Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm, Unfallen for my first playthrough, I think.

Anyway I bought Endless Legend on a whim and dived in without knowing much about it, and I've had a great time gradually working out that it is a work of sci-fi rather than just weird fantasy....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Avasculous posted:

There's actually a cool narrative thread that connects all of the games.

Dungeon takes place thousands of years before EL, which takes place thousands (?) of years before ES.

Dungeon and EL are both set on the world Auriga, which is actually an abandoned Endless research laboratory. The monsters (Endless experiments) you encounter in Dungeon later populate the surface along with the Endless invention Dust (nanomachines), becoming the fantasy monsters and 'magic' of EL.

The Vaulters in EL are descended from the protagonists of Dungeon and the robot medic narrates their questline, which is about building a ship to escape the dying world and becoming the ES Vaulters.

Auriga is primordial in Dungeon, 'dying' in EL, and a lifeless rock in ES.

Ok, that makes sense. So the vaulters are descended from the Dungeon guys, who are mk 1 humans from Earth? And Endless Space 2 is another look at the same point on the timeline as ES1, rather than a direct sequel...?

Also seconding the amazing factions in EL. I love that the crazed pain cultists are also the science guys, and that the elves are the industrial faction.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Cease to Hope posted:

Horatio and Sophons. Cravers don't really have a resource gimmick but they have to be wide instead of tall.

Trust the Endless series to cast a faction consisting entirely of clones of a hyper-narcisistic genius trillionaire as the "normal" faction.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In Legend, it helps that you have about 80 points worth of traits to play with, while the real factions only use about 60 of those points. (I'm currently playing as the Chill Mages, which is the Ardent Mages with ~24 pts of extra happiness and Dust thrown on top. I am so bad at this game, but love it dearly.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've attempted four games, and each time started next door to Cravers and down the road from the Vodyanoi. They are NOT GOOD NEIGHBOURS for a completely new player to have, apparently.
Anyway, it's been a lot of fun. The Sophon quest has some great stuff in it!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I had a quick look at the GalCiv wiki to see what everyone was complaining about, and... yeah. Looks like there's a money faction and a science faction and a bad guys faction and a generic balanced human faction. Compare that with EL's "science guys who are also cultist pain wizards" and "honorable warriors who are also vampires crossed with haunted suits of armour, but with Persian aesthetics."

Incidentally, does ES2 do a reasonable job of choosing those auto-suggested technologies? I'm still learning the game and the tech wheel thing is pretty overwhelming, and its hard to know which techs are essential. If any.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Deleter posted:

I have a Google Doc lying around somewhere about how I wanted the Sowers gimmick to be a single pop that never grows but can terraform worlds into paradises that lure other faction's citizens to go live on them instead, like a really belligerent gardener that wants everyone to look at his Dust begonias. Building a colony ship is replaced with sending out another Sower to another system to repeat the process.

That sounds amazing. You should track down that file!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Deleter posted:

Okay, I found it. I'll paraphrase what I've got since I don't know if anyone wants to read my rambling bullshit.

So this is entirely dependent on if/how the game implements migration in any way, but the Sowers Affinity would be that every time they complete a building on a star system or terraform a planet, that star system becomes Attractive, which will lure non-native populations to travel to your worlds. The timing of the buff can be reset and kept perpetually up if you get enough industry, and the strength of that buff can be increased through techs. There might also be some options for kicking out unwanted populations.

A Sower population never grows, provides food if no improvements are in the build queue, and provides industry when something is. There can only ever be one per system, and building a colony ship spawns a new Sower pop instead of consuming the pop. This is essentially a planet-bound Vodyani Ark. Sower pops are ecologists primarily, with some religious and industrialist leanings.

Starting party is, of course, Ecologists.

A Sower turning up is a galactic event. It lands in a system and begins to convert it to a paradise for the Endless. It doesn't communicate, and it doesn't seem to care if people move in. It just works and works and works. The Empire's dispossed and political enemies flee to these planets to seek a new life and encounter a wonder-land of dust-powered post-scarcity bordering on sheer magic. When the enforcers turn up to extradite these traitors, the Sower blossoms into a host of ships like dandelion seeds, obliterates the incoming danger, and reforms to continue the work.

