Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

xtal posted:

Also another big difference is that nobody has lynched Delaney. Like get out of here with that dumb poo poo.

For real dude

On a personal level, I grew up with enough people who used gay as an insult in the late 2000's and other colorful language, but by no means would I argue it's not worthwhile to revisit that and flag it for how dumb it was.

The EIC lost his job likely much more due to the pay discrepancy and treatment than old photo. Delany might be a better person now, so we'll have to follow that plot thread.

Like, get that you're likely trolling but

quote:

Honestly, it's the same thing.

Christ. Calling out lovely past behavior is good. Assuming someone is a criminal based on their skin color and no knowledge of their past is not. This isn't hard.

edit: Yowza, yeah, this is the good kind of calling out

piratepilates posted:

An article by business insider with some more info dropped. Apparently it was being written even before the recent blow-up.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bon-appetit-adam-rapoport-toxic-racism-culture-2020-6?utm_source=reddit.com

35,300 in NYC is covering rent and nothing else. That aside, not getting a raise in two years is a joke. drat.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/JacksonKrule/status/1270330989353545730

Yeah, the recent revelations are a clear pattern. It's very, very good all this is coming to light. Hope they win the battle, or poo poo, find good homes otherwise.

It's a slight comfort knowing most of the folks Bon Appetit have elevated likely have large enough fanbases at this point to seed their own endeavors regardless.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Man, this story she was pitching sounds amazing – it sucks that the only resp she gets on it is "if you want to pitch, pitch digital" and nothing else.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rapoport just digging further into the hole / doesn't understand how 'off the record' works.

https://jezebel.com/read-some-conde..._source=twitter

quote:

Jezebel would accept that a source who doesn’t work in media might not know this and we would direct our reporting accordingly.

But in this case, we are choosing to publish this email both because of Rapoport’s (former) position as a revered editor at a globally renowned brand and because I spent my entire morning processing its tone—a tone that seemed to reflect precisely the type of entitled microaggression that Bon Appétit staff has bravely risen up against

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

droll posted:

It's because all of these mid and senior level managers have nothing to do when working from home unable to pretend they're busy.

They also turned all the mid-level staff into the face of the company. Unlike a lot of situations like this, the chef's have substantial leverage.

Also:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1270888855038656517

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 11, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah, salary discussion amongst us peons is socially taboo to a lot of people. Your boss and my bosses boss might learn what you make during contract negotiations, but it's not like they remember the exact amount for the rest of the year.

It's also worth remembering that the pay discrepancy is not a "you're brown so get paid less" clause, but probably couched more in language like "you're new (or an assistant editor, or a contractor, etc.) so you should make less". To most folks, that logic tracks, and doesn't warrant further examination.

It's only when ya zoom out and see the whole picture – she's got more experience than colleagues, is wicked smart, and isn't being compensated for the vids, doesn't have the opportunities – where it becomes clearer it does.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 13, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It feels like a subtweet dig at Gourmet Makes to have her on talking about tempering chocolate, hah.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They couldn't even meet the fair payment demand, gently caress.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.businessinsider.com/bon-appetit-test-kitchen-priya-krishna-rick-martinez-2020-8 with contract details

quote:

Contract negotiations began with Condé Nast Entertainment — the publisher's video arm — in mid-June, the talent said. El-Waylly received a new version of her contract on June 8, she told Business Insider. It offered a $20,000 raise; El-Waylly previously said she was "insulted and appalled" at that offer as other stars allegedly earn much more over time in per-episode fees.

On June 19, she told Condé Nast Entertainment that she would not host or appear in any further videos.

"I think they're very risk-averse," El-Waylly told Business Insider. "I think that more people of color are going to be more visible in food media. That's more of a progressive thought, but Condé is a bit conservative and risk-averse. Maybe they'll do it in five years after someone else makes it cool."

The contract battles for Krishna and Martinez lasted five weeks, they said. Both received identical contracts at different times that reflected a new pay structure: a $1,000 day rate for hosted videos; $625 for videos in which other talent members made an appearance of two minutes or longer; and $0 for videos in which their appearances were shorter than two minutes. The contract was reviewed by Business Insider.

Condé Nast Entertainment management told the entire Bon Appétit video talent of the new structure in a Zoom call on June 18. These rates constituted the base pay — meaning some were eligible to earn more per appearance than what was outlined above. Martinez and Krishna said they would have received only that base pay.

