Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
took my family to Tokyo Disneyland last weekend, lots of people but had a great time. which got me thinking, "I wonder how Shanghai Disneyland is doing?"

welcome to another round of TGA's "lol check out this TripAdvisor meltdown about how terrible Shanghai Disneyland is"!

source: https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g308272-d10383031-Reviews-Shanghai_Disneyland-Shanghai.html

quote:

Disappointing Disney (and AWFUL Viator) experience
The Park was new and nice, yet it was very disappointing. Be prepared to queue for hours for rides and not to use FastPass unless you want to pay extra for it, as they give out a limited quantity for free, and then charge around $50 per person for a few FastPass tickets.

Employees are NOT what you expect when comparing them to other international parks. Be prepared for very rude and offensive behavior from guests. We experienced a fist-fight between a woman and a female park employee which lasted for several minutes while management and security sat by and watched.

DO NOT BUY ON VIATOR. we made this mistake and the day before we were supposed to go, they canceled our tickets due to “park at capacity.” We then found out that they would sell our tickets back to us for $25 per person. We were all the way in China, so we did, but got taken advantage of. Save your time and money and go to Tokyo Disney if you want an Asian Disney experience!

did this guy not realize he was in china or something? lol

quote:

Shanghai Disneyland
There are many reviews on how terrible Shanghai Disneyland is, but it is actually quite enjoyable if you know how to go around the issues. Firstly, to make it clear, the place is not dirty as some reviews mentioned, it is actually quite clean with the army of cleaners present. Language barrier there is for foreign visitors, as most of the staff do not speak anything else other than Mandarin, but with the bulk of the visitors being locals, I guess they don't see the need to recruit many English or other languages speaking staff. It's no different from being in Tokyo where most people speak Japanese or in Switzerland, where French or German are mainly spoken, a visitor just have to learn to get by using hand signals and pointing at pictures in the guide booklets or pamphlets. Yes, the queues for rides are exceptionally long but the locals go around it by purchasing fast pass tickets from online agents, which depending on the price, could even include a tour guide for completing Disneyland Shanghai's rides in the shortest possible time. For my visit, the longest ride queuing time on a weekday was about 20 minutes. In comparison, the regular queues took as long as 2.5 hours. Although many complained about the prices of food and drinks, I find them comparable to other tourist attractions. Moreover, 60 yuan digital vouchers could be purchased online from Taobao to pay for meals that costs 80 yuan at the cash register. That represent a 25% discount for a good tasty meal with drinks included. I thought the Chinese are quite innovative and they find ways to go around rules in the most creative ways and in turn, facilitate visitors who are in the know to really enjoy Disneyland Shanghai in a most leisurely manner. Obviously, those who do not know will be disadvantaged. In comparison, Tokyo Disneyland where rules are strictly followed, the long queues often turn off people with lower patience threshold. Do note that unlike Disneyland Parks elsewhere, there's no "Small, Small World" ride in Disneyland Shanghai, but don't miss "Pirates of the Carribean", it's really enjoyable. I would also recommend staying at the Toy Story Hotel near the Park instead of travelling all the way from the City to Disneyland.

actually, Shanghai Disneyland is great because it offers you numerous opportunities to break the rules, unlike that horrific place Tokyo Disneyland, where rules are "strictly followed".

quote:

Disneyland with a serious problem
Reading all the review about Shanghai Disneyland, we tried to be savvy: spent two days in the park, Wednesday and Thursday... both are on weekdays. Arrived 30 minutes before the park gate open. We bought the ticket on line to cut the queue. We downloaded SD apps on our mobile phones as well. And what we got?
On both days, we missed the fastpass for Soaring, Roaring and Seven Dwarfs! How could that happen? By the time our ticket valid (meaning we passed the entrance gate), around 8.15, the fastpass for those 3 attractions is gone! It was unbelievable. It happened exactly the same on the second day. By 8.15, the fastpass for those favorite three were no more available. Fastpass left were Tron and Pirates of Carribbean. So disappointing! Something must be very very wrong with the fastpass system.
Having no choice, we had to wait 180+ minutes for each favorite attraction. So, for 1 day in the park, we can only try 3 attractions, 2 musical shows plus the fireworks. Some attractions is so swift: Tron is only 60 second-ride.. does it worth 120 minute waiting time? I do hope it is not the strategy of the SD management.
The bright side of this park are: cleanliness, some English-spoken staff, well kept, the variety of attractions and the number of restaurants. Although the restaurants mostly cater for local guests, but the taste is acceptable.
Some local people tried to push us and overtaking the line during queuing. And some local men also offered us assistance to shortcutting the long queue for 100 RMB. We are not sure how he do it.
In narrowest, SD is definitely NOT the happiest place on earth. Although the park still has some positive aspects, if you still wish to visit SD, you need a huge patience as huge as the park itself.

