Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

The old kings name sounded like "rubber ball" in swedish, we're gonna miss ole gummiboll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3AeQu7JK_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Also simply knowing how to use chopsticks was enough to get a whole restaurant full of people and staff to come watch, let alone that I was totally fine eating normal ol' chinese food which seemed exactly the same as the chinese food I ate back home.

Was this in some small town or something? You'd think palefaces using chopsticks would have happened often enough by now that it had lost all novelty value. I wonder: has it ever happened anywhere that an entire restaurant worth of patrons and staff has gathered around to watch an East Asian use cutlery and be amazed that such a person can eat local food?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Every white person naturally speaks English.

I wonder: do Chinese people expect every yellow person to naturally speak Chinese? What about Indians or Africans?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The fact that like 6th generation 3/4 chinese canadians don't speak fluent chinese was a huge and constant mindfuck to international students here.
The fact that white people knew how to use chopsticks and could eat this secret unique chinese crop called "rice" was also a huge mindfuck.

Interesting that they would cling to these ideas in the face of plentiful evidence to the contrary. You'd think they would have noticed by now that what language you speak is not determined by genetics. Also, wiki claims that rice was cultivated in the Middle East and Egypt in the days of the Roman Empire, and that rice stores have been discovered in military camps in Germany dating to the 1st century AD. That they haven't noticed this and other examples of rice cultivation outside China in the last 2000+ years is nothing short of remarkable.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Haier posted:

The first time I met my ex-GFs parents in hometown, when we were leaving they gave us a 5kg bag of pomegranates. I didn't know much about face culture back then, and they had assumed I had never eaten or seen such a fruit before. The look on their faces when I said they are common in the supermarkets where I am from... pure face loss.

Quite an assumption, that:

Wikipedia posted:

The pomegranate originated in the region of modern-day Iran, and has been cultivated since ancient times throughout the Mediterranean region and northern India.It was introduced into Spanish America in the late 16th century and California, by Spanish settlers, in 1769.Today, it is widely cultivated throughout the Middle East and Caucasus region, north and tropical Africa, the Indian subcontinent, Central Asia, the drier parts of southeast Asia, and parts of the Mediterranean Basin. It is also cultivated in parts of Arizona and California. In recent years, it has become more common in the commercial markets of Europe and the Western Hemisphere.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ladron posted:

I am completely aware of this, but ask any korean and they will say that their food is the spiciest on the planet and has been for millions of years, even before the portuguese brought chili peppers to their peninsula, so peaceful, so kind, which is the point/joke I was trying to make by saying he misspelled "koreans" because they think they are the only ones with spicy food in the entire world.

Perhaps this is unanswerable, but where do they get this idea that Korean or Chinese dishes are oh-so-spicy? You'd think that, in China at least, there would be some historical awareness that their Indian neighbours also use a lot of spice in their food.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Could it be these?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Who are the Ashlanders and who are the Great Houses in this analogy?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's for Koreans silly, foreigners cannot possibly comprehend our 8,000 years of most scientific language.

Has it ever happened anywhere that people assume East Asians to be incapable of grasping the Latin alphabet?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Let us English posted:

I have now show Hidden Figures to two of my classes, and I'm shocked but very happy that they a) Did not make fun of black people during the screening and b) the girls in particularly seemed super engaged and really seemed to enjoy the movie. Usually anything cool I try to show these classes fall flat and the appearance of a single black person on-screen is often cause for mild tittering at best or crude jokes at worst.

Have you tried showing In the Heat of the Night?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Haier posted:

They were not white. They were Asian-American.

What an odd pair of labels. If a pale Russian from Siberia or the Far East immigrates to the US, he or she would likely be considered white, yet still be an Asian-american in terms of geographical origin.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Haier posted:

He didn't realize that the people giving the massages are older men, and the only girl there is the receptionist. Her masseuse told her there's some dude playing five-finger bingo in the lobby, so they both went out to have a look.

Hang on, how could there be a masseuse around if the massaging was done by men? Was the one who worked on her a transsexual who preferred to be viewed as female?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Hedenius posted:

Germans: rich and insane about anything "typically swedish".

In Norway, they have a strange fixation on elks (Alces Alces, not Cervus Canadensis), including stealing the signs warning motorists to look out for them crossing the road. Presumably they do that kind of nonsense in Sweden as well.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I'll assume Nazar is Gamal Abdel Nasser, but who is "Mazni"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

They might mean Guiseppe Mazzini, the Italian republican leader?

Probably, he had a beard like that in the photos. Aside from calling them all "dictator" (possibly a bad translation of a word that simply means "leader"), the selection is pretty strange. Ivan, Catherine, Lenin and Stalin from Russia/Soviet Union, but no Peter the Great? France has Napoleon and "Johan of Arc" (with an Indian headwrap and some strange-looking armour), but not Louis XIV or De Gaulle? The only British dudes are "Hentry VIII" and Churchill?

• Locked thread