In the same contract that outlined their daily rate, it also guaranteed 10 video appearances per year. This differed from the contracts reviewed by Martinez that some of their white peers receive where guaranteed appearances total up to 60, he said.

According to Martinez and Krishna, this would have meant a pay cut for Martinez and a very slight bump for Krishna. Ultimately, they said they would still be paid less than their white counterparts.

It's unclear to Martinez why Condé Nast Entertainment was unable or unwilling to provide a meaningful pay increase for the three cooks of color. "With this company, it's just mind-boggling," Martinez said. "The only thing I can work out in my head is that the sanctity of the institution is more important than some of the people who work there."

As of August 6, negotiations are still ongoing for everyone at the company save for Krishna, Martinez, and El-Waylly.

With the departure of these three stars, it's clear that if the Test Kitchen does ever return, it won't be the one that fans fell in love with. A Condé Nast spokesperson said in August that programming with new and returning on-camera talent is forthcoming.

"As new leadership at both Condé Nast Entertainment and Bon Appétit join the team in the coming weeks, new video programming with new and returning talent will also be announced," the spokesperson said.

El-Waylly predicts that the Test Kitchen will go the way of Condé Nast's other video brands like Vogue and GQ, which mostly feature celebrities — who provide guaranteed clicks and cash for the publisher.

"I don't think they're going to invest in regular people ever again," El-Waylly said. "If just part of the team returns and then new random brown people, that's so transparent — people aren't that stupid. But maybe if they get Beyonce I'll watch."

What a bummer all around.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

From the sounds of it, the video was also something that sprouted up around already established jobs. Like one of the beefs it seems is that people were pulled into it... in addition to their regular salaried duties.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Really enjoying seeing Sohla & pals pop up in various other media publication's vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_0DyDpurtM

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yay Sohla

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Another Stump Sohla! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZV-jGJ6w. Makin' a seven course tasting menu with foods from NY bodega.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grem posted:

I really like how two of these Sohla/Babish videos stuff just doesn't taste good. It's very much Sohla just loving around and it'd be a little disingenuous if everything worked perfectly. That was actually one thing I didn't like about Claire's stuff, everything worked out, every time. Even when it didn't work out it tasted good.

Benefit of making sweets is even when it's not perfect, you're still making a vehicle for butter & sugar.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's really gross. I feel bad for the new folks, as I'm sure they're nice people and good chefs... but geez. I think they fundamentally don't understand the best thing old BA had going for it was how natural it felt. Hiring a food network star is just the antithesis of what made the old vids so delightful.

Not to mention "We hired a firm to tell us we didn't legally discriminate and they said we didn't discriminate so ignore the majority of the cast quitting" is so thoroughly unconvincing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

toplitzin posted:

Nice how they also released a video from Chris today so they have an "We released them at the same time, clearly the public prefers the non minority content. We were right the whole time."

Probably, and that's the other thing that sucks about this half-hearted rebrand.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I can dig a hot ice cream cake challenge. GBBO does a great job of, even when the bake is a disaster, judging other characteristics well (taste and such). & it's not like the heat was impacting just one contestant.

I'm just glad they haven't fallen into a typical game show hole where they add gimmicks to the bakes. "Spin the wheel OoooOOo you have to do your bake with one hand! And youuuu can't use any bowls OoooOoooOoo".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think the disconnect comes from that BA presented these folks super casually, which masks that most of these folks came from situations that allowed them to go to ivy schools, move to Europe and work at fancy-rear end restaurants. It's like when you learn Anthony Bourdain's parents were an executive for Columbia records and an editor for the New York Times.

It doesn't diminish their accomplishments or change the fact that they are good/great at what they do – but it does tinge a bit when so much of the brands are about being 'relatable'. Gourmet Makes was still grade A stuff, and Bourdain was still a great writer. Tho I can see how it could feel like a slight betrayal given the Brand.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

The hell is wrong with you guys?

quote:

i am SHOCKED by this unexpected turn of events"

quote:

W R O N G

I mean again, a lot of the branding for em' is that they're regular folks like you & me. It's like when you're a kid visiting a school mates house for the first time and learn they live in a mansion.

These feel like over-reactions to some fairly light conversation :shrug:. It's fine to feel a little shocked by it if someone hadn't considered it before, and no one is saying they hate those folks for it.

Also,

Thanks for this. God drat this guy has the voice of room temperature butter.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 27, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New Rick Martinez vid – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWlZywX72n8. Digging his series so far.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's funny because all they had to do was call it a pumpkin soup and maybe elude to the Haitian recipe as an inspiration (like they do now). This'll get used as an example of "PC Police", but it speaks more to that BA still isn't doing decent QA on cultural recipes. Surely in NYC there's people from those cultures they can swing these things by.

Speaking of, feels bad that at the end of Gaby's vid the next recommendation was a BA vid. I hope she finds decent success with that venture. Seeing her debut vids compared to Claire's is striking in what greater production gets ya.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 3, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah. I think Claire was easily the most franchisable personality from that stable, so makes sense free agent food content producers are gravitating towards her.

Largely why I'm more interested in what Sohla, Pyria, Gaby, and Rick will do. They've got a momentum, but nowhere near the gaurenteed ssuccess that comes with being that marketable. I think I mentioned this before, but god drat is it stark looking at Claire's channel debut vs. Gaby's. Someone with limited resource's trying a thing out vs. someone working with the best in the biz. Wishing both all the best, but clearly the former will need more of our support.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 4, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just the best. :smith:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Manwich posted:

I like the subtle shade Rick throws about how easy it is to temper chocolate.

It was subtle until the stinger at the end, lol. Not gonna lie, I'm on board for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5odneOsxNTw

Babish v. Sohla in a bake off, w/ the hot ones guy and Carla as judge.

Kind of happy BA exploded, as the amount of cool cookin' vids that have come out since are so delightful and out there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

the fact that he apparently scrambled to make the place look decent because the architecture magazine wanted to do the video says a lot

My impression is YT don't pay for poo poo, but sponsorship, book deals, and owning your own cookware line sure do. It's kind of hilarious how he flat out says the apt was barren before they hired some interior designer to make it look nice for them. He mentions how this is his 'first house' which makes sense given he lives in Brooklyn.

Eat the rich and all that, but eh, money happens to worse people doing worse things.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://twitter.com/tomgrundy/status/1349036436863913987

Apparently he's popular enough that China will get mad at him

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They have a disclaimer as the top comment now, lol.

quote:

Hi, we realize there are safety concerns about this video and want to make sure everyone is able to try out these recipes as safely as possible --

Canning at home is tricky, but it can be done in a safe and consumable way. We chose a water bath canning method for this video in order to demonstrate, for camera, how proteins coagulate and flavors change during the canning process but the way that we demonstrate canning in the video is not shelf stable or meant for long term storage.

We regret that we didn't provide the whole picture but if you do want to can seafood safely at home follow these tips:

1. Cook seafood to internal temperature by type:
Trout = 240 Degrees Fahrenheit and held at temperature for 60 minutes
Mussels = 240 Degrees Fahrenheit and held at temperature for 46 minutes
Lobster = 240 Degrees Fahrenheit and held at temperature for 46 minutes

2. Have a high-pressure cooking system for low acid food (this includes meats, seafood, dairy, and vegetables); pressure cooker temperatures can reach 250° Fahrenheit. This added temperature coupled with steam, results in super-fast and hot cooking times for canning.

3. Be abundantly cautious if you don't have a professional jar sealer: if you are making this at home, we recommend you refrigerate and consume within a couple of days.

Read the USDA How to Guide Complete Guide for Canning at Home: https://www.healthycanning.com/wp-content/uploads/USDA-Complete-Guide-to-Home-Canning-2015-revision.pdf

Why is the video still up as is without that added in lol.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 30, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

oh, hard agree, which is why it's fun to see em' fall on their face

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not to spoil too much, but Acaster's season is the current peak of the show. Just amazin' cast.

That said, yeah the other nine seasons are also pretty fantastic and well worth a watch! They use peas and eggs a lot.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Speaking of flat charisma, is there a good collector out there of bad cooking shows? Along the lines of Sandra Lee's many weird creations, or this lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lf4qFL9nGU, or even Cooking with Hoarders. Love them so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Combo posted:

Jim Beam did an updated version with that chick in it, and it included some in jokes from what was happening in the original shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJS46ejIU_g

Oh good for them. Also thank you all for the wonderful cooks. Keep em' coming

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Don't care what Morocco is doing.

He's still there, making vids. On the one hand, can't blame him, dude's got a family and BA works for him. At the same time, bummed out he couldn't read the room and likewise split off on his own. It's a sinking ship, and it's a good thing it's sinking.

Seconding the ReplyAll on BA. It's a good listen to how institutional the issues were.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The original sin of Gimlet Media was and will always be canceling Starlee Kine's phenomenal 'Mystery Show'. If you haven't given it a listen, def do: https://gimletmedia.com/shows/mystery-show. If memory recalls correctly, it was the first show to really go big and they immediately killed it in favor of pushing other programming.

She's gone on to other pastures, but pretty frequently notes how poo poo their culture was.

That said, separating art from artist the RA's on BA has been very good. Hope the hosts actually reckon with how that situation mirrors. One of the hosts stepping down is a good start.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/QzqvtqyqxiE

This channel really should be insufferable because it starts out as just a rich kid doing rich kid poo poo but he discovered that when he gets his dad (Susur Lee, an actual Iron Chef from IC Canada and international restauranteur) to use fast food to make better food, he gets views. So he’s done that more recently.

The kid is kinda lame but it’s funny to see a legit chef like Susur Lee at home, he’s very chill and it’s interesting to hear him talk about fast food (like comparing the CFA chicken Sando to the Popeyes one), but it’s even more dope to watch him turn fast food into fancy food, even if it’s not like “easy, you can do this at home”

Ditto Eke here. The chef talking through the food is fantastic.

The kid's insight is comically dumb, love this. "I like how the rice is still hot because it was inside the thing" grade A commetnary.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 18, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

My understanding was it wasn't a lack of topics, but timing, budget, and Gimlet's culture.

Also I wouldn't in a million years consider those duds. The ending to the Brittney episode is incredible. & the Jake Gyllenhaal height ep ended with an appearance on Conan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR_MZy7vBTo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

Time magazine says Sohla is one of the 100 emerging leaders shaping our future

https://time.com/collection/time100-next-2021/5937716/sohla-el-waylly/

Seems kind of lofty praise but I'll be honest and say I recognize her more than most of the people on the list

These lists are garbage, but hey, praise away imo. It's kind of a bummer they don't really emphasize her skills as a cook/host there much at all.

That Ethan fella is making good stuff. It feels like a throwback to see a channel putting out <10 minute videos too, bless his heart.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

eke out posted:

they've officially cancelled the Bon Appetit series of reply all lol

wait they aren't even going to release the rest of the episodes? Bleh, just release them as is ya cowards.

The Gimlet situation is worth analysis, criticism, and the fall out seems completely appropriate - but they were also telling the story of BA in a really thorough and good manner. I suppose it's separation of art and artist, but I was still looking forward to the next two parts.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

And even with everything else being equal, coming into a diffrent channel to start poo poo in the comments, when the person using your recipe is nothing but respectful, is incredibly pathetic. More so when you remember Kenji is an MIT graduate and the son of a Harvard Alumnus, So maybe Kenji should keep his mouth loving shut when he talks about what poor people are able to cook

I feel like you're seeing a level of aggression that just isn't really there. The guy responded to a video of a fan remastering one of his recipes, and compliments it more than a few times. That seems kind of dope to me :shrug:.

Kenji posted:

Hey, nice video and great recipe ideas. My recipe has a lot of extra parameters that are required for the magazine. First, it has to be super simple to make (can't grind it yourself, no additional recipes like pickles or toppings, etc), it has to meet certain nutritional thresholds (no chicken skin, lean ground meat), ingredients have to be inexpensive and available in supermarkets in very poor neighborhoods, no special equipment like food processors or stand mixers, etc.

Different recipes for different parameters, different audiences, different needs.
For flavor, I'm not sure if you got it in your newsletter, but there were a couple flavor variations (one with parmesan cheese, one with roasted chiles) that address the plainness of the basic recipe.

Nice work though, I liked the video!

...and like Sweat Poteto pointed out, it's from a kids magainze. No duh they're going to not that kids shouldn't use knives on their own.

Kenji's great and his book is too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Grem posted:

If you write a children's cook book and don't add that using a knife should be done with adult supervision you will be sued into dust almost instantly.

Whether a kid can use a knife is super besides the point, because this ^^^^^. You won't find a summer camp around that doesn't have some form of knife safety for campers, regardless of age.

Gaius Marius posted:

And put emphasis on teaching the Child some basic techiniques and leaving some of the calls on what to prepare on them so they understand both the method of cooking and how they can adjust it to fit their own needs.

Sure, yes, good. But, and hear me out, maybe a recipe about chickpeas burgers in a kids newsletter doesn't have the time or space to do all of that. I mean poo poo, Kenji has a playlist of 11 videos teaching knife skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnUJEOXQCg, it's not like he isn't providing ample content that teaches people this.