Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread! Quick question; is E.Legend worth buying in this steam sale? Steam reviews are one thing, but I'd like the grognard consensus. My background: I enjoyed Civ5, Civ6 will have to wait a few years until patches come out, Stellaris was promising but broken, and E.Space was really lacking in fluff with a boring tech tree and meh combat. This looks kinda like Age of Wonders3 (which I liked) glued in with E.Space's planet gui?

Is E.Legend worth my 20 bucks, and more importantly 20+ hours to figure out the systems?

edit:vv SOLD, good sir

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Is E.Legend worth buying in this steam sale?

So, after buying E.Legend on a lark, my personal update:
Knew nothing about the game other than a sequel to E.Space and screenshots, bought with all DLCs for 20 bucks, played tutorial.
1st round as Vaulters/normal was interesting, but eventually out-scienced the world by teir3-4 and had unwittingly made a doom stack, win game. Enjoyed their mechanics, but angry at self for prolonging game, reroll. 2nd Run as Cultists/normal/large, I spawn in the middle of *five* anomalies, proceed to yawnfest snowball something stupid. I've not finished the game, but it's over. Next game will probably be at a much much higher difficulty setting, perhaps the nomad guys.

Thoughts:
-Game is severely unoptimized, and could use finer grain gfx options. Not that they're needed, one tier above lowest looks fine.
-Combat is bland? I auto-resolved everything. Even watching the AI play it out is too drat slow. What he said.
-Some of the DLC is painfully tacked on, and I might disable it on further runs. Specifically, the desperate clutching and crying out of 'look, the oceans are relevant, we promise!' got annoying. Winter&Pearls is more of a nuisance, doesn't seem to actually add much.
-The AI is bad. Not Civ5-1UPT levels of bad, but being able to muster an army, murder a neighbor, and still be on top of the economy game on my first playthrough is telling.
-City sprawl is fun! The game itself takes a lot from weird places like AoW3 and does well with it.
-The tech tree looks good on paper, but probably has a bunch of 'do not skip, ever' techs on it that I'm slowly finding out about. Like, say, being able to recruit loving heroes. Incidentally, the game really does harshly punish going back to pick up previous era techs, seems like the discount should be cheaper etc.
-Perhaps its an AI thing, but the game really does feel empty of the competition until you go banging on their doors.
-Oh, and why the hell isn't there an ingame manual? Not everything needs to be at Civpedia levels, but holy poo poo a lot of mechanics are totally unexplained and require googling.

Overall worth the 20 bucks, but I wonder if it could hold me once I've finished with all the races. What's a good level to play at for my 3rd game? I'd hate to have to go back to civ5, I've gotten my 400 hours out of it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 26, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The AoW3 comparison is specifically to do with cities, and how they sprawl across the map. In a lot of 4X games, the city benefits from the surrounding terrain, but is not defined by it. You can funnel the city's production back into itself however you wish (with minor considerations for immediate terrain, ie boats for an ocean), turning any arbitrary new settlement into a science/food/unit machine of your choice. In AoW3 and expansions, each city became a bit more personalized by some strong bonus's that are claimable in the countryside. It's been a while, but I distinctly recall stuff like taking a forward city, tagging some crystal thing outside, and realizing that his tiny city is now able to produce phalanxes of much higher quality than my capital. In E.L I found myself being very picky which provinces where worth settling at all, due to the presence of strategics and minor factions.

I agree completely that they've got quite different focuses otherwise for games within the same genre. But I do feel that E.L has drawn other elements from varied sources, to it's benefit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is endless Legend worth it? There is a LOT of dlc and it's expensive $100 for the game + dlc

Can't even use a humble discount on it because humble doesn't have some of the dlc.

