Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

The Venn diagram between the best audience for Agent Carter and the place ABC put Agent Carter--on network television period--looks like Sloth's eyes.

As a SHIELD-related midseason replacement in the exact timeslot as AoS was fine placement. There's really no better slot if you want to get eyes on it, and the Netflix shows have a completely different feel and interconnected meta-universe. Also fewer people watch midseason shows due to holiday schedules anyway.

For me at least, it was that I didn't think Agent Carter got good until late in the first season, and it still didn't get really good until season 2. By then they'd have already lost viewers and wouldn't get returning ones. I'm glad I stuck it out, but I felt the show took too long to start delivering on its premise of "Founders of SHIELD".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Calling a twist now: A major character dies. We think "Oh, it was a LMD! Whew!"

Then we find out no, the LMD was the one that survived, with a scanned version of that person's brain still in it, so the actor remains on the show as no longer human.
Aw poo poo, it'll be Simmons, won't it? And Fitz has to keep a version of her alive because the reality would break him, because they can't stop loving with that relationship.

PantsOptional posted:

Blue jumpsuit appears to be missing, however.
Also he is decidedly not a motorcycle hero. :/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I kinda feel like after all the Hydra stuff AND all the Hive stuff, May would be the first to tell Coulson "Hey that box that drove everyone insane may have affected me and I'm seeing weird poo poo now". If they drag out her not telling anyone it's going to be really stupid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

I couldn't marathon it like I could with Daredevil because of that. I'd also usually follow it up by looking at a comic panel of Luke Cage headbutting Kilgrave so hard that he caved his face in.
I guess this is more for the Netflix thread, but what really got me about Kilgrave was where he talked about being unable to tell the difference morally, because when you grow up just suddenly having this power and people will do whatever you want, how do even you figure that out? And once you do, how do you know if they're doing anything willingly? Obviously at some point he started exploiting it, but he would've had to be extremely careful of his speech around anyone he wasn't trying to manipulate. He probably unwittingly killed and raped a bunch of people before he realized it was his fault, so after a while he just stopped censoring himself and went full evil because it's easier than dealing with guilt over how horrible you are. Not to paint him too sympathetically because again, he exploited it to an extreme degree, but it leads me to wonder who wouldn't.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But that's in additive colour mixing, while "orange encompasses red and yellow" is subtractive. Ruins the whole elegance of the system. Really he'd have to be black, or rainbow.
Wait, so if it's subtractive, does this mean there are several different types of brown level clearance?

"You can't come in here, you're purple/yellow brown, not red/green brown."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xealot posted:

John Cho would've been pretty awesome.

I'd really like to see him land somewhere in the MCU. Also Daniel Dae Kim, but he's busy on Hawaii Five-O which somehow is still running (though I'm sure a Marvel movie wouldn't get in the way of that).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can have a discussion about racial casting without being offended, chief.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I know :smith: I like to think this is a subtle jab at ABC for cancelling the show, because I thought Agent Carter was pretty great overall. It's a shame they ended it on a cliffhanger - I'd really like to see the beginnings of Shield but I doubt we'll get that :(

I think half the reason people weren't watching it is because it was supposed to be about the beginnings of SHIELD but it wasn't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Talking about the new director as an old classic character is kind of weird when their depiction of him is an Inhuman and in MCU continuity can't possibly have done the thing the character is most known for.
Couldn't they say he wore the Cap costume at some point during Steve Rogers' disappearance? That wouldn't really mess with things other than nobody having ever mentioned it before. Or they can say he was the Patriot during the Gulf War or something. He's about the right age.

AbsolutelySane posted:

She has the gauntlets, she's just not using them. If you remember the suiting up scene in the premier, they specifically show her with them on. Robbie is right about her wanting to suffer.
This, plus she's all gothed out now, which in TV land is a quick visual cue to let you know she's self-harming. :emo:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

That and Coulson being alive totally fucks over the heroic sacrifice in the first Avengers.
People say this, but it's not like they wouldn't have banded together to stop a massive alien threat over Manhattan. There just would've been less motivation for it. Besides, if they explained the process he had to go through in an expository montage, and had some characters remain really really uncomfortable with Coulson hiding it from them and/or coming back to life, it could work pretty well in a film.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

Naw, Bobbi makes the most sense. She's a character in the comics, SHIELD agent who hits people with sticks fits easier into a Captain America movie than short middle-aged woman who is also world's best puncher or guy with cartoon gun, and she actually looks superheroic

And she's written off TV so there's a built-in disconnect.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chasiubao posted:

As someone who very recently blew through all three seasons on Netflix, it definitely does get much, much better than when I stopped watching at episode 5 or 6 of season 1.

