Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

There have been several and it's just people typing rape and street making GBS threads and linking the Varanasi dead people link over and over and over. It's a broken record and dies after a few pages because no one has been to India or keeps up with its news like in these threads or others.

I'll be going to India soon and look forward to being scammed by every person in New Delhi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Tupperwarez posted:

I cannot convey how charmed my time in China feels after hearing Chinagoon anecdotes. In 3.5 years I didn't experience even 10% of the horseshit you guys seem to go through every day. And even when China happened, it was at a safe viewing distance. All of your stories make me feel truly blessed/lucky.

I really feel the same way, at least for work related stuff. My company has a really heavy emphasis on running things america-style and has a lot of processes in place to prevent a lot of this stuff from happening. The building design, decoration, and landscaping were also originally done by a foreign company so I don't have these cool stories.

Except the time that a giant piece of wall came loose and hit the ground next to the barista in the cafe area

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's time for TGA's "Hey, We're Moving Offices in China! lol!"

part one
part two

the foreigners had to work yesterday, so we all showed up outside the new office. the building isn't really open yet, so we kinda had to go through a roped off construction zone to get to the front door. a police officer was very nice and showed me the way. i know people from my company have been going there because while all the foreigners had a holiday, the marketing staff has been uploading pictures of themselves wearing masks and painting the walls in the new building.

quickly off topic: i really hate the divide of foreigners and locals in my office. they give us all more holiday time, we work 5 days a week for 40 hours, while every chinese person has to work 6 days a week for 54 hours. it just seems like such an easy way to develop bad feelings. in our new office there are two rooms, one is for "foreign teachers" and one is for "chinese teachers", and i said "can't we just put all the teachers together" and the girl said "of course not". uh, ok.

anyway, we took the elevator to our floor, i guess last time the elevator wouldn't go to our new floor. this time it did. one of our employees was encouraged by that. when we arrived, this is what it looked like.

which isn't nearly as bad as it looked in the first picture about 10 days ago. the girl from chicago that works with us was really impressed with how much they've done, and i guess i would be too, but i've seen entire infrastructures for subways go up and running in like under two years, like entire subway lines with 20 plus stops. go near washington dc and they will be doing construction on 495 for the next decade and nothing will ever seem to change. china changes overnight. that's cool and good, IMO.

i did walk around the office, we have only bought half the floor, the other half of the floor looks like this.

so i ended up talking with the girl from HR for a bit, and she said everyone had to work. but since our computers aren't set up yet, and we have no internet, we can't really work right now. so i gave the foreign staff the day to go "work from home", meaning if they have stuff to do, please go get it done. this really isn't allowed in china, like there is this distinct idea at work where if you are at work, you are therefore working. so if you are not at work, you can't be paid for work. as in i've talked to people numerous times who are at work, sleeping or playing video games, and they are like "well today i had to work" and i'll say "what did you do at work" and they'll respond with "nothing, i had a rest". so the entire chinese staff stayed there and chatted and all the foreigners kinda bobbed in and out. i went to go work out.

i could have kissed the HR girl i was so happy, on my way out she came to me and said "i need help translating all of this" and it was all of the english they were going to put all over the office. "admissions", "marketing", "finance", and our previous chinglish all over the wall. she said "we don't want to make any english mistakes this time". i could have cried. i was like "omg its happening...things...are...changing." i told my boss when i signed for another six months that my wife, son and i would be out the door in june, but this office is amazing and they are like...changing the way they are doing things? a little? maybe just a tiny bit? it's so encouraging. i started working for this company in madison, wisconsin, we had a one room office in capitol square that we could barely afford, then i moved to china and we had the most disgusting office ever. then we moved again, now we are here. i was all emotionally ready to leave china but this is so good, it's like "....dammit." it would have been easy if it looked horrible, but this new building is boss. guess we'll see how work keeps going in the future.