I imagine they'll have some kind of immigration-to-attractive-worlds system eventually; it'd fit perfectly with a lot of their current systems.
But yeah, the idea of a faction of paradise worlds inhabited by those fleeing from war and tyranny is too good to pass up-- although this being an Endless game, the devs would probably add some odd quirk or other, as they don't seem to like unambiguously Good factions.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Interesting. When a pop "leaves," do they actually reappear on some other planet, or is that pop just gone (presumably scattered among many other planets)?

I've just tried (and failed) my first Riftborn game. I like having fast ships, a big collection of different species and lots of influence to throw around which, as it turns out, is not a great fit for the Riftborn....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HundredBears posted:

He does need to win an election, otherwise he'll have to wait forever to get the political experience to have three scientist laws to run.

I had this thread and the US politics thread open at the same time, and got terribly confused for a moment.

Anyway, regarding the Endless and Lost quest line where you need to orbit beacon systems- am I missing something? The way the quest is written seems to be hyping it as some galaxy-shattering event, but I'm finding it hard to care about the whole thing. Am I insufficiently immersed in Endless Lore, or is there a whole bunch of background info I've missed out on somewhere along the line...?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yes, I've done it the same way; I doubt it's possible without Democracy. It probably helps if you absorb some Sophons or Z'Vali early on to get some more Science votes sloshing around.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Looks like there is an update for ES2 on the way that will shake up diplomacy, alliances, pirates, weapon balance and the impacts of the academy quest. Eg, you can drop "attack here" and "defend here" pings on the map that allies can see; the AI will place and respond to them too. Sounds like a lot of stuff that the game really needs.

They've also got a "write the Unfallen population quest" competition up at the moment, so you might like to give that a go. (Alternatively, vote for my dreadful contribution, "seeds of treason.")

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, they need to fix the pirates. As the Lumeris, I shouldn't be grateful that I have Space Vampires and Genocidal Space Insects next door as a buffer from pirates! It's Amplitude though, so they're generally pretty quick with this sort of thing.
I've been playing a bit of Civ 5 in between ES2, and Civ is so much clearer and more... helpful?... than ES2. I feel like there is a lot for my brain to chew on in ES2, which I love, but it takes forever to work out that terraforming is not always good, or how trade routes work, or how to make fleets not suck.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not sure it's a game that can be learned quickly- all the nice music and art is there to make the horrifying learning experience as pleasant as possible!

Anyway, the tech wheel is certainly daunting. I guess the general rule is to keep each quadrant roughly balanced, to not neglect the earlier techs when the shiny expensive later ones come available, and to be aware of a handful of key technologies: the one that lets you hire heroes, the one that lets you found a trade route, the free movement tech. Oh who am I kidding, they're all important.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, it's weird that the pirates act way more like the Cravers than the Cravers themselves.
I quite like the challenge of the pirates, but the AI does seem uniquely bad at handling them. Maybe the devs need to smuggle a combat bonus for AI vs pirates into their code somewhere...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I get the feeling that pirate bases never change the design of their ships (I could be wrong though.) So once you grab a hard counter for whatever they're carrying, things get much friendlier.

Here's another question that I can't settle on- is it best to have your starting hero as a governor, or as an unkillable scout admiral...?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Krinkle posted:

If you put them into a city they will do gently caress all until turn 20 when they level up once. If you put them in space and probe the poo poo out of anomalies you can throw them back into the city once they reach 3 soon after turn 9 and actually get some use out of them.

Okay, that makes sense. Those early skills are pretty meh until they start stacking up.

