Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Endless Legend got me to buy a music DLC and I'm not feeling a single bit of shame about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Frankly, I'm more hype about EL's new expansion. The seas are like the #1 gap to fill in that game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I have an Endless confession to make.

The Forgotten are my favorite faction :ohdear:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

What's the best way to powerlevel a hero in EL?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

How do you spec Allayi heroes? No terrain penalties talent looks awesome, the rest seems quite eh. Though I suppose having a single hero with maxed pearl cost reduction could be cool if hopping around to buy districts for each city in bulk?

Also, any word on the exact launch date for Tempset?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A dude has some half an hour of Morgawr gameplay uploaded.

[edit] Nevermind, a bunch of youtubers have. I guess the NDA is over?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Except for the Forgotten, who'll just sit on a dying planet, recounting all the wedgies they pulled on Vaulters. :smith:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The MOST I want is basically single round EL combat. Pick the maneuver plan and a few targeting orders. That's all.

Super-streamlined gratuitous space battles would be awesome.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Well the difference is for me is that even if the cities were diverse, the non necro or morg pops wouldn't be living in nice apts on the east side. Theyd be in hovels or pens as bargaining chips or as food. They should just not let those heroes have spies innately. Hire them sure, but spy? Ehh

They're actually not diverse at all, but rather all populated by clones of the same 20 heroes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the Forgotten and am finding it somewhat difficult tokeep attention with other cool and fun races.

I want to conquer the seven seas and build beautiful towns and hoard more pearls Auriga has ever seen, but it's stronger than me. :smith:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone have solid advice for playing the Forgotten? They seem like they don't want to go very wide due to escalating spying costs, but maybe I'm overvaluing spying.

I migt make an effort post if I get the tjme (as I've said, I'm sort of obsessed with the faction). Any particular issues you're struggling with?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Chadzok posted:

Ardent Mages benefit from some crazy city designs to take advantage of their pillars, which is another reason why I will never choose them.

Amazingly, the crazy city designs are actually more exploitation-efficient than the classic sticks/triangles while on par in terms of approval! Embrace the ardent architecture for all races!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Okay, the Forgotten effortpost is here.

Are you a bad enough dude to be Forgotten?
First, let me say I'm playing this game single player on normal speed - you'll have to adjust it for any multiplayer peculiarities there are - most importantly, the AI is quite terrible at hunting your pillagers, so you'll have to be craftier and more focused on cutting the pillage time to a turn or two.

First Steps and General Directions
In general, when you pick the Forgotten you commit to an aggressive game - similar to Necrophages, you're fairly bad economically with ways to make military pay for itself to make up for opportunity cost of pumping out units.

You generally want to go for Supremacy victory - full-on conquest is usually more of a bother than a boon, and you can both save yourselves salting a bunch of cities and relatively easily engineer a simultaneous precision strike at two-three capitals to close the game.

While everyone and their mother will tell you the Forgotten should play a Dust game, the Forgotten have a forest bias for a reason! Other than theoretical idea of it being easier to stealth minor faction units, the faction has a plenty of important Dust sinks, so building/unit buyouts are off-limits except for dire emergency. The early production will be important.

Also, don't worry about having poo poo empire score - between how the Forgotten tech and wage war, it will increase in sudden bursts, rather than rise steadily.

:siren:Do not sell Forgotten units on the market!:siren: The invisibility is an incredible boon to scouting and spy insertion - sharing this advantage would be like the Allayi handing out Skyfins!

