Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Well, it's been a ride so far hasn't it? What with crazy mid-season Hydra twist, crazy mid-season Inhumans twist, crazy Kyle Maclachlan...

Never forget. Best. Day. Ever.

...*ahem*, crazy end-of-season liquid rock abduction...

...crazy mid-season undead inhuman Ward twist, (*pause for mourning*) and crazy end-of-season LMD twist...and now we have a out-of-season twist with the revelation that holy poo poo, muthafucking GHOST RIDER is joining the series?!?

No, not that Ghost Rider. But can you imagine Nic Cage on the show??

The Story So Far
After his apparent death in The Avengers, Agent Phil Coulson was resurrected via the T.A.H.I.T.I. program by pumping him full of alien DNA and wiping his memory of having it done. Afterwards, Nick Fury put him in charge of a mobile team including Agents Grant Ward, Melinda May, Leo Fitz, and Jemma Simmons. On their first mission together, they "adopted" professional hacker Skye (no last name at that time, and yes we all know that's not her name, the gag isn't funny without her dad around.), who joined the team to provide computer assistance. They took care of a few minor threats, then Captain America: The Winter Soldier happened, and it turned out that Ward had been turned to HYDRA by his mentor Bill Paxton. By the end of season one, Coulson was promoted to Director of SHIELD (as Fury had faked his death in Winter Soldier), Ward was imprisoned, and Skye had begun full agent training.

Season Two started with the new head of HYDRA looking for an object called The Diviner that he'd tried to weaponize during WWII. He wasn't the only one after it, as so was Skye's father Dr. Calvin Johnson aka Cal Zabo. As the Diviner was actually a container for Terrigen Crystals that can mutate certain humans into "inhumans" giving them superhuman powers and possibly permanently changing their appearance. By the end of the first half of the season, we discovered Skye's real name was Daisy Johnson, and she became the Inhuman Quake. We were also introduced to three new team members, Al "Mack" MacKenzie, Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter. The second half of the season primarily dealt with Daisy finding out her mom was an Inhuman vampire, and a splinter group of SHIELD agents trying to seize control of the organization from Coulson who they believed was unstable. The end of the season had the team essentially going to war with the Inhumans under Daisy's mom, and ended with Cal snapping her neck and getting a TAHITI mindwipe, a crate of Terrigen Crystals dissolving in the ocean and polluting the fish population, Terrigen-tainted Fish Oil Pills being unknowingly sold in stores, Coulson's hand being severed in order to save his life, and Simmons being absorbed by a stone that teleported her to an alien world. Also, Grant Ward went right 'round the loving twist in the best possible ways.

Season Three began with the team helping newly minted Inhumans come to grips with their lives suddenly changing irreparably, introducing recurring Inhumans Joey Gutierrez (who could melt anything metal he was in proximity to), and Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez...along with Lash, an Inhuman driven to kill other Inhumans (more on him in a bit). The major threads of the season were the motives of the Advanced Threat Containment Unit, and Ward's attempts to resurrect HYDRA. The ATCU, run by Rosalind Price, had been influenced by the new secret head of HYDRA Gideon Malick, who had been raised to believe that there was a HYDRA God on the other side of the rock that took Simmons. Price was unaware of Malick's true loyalties. After Simmons had been rescued from the alien world (called Maveth), Ward assassinated Price (who had become romantically involved with Coulson) then Malick and Ward kidnapped Simmons and Fitz so that Fitz would attempt to lead them to the HYDRA God. Additionally, it was discovered that Lash was actually Agent May's ex-husband Andrew Garner. Coulson followed Ward through to Maveth, where he crushed Ward's loving sternum in

Quoting for :black101:
, and Fitz tried to barbecue the HYDRA God with a flare gun. However the "God" was in fact the first Inhuman, who had mutated into a parasite that could occupy any dead body, and joined with Ward, making him the Inhuman Hive. Hive's major ability was to control any other Inhuman, addicting them to his presence, and as such he wanted to recreate the original experiment that created him, but on a global scale. In an attempt to thwart him and Malick, Bobbi and Hunter were forced to be disavowed from SHIELD (actually an excuse to give them their own series...which fell through, so fingers crossed they get to come back!), Daisy's boyfriend Lincoln sacrificed himself to blow up Hive in low orbit, and blaming herself Daisy fled SHIELD adopting the Quake identity as a sort of professional vigilante. Also, Coulson gave up the reins of SHIELD to a new director, and Doctor Holden Radcliffe, a scientist Hive had forced to work for him under pain of horrible death, had created the first Life Model Decoy.

Also, Hive was pretty awesome looking.

So that brings us to now. This season we're introducing Robbie Reyes, the new Ghost Rider

Along with the new Director of SHIELD, played by Jason O'Mara, whose actual name in the series hasn't been revealed yet beyond him being “a character whose Marvel roots go back to the 1940s.”

