Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xealot posted:

Not that this sidesteps the argument, though. (Black Mirror spoilers) You can still question how "real" people uploaded to San Junipero are. Actual Kelly and Yorkie are just as easily dead, replaced by soulless digital copies in a VR simulation. It's every transporter argument ever. There's no definitive answer given or attempted.

I'd say Framework people are as "real" as anyone, for similar reasons to most cyberpunk narratives. Consciousness isn't some known material...it's an inscrutable phenomenon, both in living humans and fictional robots. We accept that other people are conscious because they behave as if they are. "People" inside the Framework are honestly no different.

The answer is always whatever it looks like from the actual person's perspective. If someone dies and continues on in the Framework (or transporter or other virtual world), does that person still experience death, and then an avatar that thinks it's the original takes over? Or does the technology somehow allow a seamless transition into a virtual world for the user? For the former, it's not "real" because the original experiences death and then stops. To accept the latter explanation you'd have to explain how a technology could literally transport a consciousness. It's up to the writer to determine which one, but the former is easily more macabre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ApeHawk posted:

So, does every season have to have Fitz just become emotionally and mentally devastated at the end? Because we are 3 out of 4 now and I just want the poor guy to finally catch a loving break.

I'm cool with the relentless emotional torture of Fitz because it allows Iain de Caestecker to show more range, and he's fantastic at it. I hope he blows up big in cable shows and films after this is done. Things like his brain injury from oxygen deprivation, frustration over the space rock kidnapping Simmons, and now guilt issues over Mace make him the most 3 dimensional character on the show.

I'm glad they don't just gloss over this stuff, and let it become part of the characters instead of going back to status quo. Fitz and Simmons are changed people since the early seasons. Everyone is. I've always felt that what makes a sci-fi/fantasy series work is deep characters and greater focus on emotional moments/development for them; it's why BSG was such an emotional show and The Expanse is more about plot. AoS succeeds on both ends.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ojjeorago posted:

Blackagar Boltagon, King of the Inhumans, looks like he poo poo his pants just as that photo was taken.

It was to distract people from his terrible name.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There are so many better ways Daisy could've handled that.

"Mack, you have a hot superpowered girlfriend waiting for you out there, and if you don't come out of this fake world, she's going to drag you out by your ears. Also our world is not loving controlled by Hydra. AND you have a goddamn shotgun axe!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's that awful 60s comic logic where everyone's real name is an extension of their code name, just like it's pretty convenient that a woman named Harleen Quinzel who ended up the Joker's sidekick had a name that sounded vaguely like 'harlequin' and not like Bertha Schlanski or something.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spuckuk posted:

eeeexcept Harley is from the 90s, so they don't even have that excuse.

Yeah, I was referring to the Inhumans originally showing up in the 60s, with later comic characters like Harley being a holdover from that 60s logic. And before, probably, but I don't have an example off the top of my head.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Metropolis posted:

Also, I think Blackagar Boltagon is a great name just because of how obviously dumb it is. It's like if they realized they never gave a name to Iron Man and named him Ironius Manwell ten years later. Or named Batman Batcula Manzarello.

"You have been chosen by the Guardians of the Universe to become the holder of the ring of power, Dr. Greenicus Lanterno."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If they're going to change up the game every season like they have been, it wouldn't be out of character for this show to somehow give everyone powers next season - or the final season, whenever it ends up being.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm totally fine with the franchises being split, because it's already convoluted and overcrowded NOW, let alone adding 500 mutant characters into the mix. Big crossovers worked in comics because you had multiple series with issues coming out constantly. Good luck packing all that into a 2 hour movie. I have no idea what Marvel would do if they ever got the X license back.

The MSJ posted:

Might it have to do with one of the main stars being related to an important studio guy?
Maybe, but reportedly Fox in general loved the show so they kept it going. There's no way it would've gone as long as it did otherwise, and I say that as someone who loved Fringe. It was far too weird and niche and experimental in the later seasons to make it on its own.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like how Ophelia's only been alive for under a day and she's already the complete stereotype of a scorned ex-girlfriend. :byodame:

spaceships posted:

dude who plays fitz still carries the entire emotional weight of the cast's experiences one scene at a time
Goddamn if that scene where Gemma enters the pod and comforts him didn't make me tear up. Both of them are so good at emotional acting without saying a word.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Medusa's hair shouldn't be that hard. It's supposed to look unearthly and weird. I'm fine with it behaving like wisps of smoke or just deliberately looking animated, I don't need to see every individual strand in high quality.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Milana Vayntrub is going to be Squirrel Girl on New Warriors. Awesome, she's great.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/milana-vayntrub-is-your-live-action-squirrel-girl-1796783215

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

I, also, checked IMDB. The only thing I've seen her in was in "If Google Was A Guy Part 2". That still tells me nothing.