Season 1 is definitely better when you binge watch. I didn't even mind the early stuff because I just breezed through it so quickly. Like anything discussed on the internet, it's never as bad as people say. It was just kinda mediocre for a while until Winter Soldier, but even then there were some good episodes among the early lot.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Did they ever say where the advanced weapons the Watchdogs had came from? Based on Luke Cage, I'd bet it will be shown to be Hammer.

I need more Sam Rockwell cameos in MCU stuff.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

It's merely very unlikely to have lived one's entire life in a country roughly 1000 miles from another country but have a friend there that you're close enough with to be part of their wedding party. That is, unless as someone else pointed out, part of that second country was a popular place for people from the first country to emigrate to.
Nah, that's dumb. If Daisy had an old friend who moved to Italy and stayed in touch, then invited her to be in her wedding, nobody would bat an eye. Hell, I've been in wedding parties twice for friends I grew up with, each of whom live several thousand miles away in another country.

Doronin posted:

Also, in terms in crossover, Punisher and Ghost Rider did team up and cross over a couple of times. It was a couple of years or so before Marvel went full on X-TREME 2 THE MAAAAX around 1994 (read: over-muscled everything, super-guns and pouches), at that point in time when they were first trying a dose of grim-dark storytelling. Notably. Punisher and Luke Cage also teamed up for a while, and the only reason I know that is because I happened to find those comics in my collection just yesterday. Weird thing is that I have no recollection of ever reading them, but there they were. I also forgot Luke went through a costume change phase where he looked an awful lot like Blade.

Yeah but that was also when everything was crossing over with everything. New 37 part X-Men/Avengers/Spider-Man/Moon Knight crossover with special deluxe die-cut gatefold hologram cover with 4-part limited series and one-shot tie-ins and #0 prequel issues!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

Anyway, someone already pointed out a flaw in my reasoning so what exactly are you trying to say?
That it's dumb to think Colombians having good friends in the US is so unlikely and glaring that it bears vocal criticism, so, carry on I guess.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PunkBoy posted:

Crazy Australian that uses explosive balls? James is Junkrat!

It was absolutely intentional. Several of James's lines in this episode were directly taken from Overwatch:
"Stop me if you've heard this one before."
"This bomb's for you!"
"Well that's a fine how-do-you-do."
"It's a perfect night for a little mayhem!"
"I'm on fire! Well, more than usual."

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 19, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Simmons vs Aida in a Fitz-on-a-pole match at Wrestlemania.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't they usually do the major tie-in after the movie premieres?

Age of Ultron had a lead-in episode that actually enhanced the context for the opening battle in the movie quite a bit, so not always.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Error 404 posted:

Am I the only one who thought Blade 3 was good because it was hilarious?
I never saw it but the only thing I know about Blade Trinity is that Triple H from WWE plays a guy named Jarko Grimwood, and that's hilarious enough for me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to say, with all the hilariously goofy Punisher alternates they've done, I am surprised they've never done where Castle dies and becomes a new spirit of vengeance to hop into a new body and keep a killin'

Wasn't that an issue of What If...? I'd love to see the MCU tackle that as an anthology series.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't remember my 90s comics lore very well, but does the empty infinity gauntlet do anything? Does it have any powers on its own or is it just a glove to house the stones?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now I want an episode where Coulson and Ghost Rider follow around a fire ant for 26 minutes.

YOUR SON IS A MORON!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"My sister betrayed me and tried to murder me, but I talked her down. Then her goons tried to murder me again but I beat them up. Guess I'd better go with the murderers!"
(instantly gets murdered)
"Oh my god how could this happen?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chokes McGee posted:

Phil Coulson's Stupid loving Team of Idiots

Well according to Marvel's movie people, the Avengers can't see him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm all for the weapons tying back to Justin Hammer. The MCU needs more Sam Rockwell.

