Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Yes.

I met a Chinese man who went to Switzerland for a conference and got his wallet stolen. After being giving a book with photos of minor wanted criminals to look through at the police station, he said he couldn't identify the person because 'all the people look the same'

#waiguorenarenotzhongguoren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I post and read about China here on gbs something awful dot com chinar thread because its like a weird Vietnam vet thing of you can't honeslty connect and talk the positives and negatives about China to someone who wasn't there.

They can have opinions of course ranging from informed to armchair strageyist bookstore. Its just they won't get the energy of the place, to the the people doing time in prison waiting to escape feeling, to the streetshitting granny screaming HALLO, so you don't talk about it with friends and family. But when you get someone who has been there its cathartic because you can go I saw a mountain of offo bikes collapse onto the baoan and people gathered to look for 30 minutes and get a I know back..

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I live in Victoria and when I go over to Vancouver I sometimes cough and my lungs get fussy at all the *pollution* in the big city, had the same issue in a lot of europe too. I think Chinese air would kill me in seconds?

Beijing good for healthy

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/ng-interactive/2017/feb/14/are-you-at-risk-how-pollution-increases-your-chance-of-death-interactive

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Today a man got into an argument because his electric scooter skidded on the snow and hit a parked car. A argument then happened between the car owner who was kan re nao ing a mahjong game happening under a supermarkets stretched roof and the bike owner. The bike driver dropped his pants and raised his arms saying come at me. Car owner lost face by being confused. Bike owner got on bike and rode away.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I found out the other day that Lenovo is a Chinese company yet they once made a thing that actually wasn't poo poo?

IDGI

They had IBM or someone holding their hands for decades before IBM sold them the actual chinese branch.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Beijing has come up with a three-year plan to get rid of sewage directly discharged into rivers without treatment, Beijing Water Authority said on Monday.

According to the authority, 141 river reaches in the city are rated as "black and odorous."

Black and odorous water will be eliminated in the capital by the end of 2018, according to the plan.

http://www.china.org.cn/bjzt/2016-02/15/content_37805428.htm

:shrek::shrek::shrek:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Disturbingly, the people I met in the Maoist Peoples Republic of China said they liked Anime.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

PORT OF DANDONG

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

so it looks like that thing i posted last night about the nhl in chinar was just them announcing that a preseaon exhibition game between two teams i dont give a poo poo about will be held in beijing.

I don't know why you're stressing, they are already part of the best ice hockey league the KHL and failing at it.

Go Beijing Kunlun! Except you've got 90% of your games down in Shanghai, all your team is imported whites playing to a crowd of hundreds.

Alrighty then.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

My unofficial rankings of the different chinas

China

+ If you're a 20ish year old white male, you will enjoy the lack of rules, heavy drinking no fucks given culture.
+ Being competent is seen as a superpower.
- Everything is poison
- You will be reminded of your guest worker status repeatedly and randomly

Taiwan
+ Is no 1
+ had a civil society so you can be a goddamn adult, doing adult things and having adult opinions
- less pay because less people so :( on the money but thank gently caress you're not part of the meat sandwich that is rush hour China public transport
- too many expats coming from Korea who are so so soooo damaged

Hong Kong
+ has warm south China climate
+ has independent thoughts
- on the way to being just another chinese city
- the rent on a loving rabbit warrens shelf is some ridiculous bullshit because the the loving elite went from fygm cocksucking brits to fygm cocksucking china elites condemning the under 40s to max commute japan hours work with a bowl of noodles being the only loving luxury you can have

Singapore
+ hot
+ small
- is a claustrophobic company town that you need to fly out of once a month to get somewhere where you can finally loving breathe goddamnit

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

MY TAIWAN BBALL IS LIKE AN EX GIRLFRIEND

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

A true and accurate representation of ESL teaching in Korea.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Went and read "Stillwell and the american experience in China" based on a recommendation from this thread.

Will post some pages probably tomorrow, what was interesting was

1) all the Americans in China telling Roosevelt and Washington and being ignored because America has already set the policy and China is the American protestant white mans burden, do you know it? poo poo is hosed, the KMT can't run anything, at best they are a failed fascist state that is hoarding all the lend lease equipment we send, theyre loving over the common people and this is delaying the inevitable showdown with the communists, who aren't real communists btw, they have popular support and from what we have seen they have their poo poo together and will give China the loving reform it needs to get this 1911 carcass of a country moving and modern, maybe we can work with them, equip them?

