Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In my experience, they usually ask you to conquer a city on the opposite side of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah they said the stream would show off the next race.

I really hope they've made Horatio more interesting to play than in 1.

Considering that the United Empire plays basically nothing like they did before, that's not unreasonable.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 19, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The idea is that the Horatio are perfecting themselves by using alien genes to turn themselves into perfect people that are better than everyone else.

It kills more and more alien population the more splices you've already done. So the 4th one takes 4 pops, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tech tree has been revamped. It now has four quandrants that advance through tech eras separately. Advancing eras can sometimes unlock new techs automatically. There are also two kinds of possible connections between techs: mutually exclusive techs and soft-prerequisites. Soft-prerequisites give you a significant discount on the the more advanced tech as long as you already have the earlier tech. The example given was one marketplace tech making another one cheaper.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Overminty posted:

The fourth one they did on the stream only used 1 pop, don't know if it's just not been implemented as you say though.

Well, I might have mistook what I saw, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about that penalty. Specifically that you'd have to be careful about the order you splice them in.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Does the new tech tree basically 'force' you to use most of your points for colonization, or did they combine them/era advance unlocks?

They didn't show it in that much detail. I'd imagine they at least combined them though, since they seemed to be aware it was a problem. There also seemed to be much fewer nodes total, although I can't say I was counting.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 19, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I just hope they ease up on Tech 1 ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT stuff. Like a good chunk of the tech tree for level 1 is 100% needed like titanium resource gathering. If it's needed by every single race, why not just open it up to be unlocked once reaching the next level instead of just a standard tech? It's like researching the ability to hit an attack button or use an item button in an RPG. Should just open that tech slot for something more interesting that helps instead of a necessity. I found that I was still researching level 1 tech well into the 2nd era.

Yeah, that was an extremely common complaint so I'd be surprised if they didn't address it. Actually, the new tech tree in general looks an awful lot like what I suggested on their forums, so I'm pretty optimistic in that regard.

The patch just finished downloading though, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just at a glance, there are now only 2 techs per quandrant at tier 1, instead of like 4-5. More options open up as you get deeper, but at least you won't be stuck in tier 1 forever. There also appear to be two chains of colonization techs running down the tree giving each other discounts.

I'll probably have more impressions once I actually play the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, it's basically unplayable right now. I guess it's not optimized or something, but it takes forever to calculate turns, possibly because of all the pirate and civilian ships they added.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They claim it's still in alpha, and that's believable. It's interesting as a preview for what they're attempting, but it's not exactly playable yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The complaint was that one of them isn't Horatio. Actually, five of them aren't Horatio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Will there ever be customizable races in the game? Even just taking an existing template and changing it up?

Yes, but it's not implemented yet. Like most things.

Incidentally, none of the 6 factions we have right now represent the Ecologist ideology (expansion and food production), so presumably a least one of the 2 others will do that. Probably the fan-voted trees.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I absorb every minor faction the turn I meet them, and the pirates still keep spawning. Pretty sure they can also spawn from any system that isn't currently within anyone's detection radius, like they did in ES1.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

How does the manpower stat work in es2? Not sure how it works at empire level

A portion of your surplus food automatically becomes manpower (ie: troops), that first fills up the planet's local defenses and then empire's global stock. Ships automatically draw manpower from the global stock when orbiting a system you control. You then use those troops to invade enemy systems. Basically, if you have low food production it's difficult to keep up an invasion since you'll quickly run out of manpower.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Megazver posted:

Without launching the game to check, uh, select the ship/s you want to move (you might have to hold CTRL to select multiple ships) press the New Fleet button (I believe it's a [ + ] ), then select the two fleets you want to merge, holding CTRL, and press the Merge button.

Hes talking about the in-combat flotillas, not the strategy-level fleets.