Oh, and lest we forget, the dream is real.

Team Shotgun-Axe forever!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I just hope we get a flashback episode to close out that last Carter storyline. :( Don't just leave us hanging on that, ABC!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pander posted:

I watch it on DVR and still follow along with the thread, trying to time how far I read in the thread with where the show is at. Sometimes I get spoiled, but it's worth it for the :tviv: reactions.

Yeah, I get the season pass on iTunes and watch it while reading the thread. So far, no major spoilers so it's been pretty win-win.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Error 404 posted:

If they're bringing in Ghost Rider, then this season might be about more magic-y stuff with a tie in to dr. Strange

That's pretty much the case from what Whedon's been saying; how does the team cope with the fact that there is actual loving magic, that's not just the old "any technology sufficiently advanced enough blah blah blah".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Regy Rusty posted:

Simmons is going to be upset

Simmons and Fitz. Also, I wonder if they're going to keep Ghost Rider's origin as being a Spirit of Vengeance from hell, or change it up a bit to tie into Dr. Strange. After all, he's not the only being in Marvel who has a fiery head.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Klungar posted:

Is Dormammu in Dr. Strange???

It's rumored he's the actual big bad pulling Mads MIkkelsen's (sp?) strings.

Rumored.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
HOLY gently caress, how the good goddamned does that effect look better in a TV show then on Nic loving Cage?!? Because Luna isn't cackling like a madman while it's happening? Is that all it takes?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The eye effect they on the ghosts, were those really similar to the design of the antagonists that showed up in the Dr. Strange trailers?

Truth be told it kind of reminds me of something from, of all things, the SHIELD comic where Dormammu unleashed a mindless plague on the earth to pave the way for his conquest.

Which also ties into the running rumor of Big D being in Doctor Strange.

I dunno.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Calling a twist now: A major character dies. We think "Oh, it was a LMD! Whew!"

Then we find out no, the LMD was the one that survived, with a scanned version of that person's brain still in it, so the actor remains on the show as no longer human.

Turns out it's Ward.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zzulu posted:

Did the Nazis get any superheroes of their own or were they just constantly owned by captain america and ghost riders and stuff

There was Baron Zemo....but he was just some guy that got a purple sock glued to his head.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

sticklefifer posted:

I kinda feel like after all the Hydra stuff AND all the Hive stuff, May would be the first to tell Coulson "Hey that box that drove everyone insane may have affected me and I'm seeing weird poo poo now". If they drag out her not telling anyone it's going to be really stupid.

Nothing will ever trump the stupidity of the episode of Jessica Jones where she spends 2/3rds of the episode shouting "I need to be put in SuperMax!".

Then Killgrave turns up, and the episode is loving saved.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Because of course Cap would be Phil's first choice to be Director.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Also, she's not wearing the gauntlets Simmons made for her in the scenes where she gets hurt.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I still wish FOX would pull the stick out of their rear end and at least make an agreement with Disney to allow Deadpool to randomly reference the MCU.

(crashed helicarrier doesn't count)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So two things out of NYCC today. Jeph Loeb was asked if we could ever see the Netflix series cross-over with AoS.

Jeph Loeb posted:

It's a fair question. And the fair answer is... Stay tuned.

So no outright denial of the possibility, which is pretty awesome. The other thing?

Clark Gregg cosplaying as Ghost Rider.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So we may not have seen the last of Peggy Carter after all...kind of.

quote:

Hayley Atwell is officially returning as fan-favorite Agent Carter. However, this time she will be voicing an animated version.

Marvel Animation announced that they will welcome Marvel’s very own Hayley Atwell back to the beloved role as SSR’s greatest asset as the voice of Agent Carter on Marvel’s Avengers: Secret Wars.

In Atwell's episode, past and present collide as Howard Stark and Peggy Carter team-up with Iron Man and Captain America to stop Kang the Conqueror.

Not what we wanted, but more Hayley Atwell is always welcome.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't remember how terrigen works, exactly, but I assumed he was dead? Like what happened with Triplett before Daisy accidentally disintegrated him.

Only diviner metal does that. Terrigen gas has absolutely no effect on regular people.

As for the rest of the episode: please bump Yo-Yo to full-time cast member, have Fitz stab more people with pencils, someone check if that senator is someone from the comics.

And I would have laughed so hard if Mace not only revealed SHIELD, but demonstrated his Inhuman abilities by having his PR guy hit him with steel rods or something.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Bruceski posted:

I don't remember, did she shoot Ward? Now's her chance.

E: erm, paintball or something. I don't want Dalton shot.

Yeah, she unloaded a clip into Hive. It was awesome.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So Jed Whedon had this to say about how May will deal with her "death":

quote:

Well, she's May, so she's kind of like, 'Oh, that happened.' But she now has common ground with Coulson...

