Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Well he is doing commercials for hostels.com. Which is loving baffling but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I should say though that despite the Rob Scneider ad and the 1990s website Ten Ren is actually a great place to buy good tea in the US. Taiwanese company too. I recommend the "Tung Ting" oolong.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

uuuuuugggggh why is this happening?

NHL to make special announcement in China Wednesday

i get the feeling china is going to ruin my favorite sport

Imagine a team that is only goons, no Crosby or Gretzky ever, no one that even thinks of making a shot on goal, one guy that doesn't even carry a stick with him onto the ice and wears MMA gloves instead of hockey ones

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's curious that China so rarely has a competitive boxer in the Olympics but to a celestial what is the point of throwing a punch in a sport where that is allowed? How exactly does one gain face by show the clever when so many physical forms of autistic screeching are actually not cheating?

If you cannot cheat and do so in a repellent, destructive way then what motivation remains to act at all?

raton fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 30, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LentThem posted:

my argument against sichuan peppercorns as spicy food is because of stuff like "and so perhaps cause a kind of general neurological confusion"

its similar to the argument "this show/movie is HILARIOUS if you get high first"

if you have to blindside yourself with some neurological confusion to get any enjoyment out of a food/show, then that food/show is boring poo poo

I disagree

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan pepper is great, try not being big dumb gay babies.

I agree

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Happily serving a plate of food where 75% of the volume is literally inedible still drives me nuts when I order something new and that's what I get.

Get a tom yum goong in Bangkok and it's like someone shredded a wicker patio set and put it into the weird upside down cake pan they serve your soup in.

My favorite story about trash in the food is from China though, where I ordered some chicken thing I hadn't had before, and of course they didn't debone loving anything they just obliterated it with a cleaver and I got this plate of fried up chicken and peppers and there was so much busted up chicken bone in it they might as well have crused up a wine bottle and mixed it in there too. But the real treasure was that, of course, they'd cooked the loving head with everything else in the wok, but had taken the care to cut it in half first, so you had this little bisected chicken head where you could look insisde the beak, see where the brain used to be in the skull, etc. Twice.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Confession time: I have loved every movie my man Rob Schneider has been in. Seriously. Belly laughs. I think he's great.

Well there's always at least one thing any two people can disagree on I guess.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Students offered me some chicken. I looked at it and they had one bag of chopped up spines, one of wing tips (the very tip not the part with the two bones) and one of feet pieces. I declined. "You don't like chicken?" I tried explaining that I prefer to eat edible foods than gnaw on garbage.

I do like that they sell those wingtips in bags everywhere though they're good for chicken stock. Then you throw them away.

I was talking to a girl in Thailand and she was buying the leftover carcass thing that you get when you cut all the other chicken off the chicken from the fried chicken guy. She had him fry it and then chop it up and put it in a bag. I asked her what she was going to do with it and she said "feed it to my dog" and I'm sure that on the other side of the Earth my dad puffed up in resentment at the idea of a dog eating obliterated chicken bones as he was always paranoid that a dog would get a chicken bone "stuck in it's throat." I told her that a lot of Americans won't let their dog eat stuff like that because they think it's dangerous for the dog and she just said "Thai dog different."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sounds like your mission is complete.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's super depressing why do any of you teach at these lovely places?

lol if you think there's a teaching job that isn't horrible in 2017. Like imagine if your peer group was all people with Genesplicer's way of thinking about things but much, much worse.

Last time teaching was good was in like in the 1970s in a university because you were basically expected to be constantly having sex with your students, same for Japan ESL in the 1990s

raton fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 31, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

That's pretty much why people work there, they are usually hiring because they're lovely places where their own community members rarely get the qualifications to teach at them themselves. I was considering creating an AMA thread about my six years in First Nations education, but it would be equal parts depressing/unbelievable, and now that I'm at an awesome school, I don't need to think about it that often any more.

Also some incredibly butt hurt piece of poo poo would do everything in their power to dox you over it, you huge racist.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

No you misunderstand me --- why teach? Period. I remember high school in the 2000s and they were pushing for people to become teachers HARD. I remember laughing at the idea.