Uh... I've never done it but I assume it's in the Advanced tab.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elves are the most vanilla faction: they don't have anything special other than some bonuses to production. Vaulters have the whole Holy Resource thing, which isn't super complicated but might be confusing if you're not used to all the other mechanics yet. I know it was when I first started, all the way back in early access.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

From the description, I have absolutely no clue how the Riftborn will play. They create time bubbles which do... what? Their pops get +5 to all FIDS, like the Vodyani, so presumably they have some bizarre growth mechanic. And what political ideology could they possibly have?

Personally, I'm hoping that they have something cool like they hate all worlds equally but have some mega-terraforming project to turn them into crazy alien worlds that are inhospitable to everyone else. Which would go nicely with the Ecologist ability to settle any world type immediately.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The United Empire quest line requires you to side with an internal faction of humans, which include the old ES factions, like Sheridyn and Mezari. Presumably the Empire includes all of the other ones.

Horatio is also human, technically.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

The Mezari are a subfaction of the Vaulters, and the Mezari are what the Endless Space universe now calls humans, so there... are.

In ES2, the Mezari are considered a subfaction of the UE.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tulip posted:

So I'm on track to winning my 2nd game as UE, so I feel like I've got a handle for them at some level, but every time I play Sophons, I faceplant. Hard. I feel like the UE can do in 20 turns what the Sophons do in 60. It doesn't inspire confidence that in the UE game, I punched up against a Sophon ~30% higher score than me and walked all over them compared to fighting a Vodyani that was 20% lower than me. Any Sophon specific suggestions?

There hasn't been anything resembling a balance pass yet, so it's pretty likely that the Sophons are just weaker. That said, the basic strategy with them is to snipe game-changing technologies as early as possible. Prior to the tech tree revamp, this generally meant going after colony development ASAP, since being able to get +50 per turn of anything within the first dozen turns of the game is pretty miraculous, and doesn't require extra production to take advantage of. It's possible that the tech tree revamp made this less powerful though, since it's easier for anyone to shoot for that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 21, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think that's a bug, it's just a weird quirk of the way the temporary tech tier levels from the Scientist Force Law work.

Anyway, I just played a quick game and I seemed to do okay with the Sophons. Beelined for system development and explored as fast as possible for a good luxury resource. I actually got pretty unlucky and the first two resources I found were both totally useless, but then I found a cluster of Eden Essence or whatever it's called that gave me +50 Influence per turn for each system. Then I just bought up every single minor faction on the turn I met them and snowballed.

The main thing to remember about science is that it doesn't give you extra production, at least not quickly. Having a billion buildings and ship hulls that you can't use is completely pointless, so you want to aim for techs with passive effects that you can put into use almost immediately. Other than system development, good candidates would be things like colonization techs and planetary exploitation (because they don't cost any more to build as they upgrade). Probably in that order too: colony ships are cheap, but exploitations are kinda worthless until you have a larger population.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, so the main gimmick of the Riftborn is that they don't grow with food at all. You have to manually build each population (and also troops). The cost increases each time, so it can take forever to fill up a system with bots, time that you're not building anything else. That said, they get +5 to everything but food and don't care about food so it's kind of worth it. A particularly annoying part of playing them though is that other species on their planets can grow with food, and often you'll be racing with them to fill up your planets. Your homeworld starts with another species too, like everyone else.

They're Industrialists by default.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

How do pillars time bubbles work?

You build them in systems, taking less than 1 turn each. As in, they don't interrupt your production at all, but you still need to wait a turn to use them. They also cost dust and strategic resources, depending on exactly which one you're making. Once you have them (up to 3 at a time), they appear in a stockpile in the upper left corner and you just click on them to deploy them on any system you want. It doesn't matter which system you build them in, they're always go to the same global stock.

The basic ones are just plus or minus FIDS, but the more advanced ones (you research them in the science/exploration tree) do bizarre things, like allow you to have the benefits of a building that's currently under construction, or teleport any ship that leaves the system back to the system and replay battles you lost. The most advanced one is a complete time stop: no production, and any ship that enters the system can't leave until it's over. Honestly though, I always felt that +25% FIDS was just too good to pass up for any of the weirder, more tactical ones. It's easier to leverage a bigger fleet than it is to make good strategic use of offensive time bubbles, imo. The higher level ones also got pretty expensive. Like, 15k dust and 15 of each resource a pop.