The first things to do once popping down the first city should be:
- refit the assassins and the hero to hold sword in the main hand and an axe off-hand - the refit costs nothing and you get a second slayer trait.
- buy yourself a mill foundry tech, right here, right now. If nearby villages are particularly troublesome for the assassins, feel free to pick Language Square off the bat two - but the less techs you buy now, the better!
- scout around grabbing ruins, as you would normally, with an eye towards knocking out the quest early on - two fights will net you two Predatore and a free hero early on! If you pay attention to the terrain and, if necessary, use your hero to tank, you should be able to do this without losing a single unit. In case of Predatore fight, it is of utmost importance not to get bogged down in forests and cliffs. If you can bumrush them with assassins, they're toast.
- Make sure you have enough influence for an Empire Plan (if you rushed out a second city before turn 20) - the science reduction straight cuts science buyout cost by -20%. What this means, you patiently delay teching and then buy all of Era I in bulk on turn 21. Unless you got a particularly sucky start, you should reach Era II instantly, maybe snatch an extra Era II tech instantly if you lucked into a dusty start.
- - You musn't leave Era I without the Mercenary Market - spies are key for the upcoming Era!
- Your invisible settlers are top tier, they can run around solo without a care in the world.
- Never leave your units idle! If you get pillage going, it's a major piece of your economy, and you should always be pillaging, scouting and murdering fools trying to find your regrettably-unstealthed cities.
- Remain adaptable. You're never really sure what techs and strategics you'll be able to siphon off people, so be ready to make adjustments.

Cities and Economy
- Try to aim for decent industry (no buyouts) with dust generation potential (as usual, Aquapulvistics is boss). I generally go tall, in that I never really exceed three cities. Increasing influence costs are a factor indeed, but really the key thing is that you want to invest in pillage and espionage capabilities anyway and then it's better to just take some nice cities other people built anyway.
- Your aim is to go for early production and set up for switching to dust when Era III ramp hits. The Influence is somewhat important, but nowhere near the priority it is for Cultists or something.
- gently caress trade - it's a bunch of investment and hassle not really connected to the core of your strategy, everyone hates you for pillaging and subterfuge, and you don't even get the science half of the deal!
- In general, you want to set up a decent base for yourself and gear up to wage war on someone in possession of nice cities by the time you hit Era III.
- Having said that, if early fuckery nets you strategics for a decent shot at Museum of Auriga/Industrial Megapole, go for it! As long as the construction is not a major, terrible, obviously bad disruption of your progress, even if you lose the race, the consolation prize dust is pretty useful for your numerous gold sinks.

Science and Research
Forgotten science progression is interesting in that unlike most 4X faction traits, it's neither "early snowball" nor "lategame powerhouse" - rather a sinusoid that changes on different stages of the game.
- Early game (turn 21 wholesale purchase), your tech is amazing good.
- Era II is your lowest point in the game. It is not unheard of languishing in Era II hell while Vaulters reach IV. The dust cost becomes prohibitive, while your inexperienced spies are still fairly slow at theft. You should strive to get out of it ASAP.
- - At this point, don't waste your dust directly, but rather grab another spy and steal, steal, steal.
- - Don't retool into espionage ASAP! You enter Era II really quick, so there might not be much worth stealing right off the bat, until players overtake you. Especially if you bear in mind some of the techs people research are useless/inaccessible to you (racial techs, libraries, etc.).
- - If you play with empire stats on, you can use the research tab (the one that counts the techs one have) to pinpoint worthy tech steal targets and timing. Don't feel ashamed to do it solo - it's great for getting a proper feel/game sense as Forgotten.
- Somewhere in Era III you return to technological godhood. The trick being, once you hit the Dust ramp, you can start tearing through the tech tree like you're a vaulter. With an existing army of spies, you'll catch up with the big boys in no time.

General science tips:
- Remember you can demand tech to end the war! During negotiations, ditch the poo poo cities that would do nothing but tank your approval and get out of the Era II hell quickly!
- Remember that each tech increases the cost of the next one - meaning, ideally you want to first buy a tech and then steal one, to save money. This also means, when you advance to a new era you want to buy out all faction-unique techs before going on a stealing rampage (unless there's another Forgotten player, I suppose).
- While your teching is generally dominated by economic concerns, remember that thedust buyouts are instantaneous and allow you great flexibility - you can chill on your pile of gold and grab poo poo just as it is needed.
- Remember the turn 21 bulk purchase trick? It's still applicable later in the game, in that you can switch the tech discount policy on and off, depending on if you expect to do some buying. Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
- All of your racial techs are pretty cool, with Learn from Others being a particularly bright star - with that one, your heroes will level in ridiculous time, leaving you with a horde of hyper-competent spies, governors and generals.
- - If you're really tryharding, What's Mine is Mine and Caudata Sanctuary could possibly be skippable if you feel so.
- Read your opponents! Apart from targeting obvious tech leaders, you are safe to assume Broken Lords will tech into dust, while Drakken go for influence - try to gamble on a right target if you feel like grabbing a particular tech.

