Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Whatever happened to trolling that cowboy hat guy, telling him he was a traitor to China for living in Canada?

A lot of non-Americans have a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of "how are you" or "what's up" as a form of greeting rather than a legitimate question. But it's an especially odd question coming from Chinese people whose typical greetings involve asking someone if they've eaten or where they're going or what they're "busy with doing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I just heard on the radio that a guy somewhere in China, accused of killing his parents, is also suspected of killing 17 of the neighbours to cover his tracks.

I have to google this to see if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me...

https://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/man-suspected-of-killing-parents-then-17-neighbors-in-china

Grand Theft Auto: China viral marketing, perhaps?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

BONGHITZ posted:

I am going to enlist in the Chinese navy, any tips?

What navy?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've noticed "Huayi Brothers" at the beginning of more and more American movies lately. They flash it REALLY quickly. I wonder why?

Haier posted:

The only times I think what am I doing with my life is when I am outside and shoulder-checking yet another idiot who is zigzagging on the sidewalk or walkway and can't look up from their phone for a split second to not walk right into oncoming humans. I love walking as a hobby and Chinese are most frustrating people to walk near.

I'm in Taiwan right now. One thing I've noticed is that, although people are VERY careful not to bump anyone, they NEVER say excuse me. They just hover behind someone until the can squeeze by without touching them like some kind of stealth action video game.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 9, 2016

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Does anyone watch Serpenteza's videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDFJhe9MKHg

In this one, he dismisses anyone who criticizes China as "having an agenda." He also comes from South Africa but seems to think that politics don't matter and there's nothing that anyone can do to change anything.

I generally like his content, but this video rubbed the wrong way a bit.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Isn't the "Shanghai school system" thing British articles have been raving about actually a system for teaching math a few teachers from Shanghai invented? You know, rather than actually the way they teach in Shanghai?

As for the whole "word salad" thing in essays, I've heard Chinese essays tend to be graded on how many 4-character "chengyus" (idioms) that are used.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
People who aren't smart assume they didn't "make it" in life because when they were kids they didn't mindlessly "study" in school the many Chinese children are forced to do. It makes sense they wouldn't understand that the Chinese education system is a poo poo model that shouldn't be emulated.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Dem lips tho

Edit:

Kind of reminds me of that magazine ad with the beautiful girl and the ugly children. Except everyone is ugly in those pictures.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Are you guys referring to a recent news article? Link?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

Me: "What are your hobbies?"
Chinese girl: "TENNIS AND SWIMMING."
ME: (Realize I've heard this pair of hobbies way too many times, like it's one of the canned responses people use here when they don't know what to say) "Oh"
Chinese girl: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports."
Chinese girl: "That's discrimination. Chinese people aren't all exactly the same. Everyone can do what they want. These activities are enjoyed by all."
Me: "Yes, I agree. I didn't mean that."
Chinese girl: "You foreigners are always like this"

Chinese are special, different from foreign, do you know?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I asked this a while ago, but I didn't get an answer so I'll ask again:

There's a British writer who's written two or three books explaining why China isn't going to take over the planet. The most recent one was in 2014 or 2015 I believe. He lived in Northern China for over ten years, married a Chinese woman and had two kids. He very recently moved back to the UK and wrote an article about it. He mentioned how his two children immediately improved in school because they weren't going to the lovely Chinese-style schools any more.

Another interesting thing was that he started a very successful publishing company that was confiscated by the Chinese government. I believe he started another company which was again taken by the CCP.

Does anyone remember this guy? He's written articles and books and is a long time CHINA EXPERT.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yep, I remember him.

Cool. Do you remember his name?

THE PWNER posted:

Literally Every Country would have turned out the same with a similar policy. We are all disgusting misogynists.

Especially the USA. gently caress, the USA is a backwater shithole. I wonder if the US people posting about how much they hate China in this thread realise that everyone else in the world sees them in the same way.

That's true, every foreigner thinks exactly the same way. Thank you for confirming this for me.

It looks like an exploding water balloon.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
drat really wish I could remember that guys name. It would be more interesting than this bullshit.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Watched a video of an English teacher asking some kids why they brought pens but no paper in clear, easy to understand Chinese. The kids still didn't seem to understand the question. "Why didn't you bring paper?" "Um, we didn't bring any paper." "Why?" "... Um, we didn't bring any paper."

What's up with people not understanding basic questions?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Where is that from?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
What's this talk about it taking forever to type in Chinese? Maybe they are using the standard Windows pinyin instead of Google Pinyin?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Pon de Bundy posted:

can somebody translate that video because lmao

is it the same lines over and over again ?