It's similar to the military.

Getting a teaching license (in the US, I'm sure in Canada too) requires such an intrusive and unnecessary class load in school (it should be just two or three extra classes, instead its closer to two extra classes every semester) that you have to start doing it when you're a Freshman and it interferes meaningfully with anything else you could be studying in college. Once you graduate you're faced with the same rear end job market everyone other than engineers with family connections and nurses willing to work in rural areas face, and you have this feeling you should use your degree, so you sign on to go work in Shitsville Flatts and it's horrible and it turns out that while you do get a couple of months off in the summer the rest of the time you're working 10-11 hour days, including extra time on the weekend, doing what is basically a combination of working the complaint line at a big box store as far as the parents goes and working in a daycare except there are 35 kids in your daycare for you to watch on your own. If you want a raise you can either wait or get a master's degree (if you have a master's degree to begin with you will either find that you won't be paid for it until x years down the line by policy or you will find that you have trouble getting hired because you cost more than someone without one) and then wait, so lots of people start doing an MEd right away which is even more sunk cost.

Basically if they couldn't trick you into signing on for it at 18 there would be no teachers in North America.

The only saving grace to the job is the pension and many states have basically done everything they can to eliminate it. A teacher's pension in states that still have normal ones would require about 2MM in index fund investments to provide the same likely level of security (which is actually more than the teacher will get in income during their career lol) and seemingly "fair" state cuts to it often reduce the equivalent value to $750,000 or so, which is just hilarious.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 31, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I think it's a bit remiss not to point out that there's, yanno, some fairly understandable reasons behind some of this stuff.

You know, what with the whole 'genocide' and 'massive theft of land' that I seem to vaguely remember happening at some points in N-American history.
People have tried to dox me and thankfully they weren't successful but it was extremely creepy how close they got.

Internet has always been full of weirdos and sad motherfuckers; some of them take poo poo too personally and decide that they gonna do something about. Other times when it's poo poo like SS its for whatever reason. (Lulz sometimes)

Growing up poor is a good reason to insist that your people have always had horses.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

do you by any chance write articles for the economist

wow

v. rude

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also while I appreciate that growing up poor in a lovely environment and drawing your identity from an abused people lends some advantages and creates other obstacles, but everyone has things they can forgive for and things they can't. I grew up in a place where our minorities were natives and have heard the usual "gently caress you white boy" at 2am walking to my car or diatribes about my thieving lying soul at 1:45 am before leaving that same bar, that's fine. If I run into some kindly old native woman telling me a story about how the earth was made that's fine, I'll be nice to her. But when a young man in 2017 wants to insist that his people have had horses since the time the turtle laid the world egg I'm not going to bend over backwards to allow for it or understand how his tortured soul came to this misalignment, I'm going to laugh at him.

I would like to think that if I were a member of that community and rich white kids from Toronto were willing to do four years of college and then come out to the loving wasteland I inhabit with no worthwhile girls to make no money teaching a lot of kids that don't give a poo poo that maybe I'd give him a little more respect and not try to get him fired for carefully explaining science to a 12 year old.

In a science classroom you have a duty to teach science. Same for history in a history classroom. Science and history often have conclusions that are at odds with closely held personal beliefs, including very tender ones, for a lot of people. Part of learning is running into those things and having them run over you sometimes and that doesn't just go for those that have never been run over before, it also goes for those that have. There's no such thing as a just abuse -- getting injured by someone else happens, whether they are right to do that however doesn't have much to do with the fact that there's an injury involved or in the capacity of the injured party to bear another injury. We have a human obligation to lessen the impact of these kinds of things when we can but it's wrong to go into fantasy land to prevent a collision to begin with.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 31, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

very clever with maracas posted:

i thoguht we were here to make fun of chinese, not be racist about brown people whos country we invaded

Nobody brought up the Ainu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

Ummmm isn’t that actually kind of trashy and desecrating the flag?

Numbah one ok

• Locked thread