God drat at this rate I'm going to lose my over/under bet on that place being serviceable. Even so, I imagine the formaldehyde levels in there are amazing right now. You should totally get one of those cheap testing kits from Taobao for fun. We bought one when our team moved into a new office and people were randomly getting headaches and dizzy spells, and the results were great, like "illegal even by china standards" great.

It turned out you were supposed to let those new cubicle materials 'gas out' on the roof or something for a while first rather than shove them into an enclosed space where the windows don't open. Told the office manager and China Face took over, causing her to tell us "If you don't like it you can leave. Illegal levels, are you threatening me? I have a better lawyer than you." A day or two later she quietly had the cubicles (only from the people who complained) replaced with the older, rotten ones (now no formaldehyde, just mold and poo poo). So the headaches went away in our half of the office, but the people on the other side were still hosed. Super glad I don't work there anymore.

And yeah construction here is weird in that there will be no progress for 3-6 months, and then suddenly 70% of the work is finished in a few days. There was an Ajisen Ramen place that was gutted and dead for about 2 months, and then I walked by it a week later and it was a a finished, stocked clothing store.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

it's been raining the past few days so that's why it kinda looks gloomy lately. tho in those pictures i posted you could see the blue sky a fair amount where we were...just kinda crappy in the southern part of tianjin, looked like mordor.

we got our office computers and internet up and running. i guess this is the real thing. i'm back at work less than 10 days after we were supposed to move and couldn't. i set the over under at 15.5 and everyone bet the over. you all lose, give me money.

Thats amazing, 10 days including the middle of a 7-day national holiday.

There must have been some absolutely furious migrant workers leaving revenge-turds in the paneling.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

fish and chips and dip posted:

First of all, it really does affect my mental well-being (10 more months, 10 more months...), but to be fair, since about June the pollution has been reasonably low in Shanghai. I can't remember the last time there was this long stretch of blue skies and not having to wear my mask everywhere.

Shanghai skies have been great lately.

And then I went to Beijing a couple of weeks ago.

Bonus road safety pics

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
seriously just stop trawling the muck with weixin lookaround and tantan and youll meet normal girls

http://www.data360.org/pdf/20070416064139.Global%20Sex%20Survey.pdf

In other news, Durex survey shows that Chinese people were the lease sexually satisfied globally in 2005. good times

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
These remind me so much of those Americas Funniest Home Videos in the 90s. Like a guy is just being filmed walking through some woods towards his car and, the camera snaps over to look at the car and then WHOOOOOOPS that tree just fell on it out of nowhere! Look at his surprise! But it's totally real, guys!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

I tried people nearby to see if I could have fun Haier stories of my own but after several days I've concluded it's literally 100% prostitute advertisements. I have found nothing else.

in shanghai if you search girls-only it's prostitutes, high school students, and people selling luxury tea/shoes/watches/cigarettes
if you search guys-only it's gay prostitutes, guys looking for girls/prostitutes, and people selling the luxury stuff

also the guy:girl ratio is 6:1

Haier posted:

Wechat. If you're in the US, Canada, or Australia and near a university of any sort, you'll probably see some Chinese on People Nearby if you use it.

if youre near a US university and want to meet chinese girls just go to modelmayhem.com; theyre all on there making a quick buck

Edit: may not apply outside California and Nevada

LentThem fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. I've gotten to the point where I'm incapable of tuning out anyone speaking English because I hear it so rarely. There are loud Americans obviously but as a whole I would rank loudness:

China

The worst sound in China for me are the bicycles with deliberately squeaky brakes that are used as a substitute for a horn. People will hit their brake for whatever reason (likely they're trying to pass me on the sidewalk or something) and my ears immediately start ringing. It's such a loving dumb way for me to end up a deaf old man...

Haier posted:

Anyway, he goon-stared at every girl he walked by. Like, he would turn his head and then move it up while he scanned them from bottom to top. For some he would turn around and walk backwards for a few steps while staring, and then continue forward. He did his for every single drat girl he walked by. People were staring at him staring at girls, especially when we were going past the bus stop. It was embarrassing to be walking a bit behind him because I felt like people were going to assume I was going to do the same. It was just so drat goony.