2) the KMT stuck with CKS being a temperamental pre madona who is living off one campaign that was successful years ago, and has successfully divided and conquered the regional warlords by starving and supplying equipment according to political needs, who are token KMT anyway, and more than likely will gently caress off and do their own thing given half the chance. Also, why fight Japan? China is too big for them to absorb, outlast them, and let foreigners go and get killed and win the war. Why is the US saying, go and risk my best troops and best equipment, these fuckers will take the stuff lose, and there goes another loving pillar of my rule. If we have to wait in Chengdu for another 5 - 10 years for the war to be won by other people, so be it.

3) the British, Burma is a loving backwater, why are we fighting the japanese in loving Burma, there is a reason we didn't build any loving roads connecting it to India, also gently caress China as a regional power and pillar of the postwar settlement, my name is Churchill and you Roosevelt are a hot air blowing naive baby who doesn't know how the world works, wah wah, we are a Empire that pissed everything away

BCR fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 27, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

wtf does this even mean

Someone applying Clausewitzs centre of gravity to international trade to show whos important at the time.

From memory, so yolo, world trade centred in the mediterean during the greek and roman empires by having the biggest volume and worth of trade, it then moved to the middle east with the new Islamic empires and collapse of the Roman Empires, wandered over again to the Mongol empire, then headed to europe with the renaisance then the atlantic with the conquest of americas then moved to the pacific with the decline of european empires and post decolonisation.

It was used by historians to show who was the great powers, using trade as one of the centres of gravity.

As a historical theory, its a slightly less retarded version of whoever runs Kazahkstan runs the world because its the heart of Eurasia and if you have the heart of Eurasia you can expand and influence towards the middle east, europe, russia, far east etc.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Lets be honest. At some point, they would discover all of this

These things that hover just outside the no why

These things that need a somebody caring about the kuai income.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Beijing today. Yay.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Haier posted:

By 2020 in the machine elf reality:

Buy this at the local herbal medicine shop with the billions of bottles full of old roots and leaves:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.13.XXi3Ek&id=544748441361&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Combine it with this, preferably purchased at another medicine shop:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.lfyPjG&id=545540912088&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Grind up. Measure. Boil for a bit separately in hot water. Strain. Drink the harmala first, wait 30 minutes, and then drink acacia. Lay down and have your ego death legally, because you just made Formosahuasca (Best China ayahuasca drink).

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12190

Can someone please make this as TCM for an aunty? At least the acacia alone when brewed will give someone a trip.

Would going on a DMT in your room in a Chinese megacity throw you into some sort of hellish deadzone for 30 minutes?

About 20 minutes later, it hit me like a wall, and the subsequent 40 minutes were pretty horrifying, lasting, it seemed, for a few life-times. Worrisome physical effects included limb tremor and motor coordination impairment. The cognitive/psychological aspect can hardly be put into words, but here are a few remarks on what's been experienced:

- ego displacement: a sense of being controlled, on the one hand, and a sense that the visual distortions follow my emotions and intentions, on the other hand;

- profound modifications in colors and shapes;

- profound synaesthesia (bowel movements translated into sounds of childish giggling, to give you an idea);

- visions of colorful networks extending out of my body (much in the spirit of Alex Grey's paintings);

- hearing myriads of inarticulate playful voices; glossolalia (in auditory hallucinations, but also gaining control of my speech organs);

- breathing and swirling of the surfaces (bedding, etc), at times inviting for a touch or a kiss (I guess they were trying to talk to me, but we didn't quite find a common language);

- thoughts that I have killed myself by taking too much (or by bizarre acacia side effects);

- lightning-speed kaleidoscopic reviews of the behaviors and strategems that I and the people around me have engaged in over the course of my life.

40 minutes later, a rectal purge followed, after which I returned to the baseline almost immediately.

:china:

Link

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hot pot is bad for drinking because it doesn't line your stomach, and you end up half cut because you've spent 30 minutes watching noodles and raw meat boil.

Uigher food is the way to go for drinking. Get one of those using bread as a plate pizza for the food with the meat and peppers and onions cut on top and you're there.

Hot pot is some bullshit too long weak rear end meal for boring people waiting to stave off the inevitable ktv trip where they sing the same songs.

Hai de lao hotpot has fantastic service tho, and are a bright shining light of service in the Chinese restaurant world.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Or just in general. Halal is the way to go in China, since at least some attention was paid to hygiene.

Depends on the place but yeah Muslim and Buddhist restuarants are my go to for food in China. I can't stand the oil, white rice, bony fish, sickeningly sweet or the numbing spicy of the different regions food.

