involves finding Harmony ruins, and they're described as an ancient, extinct civilization. While that doesn't mean they won't show up in a later expansion, I think that strongly implies they won't be in the base game.

Dunno if this is the same chain you're thinking of, but one quest chain spawns a fleet to fight and after the fact describes it as being "blue crystal". Weirdly, the ships spawned when I got this were one of the generic minor faction ships, and one of the heavier Sophon ships. Mainly my love for the Harmony speaking, but I figured that the Harmony ships aren't done yet so it was grabbing whatever ships were the right class as placeholders.

On a related note: has anyone seen any minor faction/pirate ships heavier than the Prowlers or whatever they're called?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Tulip posted:

This is a critical piece of strategy in EL, yeah. I think what most of us are feeling here is that it's not really possible with the current gear : atom ratio in ES2, especially not when you want lots of colonization techs that give 0 things to do with your gears. I'd personally most like them to compress the tech up time, ESPECIALLY in Era I where you seem to need almost everything just to get your feet off the ground.

Another thing is that in EL, I spent a lot of time as Necrophage building Boroughs for my gigantic hive-cities, something that is obviously missing here. Between the boroughs, watchtowers, and minor faction villages, there were a lot of things you could build multiple of in any given province.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Can the Cultists convert sea fortresses or are they SOL for oceans if they don't get a coastal province?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Weirdly, the new Tikanan Minor Faction mentions that they were originally imported to a Human colony, not Mezari.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Amplitude is in Sega's "Make War Not Love" competition this time around, with Endless Legend.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It's a yearly thing Sega does between its strategy game companies - you pick a side to support one of the games they have (Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes, Total Warhammer, endless Legend), then in about a week reps from each of those companies will do a series of challenges and people supporting the winning sides get free stuff.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

I've noticed that autoexplore seems weird about oceans, I wonder if the shifting movement costs from Weather cause it to break or something. Unfortunately I don't really have a solution aside from manually moving your scouts.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

From the description, I have absolutely no clue how the Riftborn will play. They create time bubbles which do... what? Their pops get +5 to all FIDS, like the Vodyani, so presumably they have some bizarre growth mechanic. And what political ideology could they possibly have?

Personally, I'm hoping that they have something cool like they hate all worlds equally but have some mega-terraforming project to turn them into crazy alien worlds that are inhospitable to everyone else. Which would go nicely with the Ecologist ability to settle any world type immediately.

They showed them off in the stream, the time bubbles work on an ammo system where you build them, can store up to 3 total, and use them on any system you have vision of. Two were shown: time compression gives a system +25% FIDS, +100%Hero XP, +100%Fleet XP, and +100% to one more I forget - repair? Time Dilation likewise gives a system -25% FIDS, -50% XP gain and that last thing. They lasted for 10 turns (on normal speed?) and their slot wasn't freed up for a new Singularity until it ended.

The early game seems like their weak point, their pops have +5 IDS, with no food bonus, and there was a Mechanical Embodiment construction that I think was building new pops? Anyways that adds up to slow population growth.

They seem cool overall, I'll probably play them until such time as I can vacuum Dust out of the universe again.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Avasculous posted:

This is a joke, right? I know you said it was being reworked, but how was it even being considered?

It sounds like a way less costly version of one of the most powerful (and certainly the most annoying) abilities in EL, and the description reads like the kind of wink wink nudge nudge humor I expect from a 14-year-old.

iirc when this vote happened the peace concessions in wartime were automatic rather than something you could choose to accept, i.e. you would automatically return to a Cold War state after some amount of time. Now that accepting the peace is a choice, it certainly would be stronger.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Though I am forever hoping for the return of the Harmony (as a playable faction), they had 2 extra slots listed when Horatio were added, so it's 99% likely just a format bug.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 10, 2017

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

You really want Stellaris for that. Endless Legend didn't let you build a faction from scratch so much as customize an existing one, and that editor looks extremely similar.