And Maurissa Tancharoen added:

quote:

[Dying] will impact her life in ways that you may not expect at this point in time.

So what's the over/under on May and Coulson talking then shooting Ward's dog?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Jessica and May drinking contest.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

I'm pretty sure all Frank's team-ups end with him trying to kill the other person at some point. Even that time he became a black man and teamed up with Luke Cage I'm pretty sure he tried to kill him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Personally just loved at the beginning how Simmons just automatically pulled her gun suspecting shenanigans.

Also, not surprised that Red Skull was after the book. But I appreciated the Whitehall name drop. Season owns, all we need is Cal getting un-TAHITI'd to make this a Best Season Ever.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So if the Watchdogs are recruiting from prison populations, they're literally a more well-funded Aryan Brotherhood now?

Also, senator lady is starting to remind me of Trump's mouthpiece Katrina Pierson. This is not a good thing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
But seriously, who put that adorable ambigram on the cover? Was it Mephisto? I bet it was; motherfucker loves Angels & Demons.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought the AoS tie-in was next week, before Doctor Strange premieres in American theaters.

Don't they usually do the major tie-in after the movie premieres?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WarLocke posted:

There was a miniseries? I thought the movie with Raoul Julia was the only live-action SF we ever got?

No...there was a second movie...and it makes the JCVD one look like Citizen Kane by comparison.

Edit: Spoiler for next week, the origin of Robbie as the Ghost Rider!

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 29, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Robot Hobo posted:

I disagree. Coulson's "Help me Obi Wan..." when he was faking Squidward out with a hologram last finale was the best thing.

:wookie::hf::wookie:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hope and vaseline posted:

I know this is far-fetched but I really wish they somehow got transported into the past for a team-up with Agent Carter

This, this, a thousand times this.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, Johnny Blaze confirmation?
https://twitter.com/IamGabrielLuna/status/793696180651880449

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So while Doctor Strange definitely doesn't have any direct links to AoS, I can certainly see AoS linking some of their plot threads to Doctor Strange, particularly the Darkhold and Dormammu and his worshippers .

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Only if we get Bobbi and Hunter back. :colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Spergatory posted:

Daisy was already in the comics before AoS though. Same with Coulson (though he was invented by the movies). Really, AoS's most significant original character contributions are May, Fitzsimmons, and Ward.

And all three are now in comics.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zebulon posted:

Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze doing a full explanation of the season so far in the same style as the dude from Ant-Man. his character from Vampire's Kiss.

:colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

its obviously about Satan

It's actually about ethics in matter creation.

I'll show myself out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Call me insane, but did they literally just science up a sling ring?

Doctor Strange is gonna suuuuuue somebody....

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OB_Juan posted:

Or that anyone else does?

Doctor Strange. :colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Hang on, why couldn't a Koenig give Daisy a lanyard?? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KOENIGS, SIMMONS?! WHAT AREN'T YOU TELLING US???

Yes I know Patton was filming/writing the new MST3K. But it still hurts dammit.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Klungar posted:

Based off of the Dr. Strange after-credits scene, it seems like at least some of Thor 3 will be taking place on Earth.

Oh god, let there be a team-up between Thor, Strange, Loki, and Coulson.

Best. Day. Ever.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hangedman1984 posted:

was mainly joking, but supposedly its cause Thor took off pretty much immediately at the end of Avengers2, Loki disguises himself as other people all the time, Loki is probably looking to make nice with Thanos after he failed to get the tesseract infinity gem and losing the scepter gem in the process, so getting another gem, like the one kept in Strange's eyeball necklace.

just conjecture that is probably wrong, but spoilered just in case

Actually, Loki would make a good substitute for Mephisto in the Infinity War.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

greatn posted:

Loki literally has the tesseract right now, and had the power gem but sent it away to the collector.

No he had the Aether sent to the Collector. The Power stone is locked up in Nova Corps HQ.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

Welp, that's what you get for getting into a chopper with your sister who hired men to kill you, and also the guy who tried to kill you unilaterally. I wonder if Vijay's power is that everytime he "dies" he comes back with a new power.

I'm curious who the Higher Up is going to turn out to be. I'm trying to think of some villain. But it will probably just be some new character.

Don't we already know who the Superior is? He's the Smoke Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Open Source Idiom posted:

How likely is it that Senator Nadeer could be an unactivated Inhuman? If her brother carries the gene, then she could be a potential carrier too, right?

I love me some Inhuman on Inhuman fights, though I doubt we'll be seeing too many before this season's third act.

Potential Suspects, in rough order:

* Ex-Agent Blake
* General Talbot
* Director Mace
* Dr. Radcliffe
* Another Ex-Shield Agent

Completely random outlier: Gravitron / Quinn Evil Powercouple

Put Ward on the list.

Just because.

Ok seriously, anytime they make a list of potential suspects on this show, Coulson should include Ward.

• Locked thread