I wouldn't get it at full price. I think it was $20 for me with all DLC in the steam sale just past. Wait a few months and it'll come back down

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, that site throws up security certificate issues, asks for your DOB, then loving asks for a login, all without providing any content, or clue to what the loving content might be. Great loving link, care to tell what we're talking about?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I play the game on WINE, and have tempest enabled so that the water will render properly (else it's just a black void gfx glitch), but I absolutely loath all the actual tempest content; lovely naval techs whose purchase comes with a huge opportunity cost, the way embarked units fight, etc. I really don't get the point of it, and am sick of the facility notifications winge-ing on as if they're relevant. So I just enable tempest, then set the world gen to disable bodies of water. Helps!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Good question! I think the answer is "Nope, suck it up and use the zoom function" :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bogart posted:

Hey, I ended up never using these codes. Sega strategy games. Free for a goon home. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3zgWdK9rXr0RmNIX1ctZUk2c3c

I took the Ultramarines DLC - Thanks! I bought DoW for linux long after it was cool, so I'm actually getting good mileage out of it (even if the single player is.. bleh)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can't help you with anything on EL2, but I feel that a huge chunk of what makes Vaulters good is the ability to teleport any and all of their armies across the entire goddamn map instantly at almost no cost. It's very hard to lose with with an edge like that. The other stuff is just nice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How is the endless thread, of all places, complaining of other 4X games just dumping you without fanfare to the score graph when you win? Endless legend is right there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Spanish Matlock posted:

The new update is pretty great. Xenophile is still a bit hosed, but being able to start with robots, slaves, or as a hive mind is absolutely great.

A quick check shows that they've got close to a hundred bucks NZD worth of DLC so shortly after realease, that shouldn't surprise me but it does =[ Serious question: have they actually fixed the major issues of the base game? (I completed a few games after release before dropping it) Specifically, that combat is just two blobs of numbers bumping into each other, expansion has comically bad "Sectors", and midgame development was non-existent other than filling in a backlog of worlds. I hope the new narratives help in the last point, but the former two seem intrinsic, basically making Stellaris a 4X game that terminally hosed up two of the X's. Unfortunate.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Private sector.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

There's virtually no difference here in aesthetic, or artist's technical skill? But yes ES1 was bland and EL had flavour. I'm in the 'don't be an early adopter' phase of 4X games now, after being burnt by like three major 1.0 releases, so I'll take your word that Horatio is more flavorful this time around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The game just came out. Give it a bit so people can actually finish their second game. Most of the talk so far has been early access

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I honestly think you've just fallen behind everything and everyone, somehow. Usually you have such overleveled/geared units that neutrals are walking xp too puny to be worth chasing down, while you have more cities than you want to micro since you ate a neighbor or two.

General tips: Production is king in EL, there is literally no problem that can't be solved by pouring more industry into it come midgame. Early game techs are far better industry-wise, it's easy as the Vaulters to only get the required 6(?) techs per era, but that's a bad plan. Rush the [+6 & +15% FIDS] techs asap in starting city, keep your main stack at max capacity and decent upgrades, and after that you tend to snowball well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aethernet posted:

- Stellaris has better combat

I've not played ES2, but this is a tall claim

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
N.B. That guide is serious hardcore multiplayer early game optimizations. For someone who's poor at 4X and just playing EL for the fun of it solo, take a lot of that with a grain of salt. His early tech recommendations are good (but not necessarily in that order); EL is bizarre in that core gameplay aspects are locked behind optional techs that you might skip on your first game or two. Stuff like, say, buying heroes and having roads. He also (overemphasized) a good point: in EL, production is king. Can't have too much of it. No point it spiking high level techs if you have no hope in hell of producing that structure before the game ends! As an aside, lower level techs tend to be much more production-efficient. Expand at your own pace, mang. Making 3 settlers Era1 is pretty hardcore! etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, with early neighborhood conflicts in EL you're best to just say 'gently caress it' and go full-out warmonger, from unit production to tech choices to exploration patterns, until you eat that bastard and assimilate his cities. Trying to play standard after first hostile contact usually isn't worth the grief.

