Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPk2jkrwJRw
Just pounding some beers before riding bike to work teaching middleschoolers

E: oh poo poo, running late for class gotta finish this beer quick and pedal to work

Still butchering last video for the songs... it'll be up sometime... Riding around in China not getting as lost as Id like : (.. 1) Night ride workout a little 2) Video hell out of sync even 3) Tired to start out hence= bad ride 4) trying to get lost 5) Free music 6) Sorry about language youtube pissed me off a bit 7) Cant remove songs over 2 hours... 8) shorter than two hours doesnt work either fwiw 9) I am so slow... must be something wrong with bike or I am dying 10) Messed up Tesla Visit twice... Ill do that again sometimes... 11) Everyone is shopping 12) Tires slow in hell in riain I remember 13) 35km strange coincidenced.... 14) Trying to get lost going opposite way of university... 15) Almost accident 16) BBQ everywhere 17) Winter is coming 18) Super moped 19) Night time side streets 20) Found some new foerigner blogs in China 21) Winston The South African Guy and the Laowhy86 guy 22) They are the pros 23) I used to be a photogrpher back in the day 24) I remember before they had the word blog 25) I remember when I had a 1gb microdrive 26) Good intro to South Africa 27) Poor and choising between Mongolia 28) Going in Circles 29) Nomadic Spirit 30) Living in the wake of my idealistic youth 31) Elon Musk is going to save us nomads 32) Reverse Culture Shock 33) NAzi America 34) Lost money and dirtbikes 35) Nice guys marrying doctors 36) Taking a leak 37) Piss Theme Song getting warmed up 38) Pissed of the bloggers sorry about that 39) Getting married a lot and loneliness 40) CHinese people and their fishing habbits 41) New donation system 42) Forgot virb wifi password Sorry hosed up camera now its too low... 43)Back scratching machine from pink floyd 44)Election hamsters in Hillars rear end 45) Missed debate issues 46) The hosed up Electorate System 47) They dont talk about poo poo 48) Going the unwanted way 49)ELon Musk for president 50) Why leave Earth 51) Bring me the NOmad too mars 52) Radiation going to mars aint thaat big of a deal 53)Muck is too late 54) Military Industial complex 55) Camera too low 56) Rich and famous 57) Dogs ID Shakedown 58) Elon Musk Smear Campaign Q&A 59)Camera too low now sorry 60)All that way for nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnpGQcgwGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm using some of these pics in class next week. I showed Mayan skull deformation and now I can give them an idea what it would look like as a living person.

I was expecting a genetic disorder, not head binding

"Fiveheads and Sixheads are pretty sexy, can you do a Twelvehead?"
I got you, fam

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
:derptiel:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

My WeChat/Tantan dates in fast forward .jpg

Fits like a glove.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

From the BBC article posted above. I am guessing they handsomely paid the French "coach" to make them rote-memorize certain wines.

If you read between the lines, that's exactly what happened. A group of people were highly trained to identify certain wine characteristics to win a "contest."

[quote][...] saw [the Chinese team] perform best at identifying the 12 wines' countries of origin, grape varieties, vintages, producers and appellation

Good job, you can identify a wine's vintage and region by taste like the fictional James Bond can, congrats, that's super useful. Hooray for China wooooooo. Let me know when you can brew up and export something better than hobo jug wine.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://i.imgur.com/6Wj5Ep3.gifv

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

Corrupt local politicians are sitting around outside with tables full of black money to "loan" to farmers, hoping when/if they repay it all back it will become white money for them. They are loaning stacks of 3 lakhs rupees (300 thousand rupees), which is an amount that is nearly impossible for any farmer to ever pay back in his lifetime. LMAO at these bastards.

Can you give us, like, the scale?

Like "3 lahks" is "more than a farmer could pay back in a lifetime." But what is, like, their yearly wage? What's a "cr" of rupees? I get that a "cr" of rupees takes up more space than most goon apartments... It's, like, $150,000??

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

Where I work is a big apartment in an apartment building with 30 floors. My boss owns so many places that she used one of her houses as an office instead of renting a specific place. Across the street is a middle school and down the road a high school and there's an elementary school somewhere. Every day at noon, and then again at two and also four PM is insane pandemonium of kids and lovely grandparents clogging every hallway and elevator. The old people are worse than the kids, because they bum rush the elevator door as soon as it's open before anyone can exit, like it's going to leave without them.
Many of them don't control the kids at all, even if the kid is doing something bad like hitting other kids and making them upset. There's this one poo poo I used to see every day with his grandpa and the kid would kick and punch other kids who are big enough to go alone. He'll pull on their backpacks as they are getting off, or hit all the buttons so the elevator stops at every floor. They'd get angry and then he'd run back to gramps, who would say nothing and do nothing. One day he was running full speed through some of those plastic air conditioner doors, coming right at me while I was about to walk through them. I had enough time to either accept this kid at mach one into my crotch, or defend myself. I turned sideways and hip-checked him right into a wall. He bounced much farther and harder than I thought. He was on the ground, staring at me all googly eyed and the grandpa just stood there saying nothing, and then I smiled at him and he got up and left.