Incidentally, does anyone else get the impression from the Lumeris loading screen art that the huge fat frog guy has just asked a deeply gross and highly specific favour of the nervous skinny fish man...? It's sort of unsettling.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What? That can't be right. Auriga is a flourishing wonder-filled Utopia under the benevolent rule of the Drakken. It's got moss pearls and chromatic lands and everything.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The whole colonisation thing really highlights what a pain this game is to learn. (Much as I like it.)
You have to build a settler ship, and stick it on a planet you have the tech to colonise, then make sure pirates and enemies don't eat the little food ships that get sent out, and click the double-arrow symbol on the colony to make sure they're being sent from the right planet, and choose the outpost options to speed things up, and eventually the planet will be yours, probably, at which point you'll realise that the extra planet has pushed your approval over the edge and the extra population has increased the Influence cost of one of your shiny Laws too much and now you can't trade with anyone.
Unless you're Unfallen or Lumeris or Vods or whatever...
On that note, I'm okay with the Walkers having more generic mechanics. They were an important part of the learning process for me!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TsarZiedonis posted:

I'm in the second part of the academy quest and half of my four member alliance went religious, the other half science. There's no way I'm breaking out of my alliance (the galaxy is basically in a 4v4 of good guys vs bad) just to drive some leaders onto lodestones for some dumb quest.

I guess this means the AI will just leave lesser fleets orbiting the sites uselessly until I conquer every capital planet.

I've had this problem too- the easiest way around it is to get the tech that lets you turn mercenaries into privateers and go "eject" your allies that way. (It helped that my ally only had token scout fleets on the lodestones, though...)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My next question for the thread is:

I'm glad your question was answered, because that was bugging me too. It really really is Amplitude.txt, isn't it- two fascinating mechanics paired with genuinely interesting lore and a DELIBERATELY MISLEADING DESCRIPTION FOR NO REASONNNNN.

On that note, I'd love to be able to help you out, Vodyani Quest Dude, but I've never been able to get more than a few turns into Vod or Craver games because I like at least a pretense of being the Good Guys...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There had better be one of these for each faction...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
So if I have a doom planet filled with cravers that I am chain-ganging as fast as possible, and they start leaving the system because its at Mutinous, will they appear in other systems, spreading the depletion plague as they go? Or am I better off just shipping them to completely filled planets in the hope they'll remain in orbit forever, waiting for a free slot that will never arrive?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's times like this I remember that ES2 came from a French studio. I think it might be some weird gallic humour thing. All the building and resource-related quests are super easy; the real challenge lies in getting the idiot government you nominally control to do what you actually want....
Regardless, setting pirates to "weak" on the starting menu made this game twice as enjoyable.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
it took me way too long to realise that the Argosy acts as a mobile portal. That would have really sped up my horrible two-front war.
Also, has anyone had any luck with boarding pods yet? Growing fleets with captured ships might be a fun way to keep a war rolling along.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A few tiers of Boarding Pods are available for every faction, as well as a weirdly useless-looking "+10% defence against boarding pods" module.
They may need some balancing- I sent a small attack-class ship to defend against three small attack-class pirates in a sort of hopeless last-ditch defence- and my ship captured all three enemies in about twenty seconds. So I now have a northern fleet, which is nice.
Vaulters are just incredibly, awesomely fun to play; I keep finding myself in these horrible multi-front wars and end up teleporting one or two battle-scarred fleets from one end of my empire to another whenever enemies are incoming. (With the added benefit of being able to replace all my ships' engine modules with more shooty things.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It took me quite a while to work out you could burn luxuries in Endless Legend, and about a year to work out you could burn multiple hits of the one Luxury simultaneously...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That sounds great. If nothing else you can pretend you are simply bringing the Internet to all those planets...
What other rad custom races are there? I always get too overwhelmed by the options to even try making one.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If I had time and any sort of artistic ability, I'd photoshop Horatio's face over all the dudes in that famous "Oath of the Horatii" painting...

But yes, the Vaulter comic is pretty grim when you consider that being eaten is the best outcome for anyone who loses a fight with Necrophages.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why am i next to the cravers and vodyani every single loving game

does the placement of a civ in the "pick opponents" section of starting a new game actually matter for their placement in the galaxy? i have literally never started next to the unfallen or horatio

If anyone has an answer to this, I'd love to hear it. Perennial Vod/Craver neighbours are no fun.
The only time that hasn't happened to me is when I played Horatio, and set all my opponents as Horatio, which resulted in the most beautiful galaxy imaginable. (Am considering an all-Craver hellwar galaxy for the next round.)