person confused about china being china

quote:

The least magical experience we've had so far
We have been to Disney World, Disneyland, Paris Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland. This was my least favorite experience of them all and unless you really wanted to visit all Disney properties I would say you could skip this one.

First of all it was very crowded. The line to enter the park was very long and although there weren't many people in line we had to walk probably a half mile to even get to the front of the line (could have easily closed off some of the lines so everyone didn't go back and forth). Cast members (employees) didn't seem Disney friendly and the guests here seemed to be the rudest/pushiest of any I've seen. We literally had to hold people back from cutting in front of us in line and spent at least 3-4 rides in the two days we were there feeling as though there were people crawling up our backs trying to get by us in line (NO personal space). Obviously this depends on who is there that day but it's the most uncomfortable I've ever been traveling throughout Asia or any other country.

In addition, the park was extremely dirty. Generally Disney everything is picked up within moments of being put down but everywhere we went and every ride we went on people seemed to just set dirty glasses/bottles/napkins/trash down and it really just seemed disappointing/dirty compared to any Disney experience I've ever had.

My husband and I joked that maybe this wasn't really a Disney park because of our disappointment in all the small details that Disney usually has down to a science. I'm glad I visited as I LOVE Disney and it is fun to compare but I will not have this on my list to return to. Tokyo Disney on the other hand I can't wait to go back there so if you're picking a park in Asia my preference would be Tokyo 1st, then Hong Kong Disney and then if you had to go because it was your only option, Shanghai Disney.... otherwise your money would be much better spent elsewhere. We did say if we were to do it again that we would only come for one day and stay in the city/come by train and then pay the expensive fee to skip the lines/have a guide to get through all the rides and be done.

quote:

Shanghai disneyland trip
Its my first time at disneyland shanghai.. surprisingly its clean unlike what i heard. Just that the locals love to cut queue.. its very annoying.. i think like 90% of the visitor is locals.

quote:

Not Magical at all!!!
We traveled to China to visit the last two Disneyland parks. We researched ALOT on Shanghai Disneyland and felt we were prepared for the crowds. We came an hour early before opening on a weekday.

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel with the “secret “ entrance which was a huge help because I could see the crowds from our hotel and they started lining up at 7 when the park opened at 9.

We had 1 fast pass per ticket per day reserved by being a hotel guest. We chose Seven Dwarf one day and Soaring the next as the concierge advised they “ sell out” of Fastpasses every day by 9 :30 or 10. That was true both days for us.

Despite the preparation, I was shocked at what happened. When we lined up to enter is when I saw everyone (mostly Chinese) on their phones on the App waiting to enter the park to get Fastpasses and premier access. As soon as we turned the turnstiles into the park the race was on!!!! People booking and buying passes while RUNNING at top speed. I have been to all Disneyland parks now and I have NEVER seen people act so crazy!!!

I too logged on to get a fast pass and realized at 8:57 most rides were “ unavailable “ meaning sold out. I heard a noise, looked over and saw literally thousands of Chinese people running at me to get to Tron. We walked faster and by the time I made the 3 minute walk there was an hour wait!!!!!

It was obvious this day would be miserable if I didn’t do the Premier Access. I logged into the app and dropped $300 to get Fastpasses for 6 or 8 rides. If it weren’t for that money spent we may have ridden 3 things in 2 days. Three-4 hours per ride was common. Waiting in line is also a test of survival. Cutting, pushing, shoving, talking loudly, eating, spitting, staring and pointing( I’m white and my kids are Asian) made lines unbearable!!!

If you can’t spring for the Premier, you must do Tron and Pirates ( completely unlike other Disneyland pirates rides). The Alice in Wonderland maze was crowded but worth seeing because its so unique. Soaring is exactly like Epcot version.
Seven Dwarfs is also the same as Disney world. Rex’s racers is like something you can ride at every carnival. Pooh and Peter Pan are not different either. The water ride was the same as all the rest too.

