Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yep. I'm happy to support Amplitude, but I'm really regretting installing Penumbra. You have to wonder if "this isn't actually fun" came up during beta testing at all.
I'd uninstall it, but Cloaking is pretty cool at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The extra art and music makes it OK for me. I'm a huge fan of their whole aesthetic and ethos.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, EL spies I appreciate as they may not be fun-as-in-joyful, but I appreciate how they're a great way to take down someone much bigger than yourself. Spending 350 dust as a down investment into turbo-loving the game leader 50 turns from now is always appealing. Especially enemy cultists.

Probably makes much more sense in a multiplayer environment?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Trying to make the Umbral Choir tolerable, I have a GUI question.

Is there any way at all to speed up expeditions? I've found the advanced game setup option to double animation speed (weird that it's in gamesetup, but I can guess why). But I think that just speeds up the probes, uncertain at double speed. Does it (or anything else) eliminate the message lag where I open up the result and have to wait a moment for the result to appear?

I'm getting fed up with the hundreds of probes I do because my stealthy scouts go everywhere- i'm thinking of just going autoexplore, and then I see some of the weird behavior there, but I can live with giving up on probing stuff.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

LordSloth posted:

Is there any way at all to speed up expeditions? I've found the advanced game setup option to double animation speed (weird that it's in gamesetup, but I can guess why). But I think that just speeds up the probes, uncertain at double speed. Does it (or anything else) eliminate the message lag where I open up the result and have to wait a moment for the result to appear?

I'm getting fed up with the hundreds of probes I do because my stealthy scouts go everywhere- i'm thinking of just going autoexplore, and then I see some of the weird behavior there, but I can live with giving up on probing stuff.

You can fire off all the probes in your inventory before the first screen pops up and then read them all at once by just clicking on every anomaly quickly. Click on the top-most one each time and later anomalies on that planet will get moved upwards. This sometimes leads to a little waste (if you get the 'explore all curiosities' bonus) but on the other hand, who cares.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LordSloth posted:

When the notification comes up, press up and then down on your keyboard. Doing this interrupts the animation on any notification and when you go back it will be in it's final state. Annoying but it works.

I got into the habbit of rapidly scrolling through all notifications like this every turn, and also never dismissing them just going through them with the keyboard.

E: I also recommend disabling auto popup on ALL notifications, including combat ones. That poo poo gives me a headache. It's especially important to do it for the probe notifactions so you can just click on each planet quickly until you are out of them, THEN look at the notifications.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blogs/665-the-future-of-endless-space-2-a-new-faction-with-old-friends

The next ES2 expansion is being farmed out the guys who made the last two EL expansions.

"Like all Expansions for Endless Space 2, this one will come with a core feature accessible to all factions, and a new major faction to accompany it."

Yeah I think I'm done with this game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Amethyst posted:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blogs/665-the-future-of-endless-space-2-a-new-faction-with-old-friends

The next ES2 expansion is being farmed out the guys who made the last two EL expansions.

"Like all Expansions for Endless Space 2, this one will come with a core feature accessible to all factions, and a new major faction to accompany it."

Still better than the expansions Firaxis churned out for Civ. :smith:

Cautiously optimistic for now.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Lavapeople and Plantpeople were pretty good so I'm comfortable in seeing what they come up with for ES2. Hopefully this means that EL2 is going to be in development now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

I mean, isn't that what every expansion is? A new race and some new buttons?

And this sounds cool:

quote:

Rather than leading a vigorous young civilization reaching out toward the stars, the player will be fighting to restore an ancient, declining faction; this people is dreaming of their past glory and striving to recapture it. They will start out much stronger than other empires, but will have to struggle to stay ahead — or even keep up. Like Rome after the fall, they are full of potential but are held back by the weight of their own culture.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That sounds pretty cool- starting out with a bunch of planets and struggling to hold them together, rather than the standard pattern of starting with one planet and ramping up.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I mean, isn't that what every expansion is? A new race and some new buttons?

