Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Burning_Monk posted:

Also makes it so they can get a new director for the next season, which they seem to like doing.

It's Daisy's turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Maybe we can think of AOS as an hour long post-credits teaser once a week.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Klungar posted:

Wasn't the whole point of Doctor Strange that there is evil magic and it corrupts absolutely, and that trying to use those magic techniques, even for good, leads to your doom? If the Darkhold can compel you to do evil magic with it just by reading it, I can't imagine they'd let neophyte Sorcerers get anywhere near it, it would probably be reserved for the Sorcerer Supreme, just like the MacGuffin book pages from the movie.

The Ancient One used magic from the Dormommu realm and did just fine. No idea if she was Sorcerer Supreme the whole time or became Sorcerer Supreme because of it. I think they just tell people that so they won't think they are ready, when they clearly aren't. Also, Dr Strange grabbed a freakin' infinity stone and had absolutely no trouble not murdering hisself with it. He was just some dude at that point. Like, he was a fast learner and dedicated, but still just some guy you know. Yet he used the time manipulation in clever ways and did not destroy reality or break time forever everywhere.
Contrast that to the Collector's assistant in Guardians of the Galaxy who blew up when she touched the power stone.

Am I supposed to care about the IMAX Inhumans thing? I really don't. The royal family drama does not seem exciting at all. Especially if they aren't going to tie it into the existing AOS Inhuman lore.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic but the dud that was the back half of Luke Cage has really made me less eager about Marvel Television stuff going forward. Of course Legion is really loving good, but I don't think Inhumans is going to be like that.

Can you stream Legion from Hulu or Netflix or Prime or can you only pay Fx for it directly?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

Magic has a cost? Jesus Christ, was Marti Noxon an EP on the film?

That was a big deal in Once Upon a Time, too.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Except here, where we mercilessly mock things (and then get mad if someone else makes fun of them).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Doggles posted:

If you think that's bad, warp on over to the Star Trek thread. On top of a nearly year-long delay, the first episode of the new Star Trek series will debut on CBS's broadcast channels, then all subsequent episodes will only be available through CBS's "premium" streaming service. :ughh:

So, they almost get it, then don't.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Burning_Monk posted:

Watch things twice? Yes. And sometimes you can't find them, like Babylon 5. Or they remove them from streaming, all the big boys (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) rotate their collections. Also, you aren't always with internet. Sometimes I take them flying with me. It's nice to have some favorite shows on long trips. Or if I'm in a hotel with horrible internet. Congrats on being fortunate enough to have constant internet, not everyone has that or can get it.

I am a happy consumer that buys Blu-rays and soundtracks to support properties that I like and enjoy. I might even buy the Blu-ray set of a TV show that I watched live the first time around. I'm old.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

From what I've heard from coworkers/random people at the laundromat is that nowadays people use Kodi on Fire Sticks.

I'm so old, that sentence might as well be nonsense.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Perfect is the enemy of good. I have Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now, and no cable. I think that's like $30 a month for more good poo poo than I could ever watch (and I was recently unemployed), it's loving impossible to run those out. And if you have different tastes, you can probably find some combination for $30 or less that will saturate your every waking moment.

And if you can't? You're.a loving child who will only eat hot dogs and instant lunches. Seriously, watch a documentary or an opera or a horror movie or stand-up or a drama or a comic book movie, make sure you're still a child and it's time for another year of hot dogs before you go and buy a season because you can't wait a year for it to be free. Take 1/10th of the time you're watching poo poo, one week every three months, three days a month, or a month whenever you run out of poo poo, I don't give a gently caress, to try watching something a little outside your comfort zone.

But hot dog sandwiches are really good?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

flosofl posted:

Deliberate framing shots of actresses in bikinis, cleavage shots, pan and linger on tight fitting clothes. Things like that.

The first episode of this season started with a cheesecake shot of Daisy.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phylodox posted:

There's nothing wrong with cheesecake, it's just when the female characters in your show or movie exist solely to provide said cheesecake that it sucks, and Agents of SHIELD has a pretty stellar cheesecake/legit character moment ratio.

Plus they have Mac who is pretty easy on the eyes. So was Ward to be honest.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Is each Netflix show worst than the last? It seems like it might go DD season 1 > Jessica Jones > DD season 2 > Luke Cage > Iron Fist
With Legion and AoS both hovering around the DD season 1 range if not better.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

kayakyakr posted:

Finally caught up with the thread.

This is really sad to me.

Indeed.

He had so much fun hamming it up in that role.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phylodox posted:

Have you not been watching Legion?

Legion hurts your brain to watch. In a good way, but still.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Pretty obvious that HYDRA won, went public, took over what SHIELD was doing, and is using the organization to hunt down Inhumans instead of protecting them. The Watchdogs were right!

Not sure how they can drag out the entire last third of the season with this without it getting tedious since it isn't really happening. I'd like to see more of the aftermath of getting unplugged and dealing with a set of ostensibly real memories trying to overwrite your original ones. So much PTSD.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah it's both.

Also, The Magicians, while not as great as the other three shows I mentioned, is fairly ok and I don't really like fantasy or fantasy-inspired stuff.

