Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Imperialist Dog posted:

So I'm halfway through the book about the Great Leap Forward and I think it actually explains more about why China is the way it is more than the complete overt destruction that happened during the cultural Revolution

I think the best description of it is post-apocalyptic movies and films, perhaps taking Walking Dead as an example, except that instead of a complete breakdown of society because of zombies, you have it because of the Communist Party. The zombies are still running after you and trying to eat you, but it's because they are starving farmers.

The stories are absolutely horrendous. Grain production actually went down after the communists took over, but of course because they reported bumper harvest every year, more grain was actually taken from the already starving farmers. Farmers literally ate their houses because some of it was organic material. Food that you could get at the centralised canteen was redeemable with a ticket, which you had to stand in line for for hours. If you follow the rules and stayed in line, it would take you a whole day, and the time you got there there would be no food left. The only way that you could survive is if you pushed the small, like children, or the weak like the elderly out of the way and barge your way to the front.

Everything was fair game. Blind grandmothers were robbed of ration coupons in the street. One woman kept her coupons in a purse around her neck; at night a nephew snuck in, cut the string and took the coupons for himself. The woman died of starvation a few days later. Meanwhile, Party officials and cadres treated themselves to lavish banquets. Restaurants favoured by the Party had rice clogging their sewer system, such were the leftovers.

Due to idiot economic policies, the value of the yuan dropped. People spent money like crazy on ostentatious luxury items because your currency would lose half its value the next day and the State would freeze your bank account anyway. Material goods had a bonus because you could barter with it. Those gold earrings or that jade hairpin you found in the black market could be traded for a sack of grain next month so buy buy buy!

How about an office full of workers doing nothing? It started during this time. Factories and farms set up systems where one guy would watch for the boss/cadre so the workers would look productive when they walked by. Other workplaces didn't give a poo poo. Why? Because workers and farmers alike were literally starving. Doing work burned calories that were not going to be replaced. Sleeping on the job literally became essential to survival.

Does mainlanders throwing away stuff because it has a scratch instead of repairing it annoy you? Turns out you could only repair stuff at Authorised People's Service Centres. The centres were corrupt and inefficient but gently caress you, there's no way for you to fix it yourself because the party has literally confiscated everything. In one village people were mysteriously repairing their clothes because someone had hidden a sewing needle from marauding collection militias. A whole village, sharing one illegal needle.

I'm only halfway through the book but goddamn it explains so much.

wheres the street making GBS threads from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

lottery of babylon is the only person to use this gimmick sucessfully sorry.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

big time bisexual posted:

the talk about cheap coffee reminded me of the best part of the Chi Mak espionage case

That was an ok read thanks for the link.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Haier posted:

"Every country with an economy bigger than California"

Doing us proud, Xi. Doing us proud.

I always tell this to people who are like cali sucks and its basically bankrupt.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

elon musk needs to start donating to xi jinping so that he can put a stop to this.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm absolutely not worried about hurt feelings,

Embrace your white culture and ice your wifes parents out of all contact with you your wife and your children. Or the other part of white culture find a hosed up nursing home and stick them in it to die.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Stringent posted:

google "hun skull"

I did and it was interesting but i could only really find fact and not fiction on wiki would you happen to have a more scientific source?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
not sure if this has been posted or not but its pretty funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8qOV1z7ZA0

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Third World Reggin posted:

despite it being staged, this is a good skit for tv

wasn't sure on the staged part until the finger gun but its still funny

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Haier posted:

As someone who really enjoyed most of his last album, I am not sure what's so offensive about him or his lyrics compared to the local and Korean garbage they play endlessly, causing the government to try to fight back against standardizing boys fashion as waifish and effeminate.

He went to yasukuni awhile back and posted a bunch of selfies of him hanging out there. Paying respects to war criminals tends to have that effect on a nation who is still butthurt over losing a war.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FillInTheBlank posted:

He wasn't 'paying respects to war criminals' they came across a nice looking shrine and took some photos not knowing what it was for.

did you see the pictures? he was doing the pray thing.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

curufinor posted:

anyhow, chinese nationals, sure. lotsa people on green cards faffing about in ai poo poo there. will they move back? prolly nah. maybe if the avatar of cocaine makes them