Some girl on Wechat wanted to add me so I added her and she tried three times in about ten minutes to find out what my job is.

"Ew, hey look at this guy ogling every single woman he passes on the street"
*goes home and ogles every woman on Weixin LookAround (limit 100 per search) daily*

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I've never had people actively move away from me on public transport but once or twice I've had people hustle toward the only empty seat on a crowded bus, notice I'm in the adjacent seat, then just come to a stop and choose to stand for their entire trip.

Maybe my fly was open

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Haier would have a way better chance of meeting girls who are down with casual relationships and not going to get clingy or psychotic if he went to a club/bar instead, but that would require him to spend money so...

The hunt for Free barrel-scrapings from a free app will continue

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
wechat is more like whatsapp or kik, so yeah sending your dick to people that responded to your friend-request is a bit weird

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
If that blogger ChinaBounder poo poo his pants on the reg he'd be Haier

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://i.imgur.com/Oa1dFII.mp4

Yo, not racist

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
as soon as i saw the description of wide but shallow while having cagey backstory and extreme nervousness i thought "sounds like a post-op transgirl"

now im just waiting for the big reveal

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

TCM uses stuff like moxibustion, which burning a big cigar thing that smells like burning garbage and holding it close to an energy point or meridian and then getting lung cancer a few years later. I have met people that seriously do moxibustion 4-10 times per day and they don't give a poo poo that they are inhaling their own impending death because they believe a little bit of heat on this one point is going to solve everything. Just get one of those hot water enema bottle pad things and put it on, or do some jumping jacks or something.

There's a TCM clinic near me with an official wechat account and they'll post short videos for one of the heat therapy things. You lie on a table and they drape several layers of heavy blankets over your entire body, then squirt something flammable onto the top layer. They light it on fire, let it burn for about five seconds, then toss another blanket on top to smother it. Repeat several times.

Yes the treatment is to repeatedly light people on fire, instead of just using an electric blanket or hot water bottles.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-7luu8F-Y

Aha, Huo Liao, and I guess actually you're on fire quite a bit longer than 5 seconds

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

Might as well post this here...
Delhi's pollution today.

god loving damnit, i'm going to Delhi next week. at least im only there for maybe a day and then going to the other end of the country

maybe i can avoid eating/touching/inhaling anything while im there so that it wont ruin the rest of my trip

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

But China is one I can never understand and everyone drives like a loving idiot and I can feel the passive-aggressive confused rage in every single driver as they drive as dangerously as possible and try to endanger as many pedestrians as they can. The two things I hate the most about China are the drivers and the old people. I wish I had a big frozen potato to throw every time some retard turns a corner at 80kmph without any warning or horn to let the people crossing know. I'd go through a lot of potatoes every time I go outside.

That's what makes this video so good (mobile url warning): http://m.miaopai.com/show/channel/GCMydrkGo1xZD~9tSO5n~w__?from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

First worlders cannot resist the intrensic need to exploit countries poorer than their own for their benifit while lambasting them for the very problems their explotation caused in the first place. Most of them lack any self awareness whatsoever.

nah bitch its just inertia im too lazy to go home

laffo at the idea of heading back to california without a job lined up and trying to hunt for one while securing an apartment/car/insurance/license that expired/transferring my chinese wealth 1 nugget at a time into a bank

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

If I post I had a nice day, my job was okay, I graded a good essay a student wrote about the difficulties of publishing history in China, my lunch was awesome and then I chilled out playing Civ 6.

Sounds like you need to post this in the LAN thread, we can swap feelgood lunch stories

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Oh no, a bunch of losers don't like me. This is quite the blow to my self-esteem. I wonder if I will ever recover?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
man, so much smoking and hotpot

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

it wouldn't surprise me if people working jobs that are like minimum wage jobs just shut down when they see a foreigner show up and don't even really think about putting in any effort at all to understanding the conversation or problem because they just assume they aren't going to understand what the person is saying based on the fact that they are a different race than the language they already speak.