Another random observation of language and the cultural barrier.

Sick = lazy, not feeling it, don't want to, mild cold, headache, pain, severe period cramp, lost fingers, lost limbs, gangrene and everything in between. But in my experience is used on the very light side of the spectrum, I'm tired, I'm bored, I don't want to do this. So when I'm really sick you get an understanding gap, like this:

I am on a business trip and get the biblical laduzi fountain from both holes. I am sick.
:( I will not be coming into the meeting tomorrow. I tell the liason, I am sick.
:aaa: 'Oh, but the meeting is important, you can't come? This is a big problem."
:( No its not, a gopher will take the cliff notes so you have an idea which I will follow up probably in two days when I'm not sick and have had all the immodium.
:aaa: You should not eat Chinese food, Chinese food is for Chinese, you should eat foreign food. This is your fault and will cause a big problem.
:( I'm going to the loving hospital, the gopher will bring the loving papers.
:aaa: I'm trying to help you, this is your problem you eat Chinese food
:( A stream of non swearing anger
:aaa: Ok, ok, i will present gophers notes

They think the gopher notes aren't impressive enough, so rather than explain the situation down to laduzi which is so common its an understandable excuse for pretty much anything they baidu translate a random wikipedia page related to what we are doing and present that.

Spicy = light numbing, medium numbing, small firey, medium firey

:aaa: Oh you know spicy food? Have you tried this?
:( its ok, I prefer currys for the spicy food though
:aaa:Indian food is dirty
:( Have you tried?
:aaa:No, its just too dirty
Since I have some authority, I decide to be a bastard and organise a team lunch at an expat Indian resturant. Most of the fuckers, just eat pilou rice. A handful gave the curry a go, said they liked it, but now actively avoid talking about spice to me.

BCR fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I will say that hot pot is better than shanghai food.

"lets just cover everything in sugar or honey guys, that will be awesome, right?"

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Team Doritos

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

my name is tony jerry lily lucy. no pains no gains. it is interesting and you can have a try. that is all, thank you.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:china:
Can't eat the fish, the water has poisoned the food chain.
Can't eat pork because the pigs get a lunch of last resort antibiotics and steroids
Can't eat chicken because the chooks are eating garbage
Can't eat the beef because the cows get force fed last resort antibiotics and steroids
Can't eat the vegetables because sprinkled with heavy metal water and human poo poo.

Can maybe eat some of the :airquote: organic vegetables :airquote: because less heavy metals and pollution.
Can drink beer but will have residual heavy metals in it.

Come to China to lose weight, have your hair fall out and be an alcoholic.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The rules of the road of the peoples republic of china 2017
1)Generally go with the direction of traffic, unless you are doing something important, then you can have a try and do your own thing.
2)It is mandatory for ebikes to ignore red lights and all road rules.
3)Stay in the pack, if you leave the pack, you will be inconveinanced unless you are doing something important.
4)Blue trucks have right of way, at all times, in all places.
5)Red trucks can have a rest wherever it is conveinant.
6)All traffic police instructions are to be ignored.
7)As a vehicle, you can use pedestrian crossings to cross the road.
8)If you touch a pedestrian, it is best to keep driving.
9)In the event of an accident either a) get out and anger waggle of fingers with push shove or b) lie and moan on the ground until a crowd forms
10)Expensive cars have right of way at all times except when in conflict with Blue trucks.
11)If you have left a gap, you have lost it, try to be more important next time.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Saying "nihao laowai, and the mandarin for you need to be polite" and filming them is pretty good for setting most of the bad tourists off.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

numerous comments objected to the Red Dress Charity Run. People reacted to the photos with comments like:

"Demons;" "Really despicable;" "One word: really (expletive) nauseating;" "They're all so weird looking;" "Foreign bastards in China are an abomination against heaven;" and "Really (expletive) disgusting, takes 'disgusting' to a whole new level."

One person echoed a commonly-heard Chinese refrain about expats: "A large proportion of the foreigners that hang out in China are losers."

Other comments referred to China's authoritative police forces. Online comments ranged from "This should be regarded as an illegal gathering;" "Imprison them for 15 days;" to "Where are the chengguan (city management workers famous for causing altercations)?" and "Where are the cops?"

The event had been originally posted to Weibo without being described as a charity event, which was later corrected in the comments. However, some Chinese commenters were not persuaded by this information.