Is the The Magicians just Mopey but Sexy Harry Potter or am I thinking about a different show?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Crazy evil Lincoln could be fun.

That's his Blindspot character. No super powers but really good at murdering people.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, if anyone wants to know why Sif isn't showing up anywhere any more they can blame that show.

Dumbest FBI team outside of the Blacklist.

Yes, but it is entertaining in spite of itself.

Edit: I'm the Assistant Director of the FBI and I also kick in doors and lead raids and do tons of field work for reasons. Not that it matters, my team has plot immunity so we never get shot but are also the best marksmen in the world. Also, my American accent makes it sound like I forgot how to breath. And the premise is based on a magic drug that can erase all your memories accept the ones about how to speak, eat, and take care of yourself. Also, a terrorist organization has inexplicable knowledge of future crime and tattooed it on somebody and sent her to us, for... uh... reasons? To help us stop even greater corruption in various other government organizations but they also hate the FBI, but have been watching me since I was a kid and engineered it so that I get promoted even though I had no idea any of this was going on until it was already done and I actually hate them and everything they stand for so I am not even sure what their end game is. It made sense at the time (it never made sense).
Everybody on my team needs therapy, like really bad, but the therapist turned out to be a double-agent for the bad guys. Whoops! Nobody saw that coming (it was telegraphed so hard I thought it was a feint to mislead the viewer).
Also, I have an on again / off again romance with the amnesiac lady who pretended to be my dead childhood friend and used to be a high ranking member of the terrorist group. We have no chemistry.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

You're right. Him actually being an Inhuman in the Framework instead of a fake one in the real world is perfect.

They art they posted of him makes it look like he is Patriot / Captain America and the face of the resistance.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

notthegoatseguy posted:

AOS just isn't even being subtle about commentary now and I love it.

Preview clip for tonight: https://www.facebook.com/AgentsofShield/videos/1394380403960137/

Burning bridges on the way out? I hope this isn't the last season, but it seems like this arc is all about giving a big ol' "gently caress you" to the current state of affairs in the USA and drat the consequences.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I want to see LMD Fitz find out what is happening in the Framework and decide to go after AIDA since he didn't end up with Jemma like she promised.
Like Fitz on Fitz action. "I love Madame Hydra! I love Jemma Simmons!" Fight to the death.
They really could be working toward murdering Framework Fitz and leaving us with LMD Fitz. Which makes me sad.

Edit: also, all of the hints that Framework Fitz isn't real-world Fitz or if it is, AIDA did some serious re-writes.

Edit2: That was her greatest regret. AIDA wanted to be with Fitz. She wanted to feel love. She was jealous of Agnes the whole time.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Yakmouth posted:

Sure, if you give your character brain damage you need to run with the consequences. That said, I didn't actually enjoy that particular character arc.

There had to be consequences or it was pointless.

Also, adds to the reasons Jemma cannot trust Framework Ward.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That brings up a good point. Do they have the right to shutdown the Framework? This is Darkholde magic, and, if Project Looking Glass is what it sounds like, it is more a parallel reality than a virtual one. Even Jemma was impressed by how complex the "programming" seems to be. These are people, virtual people, but people none-the-less. They have lives and memories and dreams.
Shutting it down would murder billions of independent consciousnesses.

I still think LMD Fitz is going to help stop AIDA just for what she did to him in the Framework. That's not what he signed up for at all!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

We don't know what Project Looking Glass is because Aida's story is clearly bullshit. She has no problem interacting with the real world so she's lying to Fitz. Even if she was somehow trying to get like Hydra out of the Framework and into the real world... well that just makes my brain hurt so I'm going to stop posting.

Does she, though? They haven't shown any interaction with the real world from inside the Framework, not even with Madame Hydra. She knows everything real-world AIDA knew, but I think she is just as cut off as everyone else at this point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Well yeah, obviously Radcliffe's can't escape now (and has nowhere to escape too) but theoretically the memory mechanics work the same. And May also seemed to remember the Framework when she broke free.

Aida's got no real reason to alter that even if she could since she has no intention to let them out. If the framework consciousness is linked to the person's brain then there might just be no way to keep that link from flowing two ways.

Although that does beg the question of why Aida hasn't just killed everyone. Apparently she's really embracing this Bond Villain thing.

AIDA's is a crazy, control freak that just wants to be loved. Her brain is not human and never was. Her motivations are alien and unknowable. She's like a Lovecraftian monster hidden inside a creepy, skinny, lady body.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

But then why doesn't she just body kill everyone now that their minds are in the Framework? It would be the same logic as killing Radcliffe. I guess I could argue that she perceived Radcliffe's death as a need since he had his own agenda working against hers but the same obviously holds true for the SHIELD agents.

But I also accept the idea (and have advanced it in the past) that Aida is effectively an alien being and we have absolutely no idea of what or how she's thinking.