Once a few years ago I walked into a KFC in Shanghai and as soon as the young guy at the counter saw me, he got a panicked look and quickly ducked down behind it...I guess hoping I'd think nobody was working and just leave without ordering.

The other girl working at the chicken cubby thing started laughing at him and slapped his back until he stood up and nervously took my order

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Yo Indian demonetization nearly ruined my vacation and on a couple of days forced me to wait for hours in bank queues so I could break down enough invalid cash to buy food, since I was in an area that didn't use credit cards and didn't have internet or 3G.

A few days ago there were reports of old people dying from exhaustion waiting in bank queues, and back on Nov 9 I was witness to a riot at a toll road out of Delhi where nobody could get through because their cash wasn't accepted. I eventually got through when my taxi driver flashed my passport at them and made up some story forcing them to accept a 1000 note.

India, everyone smells like armpits and gutka

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

LOL.
I just wrote a big reply to this and my VPN poo poo itself before I had hit submit, and I lost it all due to no connection. Were you only in Delhi? Most medium and bigger cities have 3G there, so you must have been in the sticks.

I am really, really glad I am not there during this mess, but it is cool to hear about it. Of course people died. India and China have that special attribute where seemingly normal things tend to kill people. I was there that summer when like 1500 people of all ages dropped dead from the heat and you wonder how that happened, but then you accept that it just happens and no why.

I was in Delhi for maybe 2 days (internet wasn't too bad but most free wifi wants to send an SMS and China Unicom was being a bitch and not letting me roam even though I unlocked it). I was out for the rest of the time, so that's why internet and mobile coverage got bad and we also had brownouts daily. On the plus side the prices were maybe 30% of Shanghai prices so the early days where there was a 4k rupee conversion limit at banks was generally enough to last a few days, though the following week the limit was changed to 2k and later 2.5k.

Being in a laid back poo-gas meant a lot less rioting, but I saw some seriously pissed people in Delhi, including foreigners. At Taj Mahal I saw a group of Chinese tourists get hosed and have a blowout with their driver/guide, as the admission fee was 500/1000 rupees per person and they only had the 500/1000 notes, meaning that the 3 hours 1-way trip was for nothing unless maybe some good samaritan could swap notes with them.

That newspaper I took a photo of included a great story about how hosed the ATMs are from this change. All of the ATMs need to be recalibrated to only handle the valid (and new) notes, meaning a technician needs to physically go to the machine to fix it. The article explains how this would not only be a hassle for the rural areas, but that logistically this is loving hard because the process involves coordinating five people (techs, transport, bank employees) to service the ATM, and there are very few qualified people. There are also reports of banks nationwide having problems storing all of the invalid cash pending govt collection after everyone running on the banks, and in rural areas many banks still haven't been issued the new notes (new 500/2000)

but at least i got to chew on sugar and fennel seeds after every meal and have people say "excuse me" in the rudest way possible when they want to get around me

LentThem fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 19, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

LentThem fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 19, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I was gone two weeks and now it's 3 degrees, what happened

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

Wumao Girl

This works so well as beat poetry.
---------------------------

Will hook up with internet stranger
Her mind disgusts me, fingers crossed her body wont

I could meet her at the station like she's a date
She meets me at my door like a common escort

She looks 15, but fit as hell
She shows me her ID card - 24
I show her my dick

We talk about my white face and white dick as we move to the bed
She asks about my white salary
I deflect and put on a condom

Vaginismus
Briefly soak, condomless
Her tiny-hand hand job fails to do the job

She drops a deuce, while i drop a load
I send her away
I eat dumplings alone

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

fish and chips and dip posted:

What annoys me the most watching Chinese TV shows is the super wooden acting. It's like watching a bunch of high schoolers trying way too hard to be ~actors~ during a school play.

For some reason the audio mixing is also really bad. Like background music is inappropriately loud most times, sometimes drowning out the dialogue. Made more irritating when these shows only seem to have a playlist of five songs.