Everything needs more Sam Rockwell.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hey, cool. Ruth Negga got an Oscar nomination.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zebulon posted:

May is going to be super-pissed when she gets out if she's re-living Bahrain over and over again.

On the other hand, when she was talking to Aida she mentioned that she gets better at it every time. So if she's reliving Bahrain in a loop, maybe this will actually help her get over her one big emotional obstacle and finally move on.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's been working pretty consistently. Standup and writing mostly, but work is pretty much the only thing that's kept him going.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fun little easter egg: The newspaper showing Coulson's obituary had his date of death as May 4, 2012 - the theatrical release date of The Avengers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, this is kind of House of M....House of C?
How many times did Marvel do that thing where they briefly canceled a bunch of titles and did a limited alternate universe/timeline series? I stopped reading sometime in the 90s, but I know of at least Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and Age of X.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The way it seems right now, the films are the core canon, and the TV shows are deuterocanon. They don't want to make it so that you have to have seen a full TV show to know what's going on in the films, and TV is produced faster so the movies can't have scripts and filming change to retrofit something that the TV shows do after the films have already started production. So you can have the TV content reference the movies all you want and still be considered the same universe as long as they don't directly conflict, but you can't have the films reference the TV shows unless it's really subtly in passing.

Personally I think the AoS episode that took place immediately before Age of Ultron really augmented the movie because you got the story behind how they found the base in the beginning, and the story behind the helicarrier at the end. But that's pretty much all they can do with this sort of setup: Use the shows to set up the movies. Granted there's no reason they can't just throw in a Daredevil or Punisher cameo with a short summary of backstory, but there's no way the films can be made consistent with the shows unless the shows themselves are planned way in advance too, which isn't viable when TV shows can be canceled or submit to the whims of network airing schedules.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just ask Norma Jean Mortensen, Joaquin Rafael Bottom, Mark Sinclair Vincent or Olivia Jane Cockburn.

What about Jan-Michael Vincent though?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay you just made this one up.

It's not an uncommon surname, but it's pronounced 'Coburn'.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo the title screen at the end. Is Agents of Hydra the title of this last arc?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

The thing I most enjoyed was that Simmons was having nothing to do with "good guy" Ward. She just immediately recognized that he was still a selfish, backstabbing psycho.

You and me, Jemma. We will resist the Ward rehabilitation attempt.

There's no way Ward is not a triple agent in deep cover. Even if May's different events changed things, it still wouldn't change Ward's upbringing and loyalties.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Brett Dalton should definitely stick around, but for his career. Last I heard of anything outside of AoS is him doing a WWE produced Jesus film.

I figure there are two potential outcomes for Fitz:
1) He's not in control and it'll be revealed that some additional fake layer of his persona has been added on at Aida's behest,
2) He has a way darker potential than anyone thought and it'll cause a rift between him and Gemma in the real world, at which point the show will rename itself Let's Find New Ways to Keep FitzSimmons Apart Every Season.

muscles like this! posted:

It seems like Madame Hydra is framing it like it is an alternate universe, not the "real" world.
Agents of F.R.I.N.G.E.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
RIP Mace. Don't you know that if you die in the game you die for real?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tad SG posted:

Also - assuming Aida wasn't lying about giving Daisy what she wants, maybe it literally requires Aida to have Daisy's body in the real world in order to overwrite her memories.

I feel like Daisy should just give Aida a location that Yo-Yo knows about.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if Aida completes the Looking Glass and SHIELD defeats her, but they manage to bring back Tripp and Nice Ward into the real world, and maybe Mack's daughter too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm mostly waiting for the other shoe to drop with Ward. He tends to wrap his personality around whoever's closest to him and he's super codependent.This episode spent a lot of time showing how much he wants Skye back, so I figure he's going to sabotage things and get in the way so he can keep her there. And then Gemma gets a told-you-so moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

Sorry, I see what you're saying now. Earlier in the thread, some people were suggesting that the 7 billion people were largely invented, and that the only people who had actual counterparts in the real world were the SHIELD agents inside, as well as the people that they "willed" into existence through their memories; I interpreted the stuff above as a continuation of that argument.

Have you guys watched Source Code :haw:

Better comparison might be the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

• Locked thread