Isnt prc known for corporate espionage? I remember reading they just straight up offered some swedish dude stacks of cash for windmill controling software and he betrayed his country / company in a heart beat.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"Or how about this one? Remember when it was the day after the election, and the president of Taiwan called Donald Trump to congratulate him? And Donald Trump, of course, took the call and talked to the president of Taiwan. The problem with that was… Taiwan doesn’t have a president. The United States functions on what they call “a one China policy,” and Taiwan is a renegade province of said China. And Donald Trump didn’t know that, and picked up the phone and started yammering away, and… the media ate his rear end up. And I’m not gonna lie, I was laughing, I was like, “Oh, poo poo. This dumb motherfucker is in trouble.” And then that night, I was in bed drifting off to sleep, and then, I had to admit it to myself. I was like… “I didn’t know that poo poo, either.” And then I realized the media got the story wrong. The story wasn’t that Donald Trump took the call. The biggest story is that nobody told Donald Trump not to take the call. That’s terrifying."

that 2nd part of his stand up is terrible and it feels like the first part is 99% walking back his trump support

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

value-brand cereal posted:

From this month's National Geographic magazine article about bird fossils...

I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but the 2020 makes be believe in the worst. 2020 huh? Just churning out entire genomes, faster better stronger preciser drafts of bird genomes. Ok. ok.

what the gently caress is chinas problem with birds? first the sparrows and now this? when will their bird lust end

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
So I just found out jackie chan is making propaganda films that are being released in the us.

Theres a local mom and pop video store that offers a monthly subscription to rent unlimited dvds and since netflix dvd takes a week to get me poo poo every couple of months I rent a poo poo ton of dvds and binge watch them.

I was browsing the store and saw kung fu yoga and from the back of the cover it sounds like a normal jackie chan movie it has the director of rumble in the bronx. The name also evokes kung fu hustle which I loved. So I grab this and take it home.

In the first 30seconds it shows a map of china and india and china extends to bengal and gujarat. Then it establishes that china is older then india and has a more civilized culture because of this. It then says that india pays tribute to china and in return china sent a guard to guard their royal family and an ambassador. At this point I'm like loving hell this is a propaganda movie isn't it. Jackie chan you better make me laugh in 10 minutes. So an evil warlord is terrorizing india with his elephant army. Jackie chan the chineese ambassador is summoned by the indian princess on his way he decides alone he can gently caress up the elephant army. spoiler alert he cant and the princess guard comes to help and also almost dies so jackie chan powers up and defeats them. They then go to the princess. Who asks them to liberate her country from the evil warlord's tribe of barbarians.

This is where I turned it off. The back of the cover makes it sound like operation condor but it is more like wolf warrior.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

That ship sailed a long time ago

I figured I’d be banned yesterday honestly, now that I’m still here I’m not sure what to do. I’ll let you all get back to it and go bother the rest of the forums until I trigger someone enough to finally get booted out

Hello friend. I lurk this thread for the plunging stories but I feel like you should sever ties with your dad if even 1/4 of the poo poo you said is true. You should stop posting in this thread and go get therapy. Unless it is therapeutic for you to post in this thread. If that is the case don't stop posting to try to go get banned you need an outlet for your anger it isnt healthy to be so angry about anything but its worse if its about someone society says you should love. I was really angry about familial poo poo but my situation wasn't even like close to half as bad as yours. You have justified anger but I would still seek out help dealing with it. If youre in the states go to your gp and ask for a place with 1 on 1 or group therapy which ever you feel you would be more comfortable with. You may need medication but don't just accept medication try to find a therapist which will help you find coping mechanisms first before prescribing pills. You should bring all of your worries up with your gp so they can try to find you the best therapist.

Back to the posts about 3 peice suits and plunging

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Fojar38 posted:

more face lost this week as 5000 years of Irish history is uncovered

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/13/science/newgrange-henge-ireland-drone-nyt.html

no ring?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mr. Fix It posted:

Help China thread: I need to come up for a three letter code for a new production environment in China. The current one is the unimaginative CHN, and TWN has been shot down. I was hoping to think of something secretly subversive, but all of my ideas are too on the nose.

MDR. mordor

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bajaj posted:

Had this amazing match on Tantan:

Me: "Hey, nice to meet you."
Her: "Nice to meet you too. Are you in China?"
Me: "Yes, you can read my profile."
Her: "Oh, are you in Shenzhen?"
Me: "That's in my profile too!"
Her: "What is your age?"
Me: "That's also in my profile."
Her: "Where are you from?"
Me: "It's in my profile."
Her: "I am sorry, but I don't believe people's profiles in this app."
Me: "Ok, but my profile will tell you everything you want to know."

not to what aboutism but that gives me dejavu from a few people on tinder in the us. not the 2nd part though thats just crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Whoa you know austrailias racist when people are addicted to deporting people.

i know it means meth

• Locked thread