Are you talking about the German guy? His Chinese actually seemed pretty good. Although this was probably just an illusion since we all know any Westerner trying to speak Chinese is always doomed to fail, and the locals only PRETEND to understand us.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

quote:

He also never imagined that the cost of labor in Australia would be three times that of China.

Can't he just do what the Chinese do in Africa and bring a bunch of desperate Chinese with him to till the land?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
There's got to be more practical ways to make money with plastic beads...

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I've heard the whole "leave the windows open when it's cold" story a few times in this thread. Has anyone gotten a solid answer before?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Great Autismo! posted:

"Wholly inadequate procedures, poor controls, complete incompetence and no health and safety."

this is p much china in a nutshell

Too bad there's no comment section for wumao butthurt. That's my favorite.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

From that point she switched to English and he kept replying in Chinese, obviously using the translation feature to understand her. She kept bugging him about where he went abroad and he was losing tons of face not being able to reply. I told her to tell him Taiwan is number one and the true version of China and Chinese culture, and is better in most aspects over Mainland. He asked her if she ever went there, because of course he did and saw no difference over where he lives in China, and Taiwan is part of China and is the same. She kept bugging about where he lived abroad and he kept saying she should accept she doesn't understand these topics and doesn't know anything about China and she's foreign so she shouldn't feel so bad for not knowing about China.

The same arguments from a billion people about a billion people.

I'm shocked that he acknowledged that was a foreigner despite being ethnically chinese.

East Asian languages areally difficult to learn because if you're clearly a foreigner it's impossible to have a normal human interaction. At least with strangers/acquaintances.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

ladron posted:

:allears:

it's just that your tongue is too long so you should have surgery to shorten it

(the opposite of this: http://www.asianplasticsurgeryguide.com/anime/1106_korean-tongue-surgery.html )

Goddammit how hard is it to record your voice and compare it to a native speaker.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Great Autismo! posted:

i'm the old man in the shower who won't stop checking you out while practically screaming some chinese song. i'm still the old guy when i finish the shower and go to blow dry my butthole and pubes, while still singing, tho it sounds like screaming to you. i'm also the old guy when i go to dress myself, put on my socks, my undershirt, and then have a screaming 14 minute conversation with some other guy about eating food. i'm no longer the old guy when he leaves. my out of body experience has finished. then i'm just left with a feeling of loneliness and destitution, while i'm in a quiet locker room

They don't have baby powder in China? or is it all laced with uranium or something?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Holden: You're on a social media application talking to others when all of a sudden...
NONG: What one?
Holden: What?
NONG: What app?
Holden: It doesn't make any difference which app, its completely hypothetical.
NONG: But, how come I'd be on the app? Is it Chinese? Wechat?
Holden: I don't know, maybe you are trying to have sex with an expat. Who knows? When the person you are talking to says Taiwan number one...
NONG: Taiwan? Whats that?
Holden: You know what China is?
NONG: Of Course!
Holden: Its like China but better and not owned by China.
NONG: I've never heard of this better than China.
Holden: The person repeats Taiwan number one...
NONG: gently caress YOU gently caress YOU --
Holden: China number two, Taiwan number one
NONG: gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

Put this in the OP.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Is there another article discussing the same incident? or could you give us the juicy details? How did Chinese soldiers get into a firefight in Sudan? Did they try to keep blacks from buying a bubble tea at a "Chinese and Whites only" diner?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Jeoh posted:

you could try scrolling down

It's behind a paywall.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Glenn Quebec posted:

That massive tool saying he had to do x and y to get married to his super loving average looking wife. She better A+ cool.

Isn't this the same video about how he brags about buying a house when all his other friends were still living at home or whatever? Hardly an accomplishment when you're buying a crumbling hovel in a zip tier city in a place called china.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Phlegmish posted:

The daily vividness of living made me feel alive

*nods* I lost my thesaurus so this will have to do

When you're sleeping under a mountain of pillows, but are still shivering like you're stuck in out in a blizzard naked clinging on to the last threads of life, this will be a very vivid experience indeed. Still haven't gotten food poisoning once here in Taiwan. The street stalls seem to be cleaner than the expensive restaurants in Boston's Chinatown!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Man, I know disliking or even hating foreigners is a pretty much universal concept, but I feel like East Asia takes it to another level. They like the idea of their children learning to speak English at a functional level, but they HATE the idea of having to actually interact with real life foreigners! The whole point of bringing white people over to dance and sing with your kids is so they can actually get experience interacting with a foreigner and not devolve into babbling fits as if being confronted with a Martian!

Hrm... what's a good solution to having to interact with this icky foreigners? I know! We'll replace them with a stupid ball robot that looks so ridiculous, kids won't be able to concentrate on actually speaking English! We'll slap a white face on it and no one will know the difference!