"Don't try to use some (charitable) event to change what this is: a group of foreign trash along with a group of crazy domestic trash," wrote one person. "Foreign trash is attempting to insert their retardedness into China."

http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2017/06/20/red-dress-charity-run-attracts-online-controversy

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Haier posted:

LOL. Mold is not a health hazard in China. It is just a discoloration that keeps happening. Better to ignore it. Maybe put some green tea on it, since green tea is the same as bleach in TCM.

Also the part where the government ID photos are all like 15 years old and everyone looks like plastic mannequins.

If they had critical thinking skills they would lose face when they realize that if only losers are coming to China it must not be very good in general, since all the winners and money makers are going elsewhere. Even Chinese don't want to be in China. It's like being the cashier in a tabletop games shop and complaining about the neckbeards and smell.

As I get closer to my leaving, the most common question is "WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?" along with butthurt like "U DON'T LIKE CHINA???" and asking why I don't want to stay here forever. They think that I am allowed to simply arrive here and stay as many years as I want, have the same lovely rights as a local, and that I feel the same way about China as they are supposed to. Answering that I am not a Chinese citizen isn't a good enough excuse. Many see me leaving China equating to me hating China, because if I liked it I would do everything in my power to stay here. Maybe it goes with their idea that if a Chinese can get work in a select foreign country, there's a 90% chance they are going to try to stay there forever.

It was a source of many break-ups and deletions by dates and plunge partners before, because they were convinced they would be the one that got me to see the glory of Mainland China, and I would just park myself right here and never leave. They seriously thought I could and would be able to stay, get married, buy a house, never leave, and have no desire to go to my own country or go live in any other country. It was pure delusion, and I found it be a delusion that was so common that I wouldn't even get into the discussion because it was so tiring.

Now that I am closer to leaving I just tell them "It is a matter of culture. Most foreigners are not happy in China after a while, because Chinese culture is too different." When asked what the cultural differences are I just say "Everything."

Video, I sometimes use to address this.

Now, I don't follow these people on youtube, but following a big controversy where the wumao brigade went up against him saying he was picking fights and causing trouble, I had a look. From the few videos I saw he has gone from pretty cool things in China to China can be annoying. Don't care for their wacky things with my Chinese wife, but lol at the wumaos going mental at someone who was giving China some soft cultural hey this is cool.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cebu, go diving

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Firecrackers in the hallway
Squat making GBS threads in the hallway
Rocking a Beijing bikini while squat smoking in the hallway
Chinese National Anthem played at full volume at 4AM

Things Chinese people say.

BCR fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 20, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Presumably its built to the best Soviet standards of build a weapon to be used by peasants who only have their own piss to clean it with.

So probably 60% dud rate?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:china: Welcome to the Chinese team, now you have met everyone, we expect you'll be a great help in the internationalisation of this company.
:china: We would like to observe your work and portfolio, to get a better idea of where you're at.
:australia: No problem, I too would also like to see your work, so I can co operate smoother with your work teams.
:china: Oh, well no, that won't be necessary.
:australia: Well can I at least see your materials on X,Y and Z so I can get up to speed.
:china: Well, not right now.
:australia: Well, ok, can you show me to where I will be working and what my IT account will be.
:china: Blank stares.
:australia: Well, who do you want me to report to.
:china: Hurried discussion in Mandarin. He's not here, why don't you have a rest?

Welcome to the onmishambles.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Regular company, or English school? Just wanna set up my expectations for future updates.

This was a small Chinese middle man company based in Beijing and the north east that got its cash from being the go between for foreign companys and Chinese companys.

Some highlights off the top of my head.
* Everyday I would turn on the cold water tap of the water dispenser and it would be turned off by the time I came back to use it.
* I try and drink about 4 to 5 litres of water everyday. Whatever the conversation was before, it would turn to commentating that I am drinking water, and that this was an amazing thing.
* My main job was sitting and patiently annoying someone to do the 'right thing' in paperwork, or marketing or whatever for a Chinese or foreign client. I would video myself doing this as evidence, or have the wechat screenshots, or the Chinese instructions in an email. This was for when they finally did the right thing while I was there, then when I left, they would sometimes go back to the wrong old easy way then try to blame the foreigner for it. This would happen at least a few times a week with the same people. Who were continually surprised that the foreigner who sat by their desk telling them to do the right thing was actually documenting it and had proof of their gently caress up every time.
* One group said they liked spicy food, so took them to Indian restuarant without telling them what the restuarant was. Half the group flat out walked away without going in.
* I mainly only eat out at Xinjiang or Buddhist restuarants, which was a source of amazement, as well as continually being asked if I like rice and being surprised when I said no.
* I went to one KTV where the IT team stripped and had a whipped cream fight. This is pretty normal for a group of guys maybe once or twice a year in a sports season, but this was their go to having fun thing a couple of times a week. They were willing to do other things like escape rooms but they still had their whipped cream ktv.