I cannot even begin to describe the behavior for the fireworks. Stay far back or you may literally be crushed. People push and shove, there are no workers there to maintain order. Think kids climbing lampposts, no ropes, people on the streets, no paths marked to walk. I was pushed into a lamppost by the crowd of ever moving people and gashed my arm.

Food was good. Pinocchio restaurant had delicious vegetarian Mickey shaped pizzas. Some interesting snacks. We liked the corn in Toyland with the truffle mayonnaise. Not like Tokyo on the food though.

Overall, I can say I have been here and survived to tell the tale. Never again. The people’s behavior made this beautiful park that should be magical into a miserable place.

as always, if you gave me a full expanses paid trip to spend two days in this park, and then paid me for my time on top of it, I would not go, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
also, quite topical

http://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/post/24245/fight-at-shanghai-disneyland-goes-viral

quote:

One of the women can be heard yelling at the alleged victim: "Are you [expletive] crazy? Look at your [expletive] face! Why would he touch your butt?"

truly a magical place

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fish and chips and dip posted:

MONTREAL (AFP) - A major black bear poaching ring has been broken up in Quebec, as demand for their gallbladders from enthusiasts of traditional medicine remains high, authorities said Wednesday (July 19).

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/americas/canada-says-bear-poaching-network-is-broken-up

No countries were named though.

naming countries would be racist

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
in other news, the USD-RMB exchange rate has plummeted in the past few months, and I lost like 375 bucks off my paycheck since march, which blows, but I did actually get my last paycheck from china a few days ago, which I had completely written off and figured I'd never see. I'm completely done with china. how unbelievably refreshing

though I did run into a ton of Chinese tourists in akihabara last week and asked them to stop yelling in a store, and something tells me this won't be the last time I use my mandarin to ask people to keep it down in a quiet public place

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

So GTA what kind of responses do you get when you yell at mainland tour groups for obnoxious behavior? I don’t even yell, I just sigh and tell them straight up.

I used to get 什麼! or deer in the headlights stare back or someone look really confused.

Then one out of 10 I get a lady who gets really defensive over FACE LOST

Oh I also do it to obnoxious white people in Asia. But it’s more dangerous because they get more violent

I don't yell at anyone, it was a group of a ton of people borderline yelling in a quiet figurine store in akihabara. I just ask them "hey guys, this is Japan, not china. could you please not talk so loudly?" I get a lot of stares, one or two people say "wasai the foreigner speaks Chinese" and one or two people say "ok, I understand" either in chinese/English/japanese

it's never out of hatred or anger, it's always out of like "bro, this store is dead silent and there are 14 people screaming at each other in mandarin...look around. its quiet. please be more quiet" type of comment. people are either shocked I speak mandarin or say "ok I know it" and then try to speak more softly

I didn't meltdown in nine years in northeast china, there's no reason I'm going to start melting down about china in a civilized place like Tokyo lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

tbh people might actually stand up and clap or buy you beers if you get a group of mainlanders to behave in Akihabara

an actual skill I might put on my resume if we ever move back to Japan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

I love watching you guys trying to out virtue signal each other.

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

Well, america is well on it's way to full on 3rd world status. Maybe they'll go easy on us then haha

[Sunday late morning, goes on Twitter, tweets]

"Every day America is moving more toward A Handmaid's Tale...unbelievably shocking how far this country is falling...a true third world nation compared to all those other beautiful countries out there...thinking about moving to Canada, can't deal with this."

*goes to brunch, has a Bloody Mary, watches the early NFL game, leaves a 19% tip for the waiter, chats with friends all day*

"oh hey you guys my tweet about moving to Canada got 22k likes, I dunno, I'm like...really thinking about it? America sucks, you know? I just...I don't know. Anyone wanna get an uber and head over to Harley's Pub for drinks? Oh God, you don't have UberLUX? God, how poor are you, Becky?"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

i heard that exact line about a thousand times during a big outreach thing i did for the rotary across germany and austria back in like 2014 or some poo poo. not a single loving person got that this literally meant that someone born outside of their country's borders could never be german or austrian and how that sentiment was three times as racist as anything they could quote from usa today.