And this sounds cool:

I don't have any problems with a new race but both of the "new buttons" features have made the game worse, imo. Also core systems like AI have languished horribly. The AI seems incapable of playing the vodyani on even a basic level and REALLY seems incapable of waging war past turn 100.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Amethyst posted:

I've not bought the last two EL expansions. What's so wrong with them, or the idea of new factions & mechanics? Is it the idea that they're too closely intertwined, so that the race is pigeonholed and the mechanic is lane to other races? (LOOKING AT YOU, MORGAWR) Or what?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Serephina posted:

I've not bought the last two EL expansions. What's so wrong with them, or the idea of new factions & mechanics? Is it the idea that they're too closely intertwined, so that the race is pigeonholed and the mechanic is lane to other races? (LOOKING AT YOU, MORGAWR) Or what?

The farming out isn't what made me negative, more the fact that there is nothing about improving core systems, and that they are adding a new core mechanic.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I hate to break it to you man, but that's how games are made nowadays with big studios. What ships is what you're getting, there's no loving way they're retooling the game from the ground up to please a populace they've already gotten money (and reviews!) out of.

Expansions are new content. Maybe wait for ES3 if you want 'same, but fixed'.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Serephina posted:

I hate to break it to you man, but that's how games are made nowadays with big studios. What ships is what you're getting, there's no loving way they're retooling the game from the ground up to please a populace they've already gotten money (and reviews!) out of.

Paradox is definitely a big studio nowadays, and they, for all my qualms with them, aren't really like that.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Serephina posted:

I know plenty of games that were fixed post release. Age of Wonders 3, for example.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Serephina posted:

This is a very ignorant statement.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I picked up Endless Legend during the Steam winter sale and am finally getting around to trying it out. I'm mostly a JRPG player so this is my first real voyage into 4X territory since playing Master of Orion as a little kid. The tutorial was really well done, though, and I felt confident that I could muddle my way through a campaign as the tree dudes. Didn't work out too well. I didn't realize I needed to research talking to new folks so it took me forever to make peace with the local tribes, and it felt like I was just sort of picking things at random. I ended up quitting that campaign when I started getting attacked alot by random wandering monsters and I didn't really have anything in place to fend them off with, plus I felt like I had waited way too long to expand and had picked all the wrong technologies etc. etc.

Tonight I started a game as the Cultists and boy did it click with me. I really like only having one city to worry about, and it feels good converting all these random tribes and making little armies with them that I then use to steamroll and convert more. I'm having a bit of trouble managing my dust because I have so many new units popping up every x turns, so I'm scrambling a bit to cover that, but otherwise things are feeling really good for this campaign.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

Tonight I started a game as the Cultists and boy did it click with me. I really like only having one city to worry about, and it feels good converting all these random tribes and making little armies with them that I then use to steamroll and convert more. I'm having a bit of trouble managing my dust because I have so many new units popping up every x turns, so I'm scrambling a bit to cover that, but otherwise things are feeling really good for this campaign.

Yeah, cultists are not a bad start to figure things out.

I still recommend going back to wild walkers after. They're the closest to bog standard 4x play in the game whereas most other sides have pretty significant quirks. Vaulters are also a solid choice with some pretty big science bonuses, good infantry (though get that tier 2 unit ASAP as it makes your armies much more effective) and the ability to spend resources to teleport armies between their cities.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cultists (imo) are generally not recommended as a babys-first-race due to their opting out of half the gameplay and the added complexity of Conversion. But since you've wrapped your head around them, why not! Protip for Cultist gold dust issues: the huge gold dust deficit comes from -10gpt each extra converted village costs you. It's scary at first, but quickly realize that you can SELL those crappy units to float back the gold dust the village cost you. It's probably very close to net-0 in the end.

Things you might not know:
Buy both halves of the marketplace. One side gives you extra heroes and lets you sell units, the other half lets you buy strategic resources which cultists need very badly.
Shove your Cultist hero in the city if you haven't already. Buy more heroes later for armies.
Earlier techs are way more industry efficient than later techs, so don't feel pressured to buy the new shiny era techs asap.
Speaking thereof, Cultists can't do roads/trading, but they are absolutely degenerate at Stockpiles. Get those techs, truuuust meee.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is there a diagram or something of how district leveling works? I’ve read ‘put them in a triangle’ just about everywhere but I can only seem to set them side by side so I’m confused. I need a visual or something.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Is there a diagram or something of how district leveling works? I’ve read ‘put them in a triangle’ just about everywhere but I can only seem to set them side by side so I’m confused. I need a visual or something.

