Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So i picked up Endless legend recently and ive been running into some issues with the game and i was wondering if this thread could help. Im currently playing as vaulters to feel the game out so some faction specific advice probably applies but general advice is welcome as well.

1. Im getting lost in the tech tree after the first era. I know to get mills, mints, libraries and seed stores as well as waiting on upgraded weapons for era two but after that im lost.

2. Unlike civ I noticed that there is no 'produce science/wealth/food/faith/etc." option for the production tab so when ive built all the buildings I want and have all the military units I need I have no idea what to do with my cities. I feel like this is just down to me not researching new buildings fast enough but I could be missing something a lot bigger here.

3. How exactly should I be expanding? I feel like I should be spamming settlers in order to gobble up territory but it also feels like im hilariously overextending.

4. When should I interact with the ocean and what should my approach be there. The ocean regions seem laughably hard to defend without permanently garrisonning everything but im not sure im gaining that much if I do that.

5. I have no idea how im supposed to interact with the pearl mechanic.

6. I dont understand what im supposed to be doing with minor factions. I usually just assimilate the one with the best bonus and ignore their military units. I know the morgwar need to rely on them for their ground foces but i dont know what to look for in their units (other than daemons=good rear end units) or if it even matters to the other factions.

7. How much should I be focusing on legendary deeds? Im guessing i just ignore them unless I see an easy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
As a new player I've been having a lot of fun with the Kapaku. The creep spreading aspect to them is helping me get a bit of a handle on the expansion aspect of the game and the golem camps have given me a much larger margin for error on my settle locations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One thing I wish you could do with Kapaku is convert an entire region to volcanic without having to lay down a bunch of volcanoformers manually. I don't even care if it happens slowly, I just find the creep spreading to be a bit tedious once you're just filling out the region for city districts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it worth picking up Endless Space 2 if i'm already all in on Stellaris? I enjoyed Endless Legend quite a bit but I'm not sure how much room I have in my life for space 4x games.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there something wrong with penumbra? I was looking at picking up everything in one swoop but its got some heinous user reviews.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Clarste posted:

The hacking system isn't great, and the new faction revolves completely around it. So if you find hacking annoying, then picking up the expansion is kind of an overall detriment to your gameplay experience.

The new faction sounded really cool just from the description on the store page. What wrong with the hacking?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The unit designer in EL made more sense anyway, you had a few weapon choices per unit and even then they had different versions that all boiled down to "the damage one", "the fast one" and "the one that doesn't use a strategic resource".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also isn't every 4x/grand strategy game ultimately about the player taking the role of a highly centralized autocratic god figure that centrally plans every aspect of their respective civilization? Trying to make a game in the genre where you don't centrally plan everything (i.e. have the player controlling everything) seems both pointless and likely to result in an extremely boring game where there isn't enough player agency to actually engage with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Paradox Games would like a word with you

Ck2 is more of a character rpg at this point so I guess it would be the exception but EU4, Stellaris, and HoI4 all have the player centrally planning their country/space empire.

I never played Vicky 2 so maybe thats different.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

wologar posted:

I like Tempest. Morgawr are the coolest.

:same:

Also I think most of these problems could be solved with a Paradox style rules screen when you set up a game that lets you toggle certain mechanics on and off or change how prevalent they are.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wish that the Endless games had a Crusader Kings style rules screen that let you enable or disable some mechanics without having to actually disable the entire dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Perhaps it would work better if you switched fewer times per game. I always felt like I never really got enough time as each culture before it was time to switch.