It does have several things different, for whatever it's worth - I see a "Visual Affinity" that presumably works like the "race appearance" field for custom factions in ES1, and a set of three drop down population bonus selectors.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I've been playing too much stellaris but it seems like quite an obvious missing feature to have a bit more population controls in the population screen. My galaxy is in an existential war against the cravers and I want to eliminate them. Unlike other races their pops have the special depletion mechanic and I want them gone. I want to drag them into a spaceport set for "space"

I think there was a workaround during the early access of sending them to a system with full population, maybe see if that still works?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

What do the Vodyani use food for?

Minor faction growth, but also they can gain pop via food, it's just slow compared to other factions.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Also, remember to occasionally stop to let your invasion fleets' manpower replenish, lest your invasion devolve into a hellish Space Vietnam as the defenders spam the Conscription option against your ragged and weary troops.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

My missile-loaded fleets got shredded by a Riftborn fleet that was very slightly smaller (22CP to 24CP), with the Riftborn taking very little damage. I watched the battle to figure out what was going on and it seemed like every missile was getting shot down by the gatling turrets before reaching its target, so that might be a valid counter.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

For the record, the simplest way to expand infinitely without happiness problems is to be a Religious Dictatorship, because they get a law that sets happiness to 50% regardless of all other modifiers.

At least in my experience, conquering systems with this law active leaves them in "mutinous" status indefinitely (as opposed to "content" for 50% happiness). They may very well rebel as well, I did this with Cravers who don't get rebellions due to their special "Autocracy" government type. Thankfully, saving, quitting to title, and reloading is sufficient to put them into the "content" status, but it's still annoying.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

I kind wish that instead they'd gone all in on the reverse terraforming theme and been able to purge their planets of all life or something (something like Harmony in ES1).

Fingers crossed that they plan for Harmony to return, their absence is conspicuous in that two different things (The Pulsos and the Dust To Dust quest) call out that they're still out there somewhere, and I loved both their playstyle and flavor.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

They're in the files, so I suspect they're going to show up in an expansion.

Which file? I know there's one file there that was carried over from ES1 (GalaxySettings or something?).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Tired looking back a few pages, and I might have missed this: How do you capture that one ship for that first Craver story mission?

Just have a ship, probably one of your scouts, in the Defense mode when it enters a node. I always pick the capture option on that quest because getting that Medium ship that early lets you just roll over the minor factions in land invasions.

Note that it's fast - 11 or so movement iirc. You'll want to predict where it goes, not try to chase it down.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

OzFactor posted:

I picked up EL in the Steam sale because it's always looked really interesting to me. I haven't played a Civ game since 4 (and I really didn't play much of that, even) but I've always loved Alpha Centauri and I was told that this was similar. Mostly I'm just bookmarking this thread by posting in it, but here's a question: I ran through the tutorial and it was very informative... except it never actually told me what the winning conditions are. Are they unique to particular factions? And are the Vaulters supposed to be the newbie faction? That's what the tutorial uses.

Much like Civ, there’s multiple victory conditions. Iirc they are:
Score - have the highest score at turn N (200 on normal speed, I think?)
Economy - make X amount of Dust, total. Doesn’t matter if you’ve spent some, just that you’ve earned it, so spend away.
Expansion - own a certain amount of regions.
Supremacy - be the only one left with their original capital.
Conquest - wipe out all other factions.
Technology - research 4 of the era 6 techs.
Wonder - complete your storyline quest and build the Wonder unlocked by doing so.
Quest - complete the quest unlocked by completing the storyline quest.

I might be wrong on some of these, not at my comp to check.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Haven’t interacted with an Urkan yet, but saw something about bribing them somewhere - how does this work? Do I need Language Square like with minor faction villages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Even if some of ES1 concepts were more interesting that game didn't have those concepts realized beyond intro video and some bonuses.

I dunno, the Harmony did a fantastic job at feeling utterly alien compared to everyone else by virtue of their unique interactions with Dust and their ability to Purify planets. I'm still sad they didn't make the jump to ES2 and their gameplay is the single biggest reason I still play ES1.