Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

This was a good post, and thanks for the photos and story. This whole part stood out to me as a big difference between Mainland and Hong Kong. Thinking about the city's problems? Thinking about other people and their problems? Thinking about anything at all? Whaaaaaaaat? I give it another generation or two after all the Mainlanders have flooded HK (and the locals have run off to other countries) to make all those weird things go away.

Were you born in Wuhan and grew up in Hong Kong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yes you guys are finally out of LAN

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It slowed down a bit. Lots of people are frantically trying to offload their properties or pay lawyers crazy amount of money to expedite the transactions.

But guess what? There's 13 billion people so another wave will be here pretty soon!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Imperialist Dog posted:

My old school was in a rural HK village (it means it was a whole 15 minute walk to the KCR station), but mostly served middle class parents. Someone put a giant banner across from the school advertising London properties as investment so parents would see it when they left the school.

Nobody calls it the KCR anymore you hipster

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Today I asked students to name a hero from Chinese history and all of them said Mao immediately. It took a second for me to contain my disgust before I could continue.

Not even a deng xiao ping or sun yat sen?

Heck I would settle for the first emperor of china.

Freaking backwater Sichuan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dump that bitch.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is awesome and never does poo poo like that ever.

She might be a bit more doting on me but she truly cares about me and I love her

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Triple freaking post I'm in a Japanese bar and bumped into my Japanese sushi chef.

He was complaining that Chinese customers aka mainlanders are too happy go lucky and making him down sake too much.

They talk and social too much in his ULTRA SERIOUS restaurant. To his defense things can get out of hand with a excited crowd at a out of this world dining experience

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hate all lower class people. Especially when they are traveling and going to trashy areas doing trashy stuff.

Actually rich people can be just as obnoxious.

Honestly I think it's just more of a numbers game. Tour groups and cheaper places increases the odds. I still remember my first time going to the empty robuchon restaurant in Macau when it first opened. It was not as well known and years ago. There were 2 other tables of mainlanders but holy smokes they look refined. It was as if I was dining in Europe with old money high society.

Everyone else were too busy throwing their money in the VIP tables and eating fast food.

Nowadays people in china ... bah why bother I'm going to stick with the juicy stories

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

Is this another "defending chewing with the mouth open as a culture thing" discussion? It's just ironic to me that only now they think "well, maybe we should shut down all the whorehouses in respect of the god king". I also love all the extra warnings about committing Lesè Majesté. But the funniest thing here is my friend getting hosed over on his vacation due to bad timing

I'll just say, gently caress monarchies and gently caress all cults of personality even more. Hopefully the new king is so lovely it brings everything down with him.

TRUMP 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey club rats can be crazy too!

There's nothing wrong with sending naked pictures online. As long as the other party is ready for it and likes it. If not then you are no better than some rear end in a top hat flasher in the subway

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

is it normal in hook up apps to sext? I have no idea, it is a culture/subgroup I am completely unfamiliar with

It's not sexting when it's unsolicited, it's sexual harassment.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Forums user have goatcx'd me, hell caberham you are the moderator of a group chat with far worse than dick pics in it...are you complicit in mass sexual harassment then? Because that's the argument you're making right now

Like I don't think you are, but by your own standards, you are

:tviv:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Please go on and tell us how much more clarification you need

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you feel that you have been harassed

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

no not at all, if I didn't I wouldn't have joined the group. Or used the app

:cripes:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Haier, how's Shenzhen? There's double typhoon and major rains. Hong Kong is doing ok because it's actually a well planned city for flood mitigation. Shenzhen, not so much. I remember a shenzhen goon got trapped in a bus when a 15 minute bus ride turned into a 2 hour spectacle. And there's another typhoon coming friday so maybe more rainstorms this weekend

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
History is fake. Mao killed the gentry

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to experience face culture you should just go to Japan. Or even Korea, which is rip off version of Japan. Heck, there's even keigo, which is a specific kind of speech for business and formalities with a lot of different honorifics.

Going to Japan as a tourist is awesome because they treat you the customer as God. Deep down, customer service might think you are a piece of poo poo but you wouldn't know!

As for the education system, meh.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

baaaahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

aaaaahahahahahahahaha

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also shipping, customs, warehousing and other fixed costs.

So yes it costs less than a dollar for 10 000 units but getting the product to you will make it at least 3 dollars

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nutrition will eventually off set that though.

If you go to old German castles in Europe the ceilings and doorways are super short and the average height was 150cm. After generations of farmers and better nutrition the average height got taller.

With the westernization of diets and increased protein uptake everyone's going to grow

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh man it's typhoon day. Yay I get time off but I can't buy a kale salad

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

Any strong opinions on destinations for food-oriented solo-travel, w/good transit?

Details: One week, generic large white male, not a bar goer, irrationally fond of dumplings and ramen. Mid/late '17 window.

The food here in China is great. I posted in the other thread, but there's a big difference between the north, south and other regions. In the south and southwest it's a lot more sub tropical so you can different kinds of fruit, seafood and spices. In the North and North east there's a bigger muslim population and mongol/pasture influence so you get more lamb dishes and the lamb tastes freaking awesome. It's also more of a wheat based diet and people there are pickier with their dough. You get better dumplings and heartier stews and meals.