There are but broadly you need to surround a district with four other districts of the same level for it to level up. People love triangle but I prefer the Stick method; a row of districts side by side extending in both directions. After you hit the minimum threshold you will level a district up every time you place one, unlike Triangle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I did a quick google to try and find something to link, and all that came up was a bunch of bizzare bullshit that looks like someone doing an ARG. So let's ignore those. I've got no gfx skills, but will try to talk it through:

tldr: Triangle is easy to remember and hard to gently caress up. Two-wide-Line is even easier to remember but requires a ~10 seconds forward planning to know in which direction you're expanding.
code:
Triangle:
    X
   X X
  X X X
 X X X X

Line:
X X X X
 X X X X
The rule sounds hard: a district will go to level 2 if it has four or more adjecent districts. In practice, if sticking roughly to the above diagrams, the outside/corner districts will be lvl1 and the inner ones automaticly lvlup to lvl2.
code:
Triangle:
   2 2
  2 2 2
 1 2 2 1

Line:
1 2 2 1
 1 2 2 1
But it's actually kind easy. It's harder to see in text without a proper hex background, but if you squint you can see the lvl2's have four sides with other districts. Simple, really. These shapes are good in that they get as many lvl2 districts as possible, per district built. Which is a big happiness swing for normal cities.

Now this makes the triangle look like a better deal, but in practice Line is (imo) slightly better; a city trying to build into a triangle will spend most of it's life as an imperfect triangle, while a line will inherently always be 'complete'. So they often have the same number of 'lemon' lvl1's.

Importantly, the Line has a much better exploitation (ie the adjecent tiles to the city you get to harvest FIDS from), as the Line has both greater surface area, and will grow towards distant anomalies much faster. To be fair, triangle has arguably an easier time doing things like having the Industrial Megapole complete construction as lvl2 instantly, which is OP as hell.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
One important caveat is that the cult (and only the cult as far as I'm aware) can level up a district to 3. This makes triangle much more attractive for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was gonna bring that up, but after squinting at it a bit I think in the end Line will technically get just as many lvl3's, with if course the perk that line levels them much smoother. But yea, in practice Cultists go Triangle out of neccecity; their cities get so godddamn big that there's no room left in the province.

edit: vvv Awesome, thanks

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 2, 2019

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Shove your Cultist hero in the city if you haven't already. Buy more heroes later for armies.

This is good early when you have few converted villages, but you really want a Necrophage hero with the Slavery civic later on for insane food and industry.

Wrt city shapes, from an old post (e:note that I'm considering the city centeer a district throughout)::

Staltran posted:

Because I have too much time on my hands

Pink is exploitation, blue level 1 district, green level 2, and black level 3. So, to completely overthink things:

Lines with n districts have (for n>3) [...] a total of 2n-4 district levels [for non-cultists]. For cultists, for n>7 lines have [...] a total of 3n-12 district levels. Lines have n+6 exploitations.
A complete triangle with n districts has [...] a total of 2n-3 district levels. For cultists and n>=10, [a complete triangle has] a total of 3n-12 district levels. [a 6-triangle has as many exploitations as a 6-line, at 10 districts 1 less, 3 less at 15, 6 less at 21, etc. Combined with incomplete triangles being less efficient lines should be preferred for cultists, region shape allowing.]

For non-cultists, triangles have one more district level than lines. However, they're a bit awkward to expand on and have less exploitation. I'd suggest not making triangles bigger than 10 districts. For cultists, lines get a second level 3 district a district sooner than triangles, and stay even with completed triangles after that. Lines seem to be strictly better. [assuming region of infinite size here, triangle might be better long term depending on region shape since line bends really hurt district level efficiency for the cult–though it might also be best to start with a line and start expanding it to a triangle when out of space]

At 6 districts the triangle is strictly superior [including cult]. [for non-cult 10-triangle has one more district level and one less exploitation than line, which is also better. For cult it has the same district levels but one less exploitation so it's worse]

Expanding into a line from a 6-triangle seems equivalent to a strict line, and a 6-triangle is better than a 6-line so this nail-on-a-board (can't come up with a good name here) design seems better than an actual line.
Short version: start with a 6-district triangle, then build a 2-district wide line after that. Probably do a bigger triangle instead if region shape doesn't work for a long line.