She does a lot of internet comedy content, she's been on @midnight a bunch of times, and she's a recurring role on This Is Us.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I read it as kind of a spasm or flex where like her hair is basically another set of muscles and she started posturing when Maximus got close. Its kind of an interesting play on the idea of her powers.

I'm not near as down on this as most, as usual. That was a boring clip but it whatever. Its some random 30 seconds and it did sort of put my mind at ease about Medusa's hair being passable.

Same, some people going back wanted to hate it preemptively before there was anything released about it, so anything is confirmation bias now. I never saw her hair as looking or behaving realistically in the first place. You can do that in a comic, but on a screen it should look a little off-putting and surreal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

hamsystem posted:

I'd settle for a new character played by Hayley Atwell.

Marvel Reveals New Series, "Ajent Peggee Karter".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

R-Type posted:

Why is that pretty good? Because 4 white people would have offended you? JFC.

"Pretty good" as in the show has a good racial balance. Better check your pillowcases for holes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow, Inhumans hit a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's only like 12 reviewers so far, which isn't nearly enough for an actual "percentage".

RT is weird. I've seen a ton of movies with low percentages that I really enjoyed.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember season 3 briefly became good again when Bryan Fuller came back for like 4 episodes where Zeljko Ivanek was playing a bounty hunter, but then Fuller left yet again and of course it quickly went to poo poo yet again.

I literally remember nothing about season 4. But I remember season 5 had Robert Knepper all like "HAHA I HAVE THIS BIG PLAN WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE IT HAPPEN" and then nothing happened because his plan was foiled and that was it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

Matt Parkman with a wife and kid falling in love with Daphne a woman at least 15-20 years younger than he is and in some flashforward or future having a child with her.

The twins whose only powers were literally crying stress poison, and stopping the other one's aforementioned crying stress poison.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The vibe I get from that trailer is "Agents of SHIELD: The GotG Season".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is AoS we're talking about. It's going to premiere, have another episode, a six week break, five more episodes, mid-season break, then several more episodes before a three week break for the finale.

It feels like this show has more god drat gaps then any other I've seen. That said I love it and I'm so god drat hyped.

This was pretty much verbatim the airing schedule for the first few seasons of Lost, until fans got super pissed about it and made them change it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't bet on SWORD showing up as some have suggested, if only because it seems like that's where Legion is going. I guess it depends on who has the license.

Elentor posted:

I'm not even gonna touch time paradoxes here but I'm not 100% sold on Quake blowing up the planet. That seems like the sort of plot device meant to distract us from something else and the guy who told us is very unreliable since that's just him "piecing things together".

Couple that with Tess saying everyone's got their own story of how it "really" happened.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm enjoying the plot so far this season, and I don't even mind the budget sci-fi corridors. What's putting me off is the new characters. I realized at one point I was watching a fancily dressed human-but-red-eyes alien talking to a fancily dressed human-but-blue-skin alien and wondered what campy 90s space show I was watching. They feel like early Star Trek TNG seasons where the aliens are completely humanoid except one tiny physical trait, like spots or a ridge on the nose.

The setting is a nice change from the status quo but the characterization all feels a bit weak. The humans are OK - Pruitt Taylor Vince is always great. Though Deek is a bit too boilerplate sci-fi scumbag, and Tess's one character trait is "NO, DON'T!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Slashrat posted:

To be fair, "human with cosmetic difference" is an aesthetic for aliens that the GotG movies and Ragnarok have already established pretty firmly in the MCU
This might be due to budget as well, but I guess for me it just looks cheap here. Like Yondu/Drax/Nebula look great because they use prosthetics and their makeup is elaborate. Red contacts just seems like the absolute most mailed-in option. I suppose this could be a critique on Marvel and/or sci-fi in general, but compare this season to a 20+ year old show like Babylon 5 in terms of imaginative alien design, even for its human-adjacent aliens.

That said, I like where it's going with the potential for Earth surface dwellers still being alive.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PierreTheMime posted:

The gang takes a fabulous tropical beach vacation to hotel Lernean on Nottatrap island.

Come on, it would obviously be Tahiti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Moriatti posted:

I thought for a second we were about to get space vampires.
If you want vampires in your Marvel, you'll have to look towards Sony. They're doing a Morbius movie for some reason.

• Locked thread