Incidentally, has anyone worked out where the Vodyani accent comes from? It's sort of a weird New Zealand-Transylvanian-British hybrid.
Even in HOly WAR, diPLOmacy reMAINS an OPtion.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The ES2 site has voting up for a new faction. They're adding a new espionage-based race and are getting the community to vote on what the faction looks like, what their home planet is like, what their backstory is etc etc.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

calusari posted:

...It feels like I am lurching from crisis to crisis though...

Lurching from crisis to crisis is the most fun part of the game, for me. There's something very space-opera-ish about throwing every trick you can think of at a Dust shortfall, having a few turns of smugness at your own brilliance, and then of course, the slowly dawning horror of the realisation that you're bleeding Influence or Manpower or Happiness or whatever....
Sometimes, all the moving parts in the game line up just right, and you get a genuinely interesting storyline coming together!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mjolnerd posted:

Anyone have any luck using the AOE Blast weapon?

I found that once I equipped it, I had a much harder time taking down other carriers/arks.

I thought the AoE weapon was specifically meant for wiping out a whole lot of small ships at once, and can't really handle the big guys.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Got the Untold Tales pack. The game was nice enough to spawn four of the new Minor Factions quite close to my homeworld, so I was able to assuage my curiosity early on! If you enjoy getting the most out of population placement, you'll like the new Minors.
I've also seen one of the new heroes and one of the new quests, wherein my Nris population was complaining about the lack of convenient bathrooms for octopoids. My sentient tree-people had to upgrade a couple of systems to accomodate them. It was a very ES2 sort of moment...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Warmachine posted:

I just fired it up the other day to try out Vaulters for the first time, and it feels much more nuanced now. My game has devolved into a Great Galactic War where two alliances are at war over the core of the galaxy, and there are 3+ battles taking place every turn. I'm very low on manpower right now because there has been so much fighting.

Yeah, playing as Vaulters in the Great Galactic War is always really fun- teleporting your death fleet from system to system as the enemies close in...

Incidentally, what are the best galaxy generation settings for really big, really nasty wars? Is it better to under-populate the galaxy to make the ai stronger, or really crowd it to kick off tensions early......?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aaagh. I need to secure one last node to end the academy quest in ES2... but my UE ally parked a settler ship on it. So I despatched a privateer fleet to deal with this problem discretely; but apparently the Empire had secured a non-aggression agreement with the pirates just before the pirate faction was wiped out.
So I have to either embark on a very nasty war, or forego the kickin' rad academy quest bonuses, all for one stupid half-dead settler ship parked on a star it can't even use. I love these dilemmas....

Incidentally Mokinokaro, what's your av from? It's sort of hypnotic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Shortest Path posted:

I keep trying to get into Endless Legend and Endless Space 2 but I'm just not getting them to click, I dunno what it is.

It might be that I just can't play 4x games unless they make me personally invested in people like CK2 does.

It's quite hard to weave a compelling story around ES2 governors, for sure. In Endless games, it seems to be the music and the art that suck you in.
(After that- for me, anyway- the "click" comes from optimising slots and populations, and after that, the grand rhythm of lurching from one crisis to the next, each disaster spawned by how I handled the previous screw up...)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Strategic Tea posted:

That's interesting - as much as I love them I always felt the opposite about the endless games. I often feel like I'm running totally unopposed by disasters or by the other empires. When I lose it's not so much that I'm losing to the AI as that they're winning faster than me, if that makes any sense?

Maybe I just need to crank the difficulty up :v:

Yeah, I absolutely know what you mean. But, going overboard on the RP side of things certainly helps generate new and exciting disasters...!

On that note, I just can't finish a game as Cravers or Vods. I need to feel like the good guys! Kind of sad, I know...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, I'm looking forward to finding out what this next expansion will actually involve- there have been zero hints so far.
I'm glad they've gone with the user-submitted poll for espionage faction names, because the names Amplitude came up with were baaaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Amplitude really are the best, aren't they...