Pillaging
Have your units always be moving and trolling the enemy, siphoning Dust and resources - let them pay for themselves until you get enough of them to wage a proper war. In case of AI, they're really bad at punishing you for it, so go to town. remember you can move among the adjacent hexes when pillaging to dodge dudes/set up future moves.

Be sure to grok out how pillage damage is calculated, to reach the key values of 15/30 - for, respectively, 2/1 turns to completion. Pillage trinkets from Era II Armor, Meritocratic Promotion stacks and keeping the early units alive to advance a level are key here. Mysts are the greatest, if you want some dudes primarily for pillaging.

If closed borders watchtowers get troublesome, there are two ways to burning them down - across the border, or after popping max reduce vision.

The Art of War
First off, :siren:always:siren: micromanage fights! Your units are sub-par pieces of poo poo number-wise, but all have really neat abilities that you can leverage to great advantage. All three units are very useful for their purposes, with their weakness being you lack a designated tank - and the Assassing are rather mediocre at this forced role. Be on the lookout to assimilate some tanky minors to bolster the garrisons.

Until you get a good feel for your units, don't put much faith in the their glass cannon quality - dual wielding really kicks into gear in later eras. While you're not always in control of the strategics, you generally prefer titanium for Assassins and Glassteel for other units.

Invisibility is an incredible advantage, allowing you to poo poo all over roaming neutrals, sneak through closed borders and in general be a major pillaging and spying pest. Combat-wise, invisible reinforcements are not shown for the opponent on the battle initiation pop-up, allowing you to bait enemies into really disadvantageous fights. Stacks of Predatore and Mysts are particularly great as these stealth reinforcements, as they can close in quickly after spawning. Similarly, you can easily gang up on unsuspecting fools who spreaded out.

Assassins are your bread and butter, if mostly due to being forced to serve as your best next thing to a frontliner. Their greatest advantage is speed and mobility - always maneuver them to advantageous terrain, blocking movement paths and pre-empting units with ranged/special attacks. However, they also require fairly close attention to terrain - even the choice of direction from which to attack can make and break the battle, as you really, really want to block nasty poo poo with melee and not get bogged down in forests. In later game, with proper combined arms, these guys and Mysts pretty much shutdown any backline your opponent might have.

Predatore are a cool ranged unit with a really cool stacking damage-boosting ability. Dual wielding crossbows allows them to basically match the damage of bows, while retaining a much more universal attack trait. While cool and useful dudes overall, they're particularly useful against tanky infantry and a necessity if you have the misfortune of facing a Guardian (Predatore can melt those fuckers real good).

Mysts have a twofold purpose: strategically, they are an utter pillaging terror and tactically, Faster than Shadows allows some fairly absurd damage output. When fighting a real, proper swarm (Necrophages, city garrisons, particularly pitched battles), it's often useful to throw a stack of Mysts against it - the poor flyers should be considered a suicide squad, but drat will they trade nice damage before they perish. When attacking cities, always make sure the walls are completely torn down before using Mysts! Even a single point of armor (e.g. when a conquest prolongs to a second turn) shuts down Faster than Shadows, sharply turning the maths against them!

Strategically, you want your wars to be offensive ones and planned beforehand - you set your sight on an empire you want to erase from the face of earth and fill it with spies, who patiently build infiltration levels, perhaps stealing a few techs on the way. When the D-Day finally comes, you want to:
1. Surprise wardec, with your invisible dudes already assembled within enemy territory to strike the same turn.
2. Have the most far away spy pop morale decrease.
3. Have the nearby spy tear the walls down and immediately jump to lead the army about to do the conquering.
4. Steamroll.