there will never be any large scale studies quantifying this horseshit. there will never be any thinkpieces on how "europeans" can be more accepting and respectful of other cultures that become global memes pointing out how dumb they can be. there will never be any double-think articles about how chastising 'americans' as an entire, homogeneous unit is itself incredibly bigoted and absurd. there will never be any documentaries aimed at other cultures patiently explaining how the wonky cultural patchwork of the USA actually functions - instead they'll keep doing deep meditations on other cultures, selling them to american consumers, and then sneering at them for somehow not knowing it already. gently caress, there's still only the very occasional and always forgotten news article about how, no matter what way you slice it - culturally, geographically, or economically - the USA is 5-7 countries hastily welded together into one, so characterizing 'americans' as one thing is just as loving idiotic as characterizing 'europeans' as one thing. any german would balk at being lumped in with a spaniard, so you loving bet a midwestern cat would balk at being characterized with some dork from the pacifica or tidewater regions. international relations are immensely oversimplified because other countries only matter insofar as they affect an individual - and even with such a huge globalization push, they really don't.

and honestly, i think that's fine. wishing for ultimate fairness and fact in this sort of thing is wishing for like the final brick in the utopian framework that ends all hatred and suffering in the world. i have way bigger fish to fry personally and the world's got way bigger fish to fry generally. it's enough to understand, imo, that anyone who preoccupies themselves with how those country-people be all like UGHHN and we be all like HUUAAA is really just not worth listening to. i don't feel the need to engage every hypocritical dork out there, and i don't feel required to admit they have a point (because they don't). a large part of the reason i like posting in this thread as opposed to anything D&D is that the folks in here mostly reserve their venom for the CCP, which is in fact a monolith and it is in fact worth pissing on. even hate on "chinese characteristics" end up coming back to how the CCP has basically molested the culture of China for generations. if the CCP fell tomorrow and the country become more egalitarian and open as a result (which, during the interstitial periods where there wasn't an overarching government choking the life out of everything, it was), i think we'd find out exactly how many of these traditions are actually traditions versus bad habits instituted by a corrupt and rapacious government that was feeding on its own people.

also I enjoyed this post, more posts like this, and agreed this thread is like one billion times better than D&D, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

Because d&d is full of butt blasted limp wristed Europeans sniffing their own farts

hey did you really mean it when you said I was an abusive dad :(

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

No

I’m sorry you actually seem halfway decent

There’s some real turds floating around this thread though, you know who you are

aw, thank you. I guess if you aren't peven Stan you wouldn't know but I have posted about how I've lurked asian masculinity and asian identity and agree by and large with the majority of stuff they say, especially as I have a half-asian son now. I've talked about this with Angel Opportunity as well, so for as toxic as those subreddits and that ideology can be when taken too far, it's been very helpful for me to realize the issues that asian or asian American males deal with in the United States and in other cultures

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

Aren’t you living in Japan though? Honestly your son will probably face none of the issues those guys talk about due to his half white privilege, he’ll probably end up on an episode of terrace house or something.

At least once he’s an adult, I imagine the childhood bullying for him there may be quite bad

we're gonna be between Japan and Hawaii for the next decade or so I guess, I've heard bad things about childhood bullying in Japan but everyone where we are now is unbelievably kind and welcoming so far. who knows.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
once D&D leaked in, this thread was finished

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
everyone is getting a great view into how other first world countries view the world

I'm not commenting on if either one is correct or not.

just there was a ton of moral outrage in the usa about the cartoons. the moral outrage in Australia and NZ received massive eye rolls.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
racism is bad and I thought the cartoon is bad, if you're curious as to my views on it

that's what I have to say about that

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

I want everyone to remember you wrote this sentence the next time the thread rightly laughs at mainland Chinese talking dumb crap about "Chinese are different from the West, we have no racism/classism/whatever."

also I'm kinda confused, do you think I believe that chinese people can't be racist or classist? because I believe chinese people can be racist and classist. in fact I am working on a paper on social stratification in china this weekend

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Australians rolling their eyes at the cartoon is a condemnation of Australia, not a mere cultural difference between them and the US/Canada.

it's not a condemnation, it's what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

australia is a racist shithole, hope this helps

I'm kinda confused that I'm the clueless racist one while noting that Australia thought this type of cartoon was ok

I didn't even say anything I personally believe, I just stated what happened

lol

• Locked thread