Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

HerraS posted:

The answer is ALIENS!!!!

Correct.

I feel some pity so I'll elaborate. Keep in mind this is all stupid window dressing to the core story.

Adam and Lilith are lifeform factories. They were meant to terraform a joint and then spit out babies. Lilith is the progenitor of humans while adam is the same for the angels. They shoot out different kinds of lifeforms though and were not intended to be based on the same planet. One angel is equivalent to the entire human race. They're unitary organisms and we aren't.

Some humans figured this out and became the illuminati. That's seele. They want to turn the human race into a unitary organism like the angels for various reasons. They caused the second impact by tampering with adam. The impact itself is a terraforming event, originally intended to make a planet ready for angels. It wasn't supposed to go off with lilims, us, already on the planet. Despite the fuckup, seele learns how to make fake angels via adam that are controllable with the addition of mommy souls. That's evas.

Nerve is a testing and defense arm of seele headed by gendo. He's (not so) secretly a traitor and wants the same thing seele does, except on his own terms, because he wants to be with his wife, whose mentality is stuck in 01.

I've now lost all my hard earned gbs cred so enjoy. Hope it was worth it, rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

The Dennis System posted:

So it sounds like Seele are pretty cool guys then. It's too bad Gendo hosed them over.

Nah. They misuse ancient tech (adam mostly) in such a way that it fucks up the whole planet for selfish reasons. Immortality mostly. Same with gendo. Both sides play god to horrific effect.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Panfilo posted:

The way I understand it, the angels were a type of organism that took a different evolutionary path then humans. They want to merge with Adam to trigger some kind of of jump to the next stage of evolution.

It's not mentioned but presumably adam remained inactive till seele hosed with it, since there were no angels until then and only one impact that was what made the earths natural biosphere, so that was lilith.

Specifically the angels are aiming for adam and lilith, again presumably to stop humans from loving with them. Angels always attack nerve which is where both adam and lilith are housed.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Interesting. This actually clears up a lot of stuff. But why is Adam on Earth if the Earth is a Lillith planet? Shouldn't he be off on some Angel planet? And I thought Shinji's mom was the basis of all Evas. I didn't think there were different mothers for each Eva.

Cosmic coincidence. They are both part of a larger life-breeding program, and of all the who knows how many biofactories that were seeded, two ended up close to each other. Iirc adam actually landed on the moon and was brought to earth by some cataclysm.

Each eva has the pilot's mom inside. Except 00. I have no idea about 00. An earlier rei maybe. Eventually the figure out how to automate evas with reis whether they have a soul or not. That's the dummy plug system. This works cuz rei is a subset of lilith. Presumably she has overrides embedded in her by nature. It's kinda weird though because as we've said, evas are from adam, not lilith.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 15, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I like how the main dude in that sounded like he was nutting himself when he said gipsy danger. Gahd, so beautiful. (then why dont u marry it?????)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Unit 00 I've always understood has another Rei inside it, yeah. Part of the reason why its initial activations went so poorly; you wake up one day and you're suddenly a bio-robo-pseudo-god, with a tiny clone of yourself controlling you from inside your neck. You try and tell me that you don't lose all composure and try to murder your creator.

Eva is a weird show.

Rebuild is even weirder. How does an eva do an impact without adam or lilith? Makes no sense. Not native functionality.

Whoa, so the angels aren't actually trying to kill off humanity. They're just trying to stop Seele and NERV from trying to create the instrumentality. Although if the angels weren't really trying to hurt anyone, you'd think Katsuragi and a lot of the other NERV people would be against instrumentality and go ahead let the angels take back Adam.

No one knows about instrumentality except the seele council insiders. This includes gendo, his second in command, and uh.... Computer lady. But no one else at nerv. Everyone else thinks they're the earth defense force. No one else even knows that it is lilith, not adam, entombed under the base. Kaoru is a clear indicator of the angels' non-malevolence though. They are sentient beings, and he's their last shot at stopping the human fuckery. But he allows himself to be destroyed for the sake of the humans.

I thought Rei was just a straight-up clone of Shinji's mom. I didn't know she had any Lillith in her.

I don't remember how this works. It's vague anyway. She apparently looks like shinji's mom when she was younger, but she's special because her mentality is lilith.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I remember watching that in high school and thinking it was stupid and filled with overwrought symbolism the author didn't understand.