Maybe they could try the Filipino approach and think of English as an actual means of communication rather than "how to talk to foreigners?"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

basic hitler posted:

I think people can generally recognize a functional need to interact with, even while holding petty disdain for, the outside world.

I grew up and live in a place where you're kind of handicapped if you can't at least say a few things, or at least understand a few things in both spanish and english, but parents scream and holler about pressing 1 for english and having to sit through double-length bilingual company meetings, they still put their kids through at least two years of foreign language, and in most poorer schools here, that just means spanish, and most would flip their poo poo if that was taken away

Sure, that's true. I just feel like it's taken to another level in Asia. When I was in the service industry, I didn't have a nervous breakdown when I ran into someone who couldn't speak English very well. I just slowed down and spoke more simply.

Also, I can't imagine anyone in a western country thinking it's a good idea to replace a language teacher with a silly ball-droid.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Koramei posted:

they don't, actually, just by the way. I guess it's not as easy as in France or Portugal or whatever but if the impression you're getting from these threads is that when you step foot in Asia people'll be running away from you in droves then know it's not the reality.

Maybe "hate" is the wrong word. But in my short time in Taiwan, nearly every interaction is extra awkward. Not just "I don't speak your language very well" awkward. Ignoring the fact that I'm speaking Chinese and not listening to what I'm saying because they're too busy thinking of what to say in English awkward. I feel like the kind of house guest that the hosts desperately want to impress, but don't really WANT to the guest to be there.

Accretionist posted:

Is the internet a big motivator for English learning? If you can read, there's Reddit, Facebook, etc. If you can listen, there's podcasts, tv, movies and documentaries.

Frankly, if I were a Korean kid, my only personal motivation would be access to English-language content.

Why would they? Their own country has the best of everything and there's no reason to look anywhere else!

Seriously, though, I feel like a lot of Asians are missing out by not taking advantage of all the English language content available on the internet. The quality and quantity of Chinese stuff really pales in comparison.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

For real how much of English teaching in Asia is an expensive elaborate charade that produces people that can't carry on a conversation, and how much of it is the real deal of people wanting to learn and getting results?

I think for a lot of people living in fairly comfortable countries, learning a foreign language is more about the IDEA of being bilingual rather than the actual goal. You can brag to your friends you're learning a second language, show off pictures of your handsome, white "teacher," say a few words at the foreigner they saw on the subway once. The "result" is them feeling good about taking language lessons, not actually being able to speak the language.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Invisible Handjob posted:

that's surprising, in my experience Taiwan was one of the most welcoming places in Asia I've been. people were very supportive of me trying to learn Chinese too, they'd usually humor me with conversation

maybe I got lucky though

Don't get me wrong. Aside from my neighbors who seem to think I have the plague or something, I haven't really run into anyone who's MEAN per say. Just very awkward.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Outrail posted:

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...

Make a boat load of money hiring white people to sing and dance!

A lot of people seem to think English speaking ability is the key to the kingdom, but there are a lot of two-bit scammers in big cities in China who speak really good English, so...

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

GoutPatrol posted:

I was reading a chart about each country's main caloric intake. Every country in the world had rice, wheat, or corn. Parts of Africa and Latin America had yams, plantains, sweet potatoes. Except Venezuela. They had sugar.

Huh? You mean foreigners eat rice?

(A surprised college sophomore in Taiwan asked me once).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

UltraRed posted:

China invented rice cultivation, now they invented eating plastic rice. China invented transhumanism. :smug:

I remember the GITS series that came out last decade (Laughing Man, etc) had robot-food that looked like those lame rear end, white bread, crusts cut off things that pass for "sandwiches" in East Asia. I'm sure once the fleet of robots and cyborgs sweep in to save China from an aging population, the plastic rice will be good for their healthy.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm 5'8" and there's plenty of people taller and wider than me. Curiously, though, the stores only ever seem to sell clothes and shoes made for little people.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

This one is particularly rich. When China rules the world, it will be the UNNAMED COUNTRY that is dirty and smelly!!! (I mean, it probably will when Trump is done with us, but China will right along with us)

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Andorra posted:

A couple Olympics ago China and two other countries purposefully lost a badminton match (and didn't even attempt to disguise it) because losing those matches would result in their next match being against an easier opponent than if they won, so everyone involved got banned. I've never seen a crowd booing badminton before.

It's pretty funny they didn't think to try to make it convincing. I mean, that's the way it would have worked in China, right? Whenever someone sees someone cheating or otherwise breaking the rules, they just look the other way?

• Locked thread