Rinse and repeat.

Remember there is actually nothing forcing you to maintain a frontline like a normie - you can strike deep, from another direction, wherever your alpha strike will hurt most.

Heroes and Espionage
You really, really want Forgotten heroes for both espionage and generalship, with usual suspects for governing duties. Watch the timer on hero exclusivity at the beginning of the game - you really want to secure a second spy early on. If you plan on following the questline diligently, you'll get three more Forgottens at its end, so I guess take this into consideration?

If engaged in a more conventional war of attrition rather than your usual guerilla shananigans, Drakken make for great generals due to their HP boost make for a great general - they will break stealth of the stack, however, but it's not a great deal if you're already forced into such disadvantageous situation (offensively, he'd chill in a city until the very second of a surprise wardec).

My leveling scheme goes as follows:
Managed Torpor - 1 level - it's great to bounce around, but espionage is static enough maxing this out like a Wild Walker is a waste (if pulling a spy, you probably want to heal him up a bit anyway).
Fast Healer - 1 level - yep, a common skills swerve! This is just a pip to go further up, but it also is a buff for when your spies do get busted every once in a while, allowing you to be more aggressive with them.
Whatever the green espionage skill was called - max it out. It's much better than factional Double or Nothing now, and it greatly lessens your pain if the enemy is proactive about forcing you to relocate
Double or Nothing - max - now we return to orange - this is much better as the second seniority bonus, as it really comes into force by this time - we're now popping high-level tech heists for a bigger bonus and have the up-front boni to trigger DoN earlier.
After that, it's your call depending on circumstances - you can get the safety net for espionage failure, or swerve into generalship (for the tear walls-lead army one-two punch).

The secret sauce to your espionage prowess is really Learn from Others - once you get that fucker, you'll grab those skill levels in no time. It also makes governors pay for themselves fairly quick.

Ziema - the early quest hero - is a dang great invisible general and an okayish spy and it's definitely worth it to grab her, even if you don't plan to give the questline much attention later on. The quest to get her to level 4 is perhaps the biggest stumbling block in the questline - so far I think I was most successful at having her lead a pillaging party, maybe pulling out to benefit from a large construction in some city of mine.

The holy trinity of espionage actions are tech theft, decrease morale and damaging fortification. These are what you use to win the game. The other actions are situational, if you feel like kicking particular opponent is advantageous. Remember that city infiltration actions will reveal the location of the spy!
- Decrease Vision is a great counter-move if somebody wasted a lot of time building a wall of watchtowers to contain you - make 'em blind, move in, burn them down and keep on ravaging
- Similarly, Steal Vision is a decent gamble to gain vision of cities to plant spies behind a wall of watchtowers.
- Decrease Population makes Allayi cry. Pop just as a winter is coming for maximum tear potential.
- Decrease Production is usually not worth revealing the spy, but blocking a wonder/guardian/major military production city can be a godsend.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

I love that effortpost. Could we put a big link to that in the OP?

The Forgotten racial skill that makes forests pay out Dust is also pretty great. You're getting food, industry and dust all from the same tiles.

Sure, go ahead.

The Dust skill is pretty neat, however I never really find myself using it - it's by no means bad, but there are two issues with it:
- There's really nowhere to go to further spec into governance - and those Learn from Others XP keep ticking!
- As I aim for possible exclusivity of in-faction heroes for both espionage and generalship, I usually leave governance to designated out-of-faction heroes who can never stop getting more and more economic skills (hello, Learn from Others).

I do see picking it in particular circumstances:
- If I were developing a spy, still during the swerve to common skill tree and found myself in need of investing in the anti-espionage skill. Then this would be a nice follow-up for my roaming gestapo governor.
- If I finished the questline and had not that much use for the newfound lategame horde of low-level heroes.