There are a lot of people that don't understand the up/down arrows, but the thing that gets me is the crazed "door close" button mashing. I have yet to be in an elevator in China where this isn't the case.
They mash the gently caress out of that button, and I can see it's broken in all but one of the elevators. It saves them about one full second of time if it actually works, but it usually never does. They mash it even while the doors are closing. Whenever I get on I never touch it, and there's someone else in there they sigh very loudly and go to pound on it while the doors are already closing. It's the same as that nervous "OMG OMG OMG OMG" that people in the supermarket line get when you're not shoulder-to-shoulder with the person in front of you, shoving all their stuff out of the way to make room for yours. People get so on edge when you don't press that loving button that the whole vibe of the elevator changes immediately. They're losing precious single-digit seconds of their life and its all your fault, even though they're facedown in their phones regardless of where they are going or what they are doing. I will always gladly let them have their panic attack of the day.

One more elevator gripe:
I have found that many, many men with a friend or partner like to use it as a time to complain about foreigners. I know it's on purpose and it's dumb as hell, but it always, always begins the exact same way:

Ahhh Elevator gripes, I'm getting so very used to those. And trains too! I may not be in China but I live in a building and state where most people weren't born in a country that has those and nobody knows how to use elevators/trains.

A: I'm 6'4", and wide
B: I'm exiting the elevator or train with a bike
C: My 6'4" body is exiting this elevator or train pushing a bike and YOU ARE NOT GETTING ON THIS ELEVATOR OR TRAIN UNTIL I EXIT

It shouldn't be very difficult for people to understand but I will run you down if try to walk onto the elevator the moment it opens instead of waiting to see if somebody is getting off. I run into strollers or shopping carts or children trying to bolt onto the elevator on a regular basis. We've got a dog and it requires a specific command to even get on the elevator, just to make sure everybody is off the elevator before we instruct the dog to get on. If a dog can learn such standard interactions it shouldn't be difficult for people to learn them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

I guess Southern China has a quasi-tropical climate and that's why people can't handle slightly lower temperatures?

Sounds more like everybody just dresses like northern folks because "it's the time of year you bundle up", no matter what. Like everybody thinks "It's November! Time to dress like we live in Minnesota and crank the heat up!" even though they're in Florida while everybody in Minnesota is like "Fresh air is good for you, crank the windows open and fire up the coal stoves!" no matter how cold they are.

Back when everybody was complaining about AQI in the thread I was loving miserable because people here in Minnesota were going "It's November! Time to burn wood in the fireplace!" even though it was like 70 loving degrees in the daytime (normal high: 48) and the AQI rocketed up to the 60's.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

caberham posted:

but I just go out for a run to keep my body warm.

That's a fun conversation no matter where you are, I imagine.

No, I'm not cold, I'm warmer than you. I'm literally sweating right now because I'm exercising in [clothes not suitable for lounging around in that weather] but I stopped moving.

For me it usually goes like:

(70 y/o) Aren't you cold like that?
Nah, I bike year round, I'm probably warmer than you right now
70 y/o looks at me funny wishing it was warmer out so they could tell me a story about how they liked riding bikes in the summer in their youth

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
One of the Chinese bikeshare companies plans on dumping bikes on the streets of San Francisco.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-threatens-legal-action-bikeshare-company-rumored-launch-city-streets/

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Free hotdog at the gas station when you fill your tank? That sure sounds like it's worth spending an hour on the road and 4 gallons of gas for!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Man travelling home realises he's been cycling 500km in wrong direction 30 days into journey

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

It would never work. Desperate idiots would be cutting off a limb to become disabled and get the "gently caress anyone I want" card.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml
http://mentalfloss.com/article/67097/nub-city-vernon-floridas-decade-long-insurance-scam

"What is clear is that, at some point in the early ’50s, the idea of trading one’s limb for a few thousand dollars became seductive enough an option to a significant percentage of Vernon’s population. By the mid '60s, at least 50 of Vernon's 700 residents had joined the Nub Club by way of farming accidents, garage mishaps, hunting incidents, and so on. Although a few Vernon residents had the boldness to saw and hack off their limbs, most preferred the brevity of the shotgun blast."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

Or, you don't get organs unless you're a donor.

Ahhh, the old "I'll buy insurance once I get sick with cancer" scheme.

Beaten a bunch of times.

Maybe time as a donor could count for something when determining where on the recipient list you fall?

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 9, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
http://i.imgur.com/suGZdHN.jpg

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

hakimashou posted:

What the absolute minimum overhead for "Study English in America?"

Call it a Christian Boarding School, set it up in Florida and you can do whatever you want.

http://tampabay.com/faccca/

"The religious exemption protects the programs from inspections by the state’s department of children and families, which means students can be imprisoned or shackled and, unlike with licensed youth programs, can be denied contact with their parents and prevented from accessing child-abuse hotlines. Regulatory authority over these religious programs lies almost entirely in the hands of the Florida Association of Christian Child Caring Agencies (FACCA). And these programs flourish in other states as well, since no national regulations exist to oversee such facilities for teens."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

"Guys, this wasn't some poverty stricken city. They had Walmarts for Christ sake"
lol

I've tried typing out how maybe Walmart in China is like the American trash tier fast food chains somehow manage to be fancy sit-down places that treat their customers properly but I just can't do it. I just can't imagine Walmart in China as having a different sort of customer than Walmart in the US. Thanks thread.