Edit: Broken lord's early game is incredibly skint, it's just what they are. Conversely, a fully blown lategame purchase economy is pretty OP.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Go take a walk Northwards?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That particular result requires a spy to be sitting in their base unchallenged for a very, very long time. A higher rank spy can get there faster but will have revealed his presence via the actions needed to level up. Cultists are super-vulnerable to espionage because they have only a single city which paints a huge target on itself.

Normal espionage is stuff like -25/50% industry in the city, getting vision of all their cities, etc. Mix of city-target and mild-empire stuff, and usually you hit a city 2-3 times for low level stuff to rank-up the spy before going for the big lvl5 effects. The spy loses his rank when he moves cities, so maximum value requires revealing him for small stuff, ranking up, and then risk keeping him around as he rapidly climbs to the lvl5 effects. So in order to nail the Cultists, they have to be very very negligent to the ONE thing that screws them, and/or wait literally half the game for the rank1 guy to clandestinely get a lvl5 effect.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The tutorial kinda covers the basics, the rest kinda fell into place for me having played other 4X games. Caveat: You need access to the market&mercenaries tech to purchase a second hero, I did not know that in my first game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Elections? We're talking *Legend here, not *Space2

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
ENDLESS SPACE 2 IS FREE TO PLAY FOR THREE MORE DAYS

Holy poo poo thread why did you not tell me this how much time have I lost already arggghh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Been playing my first game as Humans. Despite being forewarned about the '3 science laws' things, and me doing literally everything I can do push science, they're still a tiny tiny faction with no hope. I'm not sure anyone actually playtested/QA'd the human quest =[
But yes, the game is so slick, so pretty! ...but the AI sits still and does nothing, and all the actual mechanics are either obscure or just poor.

I didn't buy it asap [since you NEVER buy games at release anymore!] due to wanting to know how WINE handled it, which it kinda does ok, but after seeing the gameplay I guess I'll skip =/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That link is a lot of flaff that I already know about. Doesn't actually help any.

My layout is 40/40 industrial/military currently, with religion/ecology at 0% and pacifists/science sitting at 5% each, apx.
Empire's primary pop pushes 50% of all science bias back into industrial, so that explains the industrial alongside the mandatory 'build stuff' FIDS improvements. And I've fought two small wars, in a 4X game so there's that. What else am I supposed to do to complete this main storyboard mission, that's only one part of probably a few dozen steps to the end? (assuming similarity to EL) But seriously, if I'm to call off all wars & unit production for 40+ turns, stop producing any buildings that aren't science boosters, and likewise stop with non-science techs... just to have a chance to interact with this lovely politics system that I strongly want to ignore, in order to complete a tiny tiny mission in the main storyline? gently caress that! The five previous entries where done within a few turns of effort, this one requires me to literally up-end everything in order to push it.

There's also so many other systems that have completely no explanation other than a tiny tutorial popup that's woefully insufficient. No tooltip explanations, no reference, nada. And the systems suck too. Space Combat (why can't I rearrange my fleet so I can use the cards I want to position close/far guys at the right range?), Ground Combat (Oh wait I can siege from space? Where the gently caress did it say that?), Passive AIs and the traditional terrible Endless tech tree.

It's such a pretty game with a beautiful GUI, but it's all atop a really really poo poo 4X entry imo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've just been walking in and hitting the 'invade' button, the internet is telling me to wait a few turns first to weaken them? I'll check when I get ingame tonight.
Put it this way, I loved EL (and played ES1 briefly) so it's not all gibberish, and Doom4's free trial sold me on the game, but this trial has soured me. Civ6, Stellaris, and now ES2 all being meh =/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The main menu buttons have hover...buttons?!? WTF?!? :cripes:

Krazyface posted:

For God's sake they're called tool-tips.