Maybe I was just using them wrong, but eventually they just felt like busywork, since he +FIDS ones would keep expiring and I'd have to renew them.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 24, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Willfrey posted:

ES2 Horatio appear bugged. I can colonize every planet right off the bat.

Edit: I am dumb. Never had ecologists laws before.

Oh, they start Ecologist now? Last patch they started Religious, which kind of makes sense for who they are but also makes no sense in the gameplay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tulip posted:

D and I started 1 jump apart, and when his influence borders started intruding on my capital's borders I basically decided it was war because he was going to very rapidly swallow my core system peacefully and drowned him in robots. It was fun fighting an opponent who adjusted and adapted their weapon systems to what I was using, as opposed to the AI's near complete randomness.

I noticed that the AI actually does adapt in the latest patch. My usual strategy of all lasers, all the time, was quickly met by enemy fleets with 100% energy defenses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cis Lord posted:

Got endless space (first one). I keep on getting rocked in combat, and I'm really not sure why. I'm a little confused on how to build up my ships. I'm playing as Harmony if that makes a difference.

My unbeatable secret technique is to give them 3 lasers, 1 of each defense module, and then hit the Auto-Upgrade button so it fills in the rest at the same ratio. The AI can't handle all lasers, and you have decent defensive coverage. It probably doesn't have to be lasers, I'm sure kinetics would work too, but I like lasers.

Also I don't fight wars until I have level 2 everything, which is simple enough to research in a hurry after you've already been attacked. Although I guess Harmony is encouraged to have a standing fleet more than the others.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cis Lord posted:

I"m also having trouble with ES1. I'm not some dumb South hating idiot so I don't need anyone to explain things that were in the tutorial for me. My number one problem is that I have no idea what the victory condition is. In Endless Legend the quest nudged you towards your victory condition, but here there isn't even a hint. After 100 turns I'm winning by score, but I have no idea what i should be trying to achieve.

The victory conditions of ES1 are all just to have big numbers. Earn the most dust over the course of the game, own the most stars, research everything. That kind of thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That was the original fan suggestion. Because, you know, fan suggestions. My assumption was that the developers were just taking the basic idea of pacifist trees that grow their ships and starting from there. Does anyone know what the original Cultist suggestion looked like?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The vote happened way before that, before anyone really knew how the game played at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

I've about 9 hours under my belt after buying ES2 on Friday and couple things, 1) the penalties for not taking a truce are probably a little steep and 2) Invasions are loving brutal and retreating doesn't work, is this a known bug? Other than that its an Endless 4x alright. :v:

But the invasion thing is just brutal. I was at war with Horatio and decided to invade two of his systems at ~2:1 odds, eventually take one system and the other (homeworld, might be why it was able to replenish manpower so effectively) just ground me down until I said gently caress it and, after retreating a couple turns in a row (I do love that you can't retreat BEFORE the combat) just pulled the ships out and apparently left the last of the invasion troops to die.

1) They want wars to be shorter and less apocalyptic unless you have an overwhelming advantage over the enemy.

2) The troops are dropped on the planet when the invasion starts and are no longer associated with the ships. That's actually not a bad thing because it means your fleet can go back for reinforcements while they're still fighting (use guerilla warfare to minimize losses while you're waiting). The enemy is replenishing their manpower by using the option that converts permanently converts citizens into troops. They're basically fighting tooth and nail to save their homeworld at any cost. Personally I like to wait until I have tanks to invade anyone, since they have a Rock-Paper-Scissors advantage against Infantry and games tend to end before anyone researches their weakness (Aircraft). You can fiddle with your troops in the military tab.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glidergun posted:

You're in luck, the Epistis (a minor faction) have that flavor in ES2, and Environmentalist governments get the "colonize EVERYTHING right out the gate" ability.