Then there's the Northwest and and tibet where poo poo is just wild west there. For the off beaten path pick somewhere in Gansu. The Lanzhou pulled noodles there are awesome - there's a chain or hui restaurant of some sort in every big city but the taste is just better there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's beertopia next week month

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Whoah for a few pages I was certain I´d accidently entered the LAN thread

Man, I wish we still had Modest Mao, Pro-PRC Laowai and TWM posting

Hey Hey Hey Leave LAN ALONE

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's called 漢方医学

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

what is alcohol culture like in china , sounds like Korea and Japan have them beat . do Chinese men drink a lot ? do they drink with their boss and coworkers ?

There's a huge difference between the north or rural areas and the south. North Eastern China is just Korean levels of bad where dudes are BRO and 哥們兒兒兒兒兒兒 as gently caress and chug baijiu. Everyone drinks as in the mom, the dad, the daughter, and the aunts drink poo poo loads of alcohol because winters there are just miserable.

In the south it's way more tame. You do get baijiu fueled business meetings and KTV nights but you can weasel your way out of it. The alcohol abuse gets worse the more related the business is to a government body. Be it licensing/contracting/permits/bureaucracy.

I would say the "defacto" national beer is Tsing Tao which is a Germany Lager legacy. The original factory and brewery in QingDao still imports wheat from Germany and make Okay lager. Everywhere else in China is just contracted brewing where rice is the major ingredient like Budweiser. There's also a craft brewery scene in the major cities because you can get cheap industrial brewing equipment from tao bao.

As for non beers, there's different kind of rice wine but not as meticulous as Korean soju culture. You get yellow wine in Eastern China which tastes pretty good and more of a dry vinegar kick. Baijiu has a bad reputation but the home made stuff or higher quality stuff is actually really really smooth and tasty. You just take small sips of it like drinking cognac.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say:

Glass Northern China

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

The de facto national beer in China in terms of liters downed is Snow. It's the most popular beer in the world by a lot. Considering that it's only available in China, enough is consumed so that everyone in China drinks 10L annually.

:vince:

I want to gag

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

this is what annoys me most about whataboutism. i'm not saying china is DIFFERENT, i'm saying china is on a different LEVEL. which it is. any sane person who is not completely in love with china before they come here would agree. china takes it up a few notches.

i have said a million times on these forums that china is cool and good. i like china. but there is definitely annoying stuff about it, and that is hard to ignore.

That's very true. But a lot of bullshit like office politics is more universal than just in China kind of thing

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Drunk & Ugly posted:

gently caress off. i want to know about chinese in the uk and how they immigrate and where from mostly. i assume hong kong because of the past ties makes it easier for them to do so, but im not going to start questioning them while they run a busy shop

also the "china town" in london was just like a row restaurants, i was disappointed

I was in London last Christmas. China town used to be immigrants from Hong Kong / Guang Dong Province / Fujian Province.

But nowadays the new immigrants are from North Eastern China and Interior China like Sichuan. So the Chinese restaurants are shifting flavours and catering the food to new immigrants and students from the rest of the Mainland. You get a lot more spicy hotpot and dumplings.

The food is also unforgettably bad because the chefs are now students making some extra cash and winging it. loving blows.

If you want to try Chinese food in London, try A Wong.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

From this thread and the Female Rasputin thread, all I can summarize from previous Korea-havers is that the only thing to talk about is alcohol. Does the country suck that much, or are the foreigners there that bored/boring?

Goonsgiving is great. I attended once and I loved it. Korean goons are the best goon hosts in the whole wide world. I only knew a few people from hosting them in Hong Kong but when I went to korea the goons offered me their homes.

As for the country itself, it's wedged between China and Japan so it does get neglected in terms of history/culture/tourism. So Korea is always trying to prove themselves. One wise goon said "Think of it like Canada" and as a Canadian I totally understood what he meant :canada:

At worse, you can call Korea - "Looks like Japan, but feels like China" but it's really modernizing and developing its own scene pretty quickly. Kpop is still bad but they grew out of Jpop and new Korean cuisine is actually amazing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

No but alcohol is central to Korean culture so it is involved with a great many things.

Korea is the midwest of Asia. It's pleasant enough to live there but there isn't a lot to talk about or to sell it when compared with neighbors. It's a very good place to party, the food is repetitive when you live there but good. There's very little culture to speak of.

I rather stay in Korea than West Lafayette or anywhere in Indiana.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

in all fairness you went to where else? in WL lol irl

Also went to Indianapolis.

The comedy stop over is Gary.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
People won't get our of their way to make friends with expats because they know they will eventually leave or don't want to speak another language

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Vernii posted:

There are a surprising number of Indiana & Purdue goons.

Have you ever gone to that semi-hidden Chinese restaurant in the back of that asian grocery by the Cactus? I love their twice cooked pork and spicy meat dishes. Every time I've gone there with a friend, we've been the only white people there and get some confused stares.

They don't like any out of towners

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pon de Bundy posted:

so chinese people hate weed. . .

do chinese doctors prescribe strong opoids like american dcotors

People still smoke weed. But it's the ones you find in the wild and the THC content is super low. It's mostly a farmer thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Technically you do have to register for each guest staying overnight but you don't really need to. As long as someone is already registered and have the room key card you can just walk past the front desk and dont give a gently caress.

If front desks asks for registration just say that you are not sleeping overnight.

• Locked thread