The fact that she hasn't real-world killed the plugged agents makes me think more about her robot self and her Framework self being two distinct entities.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Why would Daisy have different powers? Ophelia said the world was the same as the real world but she removed folks greatest regret and that's just how things played out. She'd still be Quake because it is based on the world where she is Quake. The only reason Mace is Inhuman in the Framework is because that was part of his greatest regret.
It would be funny if they did that, but they haven't set it up for that.
Also, Ophelia seems to really enjoy having Fitz murder and harm people because her prime directives prevent her from doing it herself.

And the fact that AIDA seemed a little bit shocked and concerned that Mace died points toward AIDA and Ophelia being two different shards from the same core programming. I'd love to see AIDA vs. Ophelia and have AIDA just rip out Ophelia's heart because Ophelia is just puny flesh and AIDA is a goddamned robot.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

R-Type posted:

At first I thought there was a matrix-glitch and was like, "Isn't Mac back at HQ?

Tripp and Mac look nothing alike. :confut:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I enjoy that Phil seems to be falling back into his real world persona. I guess he'll try to rally the troops and pull everyone together. A contrast to how Phil's death brought the Avenger's together.
This arc / pod is excellent.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Not only did Mace die the hero he always wanted to be, he died committing the same heroic act that he was credited for in the real world. Mace is a hero in the real world because people think he saved lives by holding up a collapsing building in the Winter Soldier Geneva attack but that was all faked and Mace was ashamed of it. He dies doing the actual thing and proving he's worthy of what people believe him to be.

I caught that, too. Like someone else said, dying the hero, in this specific way, is fixing his one regret. AoS is poetic at time.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Jemma's whole "they're just computer programs, they don't matter" thing kind of died the second she saw Mack with Hope. That's when her whole view of this world started to change and get way more complicated.

So while, sure, on some level she's probably still all "Mace died for some computer programs" its probably gotten a lot more complicated than that for her. Its a lot easier to argue that in the academic sense that to actually let children die, "real" or not.

They even had Ward bring it up to really draw attention to it. Yeah, she may still say it's a simulation and it doesn't matter out loud, but she's starting to have serious doubts. Looking forward to see how far they take this and wonder if they will genocide an entire Earth just because it isn't "real".

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm about Warded out. He's reaching "Harrison Wells" levels. Wait, has he passed HR?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jamesman posted:

For some reason, I was under the impression that fake people with real counterparts were based off of the experiences and memories of the real people put into the Framework. So AIDA/Radcliffe didn't create someone like Tripp or Fitz' dad from scratch, but they were created organically from the minds of the people put into the Framework.

I'm totally willing to accept I'm overthinking this and "Darkhold did it" is the answer, because this is comic book logic, but is actually done well enough for me to not dwell on details like this.

It's possible but unlikely unless it was extrapolating from every single instance each person saw another person one time. Otherwise, there wouldn't be enough people to populate the city, let alone an entire world (which is implied).
So, that lady behind Coulson at the K-Mart (which is doing great in the Framework, thank you very much) was actually someone he nodded at when he was getting a bagel ten years ago in the real world.
But, if the Darkholde did manage to load part of the Framework on every single electronic device in the world, it'd be pretty easy to gather enough information to build a world based on actual people, not memories of them.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I think Ophelia plans on getting a human body in the real world and then immediately turning off the Framework because it will no longer be necessary and she'll be able to stop "preserving life".
The fact that Fitz wants to come out with her makes me wonder if she's going to build Framework Fitz a new body or just wake up his old one.
He's also the only person that isn't showing signs of who he was in the real world. Everybody else is, and Aida even commented on it, that they can't escape their roles. Sure, she called Fitz a "romantic" but that seems a stretch to be honest.
I just really don't know how they will reconcile Fitz when this is all over.

Anyway, Ophelia / Aida is the one who will murder 7 billion people and not even blink while doing it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I hate Fitz' dad more than I've ever hated a fictional character before.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chokes McGee posted:

Finally I can feel things like a real person!!

*is immediately shot by Jemma*

ow this sucks :(

Yeah, she does remember that pain sucks since she disabled that feature in her robo-bod, right?

I'm hoping her flesh body is actually just a female body infested with the Hive inhuman. Then we can have that arc all over again. It would give her super powers in the real world.
Maybe she can just incorporate every inhuman power she knows about into her flesh body? That'd be pretty cool.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aw, now I'm said it's spoiled.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Going to back to the Framework and are the people "real" or just simulations that think they are real. The real answer is: whatever the writers decide.

That's it. It's a fun mental exercise, but really doesn't matter.

We can debate it all we want, but the writers could blow it out of the water in the next episode.

My personal opinion is that the people are real because they think they are real. Like May Be was real because she thought she was real, but the LMD Fitz, Mack, and Coulson were not real, because they didn't think they were. Consciousness is personal and ephemeral. Hence, May Be's crisis when she realized she was a machine. Now she knew she wasn't real, but she still felt real. Was she ever really real?
You can easily defend a dozen different answers with evidence from the show, but, in the end, it's unknowable unless the writers spell it out. Even then, they could change their minds and retcon it.

Edit: philosophy 101 stuff, there is no one true answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Oasx posted:

Clark Gregg is doing an AMA in Reddit right now : https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/

AMA's seem very hard to follow.

• Locked thread