Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any indication of how the combat in ES2 is shaping up? It seems like the weak point in both ES and EL so that's the part I'm most skeptical of right now. Is the weapon/armor system still a simple RPS system or we got anything else going on really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

It looks like you can pick formations for your ships and the manoeuvres they perform during the fight. That's sort of what I got from a few PAX demo videos though, I'm not really certain if these formations/manoeuvres are just the replacement for their card system, or something else that adds some more variety and choice to a battle.

Yeah the game looks nice visually but I really hope there's some actual meat to the combat/ship design/etc going on somewhere. When a very large portion of your game's conflict is resolved via fleet combat, you'd like to hope that would be something they put a significant amount of effort into making interesting.

Not saying there isn't either, just saying I haven't seen anything like that from the videos I've watched.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah the RPS system from the first game, especially related to researching techs, was just awful. Uninteresting and easy to solve on top of that, and the rest of the game did not tie into it in interesting ways either. I'll be interested to see what they try and do with the new one.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Endless Space 1 was an Early Access game too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

That is the opposite of reassuring.

Legend wasn't an EA thing, was it?

It was. They do EA like 'buy now to get into the Beta and the game releases in like 6 months', not like 'Buy now we just started making the game and it'll never be finished' like most EA is these days.

ES1's problems weren't anything to do with the Early Access model.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh, apparently I missed a whole xpac for EL, how is Shifters? The Allayi look pretty cool, but how about the other new features?

Hopefully it'll go on sale when the new xpac comes out.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It can't be that long from now considering Civ6 is launching Oct 21 and there's no way in hell they want to go up against that.

One thing that kind of annoys me about EL is that there just isn't that much 'normal' music for the game it seems? Like there are a lot of musics in the game but the default cycle for Summer + Non Battle just seems to be like 2-3 songs? There's 41 tracks in the soundtrack, I feel like it should be playing more of them.

Haven't looked at modding for this game before, maybe that's something you can do? :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hope the release being so close to Civ6 doesn't hurt sales, that's a week prior. Looking forward to it, Friday release dates :allears:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm definitely on a 'wait and see' for Civ6 after BE and launch Civ5. It looks pretty good so I'm hopeful, but it's not like I'll have a lack of other 4x stuff to try this month.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'd really like to hear some impressions of the combat system, ship design, and how it ties into research and resources and such.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Clarste posted:

Ship Design is very similar to Endless Legend. You have generic gun/laser/missile/armor/shields that automatically improve with each tech tier (you still have to refit your ships though, like in Endless Legend). However, you can also research "Titanium equipment" which will let you equip improved versions of all those things that use Titanium (or other resources, obviously). I think these also upgrade with tier, but honestly I wasn't researching all that many military techs. Each ship chassis has its own unique configuration of slots. Like, they might have 2 weapon slots and 2 armor slots, but in those weapon slots you can have 2 lasers or 2 guns or mix and match. However, it seems some ships have slots that can only be used for specific weapons. It just depends. There are also utility/support slots but I never actually researched any of those.

Combat itself is incredibly straightforward, even simpler than the original ES. You just choose a tactic and watch it play out, except you only get 1 tactic for the entire battle instead of 3.

That sounds pretty good. Stuff like resources -> weapon balance is one of those things you expect to take some wild reworking during beta testing of course.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

On this note - does Endless Legend add anything in free patches paradox-style, or is all the new content locked behind buying expansions? I have the base game but no DLC, and it's good but not great. I'd like to see if it's a bit better now (and maybe from that point lay down the money for the DLC) but I'm not paying $45 just to try it out.

Just wait a bit, I would be extremely surprised if they didn't go on sale sometime this week.

Also BTW Tempest is up for preorder at 25% off right now.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Seems like it started late and completely unannounced, but there is indeed an Endless Legend sale going on right now on Steam. The game and old xpacs are 75% off.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

F10 hides the whole UI I think?

The best way to find resources in your own territory is to bring up the city list since it shows you all of them, and if they are being extracted or not. But for other places I don't think there's a way to see that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Giving the Allayi a try and I feel like the huge expansion disapproval penalty has made it hard to progress in the faction quest :v: Probably should have beelined the Altar and used gold buyout on it.

Also their heroes seem kind of weird, I have no idea what to do with their faction tree but it seems like getting another hero with actual governing skills is a high priority.

New water mechanics seem really weird so far. Do your units move faster if they are in an army with a boarding vessel? Because it seems like you lose a ton of move speed now going into the water, which is kinda yucky.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Wouldn't be surprised about bugs since there seem to be a few of those floating around in the new version.

There's a really bad one where certain army stacks will constantly get confused about what tile they are actually standing on, which causes them to run in the wrong direction and eat up movement points. Not sure what causes it to happen specifically, my Hero lead stack gets it almost every other turn but my assorted skyfins don't get it at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Safety Scissors posted:

So is the best way to level districts is to build equilateral triangles? What happens when You can't do that?

