Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Prediction: the Russian(s) bring Ward back using the 3D printer, because they think they're getting an ultra-fascist inhuman hater, but they gently caress up by getting the wrong Ward. I mean, the printer has to factor in, the Russian(s) were loading it onto the sub, and I don't think it's there anymore during that second fight scene in the lab. Presumably Ward will be the one to finally finish off that head for good.

And I love how Aida went full on slasher villain at the end, that was amazing.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm guessing Vijay is the teaser for next season somehow. I have no idea how they'd work him in at this point otherwise.

Is next week's finale 2 hours? They usually are, right?

This is the first half of the finale -- there's only one hour left.

NowonSA posted:

I'm in the camp of Aida hanging around just because she's been a human and had powers for such a short time. I don't think it'll be redemption, but maybe she ends up depowered and has to run to the next villain for help, something like that.

Makes sense if they only get renewed for a final dozen episodes. Not quite enough time to create as impressive a threat as they've previously had, while presumably also closing off the few ongoing conflicts the show's been stringing along or has left hanging (Talbot, Graviton, Vijay).

Yeah, I could see them keeping her around for a bit longer, like they did with Ward.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

All the best, hoping for an official renewal announcement soon.

We'll know one way or the other in just over two days. That's when the Network upfronts are due.

Also, there's this:

Jed Whedon and Jeffrey Bell posted:

Did you write the finale with a sense of closure in case the show is not renewed?

WHEDON: No, we were told to write a season finale, so we wrote a season finale, not a series finale.
BELL: Or a s—ty series finale. [Laughs.]
WHEDON: It’d be like, “Wow, that was sad.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Vijay's displayed powers were super reflexes and the ability to recocoon himself, neither of which Aida has demonstrated.

I mean, sure, he was probably able to heals himself while in that cocoon, but that's not how Aida's abilities have manifested. Same with her reflexes; they might be fast, but they've not shown them to be motion blur fast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

But they did collect (harvest? ) his power in the VR world, so she probably has that one too.

Stunt Rock posted:

Did they? I may have missed that, but I didn't recall seeing it. She also may have only picked certain powers. The regeneration as we saw it was not like any person we've seen so far though.

Yeah, AN's right, they did.

I'll laugh really hard if the season ends with Ophelia sitting on the ocean floor, just like Vijay, going through the cocooning process.

Even better if she's right next to the dude.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, it's a full season renewal!

22 episodes, gently caress yesssssssss.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

I've always seen The Avengers as being the movie in that joke. Only features one cast member, but it's probably the only tie-in film that it's important to watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ashpanash posted:

The principle cast is under contract and as far as I am aware, must be paid per episode, regardless of whether or not they appear.

Guest stars, on the other hand...

As a function of Peak TV, guest stars have actually gotten cheaper over the years. Hence the way cast sizes have ballooned. We might have fewer high profile stars, but a lot of shows use large casts to cover for a lack of traditional spectacle. (Lost was the first to really do this, but pretty much any current action show does this. Gotham's a really obvious example.)

As a result, we're actually more likely to see more guest stars per episode in Season 5, rather than fewer. There'll probably be fewer special effects, but they might just cost cut severely on a handful of episodes, so the absence will only be notable for those few episodes. A handful of low-fi bottle episodes can be really good for a show. I mean, look at the way Farscape managed its meagre budget -- it had full on explosions and expensive CGI and huge practical effects, but a full third of each season were bottle episodes -- and that never harmed the show.

If they want to be sneaky, they'll cast stunt actors in recurring, speaking roles (something this show likes to do already, which the most obvious case being the Ginger Ninja from Seasons 2 and 3, who started on the show as Adrienne Palicki's stunt double. She's now married to their stunt coordinator.) which will reduce costs while maintaining their overall action quota.

We'll also see the current SHIELD base miraculously repaired in time for next season. That, or they'll confine home base to the existing Quinn jet sets and cut costs that way. (Totally doable, btw. Have them on the run for a year, and have the characters use the white module pods as bedrooms).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
At least I've not seen anyone mention Hitman: Absolution yet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Jed Whedon said that they can pretty much go anywhere that upcoming movies aren't going, but my hope is that they can at least go to some places that we've seen in previous movies and maybe get some movie guests again! With Ragnarok on the horizon, they could get Sif, and Zachary Levi is no stranger to TV. Not gonna hold out for any of the Guardians but maybe John C. Reilly?

Unless Blindspot is cancelled mid season, we'll probably not get Sif.

I could see a Tessa Thompson cameo happening though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Where's The Hatian when we need him?

The actor had a small, but important, part on Claws this year, and I was legitimately shocked to see him talking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yakmouth posted:

New theory — I’ve been trying to figure out what threat would be big enough for Quake to blow up the planet, and right now my inner fanboy wants it to be Graviton finally making his return.

Likely? Obviously not. But a man can dream.

You know what, I actually think you're right.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It that's not what the entire third episode is about then I'm going to be very sad

It's the fifth episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Is Iain De Caestecker shooting a movie or something?

Yeah. Not clear on when he'll be back exactly.

Definitely by episode five, which will be the Fitz equivalent of that one where Gemma gets stuck in space. Just him for an entire hour, basically. Uh, with other characters, just no regulars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bbf2 posted:

Also, I'm not going to lie, seeing Simmons (a strong competent female character that we've grown attached to over the last four years) turned into a mute sex slave for a weird blue alien just feels loving wrong and kind of disgusting.

I think people are going to jump on you for saying this -- and yeah, she's not explicitly a sex slave, she's more a pretty ornament with bonus utility -- but yeah, it's weird and gross in universe while also being uncomfortable to watch. That, and Yoyo being tortured and May getting a pipe through her leg (i.e. most of the women getting abused) were a big sticking point with a friend who I watched the premier with. I wasn't personally affected, but I see his point.

Inevitably this is all set up to establish this universe as the darkest timeline so we'll be basically fine with it being erased, but it's still uncomfortable to watch.

(I'm enjoying the season though.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 11, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I mean the Deke thing is the El Classico of fake betrayals in this show. If Deke does take the money, he'll use it to pay off Tess and the crew's debt instead or something like every dude who tries to not fall in love with Quake. Also, I have a feeling that Simmons is keeping track of a million things silently, knows the crew is coming and is on that deep recon. Kassius doesn't seem like he's really that perceptive.

I mean, perhaps. Or perhaps Deke is just banking on Quake dying in the arena so she can never destroy the earth.

But yeah, his betrayal isn't Ward level. Definitely "redeemable" or whatever the word we're using these days.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Andy Hallet or this show -- ratings are so baaad.

(Though they just filmed their 100th episode, which is lovely.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Strategic Homeland/Outer Terran Guardian Unit Averting Xenobiotic Enemies

Capitalise the N in UNit and you've got my vote.

• Locked thread