In general for the governing the loose tier list is like this:

Top 3:
1. Broken Lords - the Holy Grail, because making GBS threads out dust is one thing you crave for most of the game.
2. Wild Walkers - particularly useful if you get him fairly early, when you're still very reliant on production and can still expect to settle a new city that could use some help kickstarting. Still, he retains his usefulness late game, to speed up production queues in less productive cities (lack of buyout funds can make for some mean delays at times) and eventually plop down in your Doom Factory that simply keeps pumping out invisible hordes.
3. Valete Sapira Kugua - more of a utility than economic hero, but incredibly useful in that role! For the most part, she will just chill with her Influence 3 Boost and Righteous Cause (pretend you just bought mobile sewers and glory of empire, not the worst deal), but spike into usefulness during inevitable conquest - she will help with approval sinking suddenly and sinking hard, healing up fragile troops and stoping the dust sink that are towns you intend to salt anyway. I find the amount of Influence she generates just right for your needs. As usual, extra useful when facing Necrophages.

Also okayish:
- Necrophages - never really felt the need to use them, but i suppose they could work as poor man's WW to set up your war factory.
- Cultists - not a bad governor by any means, but somewhat more awkward than BL/WW, as along the way you have to either spec him into half governor-half general or burn a point on a unusable science boost.
- Drakken - fairly similar to Valete Sapira Kugua, but lack her wartime usefulness.

Desperate measures:
- Roving Clans - it's a trader hero for a faction that doesn't trade, which makes him really inferior to BL hero for your purposes. However, if you're desperate for the only dust boost hero in a vaulter-filled marketplace, or something, there are ways to make Clansmen work. First, they have Spying 3 with access to the common espionage skill, so that's better than nothing if there's no Forgotten available. Second, they do generate some Dust and have one legit great skill - Feet on the Street, which helps to get over salting approval-tanking cities much faster. Afterwards, at a price of wasting a skill point they can get cheaper units or common governance skills. So they're like a versatile bad imitation of all the heroes you actually want to but.

Not even once:
- Vaulters
- Ardent Mages
- Haunts dude
- Allayi - lack of stealth makes them a liability in the field, you don't really want to waste cash on bribes (when you could gain cash for loving up said village) and the pearl cost reduction is just not worth the uselessness of the rest of their skill tree.

The Morgawr are Morgawr.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Riso posted:

Turn it into a steam guide, tia.

LIKE THERE'S NOTHING LEFT UNSPERGED YET!

For reals though, I can already think of some minor remarks regarding the questline and winter semi-affinity, so I guess if anyone still has questions go on and let's make this the ultimate guide to assholery.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

In theory, yes, but you kinda have to luck out to settle next to ocean, while retaining a not-poo poo position for your sole city. They're like the most awkward faction for naval stuff.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, you are at disadvantage to your partner due to science thing, tend to be hated by everyone for pillage/pearl stealing (so it'd take bribing AI to get this bad deal) while generally try to avoid borders to hide your cities for as long as possible not to get put on the defensive. If you happen to get sandwiched in between dudes, not get murdered and can steal the roads tech, go ahead - it's a great pretext to justify Feet on the Ground and dust is king. It's just that it really is a call for particular circumstances, and you should not expect to trade as a part of your core strategy when picking the faction.

The Forgottens are generally Necrophage-level assholes, just a different kind of assholes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Is it just me or did the game took a performance hit with Tempest?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Det_no posted:

Is this the age of Effort Posts? God I hope, I'm terrible at this game. Someone do a roving clans guide.
Will a micropost of random wisdom do?