A 2 hex wide Row style is slightly less efficient but not too far off. Sometimes they're much better if you get a long, narrow region.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that's good news, I was seeing barely any land resources in any of the post-Tempest games I played. Sounds like they might have fixed the bug where your Army path finding gets screwed up randomly too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Overminty posted:

New battle mechanics are in. Cards are back but you now arrange them into a deck. Looks like you can have 5 in said deck. There's a cooldown between swapping cards out but you can pay influence to bypass it. The battle setup now let's you arrange your ships into flotillas, so you can mix up long range, short etc.

There's a scan view in battle now. Lines represent ships trajectory and you can see their targets. Not sure entirely how useful this will be.

Hrm, gonna have to take a look at this later to see how it all works. The combat system (especially in regards to how it plays into ship design and strategic resources) has been the biggest thing I've been worried about with this game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If anyone gets a chance to play it, I'd love to hear what they think about the new combat system and how it ties into the rest of the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Serephina posted:

-Combat is bland? I auto-resolved everything. Even watching the AI play it out is too drat slow. What he said.

Stupid pro-tip about this. You can actually set the animation speed of combat ... but only in the game setup options when you are starting a new game. I highly recommend something like 3-4x speed, because the default is aaaaaaaaaaawful.

Combat in this game tends to be about 90% auto-resolve for sure though. But you can actually do some interesting stuff on some occasions with it, or at least significantly improve on what the auto-combat would get you. Also seems like some races are more interesting than others, I enjoy casting spells with the Mages since it lets you setup some nice strategies sometimes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

Combat in EL is weird. I'm not really a fan of it, manual combat is a little dull.

At the same time the combat AI is retarded so auto-battling often feels like crippling yourself.

I like the concept of how it works, but I think it's a little too messy and because the AI isn't very smart about how to use it, it just doesn't ever really gel like it should.

Also, a few too many trash battles that don't have much meaning of course. Though I guess I kind of prefer that sometimes over AoW3 battles where every trash battle can matter because who gets what XP is kind of important.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't you set their default behavior to 'hold position' and then just don't assign them any orders? I thought that would make them just literally stay in place.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Clarste posted:

Okay, so the main gimmick of the Riftborn is that they don't grow with food at all. You have to manually build each population (and also troops). The cost increases each time, so it can take forever to fill up a system with bots, time that you're not building anything else. That said, they get +5 to everything but food and don't care about food so it's kind of worth it. A particularly annoying part of playing them though is that other species on their planets can grow with food, and often you'll be racing with them to fill up your planets. Your homeworld starts with another species too, like everyone else.

They're Industrialists by default.

So, kinda like playing Broken Lords then? I can get behind that.

Hows it all coming together with the new update? Solid enough to pick up yet or maybe just wait until final release still?

I really like that they are adding ending vids for each of the factions in the final release, way too many 4x games just end with 0 fanfare other than a score screen.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tulip posted:

My understanding is that the game is on sale until release, so if you know you're going to buy it, may as well buy it as soon as you've got the money for it. It's still, y'know, pretty incomplete, and I think needs some balancing, but I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable and engaging than Civ6 and it's certainly got more interesting systems than ES1.

Ah, I wasn't sure if that discount was still ongoing or not, but looking at the prices again it obviously it, just doesn't show a -% next to them.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You're not alone. I think those kind of things had a kind of magic to them. I wish they'd bring things like that back.

Definitely. Flavor is a big part of what's missing from a lot of 4X games IMO, and EL did a great job up with everything up until the end.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Serephina posted:

A quick check shows that they've got close to a hundred bucks NZD worth of DLC so shortly after realease, that shouldn't surprise me but it does =[ Serious question: have they actually fixed the major issues of the base game? (I completed a few games after release before dropping it) Specifically, that combat is just two blobs of numbers bumping into each other, expansion has comically bad "Sectors", and midgame development was non-existent other than filling in a backlog of worlds. I hope the new narratives help in the last point, but the former two seem intrinsic, basically making Stellaris a 4X game that terminally hosed up two of the X's. Unfortunate.

All those things are still problems yeah. Sectors seem a lot less stupid now though, and also you can just disable the need for them with mods if you want.
You don't really need any of the DLC for most of the improvements though. The game has gotten a fair bit better overall, they just haven't addressed a lot of the biggest issues with it still.

Gonna wait and see on ES2 anyway, everything I've read as of 0.3.4 suggests it's still pretty buggy, completely unbalanced, AI is terrible, and the combat isn't even as interesting as EL or anything. And with only about a month left, including adding new major features and factions, that's coming in a bit too hot for me. Hope it turns out well though, but I've been burned enough on Space 4x games I'll just wait and see instead.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jastiger posted:

How can you not be pumped for this game? Amplitude studios rule.

Combat still sounds like the biggest drag to me, but I guess if the focus of the game is off of that hard enough it wouldn't be a big deal.

Mostly it just seems a shame we can't get a decent space 4x with even workable combat since like ... SotS1? I didn't play that new Moo though so I dunno how good/bad that one was.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

IAmTheRad posted:

Dropped a day early. Horray!