The best way to describe working there was it was like people with goldfish memorys who were trolling their pet foreigner daily and they would get annoyed with pet foreigner who stopped being interesting as soon as he was getting them to do their actual jobs.

Positives was got paid well and on time the correct amount by sitting there and patiently annoying the money man till it happened. Which was normally after the third or fourth person would come looking for me because they needed something and me saying sorry can't help right now I'm working out something with the money man which would lead to one of the bigger bosses coming down and telling the money man to just pay the foreigner we need him for something. This would happen every pay day.

The thinking was maybe this time we can get the foreigner to take less pay so I can get those dumplings, ktv stripper, english lessons for my brat.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

nickmeister posted:

So they thought you would just give up on getting paid?

Yep. From their perspective there was nothing to lose. Hold it back and see what you can get. Its like when you go to a corner store and go well all your crap was really expensive give us something for free and they give you a box of cigarettes or chewing gum. If they tell you to get hosed, you haven't lost anything, but sometimes they will give you something.

Haier posted:

Same for me. "Why you drink so much water? My God!" and when I ask them how much they like to drink per day it's always like "300ml every day, maybe less if I have a headache. Water makes me fat." LOL No, you're constantly dehydrated so you retain any water you drink because you're destroying your organs. They refuse to believe being chronically dehydrated has something to do with those chronic headaches they all get, or the chronic halitosis, or the chronic low energy, or a host of other problems and pains.

The whipped cream parties were all dudes, right? Please say yes.

I was getting the "I feel tired, and not thirsty, I just have one cup of water and one cup of coffee." Thankfully a couple starting drinking a few thermos's of water a day and started feeling better.

Yep, whipped cream party was all university grads and 40 year old IT guys. For me it was so unimaginative. Once a month, ok, you can probably have a lot of fun because theres a gap from the last party. Twice a week? Not so much. "You raise me up..." Whipped cream beijing bikini action.

Ups_rail posted:

I gotta ask, did the other workers know/realize that the money man was trying to stiff you, and have no issue? Did he do this to them?

With them, a lot would get their pay late by a couple of months. So January pay in April kind of thing. Some he would pull some multi level marketing poo poo, some love your company poo poo we have cash flow problems and will remember favourably next pay rise or promotion, some I need a loan can you help me, look I can't pay you now heres a free weekend in a shack by a resevoir for you and your family. Every different angle he would try.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

This has no point or conclusion.

I am a socialist and believe socialism is cool and good.

I manage to annoy many Chinese party members by stating that Mao destroyed the people with the Great Leap Forward and destroyed the party with the Cultural Revolution and Deng Xiaoping implemented the KMT/GMD corporate fantasy China because Maoism has permanently poisoned the well of taking care of the people.

For my follow up, I go on and state that Hong Kong, Tibet, East Turkestan and Taiwan need a genuine socialist party of the people. With Hong Kong, I can give the most evidence going from a colonial libertarian day dream to having the party of the workers backing the rich local elite and property developers leaving the young, poor and proletariat crying out for a new Hong Kong. With Taiwan, you have in my opinion gone from a crappy fascist party using the Soviet model of secret police, etc with a corruption layer on top that only went democratic because Chiang Ching Kuo said no more dynasty. Tibet, I don't know enough. East Turkestan, giving everything thats happened there, take your pick. Dumped han settlers versus police state abused natives. Maybe another flee to Kazahkstan, Mongolia etc.

The biggest sad thing is when the PRC falls if it goes the same way as the USSR with a crony capitalist rentier class leaching off the infrastructure and facilities built before. Other options include a flourishing of cults, right wing backlash labelling anything left of centre as a return of the CCP so we need blood, faith and soil.

Or maybe we get a new romance of the kingdoms style with another South China, North China, West China.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AIDS crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo

When the KOREAN ktv dick vac machine has not been cleaned after a heavy saturdays, Beijing Bikini stud Batman has a crisis of penis

Now showing on CCTV 13

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

The south Indian communist state. Not the naxalites. The other one.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Or up in the Himalayan foothills chilling with Sikhs and having a good Muslim steak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I enjoy Taiwan's middle ground between China's chabadore and Japan's anality.

Good people, good country, good china.

• Locked thread