No, they're hover-buttons =[ When you mouse-over "New Game" two new sub-options appear to the right, Quick start and Beginner. I didn't notice beginner when I first installed the game and just clicked on New Game. That being said, the hover buttons are more convenience than hiding info, at least in the context of the main menu. As one of the new players this weekend, It's really hard to get a solid run-down on certain mechanics, you kind of have to paint your own picture from guessing and tooltips. It'd really be nice to just have some rudimentary documentation, where it runs through (in paragraph-form) how certain things work and are to be done. Like manpower (despite reading this thread I thought it was local like food, not global like dust), goals, etc. I've been lucky with the pirates, but yea the underlying 4X game is disappointing, despite it having so much dang production & polish.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The 3 tutorial levels where clearly marked "I've never played anything like this before", "I've played 4X games before" and "I know all about Endless Space". I chose the middle option, despite having played Endless games prior. poo poo's still a mess.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, that would have been the 'Elves' of Auriga.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I will fight you on this!
-> The vaulters, despite being 'Human', have the cool and fun technophile mechanics, holy resources, teleporting armies etc. And their storyline isn't completely awful and makes sense in the greater universe. Also I giggled a bit at Viking Space Marines with crossbows, they're actually kinda rad.
-> Compared to the 'Elves', whose shtick is... they get +1 industry? (Seriously, even vaulters got +1science!) Oh, and they get to see armies in the fog of war if they wander too close. Their quest/storyline is that they like building a really tall building. Jesus that's pathetic.

If Vaulters wheren't explicityly human and the elves' ears where less pointy, we all know who would be Vanilla newbie race. Oh wait it's explicity said at every step of the way that the elves are the boring mechanic-less race. With nearly no fluff.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Who cares about mechanics? People who play the game? I mean, whether or not you care about the Cultists being insane nihilists who ironically have a bone to pick with their creators, you can still appreciate that they had a very cool playstyle. The elves' backstory is a trivial little blurb you get before getting your first turn, and has absolutely no relevance to them as a playable faction. That 'story' ended instantly and their actual ingame quests was all about building a big tower, for reasons. If you feel that being conscientious objectors who happens to have pointy ears is a more interesting setup than Gilligan's Isle Spaceship Castaways, sure that's fine. But the Elves where boring as gently caress and didn't do anything interesting, either in quest-fluff or in-game, so we should all applaud their demise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
War is an intrinsic part of any 4X game, and having literally all of your prior long-term planning/synergies get shoved aside since you dared to make a warship sucks. The free weekend's expired, but one thing bugs me: why would you ever choose Dictatorship and it's lovely bonus'? Do you literally get to pick which faction is in control, no elections?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, there is literally no explanation of how/why trades routes work, it's just Aplitude's standard MO of dumping a complex mechanic in and hoping the players figure it out via context. Except for trade routes, you have no loving way of calculating how you're supposed to place the things. I've just dropped them down everywhere, as far as possible from each other, and watch the pitiable income for wasting literally thousands of dust on it.

For you, the only thing I can answer is that you get more trade companies when the existing ones have 'made enough profit'. You can speed this by looking at the economy tab and buying more ships for the company (expensive!). There's a % bar that slowly rises.

edit: For control of the Constellation thing, it's awarded to whoever has explored the entire starlane tree of it, and has the most (min. 3) systems in it. Zoom out with the overlays on to see constellation arrays/bonus'

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 25, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I figured that out pretty fast that terraforming is a hardly a one-two process, and I feel a good rule of thumb is just to use it once only in order to pull a shitacular planet into something more happiness-manageable.
Edit: Take that table with a grain of salt; the happiness values look off, like they're from a previous version. Ie with lava giving -8 per pop, how does it line up in the chart to be listed at -20?

So! I bought after the sale was done, and fired up my second game, Voydani, with zero pirate and the difficulty bumped up one notch. The AI is less utterly useless now, so that's promising! I have one issue tho: The main quest asks for me to occupy two major or minor homeworlds. Trouble is the Voydani don't occupy, they raze like EL cultists it seems and I can't get the ticket to acknowledge either an Arc deployed in a former Minor's spawn point, or a fleet occupying (razing/razed) a Major's Homeworld. Typical poorly described nonsense par for this series. Can someone spell it out for me like I'm a 5 year old?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 26, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As in the game advertises the UE as trying to push industry in order to get influence, which is backwards as in reality just pushing influence directly gets you better results faster. UE can rush-buy anything with influence, from buildings to techs, allowing them to shift a substantial part of their econ into purchase-based rather than production-based. Kinda like the Broken lords in EL, or stacking crazy mercantile discounts in Civ5.