1. Get Language square early and - thanks to your free market - always check to see if fetch quests like "bring us 8 titanium" ain't cheaper to buy via market than bribing villages the straightforward way. Maybe grab yourself an early hero while they're cheap af. Remember that questlines forces you to grab an early Wild Walker anyway!
2. You're the one Dust faction with no real additional dust sinks (unless we count winter losses I suppose), so buyout poo poo to your heart's content.
3. Slavers & Volunteers + policy to reduce building cost is ace.
4. Hero skill that allows to trade in cold war is pretty baller and might be worth rushing. As with everything trade-related, it takes few eras to work at all, so be patient.
5. Micro your horses to run circles around opponents (literally) for the charge boost, grab horse archers as your bread and butter unit and kite relentlessly.
6. Don't think of people being able to throw market ban off with influence as a weakness, but rather as an alternative to arbitrary time limit. Time the ban just before a policy choosing turn, so it's expensive and your victim would have to forfeit either policies or forcing the ban away.
7. Your settlers are turbofast for a reason - get them going and win all races to settle the sweetest spots.
8. Always plop down settlers at the end of your turn and simply Setseke if that's not the final intended position - it's free gold/influence! Exception: might want to hold off on that to keep policy costs down, if timing this stuff.
9. Do the questline for sweet, sweet trade buffs. The city-destroying quest is a bitch, deal with it (probably with Privateers).
10. Market manipulation is cute, but more of fun utility here and there rather than some proper Offworld Trading Company subsystem. It's the early access to it that forms the most straightforward advantage. Do not forget to keep checking what transactions are being made - it's easy to get complacent, with it, but it can be a great bit of intel.
11. Setseke, Ho! bumps enemy spies to their academy. This might be worth it instead of a round up.
12. If you build a district over a strategic/luxury and Setseke it somewhere else, the extractor stays. The turn or two of Setsekeing might sometimes be more efficient than building them the usual way.

Super secret technique for ultimate assholes (read at own peril):
If a city is doomed and cannot be neither defended nor beetle away quickly enough, you might Setseke it and force the opponent to kill the beetle rather than capture it. This is pure scorched earth, so they don't get your hard-bought buildings and wonders and poo poo.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 28, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

I haven't played Morgawr a whole lot yet, but they're really good.

They seem both ridiculously good if left alone to farm fortesses at own leisure and hilariously weak if you just stroll into their city with an early stack. Very cultist-y in many ways.

quote:

(although Roving Clans boats are also scary

Wait, what? Weren't all other races supposed to roll with the same generic naval capability?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The Preacher is really mostly a utility unit for converting villages; his buff is actually pretty sweet, so he's a nice support unit, but obviously they're not meant to fight for themselves.

Your basic modus operandi should be to drown your opponents in relentless attrition warfare with all the poo poo minors that keep spawning for free. For your dedicated elite army you actually spend production on, you're meant to assimilate the most useful minors available for your frontline and kit them out appropriately. Cultist archers are actually pretty sweet and well worth researching - doubly so as there's not that many minor race missle troops. Never really bothered with cultist cavalry, so idk maybe they're good, maybe not.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Forgotten (... ) Make Trade, Not War

:captainpop:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tulip posted:

I've certainly enjoyed every Tempest game I've played less than I've enjoyed the median non-Tempest game.

Not very. It has more superficial similarities to ES, what with being a space 4X, though that doesn't mean much. They've clearly learned a lot of lessons from EL, and they've done a much better job of making each faction feel unique than ES1 did, but it's hard to articulate how a given lesson from EL lead to a ES1-->ES2 change, other than some relatively superficial stuff like influence and roaming quest armies.

ES2, it must be said, is very cool so far. I've only played a very little bit since an early build, and I haven't really found my sea-legs regarding the election mechanic, but so far I like that particular aspect. The 'choice' techs is an interesting design decision and I'd have to play a more militarily nail-biting game to tell if it's a good decision or not.

How different do the factions feel? From watching it from afar it seems like mostly differently coloured +numbers and vodyani that do stand out EL-style.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

How do pillars time bubbles work?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

El lore question, I've not played as the Roving Clans enough for their quest line to get near the end, how do they intend to ride out the end of Auriga?