I loved the poo poo out of it, which is why I remember so much of this bs. But then I've always been a pretentious twat. :unsmith:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You need taste to be pretentious. Don't worry about it.

Thanks bro.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

EoE at least was DEFINITELY a hate gently caress. But the dude was also seriously mentally unwell at the time.

(I love being hate hosed.)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

It made me sad when Shinji killed Kaworu. Look just let the world die, somebody could finally tolerate being around Shinji ffs. :gay::cry:

Word. Plus angels have the fruit of life so good odds on him being a fantastic lay. Oh well. To assuage everyone I'll just leave this here. As always, dont read any of the comments for your own wellbeing.

https://youtu.be/Y7yWoKV1_VY

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Asuka getting devoured is fuckin badass

:agreed:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nah, one of the other girls he wants to bone down on is a clone of his mother.

She also ends up medically nude in front of him but at least he doesn't jack it then. Thank god for small favors.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

B.H. Facials posted:

Has anybody seen the Rebuild of Evangelion films? Are they any good?

1 and 2 are good. 1 is basically the first quarter of the show without many narrative changes. 2 starts veering off the show's track and introduces a minor but annoying mary sue character. To make up for her, shinji grows considerable testicles. Then in 3 everyone hates shinji for growing testicles in 2 and he becomes a bitchboi again, but some other weird and sort of interesting stuff happens. It pissed a lot of people off like EoE without being as clearly made to piss off fans. No coma masturbation tho, sorry! Maybe next time.

4 will be coming out in 20 years right after Mr. Anno kills himself, probably. We can still hold out hope that he's not psych-ward-inpatient-level depressed when he writes it and that it will be a bit less filled with angst, hatred, and self-loathing than EoE, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet money on the proposition.

The animation is fantastic in all three of the released movies, of course. Overall, if you liked the show you'll likely enjoy these.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Knight posted:

<angry, exasperated teacher> "OK! So, does everyone here understand Neon Genesis Evangelion?"

*class chimes in unison* "all work and no balls makes shinji a bitch boi!"

Alternatively,: "Life is suffering, let's turn into tang and become one!"

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

caleramaen posted:

I always thought unit 00 and unit 01 were clones of Lilith. The rest were definitely Adam clones though. I also think that Seele doesn't get what it wants, since Shinji ends up being the arbiter of human destiny instead of them. At first he's like "Make it all feel better!" cause Shinjis a little bitch. But at the end he realizes that all humanity being one being sucks and frees everyone.

01 is defs. Lilith-derived. That's one of the Big Secrets of the seele and nerv bosses, along with the fact that it's lilith, not adam who is entombed in terminal dogma. It's why 01 is central to both gendo and seele's plans. It is the eva that can merge with the greater Lilith. I presume this merging is necessary because seele wants control over the fruit of life as well as the fruit of knowledge and by design Lilith is only endowed with the fruit of knowledge. In the series the physical manifestation of the fruit of life is the s2 engine. The combination of these two powers is why complete 01 is considered godlike.

In that lovely video game where the ancient aliens angle is revealed, it's apparently also shown that seele has a three level misinformation campaign going on. To the public, they are all "Holy poo poo, we are under attack by xenos we don't know wtf. Lets defend earf, guise." To seele peons they are all "We know where the xenos come from, this thing called Adam. We are experimenting with the tech to contain Adam and destroy its spawn." The existence of Lilith, humans being Lilith-spawn, 01 being made from lilith, the fact that seele has the instruction manual, and their apotheosis gambit is all seraphic/8x classified and only known to the seele council.

Seele absolutely does get what they want, for a while at least. Humanity is merged with the powers of both progenitors in EoE and that is seele's preferred endgame. The god that they create kills itself though, so they only get immortality of a sort rather than that plus unlimited cosmic power.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah see this is worse than the original ending where a young man comes to grips with his problems and is congratulated for it by supportive family members and friends.

:agreed:

Its basically anno going "YOU WANTED GIANT CRAZY ROBUTTS? HERES YOUR ROBUTTS, A$$HOLES"

*shinji jacks off, spends twenty minutes screaming*

At least he "gets" his fanbase.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

two forty posted:

I MUST PILOT THE EVA!!

https://youtu.be/DZVzzNQY7BI

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I don't understand any of this thread.

Can someone tell me some good dub animes because I am totally against reading.

