Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Great OP

Agents is still sorta flying solo on its night. Its partnered with a bunch of middling sitcoms that don't share any demographics. Doesn't help that its key demographic would probably rather watch the show next day on Hulu or after the season on Netflix.

What I am saying is only pay enough attention to the ratings insofar as to understand that they can be bad and this show can still escape cancellation if only just.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Agent Carter had good Live+3 numbers too

Agent Carter had worse overall numbers and flagging reviews and viewership. Its Live+3 gave it a boost, but not enough of one to save it. It also lost its primary benefactor at ABC and had a strange distribution deal that meant that it was not on Netflix and old seasons were not on Hulu, so there's that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Show is high quality. Still my favorite show currently on TV.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Guy Goodbody posted:

Still working through season 3. Hasn't this show done "we kissed, shouldn't we talk about it?" "no, we're not gonna talk about it" before?

Nah, all they did then was talk.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blazing Ownager posted:

Daredevil Season 2

Which was a sad mess. It was 4 episodes of a great Punisher story, a few episodes of a good Daredevil story, and then it went full bore into aimlessness with NINJAS EVERYWHERE.

However it was also the season that made me realize Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a chief parody of Daredevil more than anything else. I always thought it was a parody of other Marvel stuff.

ED: Still worth watching and if you haven't seen DD Season 1, go sign up for Netflix because that was a stellar, tight season. The change in show runner hurt, a lot.

He was asking if TV shows don't count, then the ninjas don't count either.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was fun.

The new director was great. Through everything, I was thinking, "oh god, a pleasant bureaucrat, the most evil of all." And then it turns out he's the white Luke Cage. I mean, superstrong, invulnerable is probably the most boring of all the superpowers, but makes total sense in that role.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm just sad we didn't get to see late-time-slot Agent Carter.

Would late-time Agent Carter have opened with Peggy butt to mirror the opening scene of Daisy butt?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GJ_FEake8
Chloe and Gabe also dressed up as Rocket Raccoon and Star Lord

amazing.

achillesforever6 posted:

I love how no one can tell that its Clark Gregg, guy has a pretty distinctive voice

he started out using a terrible NY/NJ accent for most of it. Sounded like a typical youtube host trying to be cool.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

HotCanadianChick posted:

But that means missing out on Cal having his best day ever, and not getting to see Brett Dalton portray two of the best villains ever on a TV show.

Hell, I'll give him 3. Traitor-Ward was cool. Crazy-Ward was awesome. Squid-Ward was amazing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
They've got a bunch of stuff going on. They seem to genuinely be more of a family than a cast. They enjoy the show they're making and the universe they inhabit. They are a bunch of pretty awesome people.

I like it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Good episode. A bit "filler" and Gemma trying to bring May back was a bit out of place (that's a powerful moment but juxtaposed against the wacky action sequences of Yoyo and the 3 amigos and shot with that strange wide lens, it lost impact), but otherwise, I had a lot of fun.

bio347 posted:

She has so much fun with her powers. It's great to watch.

I like how when she was disarming the EMP room, she was smiling the whole way.

ps: Boy Scout Fitz for Director.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Gorilla Salad posted:

Never stop doing those gifs :thumbsup:

One question about the episode - so it turns out that the Aussie guy was responsible for the Watchdogs hacking into the :airquote: secure :airquote: server with the list of all the names and up to date locations by, uh, giving them access to his watch.

Who loving designed this system and thought that would be a good idea?

I don't know that he was responsible for it. They used him to set a honeypot for Daisy, who had been loving up their poo poo lately. I didn't get the impression that they used the watch to back-door the server, though I might have missed it. I'm thinking a later episode will see a mole hunt instead.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hoping Mace isn't just straight up going to cave to everyone now. I like the aspect where everyone hates him just because he's too nice, not because he's a dickhead or awful person or whatnot.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Still predates it. Kid was born a twat.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was a good episode.

Was going to come in here and make a D'Dew joke, but was soundly beaten and I'm not disappointed by that. I'm hoping that her season twist is she's not going to turn evil. She's going to stay super benevolent because SHE IS THE SHIELD. It's her catchphrase after all.

High tech sling portal was cool, though. I think they were in an unstable mirror dimension and the collapsed version would have taken them to ??.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jetfire posted:

So wait. When Radcliffe said "FitzSimmons" helped working on Aida, does that mean Simmons really did help after she met Aida (did that happen on-air some time?) or was he just bullshitting because it sounded more legit that both of them were helping instead of just Fitz?

I assume that she had a conversation with Radcliffe sometime between her recognizing it immediately (she already knew, might as well tell her everything) or during the period of time between her getting the one over on Mace and everyone getting split up for the mission to the power plant.

Weren't they fighting about it right before? She was still upset that he hadn't told her earlier.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BreakAtmo posted:

The only issue I see with Coulson is that given his lack of powers, he would likely have to be a gun-focused character, which will almost certainly be a role filled by an RE hero - probably Leon.

That'd be OK. He's got enough unique stuff that he could be interesting: base weapon is an icer, some melee stuff to regain range, rocket punch as a melee special, destroyer gun (from the avengers) as a ranged special, robot hand shield, maybe the ability to call in strikes. There's certainly enough uniqueness there to make him an interesting character.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Don't mind me, guys. I'm just going to be over here mourning my hopes for a inexplicably good Aida for the next few months.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pussy Quipped posted:

Yeah.
I thought it was she had about 8 seconds of real time to move at superspeed then she gets "yo-yo'd" back to the original spot.

Pretty sure it was between heartbeats or something like that.

Who knows how her powers work now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
It's an awkward thing with the Inhumans series coming out. I think it's almost guaranteed a short-order.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Zzulu posted:

is SHIELD doing poor in ratings? Is that why you think it'll be cancelled?

It's not doing great. It's also beating whatever ABC had in that slot last year and has been jacked around by the election.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

greatn posted:

Loki literally has the tesseract right now, and had the power gem but sent it away to the collector.

That'd be an interesting dynamic I hope they explore. Since Loki took the throne in Odin's guise, he now has to act like Odin or be found out. In a way, he has no choice but to be "good" if he wants to stay where he is.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Aleph Null posted:

Next day on Hulu. Can't remember if it's all episodes or just the most recent 5.
It's not part of the no-commercial plan, so they're is a commercial before and after the show. It can detect ad-blockers.

Just the most recent 5 since series streaming rights belong to Netflix.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was... possibly the worst episode since season 1.

Mack's quips were worth him being in the episode, but only just. Otherwise he and yoyo were absolutely worthless to the actual plot (and wasted effects budget fighting a driverless plane).

Every one of the lines in the Daisy/Mace/Simmons B plot was forced and would have easily been the worst part of almost every other episode, but it was over (under?) shadowed by the even worse writing/acting in the Vijay/Senator scenes. She was terrible and he was written like the blonde bimbo in a slasher flick. Why would he get into that helicopter? I mean, I get following the sister, but that dude just tried to kill him. What gives?

I'll give the A plot some leeway, and I'm a bit happy they are going away from the robot gains sentience, turns bad trope. But they're replacing it with an even worse mad scientists is evil trope. This show's been so good at twisting tropes before, why screw it all up now?

Also Coulson has to know May is a bot, otherwise he is just randomly saying poo poo that's hilariously out of character for him. I'm guessing Coulson just wants to find out how well the sex bot works and figures real May is fine with being drugged and kept in a closet.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PunkBoy posted:

I mean if the only weapon you have is a gun, you're going to loving use it, even if it is out of desperation. And while I can understand not being into the Nadeer family stuff, that was kinda eh, this was far from the worst episode even if you ignore Season 1. We got an interesting take on robot sentience, evil John Hannah, nerdy sci-fi references, and a Shotgun-Axe decapitation. I'm pretty happy.

It had to have been the acting because it was just so... poor. Like everyone trying to be season 1 Brett Dalton poor. CW poor.

I dunno, this show usually has a whole lot of leeway for me. Mack's quips were about the only thing that went right.

And I'm sad that we have evil John Hannah. I liked him the grey area. Evil scientist is boring.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rhyno posted:

I figured from the winter finale that Coulson and LMayD were gonna bang and when RealMay came back it would cause major drama. I like the idea of having two May's stick around because then they can do stupid poo poo with that for a while.

With Coulson banging one while the other looks forlorn and confused. Which one is he banging this week?!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pee out my butt posted:

They just talked.

something something dog's name is Daisy?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

OB_Juan posted:

I thought it could be a reference, but it seems like they'd drop some more before they revealed anything like that. "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" is an actual line.

It's a well known phrase. It's possible they were throwing it out there subtly before introducing the organization in more overt references. This show likes to do that at times, which makes it funny how there's always someone who gets the twist before it happens.

Well, except for Season 1's twist that this would actually wind up being a good show.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah that was weird, did they even give him a name? They seemed to have spent some money on burned face makeup.

they didn't name him that I heard, but they seem to be setting him up for a recurring role similar to head watchdog guy.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, ratings-wise it's not great, but it's also one of the best of ABC's hour-long scripted shows in a real weak time slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped to a 13 episode order, but I think the 10-13 episode seasons are better on the whole anyway.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Episode was good. I'm getting tired of Nadir. She's by far the worst actor the show has had, and that's saying something.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Her hole big "operating illegally" twist thing was another annoying part. Yo-yo signed the accords and was operating in an official capacity under a governmental organization within the nation that has oversight of the same organization. It's part of the accords that Shield can use powered agents on US soil since they're now a branch of the US government, operating legally. The only thing they can get Coulson and Yo-yo for is trespassing, and since they're a law enforcement organization, they have some rights as an investigative force. Though let's overlook that they would have to operate similarly to how the current intelligence agencies operate and would have needed a warrant of sorts in order to place the surveillance in Nadeer's office.

An even bigger annoyance is that they didn't have a ready-made answer to what happened to the cash that Daisy stole because as far as I can tell, it was a hearing to determine if the actions that she took while operating independently were justified in the guise of undercover vigilante. They're really missing that PR guy right now.

I think we're getting a bit of timeline shock as well. It's been 5 days since May was abducted? That means it's been all of 5 days since Daisy was publicly revealed as working for shield and in that time we've had a failed inhuman extraction, a robot attack, an attempt on Mace's life, and through all that they managed to schedule a congressional hearing? Government doesn't move that fast.

Anyway, all of that is to say that the writing has gotten real sloppy since the break and Nadeer is a terrible actress.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I don't know where you guys get these crazy ideas. Being a law enforcement organization doesn't give SHIELD, or anyone else, the authority to wiretap government officials' offices.

It's called the Wiretap Act. Basically, you need a wiretap order that is authorized by the Justice Department and signed by a District Court or Court of Appeals judge. And the bar for that is pretty high.

SHIELD didn't need such permissions in the past because it was a clandestine organization. Not anymore though. Which is why they are in deep poo poo.

Which is what the whole last sentence of that paragraph was about. You'd have to think that Talbot, an experienced general and currently a ranking member in the US intelligence community, would say, "You're determined to plant bugs and/or wiretap her phones? OK, I know a guy that can speed through that paperwork."

If they had made the scandal that they were operating in a clandestine fashion without going through proper legal channels, then that would be one thing. But they made it about Yo-yo, which was the only part of the whole thing that was completely legal in this made-up world with its own set of international laws.

I mean, we're having to ignore a lot of stuff to make any of this plot plausible. Another example: Nadeer seems to have had her own private security force acting inside a US government facility. How does that happen?

Basically, all I'm saying is that despite it being a fairly entertaining episode, especially where the A-plot was concerned, the b-plot was absolutely awful if you want it to make any sort of sense. This has been a theme in regards to Nadeer-involved b-plots.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I was hoping for Nadir because

M-W posted:

na·dir
ˈnādər,ˈnādir/
noun
the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hiddenriverninja posted:

Isn't SHIELD under the jurisdiction of the UN, like the peacekeeping forces? I'm so confused.

It seems like the re-formed shield is a US agency. The original was under the world council (a UN committee), but this one has Talbot working as administrative liaison and seems to have some sort of official standing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

muscles like this! posted:

Well, according to Civil War the Sokovia Accords put the Avengers under the control of the UN so you would assume the same for SHIELD.

I believe that the rules are that a signatory of the accords must have permission to operate either directly by the country in which they operate or from the UN council. So the US can say, "hey, you can do your thing here" or the UN can say, "hey avenger, go save the day off in Syria" even if Syria doesn't want them.

If a powered individual is working for SHIELD and SHIELD is currently part of the US government, then the powered individual would have permission to operate in the US.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

twistedmentat posted:

He probably is only taking on roles that he's passionate about.

With the announcement of Capaldi leaving Doctor Who after this season, I instantly though of John Hannah as the Doctor.

Hannah is too much Capaldi. They might actually do a turn with a lady doctor this time around. Elisabeth Henstridge?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

twistedmentat posted:

Well, we know Haley Atwell is free.

Actually I just made myself sad because that almost certainly won't happen and that is really too bad.

Huh, she'd make a great Doctor.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doctor Butts posted:

Scenes with her running would be a little problematic.

Would require a substantial amount of strapping.

bloodychill posted:

That's the assumption, it just wasn't communicated very well. I get that they wanted to escalate the overall conflict by placing the Darkhold with Radcliffe while creating a back-and-forth sense of tension but it made for an incredibly awkward set of scenes. Might have been better to have robot Mei versus Quake or something.

Daisy is beyond May at this point because:

Doctor Butts posted:

edit: Daisy straight up breaking MayNot's leg was hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Rocksicles posted:

Anyone that wants to gently caress a robot, for sure wants to gently caress two.

Fuckin a

• Locked thread