I picked up some "Guangdong style noodles" from the local "SE Asia" shop (Hmong) and didn't know what to do with them so I threw in some chicken base and veggies and some leftover chicken and a broken-english blog told me my instincts were right, but that I add some oyster sauce and maybe use shrimp/prawns instead of chicken meat. I should probably start asking the US born native-accent-minnesotan-Hmong cashier more questions like why do they have pickled cabbage that's not kimchi and do I eat it like kimchi? I've been eating it but it's like sauerkraut with beef tendons, green onions, and no radish or chili, so I'm confused. I though it was going to be something like a homemade kimchi rather than buying jars of kimchi from a white-people-store for way too much money, but it's not. I don't want to ferment this poo poo myself god damnit just give me an affordable source.

OTOH, fuckit, my best fish monger and "Asian distribution hub" are a few hundred feet from each other. They say it's crawfish season and that's what I'm looking for.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This is literally some sim-city poo poo right? We've built more hotels, amusement parks, skyscrapers, massive numbers of residential apartments, and a monorail.
We win Sim-China right. Right?!

gently caress it, I give up trying to bbcode-embed this poo poo
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/12/guiyang-beats-beijing-shanghai-to-title-of-chinas-best-performing-city-milken-institute-says.html
SimChinar

quote:

"With the construction of hotels, amusement parks, skyscrapers, massive numbers of residential apartments, and a monorail, it is easy to see why this city climbed our ranking so quickly,"

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Somebody in China really enjoyed Top Gun
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/18/politics/china-us-jets-intercept/index.html

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

They're kids. It's a blue plastic watch that probably cost about 20 RMB. Nothing fancy, just something cheap all of the GAY CLUB members could buy.

C'mon Haier, even you can afford a gift like this https://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-necklace-best-friends-forever-4.html

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
nvm

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

The nationalism is dumb, but given how efficiently rice concentrates soil/water pollution I also do not eat Chinese rice if at all possible. I don't blame anyone for avoiding it. Chinese people also buy all imported if they can afford it.

Yeah I'm kinda picky about rice too. I don't buy American rice because Arsenic.

I get a good laugh at all those health food stores selling "USA Grown" brown rice as if it's something healthier while they're pedalling a product loaded up with arsenic.

quote:

All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests.

quote:

Brown rice has 80 percent more inorganic arsenic on average than white rice of the same type.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

simplefish posted:

I knew neither of those things, thanks buddy

No problem guy.

I know this has been posted here before, but somebody set it to a new soundtrack and it's good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI64RvRi7R4

Lots of guys stand around and watch. What's the phrase for that?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Are they loving Ferengi?

e: I love durian and dislike doughnuts :confused:

Nope, a Ferengi honors contacts with other Ferengi

Rule of Aqusition 17

"A contract is a contract is a contract (but only between Ferengi)."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jeoh posted:

she's really loving hated by chinese netizens because her acting skills bring shame to the chinese race

"Jing Tian has also been nominated for "Most Disappointing Actress" at the Golden Broom Awards (China's equivalent of Golden Raspberry Awards) three times, winning twice."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

Every time he send her messages, usually SMS now since you can't send much in Wechat friend requests, she translates them and shows me. His former best friend lives here in SZ and I met the guy multiple times because everyone knows everyone. Nobody knows me and CG are together, but somehow the rumor spread of her and a foreigner. Since she was blocking the guy, his BFF here had to have a "talk" with her on his behalf. She was so annoyed about his blatant questioning, that she made up a story about this foreigner. Since she goes to HK for business often, she told him to relay that the foreigner man lives there, they are fine together, and he is black. She has no racism in her, but knew this would cause massive shock to these idiots and their delicate sensibilities. Cue the ex-BF sending more messages about how she has betrayed him and his family, and she is so careless for herself now, she must be under a spell or something.

Chaoshan Girl is awesome and I'm going to miss her when you move.

Using friend requests to send angry messages is so, so very :salt:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
An 8 part podcast on shipping: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fusion-media-group-2/containers

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

LentThem posted:

now lets talk about being aware of your surroundings for a little

nah

but seriously, this 8 part series on shipping is worth a listen : https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fusion-media-group-2/containers

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bongwizzard posted:

I saw some crazy science guy thing on youtube where he extracted platinum from highway shoulder dirt. I think it was more of a possible-but-impractical deal though.

Cody :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GPWJPLcHg

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

kimcicle posted:

Was there any other expected outcome from this?

There are a lot of people convinced that they're legit. Most people refuse to accept that dockless bikes schemes only exist to do the absolute minimum to bypass currency controls that prevent smuggling cash out of China. I'm a "bike dude” and most "bike dudes" are completely dazzled and just can't see past the empty promises to realize that these bikes are essentially the "product" in an MLM scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

It's a real, Russian, thing. Funded in part by the Kremlin. Headquartered in Moscow. Founded and lead by a Russian.

• Locked thread