Side note: for most factions 10 districts is a pretty big city (size 18 without special districts), so it can be good to just plan for a triangle at that district counts and leave it at that rather than investing into more food. Personally I prefer doing lines after the 6-triangle though. e: note though that you only need to commit for going for a 10-triangle instead of transitioning to a line at 9 districts, the seventh and eighth district can be placed so you can do either)

Staltran fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2019

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did they nerf the industrial megapole? I am almost positive the thing was 50/100/150 and not 25/50/75 industry per level.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, it's always been 25/level. You're probably confused since everyone gets it to level 2 asap and so its mentally remembered as always being 50 industry.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just got this game due to the sale. First game I wasnt fumbling the beginning, the nomad people decided to a. market ban me b. have a city that conquering was a quest and c. had the only visible hyperium on the map, so I bisected their nation and declared peace and theres not poo poo they can ever do to get their territory back.

Game owns

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it worth picking up Endless Space 2 if i'm already all in on Stellaris? I enjoyed Endless Legend quite a bit but I'm not sure how much room I have in my life for space 4x games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Is it worth picking up Endless Space 2 if i'm already all in on Stellaris? I enjoyed Endless Legend quite a bit but I'm not sure how much room I have in my life for space 4x games.

They are quite a bit different. Stellaris is so much about making your own faction but ES2 uses quirky premade ones like Legend.

That being said, I do find Legend the better game of the 2. Space 2 is good, but it lacks...something.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there something wrong with penumbra? I was looking at picking up everything in one swoop but its got some heinous user reviews.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there something wrong with penumbra? I was looking at picking up everything in one swoop but its got some heinous user reviews.

The hacking system isn't great, and the new faction revolves completely around it. So if you find hacking annoying, then picking up the expansion is kind of an overall detriment to your gameplay experience.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah I like them both. Can easily be burned out on one and play the other.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Clarste posted:

The hacking system isn't great, and the new faction revolves completely around it. So if you find hacking annoying, then picking up the expansion is kind of an overall detriment to your gameplay experience.

The new faction sounded really cool just from the description on the store page. What wrong with the hacking?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It is really janky to use. You essentially send out "hacks" from one of your systems to an enemy system which take a number of turns to complete. If your hacks pass through enemy systems on the way, they can trace you and ruin your hack. This happens very frequently. When you successfully hack an enemy system you can do something like install a sleeper, which gives you some information about the system (useful I guess) or gain influence with a minor faction. The real meaty hacks require you to hack the AI capital systems, this usually involves your hacks passing through multiple other enemy worlds on its way to the target, each can trace and ruin your hack. These hacks also take a really long time to complete ~ 6 - 10 turns. If you acquire 5 sleepers within an enemy empire, you will begin to siphon some of their FIDSI (good), this has never happened to me as the AI seems to frequently root out the compromised pops. Conversely enemies hacking you seems to work really well. In one game all of my worlds suddenly rebelled and I had no idea why. Turns out that the riftborn toppled my government and all my laws went away.

I think at the very least, you should be able to do most of the stuff that requires a capital system hack, from a normal system, like stealing techs or so on. I would probably pay more attention to it then.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

The new faction sounded really cool just from the description on the store page. What wrong with the hacking?

It's a deep system and people don't get it. As usual, the in-game tutorial about it is not very comprehensive.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think my real problem with hacking is that the progress of a hack and how a system will respond is totally not transparent in the slightest. I have no idea how soon a hack will reach a certain node, I have no idea if any of my aggressive programs are doing anything, and I'm kind of just going with what feels right. I'm sensing a hack out and I know how long it will take to get there, but I don''t know the likelihood of setting off a trace or basically anything I'd want to know. It's bizarrely opaque.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And since it runs on the rarely-used strategic screen, it feels that little bit seperate from the rest of the game- almost like you're playing a second, weird game at ghe same time as ES2...

Anyway I'm trying out the Broken Lords in EL at the moment- they are super fun to play- but am I missing something with the hp stealing ability of their cavalry unit? It 4hp seems like nothing at all.