Eva and cowboy bebop are the gold standard of mostly non-weeb anime and both have decent dubs. Just why though? Why get into anime? Really dumb idea imo. Look at how stupid and lame I have made myself seem with my horrible, tragic evaposting in this thread. Is that what you want for yourself? REALLY?

Just dont do it bro. Blissful ignorance is the key to a happy, fulfilled life.

If you need more convincing, go read adtrw for 5 minutes.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How the gently caress does eva qualify as "non-weeb?"

Mostly non-weeb, I said. Shinji doesn't shonen the poo poo out and doesn't end up with a harem. Everything is relative.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I'm pretty well adjusted and I can still tell that basically every single person in the show is a terrible excuse for a human being.

Agreed that the show is about hosed up people at it's core. I mean, hell. Shinji getting over his bullshit being the original ending should help clue everyone in on that point.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I agree that if you think Shinji "getting balls" in the rebuild 2 is totally missing the point, especially if you have issue with the characters hating him in rebuild 3 : "but he did something the thought was right!! Everyone is ganging up on him" every one has 12 years of his decision riding on their backs, you get to a point where it doesn't matter what someone's intentions are but only the results: in shinjis case : you can easily convince yourself he meant everything bad that happened and hate him for it.

It's hard you really conceptualize what a decade plus can do to your mind, mentally, if you're living in the aftermath of someones boneheaded decision, regardless if you agreed with them initially.

I know rebuild 3 is supposed to be a commentary on the Eva fans being stunted, but while I was initially really frustrated with everyone's reactions to shinjis decision / action from a decade previous, some bullshit irl actually cemented the idea that intentions don't mean ANYTHING.

Rebuild 3 is a lot more interesting with the idea in mind that everyone who opposes or hates Shinji is not "wrong ".

I read an interesting theory somewhere that each rebuild is a different take on eva. 1 is eva as it was, 2 is eva as anno percieved the fans wanted it to be, and 3 is the eva that is more in line with anno's ideals for the series.

As cathartic as seeing shinji nut up was after all those years, 2 does strike me as kinda wierd and off. No one is acting nuts or mean spirited. The girls are fighting over shinji (lol). Asuka treats him like a human being rather than a particularly contemptible dog. He easily gets in the robot with zero bitching. There's this character that can beat angels without a horrific emotional cost. Hell even gendo starts acting like some warm blood is flowing through his veins. It's kinda refreshing but is it even eva really? There's enough blood for it to be so, at least.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I just don't get 95% of the references in the pyf cosplay thread and it is affecting my self esteem quite negatively.

Wisdom is profane and ignorance blessed. All you need is jesus anyway.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I just watched all of the documentary Nanking.

How caught up am I on Japanese culture?

Its all you need to know really.

(I didn't even know don king GOT raped!)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

When I watch 2.22, I keep thinking it's shinji's dream and he wakes up for it at one point since it's so different but nope, I guess it's supposed to be real.

It's like the saccharine "shinji's school days" anime you get a peak at in episodes 25 and 26. Eva without the angst and suffering is barely even eva.

https://youtu.be/FckkZihQUaU

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 16, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

caleramaen posted:

I'm of the opinion that Shinji's real life is actually an incredibly depressing version of that. He's not actually fighting giant monsters, he's just a regular kid who created this universe in his head cause his life is horrible as poo poo. His mom's dead, his dad ignores him, the girl he likes hates him, and everything terrible about the series is to some degree real, except it's incredibly mundane. Which means even in his fantasies, Shinji is the most pathetic person alive.

Acceptable headcanon imo.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

:amine:. It's blood.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 17, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

JB50 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUpWihJJJ4

Watch this instead. More realistic human reactions.

Its totally a parody

Why is trevor from gta v voicing gendo???

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tricky D posted:

Hey guys, I don't really know how to say this but...

...they aren't really robots.

The angels arent angels either. Instrumentality has nothing to do with instruments. The dead sea scrolls arent scrolls. Words dont mean things. Besides no one knows what a bionoid is.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

glowing-fish posted:

Your contempt for me, and the fact that I can't make myself understood by you, are just a sacrifice I make for the spiritual reward of living as a self amongst others.

https://youtu.be/wDajqW561KM (Wark! Wark!)