Awesome, and the Bundle Stars deal is still going for another 6 hours so you can sneak in there and get the game for $25 still.

I'd love to hear some more impressions from peeps here on the release version, especially from people who weren't huge fans of ES1 or Stellaris. Might end up pulling the trigger if things turned out well enough :shepspends:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing I must know. Did fighters and bombers make the cut?

They did not it seems. However, planet destruction apparently did.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Having a lot of fun with this despite all the big glaring bugs and issues all across the game, but I'm at a point in the Riftborn quest where you need to pump 4 systems to 30% Ecology support and I'm scratching my head just trying to figure out how all the political stuff really works.

If I'm following correctly ...
- The graph in the system view shows you the system's leanings, which is effected by the Population types in the system in relation to what events have happened to it (and your empire)?
- The Representatives (and voting for senate/etc) are influenced by those system graphs, but you can essentially "buy out" elections using the options provide for Dust/Influence. So, your representatives may not really follow what your system views are.

So anyway, is there any tricks to really giving a huge boost to a system's leanings? I tried for about 30-40 turns to just do nothing but research Eco techs, build eco buildings, massively dump out Colony ships (and just sell them, if that even does anything), and so on. Net effect over that entire time period was pushing from like 3% support to ~15% support.

And then very shortly after that someone declared war on me, I defended a couple of systems from them, and my Militarist support skyrocketed up to like 60%+ in every system again, even in ones that have pops entirely made of Eco influence based races.

So am I missing something or are these mechanics just really badly designed/balanced? I can't believe that having war declared on you and defending yourself in your own territory would bump it up so much. And I mean what other options do you have, building enough military ships to defend yourself will also boost Militarist? Are there other repeatable construction projects that boost other factions like how military ships boost Militarist?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Yeah, the influence system is kind of wonky and vulnerable to getting messed up by wars or even pirate skirmishes. Horatio (or maybe all dictatorships?) have a tech that allows you to convert industry into Ecologist support. Would be handy to have everywhere.

Oh yeah that was the other one, even attacking pirates seemed to bump up Militarist?? I hope they take a good look at how all of those influence effects work at some point. For now it just really sucks that I basically can't continue the main quest because I basically just doesn't seem to be able to push those values past 30% any practical way. :smith:

Also feeling based on starting with the default game size settings (I think Large was the default?), that I should really be playing on something like a Small or XS size instead.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Something you might have missed is that each race, major and minor, puts different weights on each of the six types of influence. You can see this in the population screen.

Riftborn get half the normal influence from Ecology acts, making that quest absurdly hard in its current form.

That said, Militarism is grossly overweighted for everyone right now for exactly the reasons you described, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decimal error or something. Hopefully it will be toned down.

Yeah I did notice that, so I started making some systems with no Riftborn at all and stuffing them with Horatio and others. I think it might work if I can dig up a few more systems to shuffle pops around in, but even still just a few battles and I'm seeing barcharts full of red.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Oh shoot, this is the Beta patch you can opt into? Guess I'll do that when I get home today then.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Guess this is bugged or maybe it's more than 3 laws, getting dummy placeholder text for the number and I have 3 laws active and it didn't advance. It's a beta patch afterall :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Might be based on the game speed or size of universe. But either way, even with the release patch it seems to be broken for me, I'm guessing because I already had the quest in progress. Just has dummy text for the quest amount.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

rocket_Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOpdWMbebI

Here's the full OST favourites for me include zolya, ,in undertones, a search for forgiveness.

Also this one is actually missing the last 2(?) expansions as well, songs 42-47.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Helion posted:

So a couple months in, does anyone have any opinion they want to share on Endless Space 2? Has it held your interest?

It's still a bit buggy, has pretty significant performance issues, absolutely no sense of balance, and the AI is still pretty bad. The combat system is what I would call 'just there' and the advanced combat viewer is clunky and bad. Haven't seen a meaningful patch in a while now, though they are doing some balance testing stuff with an Official mod on the workshop I guess.

There's some good stuff in there but overall it still feels very beta to me, and I've shelved it for the time being to wait for improvements. I definitely don't like it anywhere near as much as EL, though that isn't entirely a fair comparison I know.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The patch for ES2 is out for release now, lot of good stuff in there. I didn't see it in the patch notes but I wonder if they fixed the outrageous XP issue between assigning heroes to systems vs fleets.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

On the subject, has anyone tried the Improved AI mod for EL? From the comments it sounds like it helps the AI out a fair bit in some obvious areas, but I dunno how big of a difference they would make in reality.

I'm surprised nothing like it exists for ES2 yet. ES2 has that whole ENFER thing that exposes the AI decision making, I would expect some people to really dig into it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't figure out how to even download this Forgotten Love Add-on for EL. If I click 'download' in Steam it just launches the game. If I hit the + button in game, it just opens the same steam page. Wonderful Steam.

I need a real refresher for playing the Allayi, been too long and I've totally forgotten which techs/builds to prioritize, amongst everything else. :v: