Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm pumped for this.

I just really hope we get Hellfire back this season too. It seems like it's gonna be Quake vs Ghost Rider, but it'd be pretty cool if they get Hellfire involved too and acknowledge that he's also a descendant of the Rider line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Fitz and Simmons started off as these kids who needed to be protected at the expense of the other team members. Now look at them. Fitz can wreck people and Simmons has the cunning of a spy and doesn't let anyone give her any poo poo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not really feeling the whole self-loathing thing for James. I can't make the connection to how he went from the character we saw last season to what we saw in this episode. I don't know if there's going to be more to it that's explained later, if I'm missing something, or if it's just forcing a character to act in a way that's not in line with that character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

James also had to deal with the Hive shakes, and they even said in the show that he took it worse than Daisy. To go from murder and genocide and loving every minute of it to feeling nothing but emptiness and contemplating the wretchedness of your own actions... I'd say that's a very sensible place to turn to self-loathing nihilism.

Error 404 posted:

Add to all that, he wasn't a particularly likeable person even before he had powers. And not having friends or much support after all that can compound that bitterness and self-loathing.

E: this should have been explained better in the show, but its a completely logical turn for the character.

That's fair. Also something I totally forgot about that also totally impacts James' motivation: Hive was technically an Inhuman. I kinda forget that he wasn't just Ward and/or a space monster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like how they've been giving us plenty of Ghost Rider in every episode so far. People were worried they were gonna blow their FX load in that first episode and then just not show him on screen for large gaps at a time. They weren't kidding when they titled this season Agents of SHIELD: Ghost Rider.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I actually feel bad for Radcliffe. He's under the compulsion of the Darkhold, so all the dick moves he's pulling aren't actually his fault.

He's infected by it and it's making him be evil, but he's still managing to fight against it because his interests are in saving people. That one guy died because AIDA took her programming too literally, and even Radcliffe is feeling bad about it and trying to teach her more intricately about the value of life. He genuinely doesn't want to hurt people and his obsession with the book is because of the book's hold over people.

Please don't off him like a bitch, show. :( I mean, his situation is no different than when Daisy was infected by Hive, and everyone still saw her as a good person that was doing things out of her control.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nah he was an amoral dick even before the Darkhold. He will do anything to achieve his goal of :science:

Amoral in the sense that he would go to the underground and black market to advance his research, but he was never outright malicious or evil.

SHIELD reached out to him because they saw good in him. They kept him on after Hive because they saw good in him. They were right, too. He saved the lives of half the team thanks to his work, and doing stupid things and going out of bounds and being ethically dubious is what SHIELD is all about.

He's a good dude. I don't want the show to write him off as evil and kill him just because of the same poo poo that almost everyone else on the team has dealt with. He's not Ward for crying out loud.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We can at least take solace in the fact that two more will take his place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If we get to keep Ward, I'll gladly sacrifice a million Maces.

Please please please let them use Project Looking Glass to create an LMD Ward. Tripp.... ehhh I could go either way on.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ward is what makes AoS an amazing comic book show instead of just an amazing show.

I'm curious as to whose consciousness willed Tripp into existence. Mace never knew him, yet Tripp was a mole inside of HYDRA working for him. So somewhere in this created world, someone's history created a good guy Tripp who wouldn't have been killed in a terragenesis gas cloud.

It couldn't have been Daisy or Simmons, since they weren't in the Framework, it couldn't have been May, Fitz, or Coulson, because they were all in on the HYDRA train. Even though he's not real, could it have been Ward? Could Tripp be a ghost of a ghost?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Nobody willed him into existence, he just didn't die. The thing that killed him never happened in this world, ergo, still alive.

For some reason, I was under the impression that fake people with real counterparts were based off of the experiences and memories of the real people put into the Framework. So AIDA/Radcliffe didn't create someone like Tripp or Fitz' dad from scratch, but they were created organically from the minds of the people put into the Framework.

I'm totally willing to accept I'm overthinking this and "Darkhold did it" is the answer, because this is comic book logic, but is actually done well enough for me to not dwell on details like this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

Put Ward in Mack's body! That's a terrible idea but now you all have to live with it too!

Combine Tripp, Ward, and Mack into a new body, and their three personas are in constant conflict with each other and fighting for dominance.

It worked on Gargoyles and it will work now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

What are the chances we maybe get some Skrull action?

Or do you think it will just stick with Kree based stuff?

FOX has the Skrulls, I'm pretty sure. I'd say they could have the Chitauri, but that much CGI work is a lot to ask of a TV show.

• Locked thread