Yeah, it's basically about them taking a Scrooge McDuck dust bath during which they figure out dust is magic and so they've sitting on enough mojo to maybe unfuck things.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Grab the dudes that create units on kills and run around murdering anything that moves, cackling as you profit from each fight. Set up for making GBS threads our bugs in era 2 and drown the world in blood. Micro some hit and run tactics to abuse the poison on your frail dudes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's the kind of situation where it is better, but complimenting it in any way makes you feel dirty nevertheless.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's a particular case of a very gimmicky faction interacting with espionage system in a characteristic way: they're a bad target for minor espionage actions (due to generally high security), but if enemy manages to patiently amass influence for a big hitter of an action that can cripple a city - well, you don't really have backup cities as cultists to fall back on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It kind of depends on the terrain and forces involved, but it's 100% possible to make a fighting withdrawal over the 6 combat turns to live and fight another day.

Perhaps try playing as the Roving clans, their armies tend to rely on horse archers whittling the enemies away with skirmish tactics.

PS. Although from what you've written, it's more of a case of being salty after being stomped? You just need to figure out the terrain and grok how the combination of manually selecting hexes and AI behavior setting makes the units follow your will exactly and you're set to go. Basically, the more glass cannon-y your units are, the more made or broken they are by microing orders.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of Roving Clans, I like Lumeris in ES2 and I've always wanted to learn Roving Clans in EL as the sort of... counter-balance to my Necro play. But is it me or do they just... suck? Banning people from the market makes you a target and they can't compete with the Broken Lords for sheer dust production. How the hell am I supposed to play them?

When moving a settler to a far away land (i.e. the second he leabes your borders), keep planting cities wherever at the end of the move and setseke immediately - that way, as you move you pick up a few apples and dust, while also keeping your little dude a bit safer.

Micro the gently caress out of your units! Hit and run tactics exploiting the charge bonus make your dudes move from poo poo to decent, while horse archers (that you should get asap) can outskirmish half the unit roster when used correctly. Just avoid proper tanks (like Sillics) early on and be very mindful of the terrain. We're talking Ardent Mages level of micro making a difference here.

Abuse your high speed to outsettle your opponents and scoop pearls. You have the best settler in the game and good units are meant to be built. It's especially important to grab prime real estate quickly, as it's tricky for you to conquer stuff without the ability to wardec.

Don't forget your early access to the market! It's easy to forget, but it lets you to start monument construction ages before the other races. Insider trading info is mostly useless most of the time, but if you're diligent about checking the market screen, it can warn you about an incoming military buildup or someone else also trying to buy into a monument.

Once you hit the Era III dust ramp, right of way the gently caress out of all those cities. And trade agreement everyone you can - it may require minor bribes for the AI, which is perfectly fine given your increased income. Also, it's a long con, but invest in your starting hero's factional (trade) skills. They're really bad pre-Era III (pre-trade), but the second you hit 4 levels and get the skill enabling trading with cold war/warring empires, just plop her in the capital and never stop laughing, as you begin lighting cigars with dust.

And yes, you will reach a point where you're swimming in money to the point where you drop a new city and insta-buy all the necessary infrastructure on the same turn.

Try to time market bans just before policy-setting turns - so that it's unfeasible to flush all that influence down the drain to counter your action. Peeps getting angry about the ban is not a bad thing - you either ban someone that's your major rival anyway or are glad for them declaring war for you.

Privateers kill cities, so they're nice for poo poo you want salted anyway. Also, given all their possible buffs, it's great (if costly) to just drop a squad of super saian haunts for the defensive meatgrinder when attacked.

Other that that, basically try to play them like Broken Lords that chose building pretty cities over a decent military. And don't be dismayed by somewhat substandard early game - once the trade and dust ramp kicks in properly, you'll have more dust and science than you'll know how to spend.

[edit] While Setseke, Ho! is 90% of the time used for relocating a new city once you spotted a waaay better location a turn earlier, it's also great if the defensive war is getting hopeless. If you're lucky, you can GTFO and settle some other place and if not - you'll have the opponent simply kill a settler, essentially destroying the city, rather than have any way of capturing it for his own purposes. Grow your own town, fuckers!