It's a standard 4X trope that allows a faction to have the entirety of their empire put their 'production' into a bucket and have it focused on where it's needed, rather than a common problem of highly developed old world systems with nothing to buy while the new frontier struggles to get onto its feet.

Serephina posted:

I have one issue tho: The main quest asks for me to occupy two major or minor homeworlds. Trouble is the Voydani don't occupy, they raze like EL cultists it seems and I can't get the ticket to acknowledge either an Arc deployed in a former Minor's spawn point, or a fleet occupying (razing/razed) a Major's Homeworld. Typical poorly described nonsense par for this series. Can someone spell it out for me like I'm a 5 year old?
Now, seriously, my game is on hold until someone can help me with the Voydani quest. I've colonized two major home factions and the quest won't blink, and at this point it's just a supremacy victory which I don't want, I wanna see the drat storylines play out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Political dissonance?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In the system panel above the approval rating you'll find the assimilation %. I think it's like 8% a turn? So they'll be functional several turns before they're actually "yours".

My Voydani playthrough de-bugged itself magically and I completed all quests, but just to make sure: It ends with you building the Temple of Virtual Academy, which lets you move heroes with no cd. Reading the quest, it sounds like it's all over. That's it? Was kinda expecting ES2 quests to continue into super-endgame content with a win condition kinda like they did in EL =/

Oh, and the Voydani don't have the tech to peacefully annex systems, right? Whoops, no way to spend this 50k influence after all

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Alliances are super annoying in this game, they drag you into (and out of) wars willy nilly. Very poorly done, it feels more like a three-legged race when the other guy is drunk, rather than a partnership where you talk poo poo over before going into war. Stellaris got one thing (very much) right, I gotta admit.

Crispybaby: Did you notice any active lvl5 pirate lairs near faraway empires that where doing poorly? Once someone pointed that out, amusingly calling it "sitting in a corner eating crayons" it kinda ruined them for me. I turned them off for my 2nd game on Hard and holy cow it's been a total warfest on every side, much more enjoyable. Disable pirates.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Overminty posted:

Question of my own this time: I've picked the Unfallen quest line where I need to have 40 Diplomatic Pressure (might not be what it's called) with another empire. Is there a way to see what the current value with a given Empire is? The pressure per turn is obvious enough but I'd like a more concrete idea of how long it will take to achieve.

Also the per turn rate seems minuscule even though I'm in an alliance and with as many peaceful treaties as possible.

... I wonder if force peacing impacted that at all.

Diplomatic pressure is actually a hostile action, so being all buddies with them will reduce it. Cold war is the best way to push it, while peace and alliances reduce the pressure by a factor of .5 and .25 respectively, iirc. No matter what, it's capped at 10 per turn. Fastest way to get more of it is to buy bureaucratic thingies for 500 influence, which btw is considered vaguely hostile. Other good ways are pushing your influence radius into theirs (hard until lategame), or just running a ship into their land, blowing up what you can, and being a dick to them in the diplo screen when they ask you to stop. Or just spend 500 a few times, that sounds easier.

I'll anti-reccomend Dungeon of the Endless. It took a while for it to 'click' with me and start winning, and that was when I realized that it's basically a pure tower defense game with window dressing, and trying to use your heroes as dps/tank is a losing idea. I hate TD's, so yea I'd say avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not sure its possible to fire heroes? They don't cost upkeep if unassigned, and after a turn or two the game stops reminding you to use them so it's a non-problem.

The warning about victory types seem to kick in veeeery early, something like 20% of what's needed. I keep getting all sorts of popups about me winning for almost every victory type just by naturally getting big in the midgame.