Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the survival game genre has been interesting to me but i haven't stepped in and touched the poop since OG dayZ. when I saw the giant snake wrap around the building and the statue walk over and punch it in the face I was sold, you can have my thirty bucks funcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
mods please change my name to Dong Slider

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Best spot I've found so far is the double oasis North of the city. There's iron and coal loving everywhere, humans to farm for thralls and of course plenty of plants and stone.
I haven't had this much fun with a clearly dogshit game in a long time. My friends and I have made the whole production chain that lets you get iron gear and it's pretty nuts--it at least doubles your yield on every resource node. Whats the fastest way to get xp apart from going into a spider cave and getting tons of corruption? We're still working on figuring out how pretty much everything works. Also haven't seen any giant monsters like in the trailer, although the NPCs nearby are clearly working on something.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ah yes, the glory days of trolling second life players. truly the days of, glorey

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
how cool would it be if this game had a persistent new vegas style reputation system that applied to your clan. Fully fledged NPC cities based around some strategic resources and you can either be their homie and trade peacefully with them or use them for cattle. would give PVP factions something to fight over which is always a problem in these games.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hammerstein posted:

I'm a loving idiot....

I trusted the review on Comparegamehosting.com, but now I looked up other sites and it seems Survivalservers.com is one of the worst solutions you can opt for.

they're the top rated on that site under host rating? what makes you say they're the worst? I am waiting to pull the trigger but was gonna go with those guys.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I got a server from nfoservers and quickly realized I am in way over my head. I can't even figure out how to change the name or configure the server at all. What is FTP??

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I went with nfoservers not knowing dick about being a server admin and they answered my support ticket and got me up and running in about 45 minutes. Shockingly good customer service and the server is running well. I don't have any frame of reference but this seems much better than the other poo poo shows occurring right now.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
hey folks. I rented a server at nfoservers and have been playing pretty consistently.

I've made a few tweaks to make the game a little easier in rough spots and tried to balance out crafting XP, food spoilage and a couple other things. We're mostly small clans and the major rule is don't blow up people's bases to be a dick. we'll also remove foundations that are just there to claim land or prevent poo poo from spawning. basically just be gentlemen savages. We're all focused on building cool poo poo and killing each other out in the wilderness. If you and a few friends are looking for a chill quiet server this might be a good place for you.
We usually have about 10 people online in the evening.
Server is called Thunderball. It's pvp.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm still getting heavy freezing and stuttering on a regular basis. I have a 3.5ghz 4 core Intel processor and a 1060. Temps are running okay, I've tried capping the fps and turning the graphics both to their lowest setting and it makes no difference. Any tips?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am now getting a separate bug.
so it says steam is trying to luanchw ith optional parameter battleeye then says OK or cancel. Hitting OK brings up the same dialog box except it says battleeye twice. Hitting OK again then trying to launch the game again says it can't launch because it's already running.but the process isn't running anywhere. Tried restarting computer, validating, then deleting and re-downloading plus unininstalling and reinstalling battleeye. Any ideas??

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Martout posted:

I get that when launching from the steam library, do you get it when launching from steam server browser or a desktop shortcut as well?

I get a slightly different error when I launch from the server browser and the same error when I launch from a desktop shortcut.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

lilspooky posted:

So starting to think about seriously pulling the trigger on this. I've got a group of friends who are interested but a couple of them are arguing that for 30 bucks it's too much for such a new game and want to wait for a sale. Thing is, given the success this game has had since release I doubt it'll go on sale any time soon....if ever. Though I'm not familiar with Funcom's history of marking down their games.

The other thing holding me back is the instability of the official servers. I know from Ark and Rust that official servers suck but how hard is it to find a decent unofficial server? Especially with all the issues the server browser currently has. Is the Goon server something that would be ok with me being able to run around on my own or will I just get griefed?

I don't know that early access games ever go on sale. The bottom line is there is plenty of game and content to be had for your 30 bucks but early access definitely means instability. The good news is that funcom has already made huge improvements across the board since day one and the game is now more or less smooth and stable.

My group of friends and I had the same dilemma with respect to servers. Basically you have three options. You can go to an adminless official server and deal with the ramifications of having people able to do whatever they want,, go for a private server not run by you and hope for the best, or throw your own server up. We elected to rent a server and just have everyone pitch and it has been pretty great. It was something like 25 bucks from nfoservers, I'd never run a server before and was able to get it up and running in a few minutes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Alunan posted:

The GSF server "Mittani's Wasteland" is vanilla. We don't want 1000s of abandoned bases and scrubs.

Work for your base damnit. We are three days old, and we already have had 6 pubbie refugees join from other servers with like 5x that are just ridiculous.

It should be a wasteland where you have to scratch and hoard to survive, not an iron city every 20 feet.

This is fun for like two or three weeks. Eventually the XP curve gets out of hand and you're established enough that gathering resources and slaves doesnt have much challenge, and at that point it makes sense to crank up the speed because the interesting part of the game has become just building your poo poo.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Spanish Matlock posted:

We play on a 2x server, which seems like not too much or too little. I can't imagine that 1x sucks that bad.

It sucks twice as bad

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Come play on Thunderball goons. Just don't be fuckers and blow up people's poo poo, but raiding online people and taking the spoils is heavily encouraged.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah. Wait till you get fully wiped the first time. On a 3x server it took me something on the order of 6+ hours just to rebuild all of my crafting stations/well/wheel of pain.

play on a server where destroying people's poo poo for the sake of destroying their poo poo is verboten. Resources and crafting stations are fair game because you can store poo poo in them but wheels of pain and wells are not, and of course destroying somebody's base gets you banned.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Taylor Swift posted:

That sounds awful tbh

I'm sure it would to the guy who wants to "harvest tears" which is the dumbest and most dysfunctional phrase that ever gets uttered in these dumb and dysfunctional forums

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Kimsemus posted:

You know what a retard really does? Cries about griefing. :wooper:

Honestly what other reason is there to play lovely games like this?

Oh boy, my friends and I are harvesting bugs in the woods together, better watch those kCals/hour, oh boy, my naked friends and I are going down to the river to fill our water jugs, because we're thirsty,

oh boy, my friends and I are building giant autism forts because you know, reasons

If I wanted to play Hyborean/Ukrainian/Rusty/Generic Forest Dwelling Construction Worker Online, I'd move to eastern Europe.

Taking advantage of other people's sunk cost fallacy and robbing them of their time and effort is what keeps games like this going and popular. What do you really want, some kind of sandbox survival Geneva Convention?

Fail that I guess you can just server hop until you find people who won't be mean to you though, eh? :smuggo:

This is why we need to stop high school bullying, folks

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Kimsemus posted:

I just feel like in a sandbox, people should just play the game how they want. I don't ever think there is a "wrong" way to play an open sandbox game so long as it's within the defined parameters of that sandbox.

LOL "why won't you autists just let me kick over your sand castles! why won't anyone play with me?" gently caress off dude lol.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

TheTrend posted:

Is the combat in this game still poo poo and bad? I'm an old timey gamer and don't care much for this post minecraft build your own base poo poo that all you youts seem to be about these days, but I'm down to help out goons build things and raid pubbies nice things and smash/take them. However, with all the forrays i've made into this genre (Fo4, Ark,) they're all bad and annoying. Is this uhh... objectively better?

There's no charge attacks or magic or anything yet so really it's more left click attack right click block. It's serviceable and I don't hate it but it is a means to an end and not something I particularly love about the game

Vvvv I should have said no special attacks, you can charge and do a big attack but that's really it

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

VulgarandStupid posted:

I regret buying this game because it has the problem that all survival games have: whoever spends the most time playing can run the whole server. It's not even about pvp skill, it's just about offline attacking every base you see so no one can get a foothold and a base with a design you saw on youtube.

The Conan theme is great and all, the gods and slaves are kind of cool but there isn't really enough to make it different or overcome the survival game issues. It's also really nice that the focus is more towards melee than ranged combat than games like Rust. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix the universal balance issues, though.

It does strike me as funny that the original plan for the goon server was have a two day locked server head start to level up and build up so the goon superiority against pubbies could never be challenged. And then the admins' clan locked their discord channel so other goons couldn't chat with them, constantly raided the other goon clans base at 6 AM for a few days and then wondered why no one wanted to play with them.
Find A PVP server where destroying people's bases is against the rules. on our server we have 5 small groups all relatively equal with tons of trading and violence but everybody builds cool poo poo because nobody is knocking all your poo poo over just because it's there. You can knock down people's walls and loot their chests and crafting stations but destroying all of somebody's stuff to just strangle them in the crib isn't fun for anybody. Last night my 2 man clan broke into a rival clans base while they were all online, killed them, filled our pockets and left and everybody still has their giant citadel and had a good time.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Comrayn posted:

Hey what game have the very mentally stable and normal people who scream about pubbies gone to now that their plans here fell through?

He,he, noob, you're tears have been harvested!!! :smug::smug:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Popete posted:

I built a poop hut on a public server and then someone knocked it down and I couldn't be bothered to rebuild it so I just stopped playing.

Tears harvested?

loving...OWNED BITCH

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
they're planning on a raid mode? that's what got me hooked on 7 days to die even though that game was much worse in every way. If there's actually a reason to build a glittering citadel it'll own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Will your penis shrink in the cold?? I swear to God if my nipples don't start jutting out below 30 degrees I'm uninstalling

• Locked thread