Roving Clan art of war is essentially a masterclass in passive aggression and scorched earth policy fits that perfectly.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 29, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Another Setseke trick: resettle in place, basically only losing one turn of production to 100% guaranteed bounce any enemy spies to their respective academies. Resettling in space also lets you relocate all districts, which might come in handy sometimes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Then you have moved the settler or somehow messed with the world-creation algorithm.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I believe pearl spawns are simply set in stone at start creation. So, if two pearls spawned on a hex during the first winter, two pearls will spawn there on every subsequent one. Any growth or stacking is simply the result of nobody bothering to pick up the previous shipment.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Stabbatical posted:

How on Earth do you do that? I was playing a Vaulters game this weekend and that definitely never occurred to me as possible. Although, despite loving 4X games, I can never get my head around min-maxing like that.

Protip: pick Morgawr, who specialize in both Dust and Influence. :getin:

Speaking of fishmen, is anyone proficient with them itt? I wonder:
- whether strategic/luxury resource extraction is still worth it, or perfectly skippable tech, given all the sea fortress production?
- what's the proper viligance to garrisoning your cities? I tend to skimp on it extremely because AI is braindead and I like playing with little boats.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I remember one quick levelling scheme for late game is planting a hero in a new city where you're about to do mass building buyout.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, when playing industry-heavy there comes a point where your science output just can't keep up with your monster factory so it's either stockpiles from now on or an army of darkness.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Tempest is the only expansion I feel is essential in EL. Naval warfare brings so much to the game.

I'd say shifters are too: the winters get that much more interesting with it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yes, but it was mostly bunch of little +dust changes to smooth things out. I think they're probably in the lower rungs of the tier list, but not unplayable - more like unreasonably intolerant of mistakes (not sure about multiplayer, as I suppose pillage could be shut down hard there).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

TalonDemonKing posted:

There starting melee units feel stupidly weak. Am I supposed to just ignore them and get better ones or is there some equipment trick for them?

Apart from the free turn 1 retrofit mentioned above, they're okay but you have to be vigilant about their micro (don't have them tank needlessly, use terrain, lock enemies via melee, etc.), tank with the hero if necessary. The one thing they can't handle is tanks like sillics and you kind of have to get a feel which minor races are off-limits initially. Their mobility and speed is ace though and when facing a proper opposing army their Acrobat ability (passing through units) is amazing at having the entire ranged/support backline dissolve in no time.

In later era you want them in armor to tank the frontline (while retaining army invisibility), but really kinda cry inside and avoid meatgrinders when possible - use your invisibility to avoid disadvantageous fights and bait the enemy by having invisible reinforcements nearby (which do not show on the battle initiation pop up).

Their ranged units are bonkers, the secret sauce being their debuff stacks up to three times - you basically want to focus fire units one at a time and they'll simply melt. They're great on their own, help with your biggest weakness (tackling tanks) and make for some of the best Guardian-killers out there.

The flyers are great too, but extremely glass cannon (expect some losses even with micro). Apart from being amazing strategically (invisible warp speed pillagers/pearl thieves/scouts yes please), their strength is in the damage chaining trait. It's very good and easy to trigger, vastly more useful than the sweeps. You'll just melt through the opposing hordes, but take care not to attack fortified armies - even 1 meager point of fortification shuts this ability down and immediately makes them sub-par.

Try to keep them in your secret reinforcement stack - they can catch up to the frontline with their amazing speed and won't have to tank the first salvos.

All three are pretty nice once you get a feel for them, but you probably want to assimilate some tanky minors for garrison duty. Think of their style as high risk, high reward.

PS. You also want to minmax stuff so that pillaging takes just two turns. Then you're money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Honestly, I never really do pillage outside of the Forgotten. For them, however, it's a pretty good deal: it's buffed (both in income and pillaging skill), you're hard to catch (and able to infiltrate closed borders) and lets your units pay for themselves as you build up to your meticulous alpha strike.

The synergy of naval combat is preventing safe seaside retreats of the past. :v: