Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Endless Space 2 currently on sale for 50% on steam. vaulters xpac sadly is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

IAmTheRad posted:

Part of SEGA's Make War not Love annual event.

need to set a reminder to wait until valentine's day if i want to purchase a sega published strategy game...

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Any political advice for Horatio?

Ecologist Dictatorship just seems like it was thrown at them for no reason/ benefit....

Do you go Religious immediately to be able to invade minors? or Military for free WarDecs?

Also, how long do you stay dictatorship? change to republic asap or federation for extra planets?

Do you stay ecologist and just spread to as many planets as possible and aquire minors with influence? but then how do you get more influence quickly?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Clarste posted:

I usually colonize as fast as humanly possible with ecologist,...

Do you just colonize every system with more than 2 planets then? or still search for "good" systems with Tier 0 planets?

Clarste posted:

..., and then switch to a democracy before happiness starts becoming an issue. Because of the high populations, I find that the per pop happiness bonus from democracy is more effective than the over-colonization mitigation from federation. I also like to use as many per-pop bonus laws as possible. You can't control parties that well with a democracy, but you usually end up militarist by that point anyway.

ok, this makes sense.

Clarste posted:

... I've never even remotely had a problem having enough influence to do whatever I want as Horatio though.

Do they get anything that gives them better influence income? I felt influence starved when there were more than 1 minors getting flattered. Also, isn't this way slower than just taking them over with Horatio's crazy amount of manpower?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
what's the best way to get as many other race's genes spliced?

doing quests for all of the minors? paying for war dec?

what about for the major factions? is war the only way? or can you request population via diplomacy? i guess you can ask for a system in exchange for something...

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

KirbyKhan posted:

Horatio: ecology is dope. By the time I changed government I had the necessary planetfall techs just to get rid of the -50 fids penalty. I did federation for expansion bonuses anf it was underwhelming.

After playing last night, I agree, ecology does work well. I didn't realize there were Horatio specific laws in there.

Once i swapped to democracy, I had to keep backing ecology as my graph was 90% militarist.

Once you've spliced a few pops though, I have a rough time breeding more and more of the other factions to do another splice. The systems fill up, so i just keep using the spaceport to migrate the factions around in a horrible shell game. Any tips here?

Also, loading a carrier up with with all manpower modules makes for a hilarious planet takeover ship.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Serephina posted:

Manpower is (or was, pre-expansion) really odd in that while it's utterly necessary for invasions, the majority of it's use is completely wasted manning combat ships who all die in space wasting their manpower. Sure, there's some lovely little 20% bonus (or something) that a ship gets for being at max manpower instead of empty, but it's a terrible deal that most sane players would avoid if given any chances of. It's not HARD to build an 'invasion drop pod ship' whose only job is to fill the square slots with manpower modules. I often do it so that the fast doom fleet can keep moving and killing, with a very slow fleet of manpower doing the actual invasions.

So what I'm saying is, don't freak if your manpower is pegged at 0 for a while. It's probably because you're building ships early/mid game and don't have all the tech ups that let you have a huge manpower bank for these production spikes. Just keep doing what you're doing and only care when it comes time to invade, then just click around your fleets looking for one that's fully stocked.

It's a poorly executed mechanic imo.

I'd say it's more poorly explained than it is poorly executed. I think of it as rush protection.

That being said... I'm new to the game and have only really gotten to the late game as Horatio who is just making GBS threads food and manpower, so I don't mind when I see my manpower generated drop down to -2k when I need to fill up my party bus.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone have any luck using the AOE Blast weapon?

I found that once I equipped it, I had a much harder time taking down other carriers/arks.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Clarste posted:

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever reached a point in the game where the enemy is using Carrier hulls and I'm not like 10 turns of Next Turn from victory. A lot of the late game techs feel like that.

I still struggle with finishing a game out. I don't think I focus enough on one victory condition and end up stretching my games out much longer than is probably appropriate.

I guess the quickest way would be to go for supremacy and just bum rush the AI starting systems?

I think with enough practice I'll be able to transition from the mindset of 'build up empire' to 'I'm strong enough, lets rush to victory' a little bit better.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

HundredBears posted:

It's at the very least competitive with the fastest victory types, and probably the one that lets you pivot from empire-building to sprinting for the finish line the latest. All the victory types can come ridiculously early if you're playing an empire well-suited to them and start focusing early enough, though: it ranges from around turn 70 for a science victory with an excellent galaxy with the Riftborn to a bit after 120 for an economic victory with a weak start.

turn numbers based on normal game speed or fast?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Tree Bucket posted:

I thought the AoE weapon was specifically meant for wiping out a whole lot of small ships at once, and can't really handle the big guys.

It is, I was just noting that it then kills your ability to take on carriers effectively. really kills your mid and large hull dps.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Tulip posted:

The core game is very complete so DLC is very much "if you feel like it."

That said, Endless DLC is typically either "major" or "minor." The minor DLC - additional songs, sidequests, etc. all mesh seamlessly.