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Even the penguin's name owns. Pen2. What a badass.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

edit all the alien stuff is from some psp game too i don't think its really "CANON" but then nothing is in this show so

Tough poo poo, u wrong, it actually is canon. It's stuff from the original design docs.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

nathilus please i just want my show to be about sad teenage japanese boys and jesus

The price of living an independent existence is that reality is not just whatever u want it 2 b. Apologies friend.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I found the Shinji choking Asuka stuff very disturbing and not consistent with Shinji's character. I didn't get what the point of that was at all.. Shinji is weak and fearful, he's not supposed to be a psycho.

Wusses snap 3x as hard as regular people, this is a fact irl too. He'd gone bonkers on her once before and during every single fight with an angel though, so yeah. It's perfectly in line with his character.

On another level, it works as a demonstration of the characters' psychological states without the need for wordswordswords. "Oh gently caress, I just denied a perfect if illusory existence for a horrific blood ocean and goddamned ASUKA!!! Nope gently caress this bitch." "Arg don't kill me, I want to live. I'm sorry about that poo poo I said before. I accept you. Life is precious." "gently caress. Ok, w/e. I am too tired to care anymore, anyway." As you can see it works much better with just the emoting.

Don't get me wrong though, it's disturbing as hell. I hated the poo poo out of that scene for a long time just because it's so nasty.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Izzhov posted:

Uh isn't the very last line in the movie her calling Shinji disgusting

There's a billion interpretations of that line. I prefer to think of it as, "Yeah, life does indeed suck" IE: she's back in that physicality she escaped from then fled right back to, and she's feeling every miserable second of it. Shinji is pretty loving disgusting but why leave it ambiguous if she's just calling him a ratfuck? Her disgust is probably more generalized given that she just got back from godhood.

skasion posted:

She accepts that he sucks

Word.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Welcum 2 anime it only gets worse from here! Nge is one of the series that can pretend to be semi-respectable.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

skasion posted:

The angels don't seem to have concrete or explicable motivations except a drive to return to Adam, their mother. Even Kaworu, who could be mistaken for a human behaviorally, descends to Terminal Dogma to search for Adam the moment he gets a chance. It's not that he doesn't care about humanity getting killed off by his actions, he is just compelled to do it anyway. It ties into the larger theme about how humans seek extinction/return to the womb.

Gendou tells Rei to merge all souls into one. I don't think his instrumentality plan was a lot different from SEELE's except for he was in charge of it.

:agreed: on both counts.

The angels are compelled to seek adam. You'll note though that Kaoru gives it up and lets shinji ice him. Why exactly? Probably because as Adam's personality he retains his original programming not to interfere with other life seeds. The spear was an emergency shutdown device but in this case it wasn't needed.

Keep in mind that just because the angels probably aren't specifically after humanity doesn't make them any less dangerous to us. Any one of them reaching adam would have likely caused a third impact that would have been a real, complete impact unlike the second. At that point all humans would be dead regardless of the fact the angels weren't specifically after us. There's only room on this rock for one phase-form of life. But its seele's fault that they exist here at all. Adam was appropriately E-stopped until seele hosed with it, and it's not like they didn't know what they were doing. They had the instruction manual, the dead sea scrolls.

Presumably Gendo's plan was somehow slightly different from seele's or else why rebel in the first place, but we're never told exactly how. But both clearly wanted to combine lilith, adam, and humanity. Adam is a part of the deal because he has the fruit of life. Without him, returning humans to Lilith merely resets the whole earth experiment. With it, that being becomes more than a seed of life and an ark for the ancient ones. It becomes something like a god.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Catalina posted:

I had a Cool Mom who not only let me watch Evangelion when I was 12, but after she had seen some of it, she said that she liked it enough that she wanted to watch it, too. We watched the whole TV series together, and when I was 14, she took me to my first anime convention, and we watched End of Eva together in the theater room. Her impression was "that was good, and a good ending." Years later, she told me that she was concerned about me watching the sexual content, but figured most of it went over my head. She never mentioned the ultra violence :911:

Congrats ur mom is american.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

thunderchief posted:

don't be afraid bro. basically it loving owns and the pace is crazy until like 75% of the way through and then it slows down for a while but if you can power through like ~15 not so awesome episodes the ending is strong.

:respek:

I made it until they killed of the patriot instead of mr. Space france. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

space pirate captain harlock is my favorite

the badass 70s tv series, not the dogshit CGI movie that came out a year or two ago

Harlock bird is weird, has flamingo problem: I cant understand how its neck supports its head. But the ship owns. Dude is coal rollin in SPACE.

• Locked thread