Silly onscreen moment song
Serious confrontation song
Ambitious moment song
Romantic moment song
Theme song when main characters lock eyes

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Im having a job interview with a chinese company and it seems the interviewer is chinese as well here in Finland, any tips how to make the most face out of this

if it's a chinese company with chinese managers and is not in china, just run
it's going to be a china-bubble of business practices and you are going to hate every day. there was a reddit post from a year ago about one of these companies in California and how terrible it was

Haier posted:

Anyway, this turned the conversation into all the stupid poo poo people have said to me or about me, and then all the stupid poo poo people have done to me purposely because I am a foreigner. She refused to believe that Chinese can be so ignorant, and then got upset when I tried to convince her that everything I am saying is true.

Haha man, I swear every time you talk to a girl it's either "she got offended when I complained about China/Chinese people" or "she told me all of these things she hates about Chinese society (which I clearly steered the topic towards unless every girl in china is just itching to complain about China)"

I'm getting the impression that you're doing the American equivalent of that Chinese guy that goes "Ah, you're American, haha you bombed Japan! gently caress them, right? *thumbs up*"

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Guys do I hate China because I cracked up once when a guy told me his name was Wang Dong

when entering shanghai from pudong international airport you will drive along LongDong Avenue, and you will giggle. every time

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

but even now most people call it a western bar.

a saloon

YEEHAW!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i call gross white people trashpats because its a lot shorter than saying White Trash Expats

also i dont hate chinese people i just wanna stone cold stunner every blank-expressioned piece of poo poo blocking the sidewalks/escalators/doorways/elevators/lines/roads when im trying to live my life
it just happens that 98% of them are chinese people in china

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

THE PWNER posted:

Considering this thread tells me that foreigners cannot own property in China nor can they obtain permanent residency, I imagine most of the people in this thread are perfectly capable of relocating back to their home country, as they are not Chinese citizens.

Yet something keeps them in a place that they utterly despise. Is it really just a job? That's a pretty lovely reason to stay in a place that you hate.

LentThem posted:

nah bitch its just inertia im too lazy to go home

laffo at the idea of heading back to california without a job lined up and trying to hunt for one while securing an apartment/car/insurance/license that expired/transferring my chinese wealth 1 nugget at a time into a bank

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
when i was visiting a guy's house in Delhi i asked if I could use the bathroom before leaving, and he got all embarassed and said "okay, but the toilet is very different from what you are used to"

but it was just a squat toilet so i laughed and was like "hey its fine i've used these a bunch in china" and he was surprised that chinese people use them too i guess

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Invisible Handjob posted:

I have no idea, other than most Singaporeans I've met have been very smart people with excellent critical thinking so I rather doubt they just teach rote memorization. I also think they have a really good and unique math education system? I'm not totally sure though.

singapore IT admins are shockingly bad though
but actually slightly worse are the indians in singapore doing IT admin work

Fojar38 posted:

You know you're probably getting sick a lot because you're making GBS threads on the floor every day

i think it's because he picks meals the way he picks girls

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
There's a huge difference between a weightlifting squat where your feet are more than shoulder width apart, and a making GBS threads squat where your ankles are almost touching and your butt is lowered to almost ankle height. It's like comparing regular push-ups with diamond push-ups.

Now while you're off balance reach around behind yourself to wipe, unless you're one of those gross people that wipes back-to-front and approaches from under the balls.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Away all Goats posted:

It's fake. It's usually fake unless its a dashcam

speaking of dashcams i just remembered theres a really good chinese news segment educating and warning the public about the turn radius and blind-spots of those big construction trucks. the first two minutes of the segment are a traffic cam montage of people getting their heads messily pressed flat on the asphalt because they dont respect these huge vehicles and practically stand under them as they drive past

like im just imagining transformers running around and battling in Shanghai and pedestrians just strolling between their legs in the crosswalk and getting pulverized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Haier you should absolutely nut in a girl ten years younger than you that you've never seen in person and can only communicate with through machine translation

• Locked thread