The major DLC are somewhat variable, and tend to make playing a bit messier. This isn't to say bad, but the core game is pretty tight and they tend to unravel some of that tightness.

I've never liked their DLC pattern of new faction with unique mechanic as their defining strength and shoe-horned into the rest of the remaining factions.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Truga posted:

... turn based multiplayer is so goddamn annoying and i basically never play alone and my friends don't want to hear about turn timers lmao

a million times this.... feels bad man

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Umbral Choir is cool, and when you play as them, hacking is kind of neat. however, how does everyone feel about disabling penumbra when you're not the one actively playing UC? I feel as though vs AIs, hacking them doesn't feel very impactful, but when you get hacked and your government goes into anarchy and you lose your laws, its debilitating and unfun.

I already play with awakening disabled, because I think the academy fleet is BS and unfun, so I feel disheartened to disable another DLC. I like supremacy because, while I don't like behemoths personally, I will admit that in some games having a super weapon or the threat of the superweapon is a good way to end things that may just drag out otherwise.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

dy. posted:

All of the games and DLC's are part of the Lunar New Year Steam sale right now. Picked up a bunch of the DLC I'd be holding out on.

not sure if this is endless space 2 specific or not, but I recommend disabling the DLC unless you're playing as the faction that was also released as part of that DLC, except vaulters, you can leave that one on.

Also, if this will be your first time playing in a while, avoid the Nakalim for a few games as they can be incredibly overwhelming to start with.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
While browsing trying to see what the more popular factions were, I found this interesting. The percentage of people who own the game and have won with each faction....

pre:
Win with the United Empire	4.9%
Win with the Sophons		2.9%
Win with the Unfallen		2.2%
Win with the Riftborn		2.2%
Win with the Vaulters		2.1%
Win with the Lumeris		2.0%
Win with a Custom Faction	1.9%
Win with Horatio		1.8%
Win with the Vodyani		1.6%
Win with the Cravers		1.2%
Win as the Umbral choir		0.8%
Win as the Hisshos		0.8%
Win as Nakalim			0.2%
https://steamcommunity.com/stats/392110/achievements

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
while we're at it, lets look at by victory condition...

pre:
Win an Economic Victory	4.6%
Win a Conquest Victory	3.9%
Win a Science Victory	3.8%
Win a Supremacy Victory 3.5%
Win a Score Victory 	3.0%
Win a Wonder Victory 	2.5%

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Tulip posted:

I decided to check the faction quest completion rates too

Looks like Vodyani are the only faction with a higher win rate than quest completion rate.

I wonder if that's because Vodyani snowball so hard that its easier to just win than complete the quest.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Tree Bucket posted:

Time for my annual ES2 binge.
Tell me your most rad and/or hilariously broken custom factions!

I'm currently on the same binge, but I've yet to attempt any custom factions, I'm just going through at least once with each race and trying to actually finish each playthrough.

Supremacy victory as vaulters was my last and it's just so much fun... your Capitol is now mine, and now it has a teleporter and everything is connected.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

ConfusedUs posted:

Y'all talking about your annual binge while I'm over here, happy to have finished my first full game.

I did the tutorial as the human empire, but made a bunch of mistakes and didn't like where it was going. Started a new game, this one as a random empire. Got Umbral Choir. That was...different.

Got me a Wonder victory on turn 170 though. The AI never really felt like it had a chance in the back half of the game. Also I probably could have shaved off 30-40 turns if I knew what I was doing starting out.

United Empire are a great first playthrough and even more fun to go back to after you're tried everyone else. They are just a great faction.

I strongly recommend turning the last 3 expansions off and only turning them on if you want to play as the faction introduced in that DLC. (Hissho, Umbral Choir and Nakalim) Vaulters are great and the expansion mechanics integrate well. Behemoth, Hacking and the Academy are all very polarizing additional mechanics.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

ConfusedUs posted:

Hacking seemed more like a chore to me than something fun.

Behemoths were cool! Giant ships that do poo poo? Sign me up! I had like six of them plus a citadel.

I wish I could keep stealth ships but remove hacking.

Behemoths are cool, but I feel like its too similar to just giving everyone Arks.. and there is too much shared space between military behemoths and Carriers especially once you unlock juggernauts and obliterators.

Even with the ESG mod that tones down the academy, I still don't like the Academy mechanic...

but, these things can be enabled and disabled for a reason, everyone can play how they like!

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

chaosapiant posted:

I’m also trying to dig into Endless Space 2. I enjoyed the first one enough, but this one is hard to parse for me. I’m wondering if I should disable all the DLC for a first run.

I strongly recommend disabling Penumbra for your first couple of games and only enabling it when you want to try "hacking" and also just pretending Awakening doesn't existing and disable that one permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

KirbyKhan posted:

Excuse me, this is happening? Endless Space 2 is getting updated fr? Will I be able to reinstall the game without having to shut down my OneDrive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzx8WxzlyEY

well this is great news!