It's not the same though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tulip posted:

Each ship can store up to 2 probes, which regenerate automatically on a timer, and can send them out in any direction. The probes reveal a radius around them, and travel for a few turns before they stop sending intel home. Once you've revealed a new star you can order any ship to travel to it and it'll take the fastest known route.

Actually you can dump as many probes as you like into the design, it just makes the ship more expensive to build and have less weapons/engines. There are also some upgraded probe technologies that hold more or regenerate them faster.

Baronjutter posted:

So after putting a few hours in there's still a lot I don't feel I get or am not sure how to handle optimally.

Happiness. I can never quite predict it and each system seems all over the place. My capital is always at 100%, my 1st colony a research based system is in the 80's, and a nearly identical in every way 3rd colony is at 30%. Random other systems hover between 20% and 70%. Yes, i know, you mouse over and it gives you a huge list of why but I don't understand half of them. There seem to be hidden penalties to happiness from planets, plus explicit anomalies that give penalties or bonuses. There's also a political angle which I have not begun to crack, plus minor races which add bonuses or maybe penalties depending on their ideology? maybe?

Each race seems to have a set ideology, my humans are all industrialists. Because I have a lot of other races in my empire I'd assume in elections it would match that. 5 industrialists plus 3 environmentalists should give 5 industrialist votes and 3 enviro votes right? No? I don't know how this works. Every system has a load of bar graphs but there's no mouse-over detail explaining what any of it means. Everything I build or do has an attached ideology to it. Doing those things make them happy? Makes the ideology more attractive? but ideology seems set per-species, I've never seen a human go from industrialist to scientist because I built a ton of labs. Yet every unhappy system is unhappy due to a -15 penalty due to no faction representation in government or something?

Being an Industrialist just means that the population is more affected by things that boost the Industrialist score and less affected by Ecologist boosts. They won't suddenly "switch" to any other faction, they'll just be Industrialists who vote Science because you built a bunch of labs there. Basically it encourages you to try to do things that match the political philosophy you want. Different governments also work somewhat different: in particular Dictatorships can easily make your entire population hate you simultaneously.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Ahhh you need to be level 2 to move people, ok that'll do it I've been holding off selecting which luxury until I unlock more and see which i like. The selection seems really unbalanced. +50 food is useless, +50 science is nice, +50 influence??? Per turn? My capital only makes 56 a turn and my empire makes 101 all together. +50 per system seems insanely unbalanced. The choices don't seem very balanced at all. I could see if it was a choice between +50 food and +10 influence maybe (I'd still go influence) but dang. Am I missing something ?

You want to get +50 anything ASAP, except maybe manpower or trade. Having 50 food or industry is an insane jumpstart. Remember that these things are practically free to build on fresh new colonies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

you're in luck, you are going to auto resolve 100% of your fights

It's actually a design decision to make auto-resolve always have the same outcome as watching the battle. IE: the only you thing you do is set a strategy before it starts.

Elendil004 posted:

It took me to turn 100 in my first ES2 run to realize I could just fly through the space and not have to use the hyperlanes or whatever they are.

That's actually a technology you have to research.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah but population caps pretty fast unless you're settling huge sterile worlds in the early game

You should be settling huge sterile world ASAP because population is the key to everything in this game. It depends a bit on which faction you're playing, but having insane food growth is amazing. A late game tech also converts all the surplus food into production, which speeds up the tedious endgame considerably.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dictatorships could force the switch, but then everyone would hate them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hyperium Probes increase the vision range of the scout ship itself, I think. I loaded up a ship with only probes (no engines even), and it could see about as far as its probes could fly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's the "Gameplay Affinity" dropdown menu. These guys are Sophons with the traits tweaked.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Hoping it's the vaulters. Curiously absent.

Hope it's not. Vaulters are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm in the very late game and still no option to build trade HQ, don't see it in the tech list or maybe I'm missing it? Seems weird when so many empires have trade related bonuses that it only comes into play in the end?

You probably just missed it. It's a third tier tech in the economy section.